If "Burning Up" was released post-"Like A Virgin"...

Ugly Hecty

Where would "Burning Up" have charted if it was released after the "Like A Virgin" album?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. It would have been a...

• #1 hit
    • Top 3 Hit
    • Top 5 Hit
    • Top 10 Hit
    • Top 20 Hit
    • Top 40 Hit

I always thought that "Burning Up" deserved a sort of re-release. It's one of her most recognizable early tracks, and it's catchy as fuck. I always wonder how this song would have done had it been a Like A Virgin or True Blue single. The song is recognized as a Madonna classic, but not really a staple song of the '80s. :(

The fact that it only charted high in Australia (#13) is shocking. :ohmy:

Guest bluejean

I think it's the catchiest and best song on the Madonna album. It's exploding with energy. I love it. And the video was the perfect introduction to Madonna, even more than Borderline which is more laidback. Borderline is seriously overrated, I have no idea how that was her breakthrough song because its the least Madonna track imo.

I have no idea how Burning Up would have done. Definitely top 5. It should have been #1. Nice to see this track brought back on Reinvention, included on Celebration and even included in the Glee episode. Its actually quite insigificant really, virtually an album track so I'm surprised its receieved so much attention. Perhaps due to the quality of the song.

Also "Everybody" needed rerelease.

I agree. "Burning Up" definitely needed a re-release in the U.K. I think that it would have gone Top 5. I think that the problem is that too many Madonna singles were floating around in 1985, so throwing out another reissue may have been flooding the market. It would have been interesting to see though how it would have performed. I agree that it's one of her best songs and should have been a big hit worldwide. I love the video, too! So '80s. So early Madonna! Perfect. As for the U.S., a re-release would have been wonderful. However, I think that after having big success with "Holiday", "Borderline", and "Lucky Star" all U.S. promotion focused on the next album. It was ready to go, so any further potential hits were ignored to focus on the next album.

I often wonder why Burning Up was never released in the UK in the first place when it was released everywhere else and there was a video. Why did the UK record company go for Lucky Star when there wasn't a video recorded at that point?!?! She even performed BU on TV here!

But yes, in 1985 it would almost certainly have gone top 5 but with eight singles in the chart that year, there wouldn't have been room. However, I do think Borderline was a better re-release. Remember it had stalled at 52 in the UK the first time round and I think it's the stronger song. I heard they only re-released Borderline to detract from the release of Jellybean's Sidewalk Talk that was released.

^ Interesting! I assumed it was just record company greed again, Warners UK went overboard releasing drivel like One More Chance which didn't stand a chance of reaching the top 10 and another release too far that ruined her chart record. That should have stayed an album track.

Gambler clearly was the best extra single and really was crying out to be one. Sidewalk Talk is all kinds of amaze of course when it comes to early Madonna.

im not talkin about only 1985

they couldve re-released Everybody with hot remix much later like You Can Dance period or when Grazy For You and Holiday (again) were re-released during 1991 or even during the early 2000's with GHV2

Everybody is such a hot dance track its seriously overlooked its right up there with big hits like Just Dance

Guest bluejean

im not talkin about only 1985

they couldve re-released Everybody with hot remix much later like You Can Dance period or when Grazy For You and Holiday (again) were re-released during 1991 or even during the early 2000's with GHV2

Everybody is such a hot dance track its seriously overlooked its right up there with big hits like Just Dance

No it's not. 'Everybody' is highly overrated by her fans imo (and by Madonna herself.) I do like it but 'Burning Up' is a much better song.

Btw 'Crazy For You' and 'Holiday' were released in 1991 to promote TIC so that was not a time to re-release 'Everybody.' Perhaps putting the Stuart Price remix on one of the Confessions singles would have been cool.

No it's not. 'Everybody' is highly overrated by her fans imo (and by Madonna herself.) I do like it but 'Burning Up' is a much better song.

Btw 'Crazy For You' and 'Holiday' were released in 1991 to promote TIC so that was not a time to re-release 'Everybody.' Perhaps putting the Stuart Price remix on one of the Confessions singles would have been cool.

