UK CHART - THE SHOW IS OVER SAY GOODBYE!

horn

Guest groovyguy

Oh my. Never realised we had such freaks in here. I've obviously struck a few nerves and will go and listen to erotica. I still love her just don't like her at the moment.

And who are you calling freaks?

Madonna can never please everybody. She takes a risk and releases something unexpected, while some don't like it she usually gains new fans who like it. And next time it happens again.

As for UK. It would be Top 10 if they counted her all sales like everywhere else. People who got it with the album (excluded sales) won't buy it again.

GMAYL is not risky. It's kids pop music. Give us something with artistic merit.

That's exactly what people said when "Erotica" (album) was released. I vividly remember "Bye bye baby" and "Deeper and deeper" being called Kid music with no artistic or musical merit :angel:

Madonna can never please everybody. She takes a risk and releases something unexpected, while some don't like it she usually gains new fans who like it. And next time it happens again.

Yep,she can never please everybody.She went in a new direction (urban/R&B/hiphop) with 'Hard Candy' and many of the hardcore fans freaked out.And now that she's back with a Euro/techno/electronica dance sound (a 60s surfer sound on GMAYL),many of those same fans are still not satisfied.

As for UK. It would be Top 10 if they counted her all sales like everywhere else. People who got it with the album (excluded sales) won't buy it again.

I'm from the UK and have pre ordered MDNA deluxe on iTunes when it was first available and haven't bought the song again. I think the label clearly have focused on getting good album sales rather than the single in the top 10.

If I'm honest radio haven't supported this track really and the general public here probably don't know she has a song out. I know when I look on iTunes I tend to see what's in the top 10 or possibly 20 and then purchase the odd song . I think few people actually scroll down the top 100. If those single sales had been allowed and she'd been in the top 10 I'm sure she would have got more casual sales.

I also think in the UK Madonna is certainly NOT over. Nor have we turned our back on her. She will top the albums chart and the tour dates will do well here and keep selling nearer the time of the concert. BUT she does need to promote over here. Perform on TV. Magazines. Radio push - get interviews etc. The UK is a solid Market that she will always be able to succeed in but she has to do something to remind us of her brilliance. The Superbowl was amazing but only hardcore fans in the UK would have stayed up to watch it or record it. News did cover it but although it was positive it was only short lived.

I see GMAYL as a fun catchy song with great video. Is it a Madonna classic? No. It isn't her best lead single and doesn't compare to music or hung up but it's fun and fitted in well with superbowl. I do think her next song Girls Gone Wild will do the business in Europe. I also think MDNA will sell very well and at the end of 2012 we won't be focused on the chart position of GMAYL at all.

One final thing. There's a lot of nasty comments about Madonna, other artists and even between people on the forum. It's just not necessary. It's possible to love Madonna and lots of the other bands and artists that are around. Let's all enjoy the work she's done and her continuing success!

I'm from the UK and have pre ordered MDNA deluxe on iTunes when it was first available and haven't bought the song again. I think the label clearly have focused on getting good album sales rather than the single in the top 10.

If I'm honest radio haven't supported this track really and the general public here probably don't know she has a song out. I know when I look on iTunes I tend to see what's in the top 10 or possibly 20 and then purchase the odd song . I think few people actually scroll down the top 100. If those single sales had been allowed and she'd been in the top 10 I'm sure she would have got more casual sales.

I also think in the UK Madonna is certainly NOT over. Nor have we turned our back on her. She will top the albums chart and the tour dates will do well here and keep selling nearer the time of the concert. BUT she does need to promote over here. Perform on TV. Magazines. Radio push - get interviews etc. The UK is a solid Market that she will always be able to succeed in but she has to do something to remind us of her brilliance. The Superbowl was amazing but only hardcore fans in the UK would have stayed up to watch it or record it. News did cover it but although it was positive it was only short lived.

I see GMAYL as a fun catchy song with great video. Is it a Madonna classic? No. It isn't her best lead single and doesn't compare to music or hung up but it's fun and fitted in well with superbowl. I do think her next song Girls Gone Wild will do the business in Europe. I also think MDNA will sell very well and at the end of 2012 we won't be focused on the chart position of GMAYL at all.

