Future tours affected by current reputation?

CMoody

As has been said before, on Internet message forums, the people who are negative tend to post more and the positive people don't. I think you are reading too much into that and into one show that you saw where the crowd wasn't so great. At the shows I attended in DC everyone loved it and there weren't that many complaints. All the things except for the lateness that people complain about have been part of her previous shows in recent years. Madonna has always expressed her political views, not done just hits and has dark themes, not just happy happy sing all the hits like the record. I don't think you necessarily have to be educated to enjoy her shows, but you do have to have an open mind to different things just like with modern art. If you are expecting just the conventional uncontroversial greatest hits show like other artists do, then I guess you won't like it. You just have to accept that she's not that kind of artist and doesn't want to be that way. If you approach the show with an open mind and not try to fit her into a preconceived notion of what a concert is, I think you can enjoy it even if you don't know all the songs from MDNA.

i like this post but try not to say things like 'everyone loved it' because you didnt ask everyone in the 15,000 seat arena...there were LOTS of complaints going on all night and on the trains home...not everyone loved it. I myself did, but not everyone loves everything.

Every show, every tour is going to have people who don't like it. That goes back to Virgin Tour up until now. My only personal experience of hearing numerous people bitch was after DWT shows. Other than that I've never personally heard a lot of complaints after her shows.

Every show, every tour is going to have people who don't like it. That goes back to Virgin Tour up until now. My only personal experience of hearing numerous people bitch was after DWT shows. Other than that I've never personally heard a lot of complaints after her shows.

Yes, that's true. Even I as a fan didn't like DWT too much! Not so much the lack of hits ,but just in general it seemed it was all dark whereas the current tour is a mix of light and dark. But I think the main reason I didn't enjoy it was my horrible seat. I had a seat near the back of the floor and with all the tall people standing up in front of me I could hardly see a thing! I don't remember exactly, but it didn't seem like it had a catwalk like her recent shows so you could still have a floor seat and not be able to see her very close.

i like this post but try not to say things like 'everyone loved it' because you didnt ask everyone in the 15,000 seat arena...there were LOTS of complaints going on all night and on the trains home...not everyone loved it. I myself did, but not everyone loves everything.

Of course, I didn't mean every single person loved it, it was just a figure of speech. Relax. But overall the vibe was very positive. You know what I meant so there's no need to jump on me and be so bitchy.

a casual fan I know that bitched about DWT is going to MDNA so there you go

Well, she's a lot friendlier and with more audience interaction on this tour than on the DWT. And you don't have the loud grunge/rock numbers in the first section that put some people off. Also, I think with DWT, people had super high impossible expectations because it had been so long since she toured.

Guest boytoyville

I truly believe that many of these people claiming to have seen the MDNA tour live are just haters watching on YouTube. And it's not just the Little Monsters either -- Madonna's attracted these sorts since day one. They claim it's the worst show ever and they walked out after three songs? Then how do they even know what the show is like? Either way, whether actually present or not, they went in looking to slag her. They can't stand to see her succeed.

As for future tours? Yes, she'll have to downgrade to arenas eventually without current hits, but she'll always be at the top of the league for solo singers. With Michael dead, no one else has the fanbase and the cultural reach she does.

I did see the tour live both nights in St. Paul. Was even in Golden triangle night one. However it is also a fact that one of the clients from my job and their entire group of 8 did leave after gang bang which is 3 songs in. My boss however stayed at the show but left before like a prayer to beat traffic. Anyone who was at the St. Paul concerts will tell you the crowd was horrid. My father and sister in upper tier night one said so as did friends. Night two my two friends on both sides of me were surprised how lame the crowd was. Those are the facts. I personally loved it and was up and dancing the whole time and didn't care if the people around me were bothered or not. I refused to sit doen when asked night two. I don't sit at Madonna. It's never going to happen. I think this is her best show IMO. Reminds me a lot of Blonde Ambition actually and that one also had mixed reviews and crowd reception and it's now a legendary tour.

I did see the tour live both nights in St. Paul. Was even in Golden triangle night one. However it is also a fact that one of the clients from my job and their entire group of 8 did leave after gang bang which is 3 songs in. My boss however stayed at the show but left before like a prayer to beat traffic. Anyone who was at the St. Paul concerts will tell you the crowd was horrid. My father and sister in upper tier night one said so as did friends. Night two my two friends on both sides of me were surprised how lame the crowd was. Those are the facts. I personally loved it and was up and dancing the whole time and didn't care if the people around me were bothered or not. I refused to sit doen when asked night two. I don't sit at Madonna. It's never going to happen. I think this is her best show IMO. Reminds me a lot of Blonde Ambition actually and that one also had mixed reviews and crowd reception and it's now a legendary tour.