Emm...the facebook poll for the MDNA Tour showed that fans actually didn't care much for Everybody. It scored the least amount of votes out of all the singles from The First Album and this year is Everybody's 30th anniversary and the last section of MDNA screamed for a performance of Everybody, but no...She just went with Celebration as a one-song-only encore. Oh and Everybody also got cut from CT and was replaced with another bad re-invention of La Isla Bonita. So I personally, don't think that Madonna overrates Everybody at all!

• 3 months later...

I remember the song still being played occasionally on some nyc radio stations up until a few years ago. I agree that it would have been a bigger hit if it was released again in the eighties. It's actually one of my favorite songs from her eighties period, but I know most people would disagree.

Guest bluejean

Emm...the facebook poll for the MDNA Tour showed that fans actually didn't care much for Everybody. It scored the least amount of votes out of all the singles from The First Album and this year is Everybody's 30th anniversary and the last section of MDNA screamed for a performance of Everybody, but no...She just went with Celebration as a one-song-only encore. Oh and Everybody also got cut from CT and was replaced with another bad re-invention of La Isla Bonita. So I personally, don't think that Madonna overrates Everybody at all!

Everybody was included on The Girlie Show in 1993, and again on the promo tour for Confessions AND it was included on Celebration even though there are literally dozens of songs that deserve to be there more than that.

Borderline and Lucky Star have only been performed ONCE in that time and they were actually hits. Early hits like Gambler, Causing a Commotion and True Blue have been ignored on all compilations and tours since the 80's/early 90's so I think its fair to say Everyone is quite overrated by Madonna.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest bluejean

I meant since the 80's! Everybody has been performed on 2 tours and a promo tour since the 80's while Lucky Star and Borderline have only been performed once each since the 80's.

The point being Everybody, for a song that is basically unknown by the public gets alot of airtime with its inclusion on Celebration as well.

I can't think when would have been a good time to re-release Burning Up. Lucky Star as a re-release around the TIC era would have worked I think. For BU, in the UK 1985 would have been ideal if there wasn't all the other releases. If they were not so eager to record and release LAV, I wonder if the first album have had more success on it's own.

Edited by Alpha

Guest bluejean

This is kind of off topic but wouldn't Celebration have been a good opportunity to release a studio version of the Stuart Price remix of Everybody.

I don't think Everybody Stuart Price mix should have been on Celebration. As a B-side to a COADF single was a good suggestion. I love Everybody and the remix version, however I think as it was the first ever single that is why it gets what is considered extra attention. I mean we celebrated the 30th anniversay of it's release, in a way we probably won't for any of the other singles.

I really wished Warners released a deluxe version of celebration, 3 or 4 dics version that had rare tracks, B-sides, remixes such as the Stuart Price version.

B.U. is a great track and glad it was performed on RIT and almost on S&S.

But going back to the off topic , come on people say 'Everybody'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_6TfEUP3NU

. Early hits like Gambler, Causing a Commotion and True Blue have been ignored on all compilations and tours since the 80's/early 90's so I think its fair to say Everyone is quite overrated by Madonna.

If I had a choose out of

Gambler,

Causing a Commotion

True Blue

and

Everybody.

I would choose Everybody, I think it's the less dated.

If I added Burning Up to the list, I would find it hard to choose bewteen Everybody and B.U. as they are both great and happy that neither have been ignored since the 80's. If I never hear the other 3 again, I don't mind, they can stay in the 80's.

• 1 month later...
Guest Moonbeam

"Burning Up" is my favorite Madonna song, but I only went with Top 10. There was so much Madonna on the charts those days that I don't think it could have broken through to become a monster hit.

I think it's the catchiest and best song on the Madonna album. It's exploding with energy. I love it. And the video was the perfect introduction to Madonna, even more than Borderline which is more laidback. Borderline is seriously overrated, I have no idea how that was her breakthrough song because its the least Madonna track imo.

I have no idea how Burning Up would have done. Definitely top 5. It should have been #1. Nice to see this track brought back on Reinvention, included on Celebration and even included in the Glee episode. Its actually quite insigificant really, virtually an album track so I'm surprised its receieved so much attention. Perhaps due to the quality of the song.

Wow, I actually agree with your silly ass. I HATE Borderline and I'm not afraid to say it!!! Burning Up is FAR better!

• 1 month later...