One final thing. There's a lot of nasty comments about Madonna, other artists and even between people on the forum. It's just not necessary. It's possible to love Madonna and lots of the other bands and artists that are around. Let's all enjoy the work she's done and her continuing success!

As a fellow Brit - that was very well put! Totally agreethumbs.gif

Guest Xanthium

Well honestly Madonna releasing GMAYL makes more sense now when you realize it was specifically made for the Super Bowl. I thought she'd just promote a brand new single that had nothing to do with the Super Bowl but GMAYL was basically made for the event. It's got cheerleading chants, the song is very catchy and simplistic in the lyrics, something that is light-hearted and fun. Plus the music video is just one big Super Bowl commercial. I think in Madonna's brain she thought she was creating something that would fit perfectly for the situation. I think she knew it wasn't the next Like A Prayer or Vogue. But it wasn't supposed to be. I mean, by tying in a song to her venue she wasn't going to be able to promote a new song that sounded like Frozen. I don't know. That's my analysis. Who knows. We'll never find out, Madonna doesn't like to reveal how calculating she is. She wants us to think she just goes with what she likes the sound of.

Guest Xanthium

It will have a physical release, but not until early March. That said, yes, physical singles are completely irrelevant; they comprise only 1% of all single sales in the UK now. There's been talk that Universal & Sony will both be abandoning 2-track singles in France this year. As for HMV, I think they closed some absurd number of shops last year - like 60 or 70.

:shock: wow, I had no idea. Thanks for the info. I thought singles still thrived in Europe. Man, what a bummer. Poor HMV :( That store was fabulous.

There is no backlash in the UK, the song is simply horrible and that's all there is to it

and UK is the only country in the world who noticed this? wow they have such a good taste..

UK Top 10 must be filled with masterpieces of music...wait a second didn't UK make acts like Westlife big?

I cannot understand this "love-hate" sentiment. I mean. It's all very simple. Don't like what she's putting out now? Don't download. Don't buy! Don't like what and where she's performing? Don't attend! Don't like her interviews on TV. Don't watch! Don't like any of her other projects? Don't pay attention to them! You talk of many years of obsession, yet you sound like you're disliking her a lot now. In fact, you sound like a Madonna hater! Telling her to fxxk off? Seriously! Your negative comment about her Graham Norton's interview is very telling! Someone who's been a fan of 27 years should get Madonna and would not give that kind of comment. You say you want her to be successful yet you're not buying her song(s). Fine. I get it. You don't like the song. But why would you be concerned about her success when you're not supporting her? IMO, those who don't buy her records shouldn't complain about her 'poor' chart performance! Why do I get the strange feeling that the ones complaining and whining about her song(s) 'flopping' on the charts are the ones not buying?

Er, SORRY but who are you to tell anyone what they SHOULD and WOULD be doing? Not everyone can be CLICKETY CLICK 24 hours a day on all Madonna sites. He/she has a right to his/her opinion.

I don't get why people keep saying that the UK have abandoned Madonna when the album pre-sale was so big. Why would anyone buy the single again when they got it with the album pre-sale? And I'm not surprised it's now low in the itunes charts considering it's not available for another month. Nobody has seen the reviews yet so it's not likely to pick up the casual fan.

It's a shame Radio 2 haven't picked it up but Radio 1 said they weren't going to play it even before it leaked.

As for the concert, Hyde Park is actually better for a lot of people than Wembley which is in the arse end of nowhere. It's really easy to get to and lots of concerts are now staged there. However, it's just right before the Olympics at the start of the school holidays and just after the Queen's Jubilee celebrations. Bruce Springsteen is also playing three days before and there's a lot of love for him in the country at the moment. A real must see.

There's just too much going on over summer.

Guest groovyguy

Er, SORRY but who are you to tell anyone what they SHOULD and WOULD be doing? Not everyone can be CLICKETY CLICK 24 hours a day on all Madonna sites. He/she has a right to his/her opinion.

Likewise, who is anyone to tell Madonna what she should or should not be doing. Yes, everyone has the right to his/her opinion as I'm entitled to mine. And in my opinion, I cannot understand how someone can call Madonna a rude bitch on The Graham Norton show and telling her to fxxk off because she is a greedy bxxch to perform at Hyde Park. That's my opinion! So then who are you to tell me what opinion I can or cannot give? If I had gone to your other idol's thread to call her rude names and tell her to fxxk off, I think you'd be the first to voice your opinion on that.