I think it very well might be! :)

But this does somewhat prove the point: how can they judge a show when they walked out so early? They didn't even give her a chance. Some people go in with their minds already set. And good point about BA (and TGS as others have said). It's probably because, unlike most pop stars, she actually has legitimate things to say. People won't listen till they're ready.

I truly believe that many of these people claiming to have seen the MDNA tour live are just haters watching on YouTube. And it's not just the Little Monsters either -- Madonna's attracted these sorts since day one. They claim it's the worst show ever and they walked out after three songs? Then how do they even know what the show is like? Either way, whether actually present or not, they went in looking to slag her. They can't stand to see her succeed.

As for future tours? Yes, she'll have to downgrade to arenas eventually without current hits, but she'll always be at the top of the league for solo singers. With Michael dead, no one else has the fanbase and the cultural reach she does.

Not necessarily

She's doing stadiums at 48 - 50 and 54 and people who are half her age, male or female barely manage to sell out arenas with all of their abundance of so-called hits. Lady Gaga is the exception but it's just another example of hyped-up manufactured bubble success. You can spot the declining trend between her first record (wait they were two distinct records - another gimmick) and her *second* work, which was described as the work of the century (a Red one hook yes). It hardly impacted favourably for her during the long 10 months she spent promoting it desperately.

And let's face it BTW Ball is a flop on several accounts. Adele like wise on the recording side. Does anyone really think that her next album will sell another 20m + copies. Highly doubt it. How long can she go on singing those type of songs before people will get bored, especially nowadays

• 2 weeks later...

This tour was affected already for the reputation Stinky and Smell tour gave her, the most unispired tour Madonna has ever done.

Now she has had so many controversies, since she canceled the first Tel Aviv show for lack of sales compared to the last time. The cancelation of Aussie dates. Also the lack of hits is always a factor.

The only way she could have another succesful tour and maybe more profitable than S&S is doing a Farewell Tour full of hits. And it has to last at least 1.5-2 years. As you can see now, people are not intereseted in seeing her in big stadiums anymore. Just look at all Latin American places and some Europeans results, they are dissapointing compared to the previous tour.

Guest ditaluver

Well, she's a lot friendlier and with more audience interaction on this tour than on the DWT. And you don't have the loud grunge/rock numbers in the first section that put some people off. .

no instead we have loud violent bloody numbers lol

no instead we have loud violent bloody numbers lol

LOL....yeah, I love watching the faces of unsuspecting fans as the bloos splatters across the screens during GB. Classic Madonna shock factor! Loves it....

At this point, if casual fans feel too burned to see her again that's just the way it is. Maybe if her tour profits drop she'll show up on time. Then again, maybe not. I care less about the lateness than I do the quality of the show itself.

At this point, if casual fans feel too burned to see her again that's just the way it is. Maybe if her tour profits drop she'll show up on time. Then again, maybe not. I care less about the lateness than I do the quality of the show itself.

:clap:

I guess we are becoming very fast less fans/people who prefer this.

This tour was affected already for the reputation Stinky and Smell tour gave her, the most unispired tour Madonna has ever done.

Now she has had so many controversies, since she canceled the first Tel Aviv show for lack of sales compared to the last time. The cancelation of Aussie dates. Also the lack of hits is always a factor.

The only way she could have another succesful tour and maybe more profitable than S&S is doing a Farewell Tour full of hits. And it has to last at least 1.5-2 years. As you can see now, people are not intereseted in seeing her in big stadiums anymore. Just look at all Latin American places and some Europeans results, they are dissapointing compared to the previous tour.

Sticky & Sweet didn't get bad reviews overall though. In fact, for the general public I think it's by far easier to digest than MDNA. Her diehard fans on message boards were expecting more from S&S and were vocal, but the overall "casual fan" reception of that tour was fantastic as is MDNA.....overall.....it's just that those few that like to bitch and moan scream the loudest (I'm talking any issue aside from the late start times). I also don't think just because MDNA or any other future tour doesn't earn as much as S&S that means it's a flop. S&S is the most successful tour ever by a solo artist, that's a hard record to beat again and again, breaking your own record each time you hit the road, in fact she may never break that record. Whether she rakes in $400 million, $300 million or $150 million.....it's all a success any way you slice it.

Guest ditaluver

i have a love / hate relationship with S&S

while a lot of the songs on the setlist were great, her vocals stunk... ie Borderline = disaster

she looked terrible...just too skinny

hung up was the worst thing Ive ever seen

BUT I loved Beat goes on, Vogue, Die Another Day, Into the Groove, Heartbeat, Shes not Me, Music, Devil, Miles Away, Get Stupid and Like A Prayer

wish I could have seen part 2 with Holiday, Dress You Up and Frozen. Had those been in the first go around, I would have loved it even more.

The dancing was just ok.

For future reference, if you are too dim to understand Madonna doesn't sing a lot of hits or too dim to realize she goes on late so you either have to take off work the next day, go to work the next day tired or don't go at all. It is really that simple. The arena or stadium will still be more packed than any other singer can manage.

