Songs she almost performed

material_boy

What songs has she rehearsed to perform on tour, only to drop them from the setlist?

For instance, I can recall various rumors from the tours of the past decade, such as --

- "Open Your Heart" was supposedly rehearsed as a full performance, but dropped in place of the instrumental for the final show.

- "Dress You Up" and "I'm So Stupid" for the Re-Invention Tour -- and Madge was supposed to play electric guitar on both -- before dropping them because she had trouble learning the chords.

- "Everybody" was rehearsed for Confessions before being dropped for "La Isla Bonita." (Ugh.)

- "Deeper and Deeper" was rehearsed for Confessions before being dropped for "Erotica." (Yay!)

What other songs were rehearsed for shows before being axed? I'm especially interested to hear what was rumored to have been rehearsed for the pre-internet era tours.

The Virgin Tour

Love Don't Live Here Anymore

Blond Ambition Tour

La Isla Bonita

Drowned World Tour

I Want You

Re-Invention Tour

Love Profusion

I'm So Stupid

Take A Bow

Swim

Dress You Up

Live To Tell

Nothing Really Matters

I Love New York

Devil Wouldn't Recognize You

Confessions Tour

Deeper And Deeper

Everybody

Dress You Up

Sticky & Sweet Tour

Impressive Instant + Burning Up

Open Your Heart

Candy Perfume Girl

Justify My Love

Waiting

Dress You Up

Guest bluejean

I specifically remember alot of reports for Reinvention. But I'm sure most of the reports were just made up.

Wasn't it an interview with the guitarist or Stuart Price or something that confirmed most of the above? And of course the demos that have leaked etc.

• 2 years later...

Where did you hear that Waiting, JML and CPG were rehearsed for S&S?

Never heard about Waiting, but I, too, remember reading somewhere that a recorded version of JML was considered as an interlude for S&S and that CPG was replaced by Human Nature about two months before the tour startes. I think it might have been revealed by one the admins in the Tribe forum, though I could be wrong.

I specifically remember alot of reports for Reinvention. But I'm sure most of the reports were just made up.

Wasn't it an interview with the guitarist or Stuart Price or something that confirmed most of the above? And of course the demos that have leaked etc.

One of the RIT keyboard players, Mike McKnight, revealed in an interview with DrownedMadonna that this was the setlist when rehearsals for the tour started:

1. Vogue

2. Swim

3. Nobody Knows Me

4. Express Yourself

5. American Life (Headcleanr Mix)

6. Burning Up

7. Love Profusion (Headcleanr Mix)

8. I'm So Stupid

9. Hollywood (VMAs Mix)

10. The Devil Wouldn't Recognise You

11. Hanky Panky

12. Dress You Up

13. Take a Bow

14. Bedtime Stories (interlude)

15. Like a Prayer

16. Don't Tell Me

17. Mother and Father (promo tour version)

18. Live to Tell

19. Into the Groove (GAP mix) OR Holiday

20. Music

21. Crazy for You

22. Die Another Day

He also said that Stuart wanted Madonna to do Ray of Light as the finale, but Madonna felt that it would be too demanding, vocally.

The band had also prepared an alternate acoustic version of Love Profusion to be performed instead of Nothing Fails in Europe, but Madonna never rehearsed it.

One of the RIT keyboard players, Mike McKnight, revealed in an interview with DrownedMadonna that this was the setlist when rehearsals for the tour started:

1. Vogue

2. Swim

3. Nobody Knows Me

4. Express Yourself

5. American Life (Headcleanr Mix)

6. Burning Up

7. Love Profusion (Headcleanr Mix)

8. I'm So Stupid

9. Hollywood (VMAs Mix)

10. The Devil Wouldn't Recognise You

11. Hanky Panky

12. Dress You Up

13. Take a Bow

14. Bedtime Stories (interlude)

15. Like a Prayer

16. Don't Tell Me

17. Mother and Father (promo tour version)

18. Live to Tell

19. Into the Groove (GAP mix) OR Holiday

20. Music

21. Crazy for You

22. Die Another Day

He also said that Stuart wanted Madonna to do Ray of Light as the finale, but Madonna felt that it would be too demanding, vocally.

The band had also prepared an alternate acoustic version of Love Profusion to be performer instead of Nothing Fails in Europe, but Madonna never rehearsed it.

This would have been SUCH a different show. I wonder how late in the game they switched everything. Imagine if IGTTYAS had been a legitimate documentary about how she dealt with AL derailing and how that affected the tour.

This would have been SUCH a different show. I wonder how late in the game they switched everything. Imagine if IGTTYAS had been a legitimate documentary about how she dealt with AL derailing and how that affected the tour.

I dont see it as a very different show , we can easily identify the same sections

I dont see it as a very different show , we can easily identify the same sections

Similar sections perhaps, but the songs are more intense, less hit-y (though I don't subscribe to the RIT as a greatest hits school). I think it would have been more consistently aggressive

That initial RIT setlist had DYU, LTT and TAB, three top hits that didn't make the show.

DADay would not have been a great show closer. Even though "Celebration" or GI2M may not be the best, either, they're more upbeat and work better as closers.

More about I Want You for DWT:

MT: Did you happen to work on songs that were never used in the final set list? It has happened in other tours...

AM: Yes, actually the was one song that they wanted me to choreograph and that didn't make the final show.

It was "I Want You".

Madonna was supposed to wear this beautiful dress and she was supposed to be on a stage that moved over the audience and they took the idea out because it was going to cost too much money and she was going to loose a big part of the audience so they cut that out.

It was going to be a really beautiful, statuesque number, with limited amount of movement but very grand, beautiful movement with a wind machine blowing.

It was really a great concept.

http://www.madonnatribe.com/idol/magno.htm