I don't get why people keep saying that the UK have abandoned Madonna when the album pre-sale was so big. Why would anyone buy the single again when they got it with the album pre-sale? And I'm not surprised it's now low in the itunes charts considering it's not available for another month.

:clap::clap::clap:

A lot of negativity aimed at M on her own boards from her own fans. Frequently.

The same people that keep saying HC was a flop. The 15th best-selling album of the year. An album that had virtually no promotion at all on TV. Stop obsessing over Madonna chart position and appreciate the fact that at her age and after thirty years she still manages to look like she does, gets asked to take part in one of the biggest TV ventures ever, perform like she does AND score a top ten hit.

And the ones questioning her ability to generate more sold-out performances in the UK market are even more ridiculous.

Likewise, who is anyone to tell Madonna what she should or should not be doing. Yes, everyone has the right to his/her opinion as I'm entitled to mine. And in my opinion, I cannot understand how someone can call Madonna a rude bitch on The Graham Norton show and telling her to fxxk off because she is a greedy bxxch to perform at Hyde Park. That's my opinion! So then who are you to tell me what opinion I can or cannot give? If I had gone to your other idol's thread to call her rude names and tell her to fxxk off, I think you'd be the first to voice your opinion on that.

SURELY you must understand the difference between expressing your opinion about a celebrity and telling another fan to GO AWAY because he's not 100% on what MADONNA is doing. As for my OTHER IDOL (:D) you express your opinion and call her RUDE NAMES EVERY SECOND.

Did Radio 1 play Cherilyn? I think they did.. certainly up to that horrific version of Walking In Memphis and I presume Believe. Must have been more liberal then, and that was post-Banister shake up when they got rid of the Smashie and Nicey fossils.

Guest groovyguy

SURELY you must understand the difference between expressing your opinion about a celebrity and telling another fan to GO AWAY because he's not 100% on what MADONNA is doing. As for my OTHER IDOL ( :D ) you express your opinion and call her RUDE NAMES EVERY SECOND.

Sweetie, please read my post again and also read all the prior posts. Which part of my post tells him/her to go away? Giving my opinion that he/she doesn't have to support Madonna for the projects he/she dislike? He/She can bash Madonna all he/she likes. I have every right to give my opinion on that. To you, name calling Madonna and telling her to fxxk off might be opinions. To me, that's Madonna bashing.

Yeah, Radio 1 played Believe non-stop. However, in the last ten years Radio 1 has become increasingly focussed on youth rather that just being a 'pop' station. Radio 2, now the biggest radio station, has caught up and plays a much more diverse range of music targeting a really broad demographic. It's more of a concern they're not playing Madonna. They were playing Jessie J this evening so they haven't got a problem with trashy pop!

They were playing Jessie J this evening so they haven't got a problem with trashy pop!

:rotfl:

Give me "GMAYL-Madonna-not-at-her-best" over any of those younger stars really mediocre productions 6 studio albums in 6 years type of thing ANY DAY

Guest groovyguy

SURELY you must understand the difference between expressing your opinion about a celebrity and telling another fan to GO AWAY because he's not 100% on what MADONNA is doing. As for my OTHER IDOL ( :D ) you express your opinion and call her RUDE NAMES EVERY SECOND.

You do realize I haven't posted in your favorite thread for a long long time. And what RUDE NAMES have I called her EVERY SECOND? Please remind me! Or have you confused me with someone else? ;)

Radio 2 seem to have a problem with rap, but then if they wanted to they could create a rap free edit like they did of Crazy in Love.

or they could just play the demo.

Sweetie, please read my post again and also read all the prior posts. Which part of my post tells him/her to go away? Giving my opinion that he/she doesn't have to support Madonna for the projects he/she dislike? He/She can bash Madonna all he/she likes. I have every right to give my opinion on that. To you, name calling Madonna and telling her to fxxk off might be opinions. To me, that's Madonna bashing.

Your post was extremely patronizing and borderline insulting telling him to DO this, he SHOULD do that and HAND IN HIS FAN CARD etc. Who can dictate the way someone deals with their (self admitted) favorite artist? In any case, I obviously SHOULDNT have bothered.