I spoke to a lot of casual fans last night while in line at various places in the arena before locking down in the GT.....and there were several direct remarks about S&S.....one lady referred to it as "crap".....she much preferred Confessions. S&S was a fun, high energy show, but I don't think it is a fan or even casual fan fave as its based on one of her least inspired eras.

For future reference, if you are too dim to understand Madonna doesn't sing a lot of hits or too dim to realize she goes on late so you either have to take off work the next day, go to work the next day tired or don't go at all. It is really that simple. The arena or stadium will still be more packed than any other singer can manage.

I don't agree with you at all. Most attendees do not follow Madonna the way we do, and honestly do not know to expect the show to start 3+ hours after the printed time on their ticket and not knowing this in no way makes them "dim". Most concerts start and finish before the midnight hour, allowing people to carry on with the regular lives the following day. There really is no excuse for the lateness, and if there is, there is no excuse for not informing your audience.

Seeing as the show is titled after her latest album, it should be expected that the setlist will rely heavily on this, but she is at the point in her career where her newer music is greatly overshadowed by her previous work and that is what the casual fans expect to hear. I believe that her shows are visually stimulating enough that casual fans would be more willing to overlook the unfamiliar music if she didn't piss them off by starting her shows when most people expect it to be coming to an end.

I think it's good that the US shows do state that she won't be coming on until 10.

This was a huge shock to me so I made sure I was relatively early as I was caught out before with Reinvention where she was on super early - I didn't expect her to be onstage till like 9 but she was on nearer 8 IIRC. Confessions also on soon. Maybe the change started with S&S which I regrettably missed.

I mean if you're told she's coming on at 10 that's all good.. some lateness can be expected, just as long as you're prepared all round. One theory I had was that artists don't like to play too late when they're older :lmao: some vintage acts I saw like Miss Ross were on again at that 8 pm time. How wrong can you be. :rotfl: I also thought RIT's earliness may be kids-related.

I spoke to a lot of casual fans last night while in line at various places in the arena before locking down in the GT.....and there were several direct remarks about S&S.....one lady referred to it as "crap".....she much preferred Confessions.

I think that's exactly the point, S&S was succesful only thanks to CT reputation, now MDNA is struggling thanks to S&S.

Here in Brazil things are not very different. It seems that people don't get excited for a Madonna concert anymore if we compare to Sticky And Sweet when it visited Brazil:the tickets then was sold out after only 24 hours,while it's been almost 7 months of sale and you can still buy tickets for some of the 4 concerts she's doing here (as far as I know,only the VIP Packages are sold out). Of course,in 2008 she came for the first time after 15 years and obviously got more attention than she's having now,tickets were cheaper,there was no Lady Gaga,etc. Now,on MDNA,she's struggling for the lack of interesting that brazilians are showing for internacional concerts in general,because of the high prices (i don't know about USA,but here a premium ticket costs 130% the value of minimum wage) and I bet that good part of the general public who attended SS here got frustrated because of bad spots or because couldn't see Madonna at all and now won't go again thanks of the awlful experience.

Well,in 2 weeks MDNA will start here. Maybe with the big press coverage when she arrive more tickets will be sold. There's already certain tickets with lower prices for some shows being sold...

Next album should be released later in 2014.nit the first half of the year. That worked once for ROL. That's all Then do promo appearances. Show what she can do. Then do the Grammys. Then announce the tour.

Basically do what she did with Confessions.

• 6 months later...
Guest SecretGarden

I wanted to start a thread like this but luckily I found this one.

Although I loved the MDNA tour, I could see why it might affect the success of future tours, firstly the set list - most casual fans go expecting a greatest hits type of tour, which MDNA was far from. Secondly her lateness, I heard reports of people walking out before the show had even started because she was so late, and thirdly I heard a lot of reports of awful sound quality at some shows - huge no no imo.

I feel if she wants another hugely successful tour she needs another COADF era, a widely successful album so people will actually know the new stuff as well as the old, and of course promo, she was lucky she had the Superbowl as promo for the tour, because I don't think Madonna can sell out a tour with her name alone anymore.

Anyway thanks for reading guys and would love to hear your thoughts too :)

Well, S&S affected the sales of the MDNA concert here in Sweden.

She barely filled up half the stadium with the bad reputation the 2009 concert left off.

And she got some massive criticism last year too, especially for being too late (she went on stage at about 11.30).

I don't really care too much, but the casual fans definitely do.

She really needs to employ a better sound engineer and hire a bigger abd better sound system especially for the prices she charges.

It's simply unacceptable for the sound to be anything but perfect when people are paying premium prices.

I saw Depeche Mode last week and the sound at the show was incredible. Crystal, clear no distortion amazing bass and

they only charge £55 for the best seats.