Jason Derulo To Work With Madonna!

moe

I like Revolver. *runs away*

No need to "run away". Those in this thread taking shots at others because they like a certain song that they don't are just being childish. And yes, I think "Revolver" is a cool song. I actually like it better than "Celebration", but hell if I'm going to carry on excessively, berating someone for not liking it. Jesus!! Some people need to grow up and stop shit stirring in this thread. :wacko:

Guest edsalas

No need to "run away". Those in this thread taking shots at others because they like a certain song that they don't are just being childish. And yes, I think "Revolver" is a cool song. I actually like it better than "Celebration", but hell if I'm going to carry on excessively, berating someone for not liking it. Jesus!! Some people need to grow up and stop shit stirring in this thread. :wacko:

I was just kidding about the running away part. I actually like Celebration more than Revolver, but I like both songs. And I also like It's So Cool, which should have been added in the physical version of the CD not just for digital download.

You talked about reviews and what are reviews? Just someone's opinion (subjecting method to convey your views about something) about something, in this case, an album. Reviewers, especially the so-called music expert critics write a review about an album and do we always agree with what they write? Naturally no. If we all listened to the reviewers we wouldn't even try purchasing American Life album, for example and that would be sacrilege because American Life, at least in my opinion, it's the best album she's done since the new millenium despite the lousy rhymes and the overpreachiness in some songs but it's a gem of an album.

Reviewers don't hold the truth and before you say it, no, us fans don't hold the truth either but you cannot go on and say that an album is good because some reviews said so or an album is so-so because it got mixed reviews. Reviews do not reflect an entire population or a significant group, they just represent only the person who writes the review.

I bring up reviews because in the recent past many fans have used reviews and sales of HC as foundation to their claim that she's on the "downward spiral." I agree with everything you say. Whether it be from a professional or a fan, an opinion is an opinion and everybody has different ones. Which is precisely why Madonna should listen to herself. It just annoys me to no end to see people ONLY see things from their perspective (that goes for any subject...not just Madonna) and refuse to see the cold hard facts in front of them. Many here have the tendency to project their own opinions onto Madonna herself and ASSUME she's being forced to do a certain type of music etc because THEY don't like it. I find that arrogant and a tad insulting to Madonna as an artist. Obviously Madonna considers the opinion of others in regard to her music but I firmly believe she does what she wants to do in the end. Perhaps someone informed Madonna of this DeRulo guy (and others in the past) but ultimately it's her that chooses to collaborate with them.

M is not going to give up striving for chart success in the US.. she doesnt know how to give up.. how anyone can say Hard Candy was not a successful project is beyond me.. 4 Minutes is up there with Vogue for chrissakes!!

:blink: 4 Min will never have the kind of global iconic impact that Vogue had.

Are you talking about sales? If so you really cant compare. Being able to quickly buy and download a song in your home, or anywhere on the planet at this point is a hell of alot more different then they days of Vogue when you actually had to travel to a store to purchase the single. Lord knows if the kind of technology we have now was around when Vogue came out how many millions more it might have sold.

And if Madonna's goal is to get airplay in the US she really needs to stop. She can create some of the best music of her career with this album and they still are not going to play a woman in her 50s. And if by some amazing miracle she does score another huge radio hit it will only be a fluke at this point. That ship has sailed into the sunset. I swallowed the truth of that bitter pill a long time ago.

2 million downloads in 2008 is NOTHING compared to 2 million CD singles in 1990.

In 2005, the i-tunes store was not very popular. The first song that sold more that 1 million was Hollaback Girl, just a few months before Hung Up.

Hung Up had great digital sales for 2005 in the US! If it had been released in 2008-9 it would have hit 2.000.000 in the US for sure too! Like 4 Minutes.

Guest bluejean

2 million downloads in 2008 is NOTHING compared to 2 million CD singles in 1990.

In 2005, the i-tunes store was not very popular. The first song that sold more that 1 million was Hollaback Girl, just a few months before Hung Up.

Hung Up had great digital sales for 2005 in the US! If it had been released in 2008-9 it would have hit 2.000.000 in the US for sure too! Like 4 Minutes.

Exactly. The sales can't be compared to physical sales. How many CD singles did anyone person buy a year compared to how many songs they buy as downloads now. I would say for me, its triple the amount at least.

People download songs now in replacement of listening to the radio, just to hear a song they may not even know that well. So it's different.

Different or not, it still being bought. So what if people now can download the songs from the convenient of their home compared to traveling to buy the single. And it wasn't like most people didn't have a quick access to a music store even back in the 90's. The format of the song is irrelevant. If it's heavily sought after, than I don't see how it matters if it was sold physically or digitally. People still wanted the song. It just sounds we're just picking at bones here. The way music is moved changes constantly. No doubt, how people bought music in the early 90's is much different than in the 70's.

:thumbsup:

Different or not, it still being bought. So what if people now can download the songs from the convenient of their home compared to traveling to buy the single. And it wasn't like most people didn't have a quick access to a music store even back in the 90's. The format of the song is irrelevant. If it's heavily sought after, than I don't see how it matters if it was sold physically or digitally. People still wanted the song. It just sounds we're just picking at bones here. The way music is moved changes constantly. No doubt, how people bought music in the early 90's is much different than in the 70's.

So you rather see decline in quality and Madonna cater to US radio that doesn't give a shit about her just because of this one single? Please... Madonna's career is much more than the downloads for 4 Minutes, which really doesn't really say us anything anyhow.

4 Minutes is nothing compared to Madonna's previous work and those downloads in the US doesn't say shit. Hard Candy kind of flopped and atleast I would rather see a great album from Madonna again than some throwaway cheap single.

Guest gloriesbarcelona

this ho????

I usually dont say this about her collabs but OH HELL NO!!!!

Oh so there he is, the one responsible for the butchered version of the amazing Hide and Seek by Imogen Heap :confused:

TERRIBLE... double and triple :nocomment::nocomment::nocomment:

So you rather see decline in quality and Madonna cater to US radio that doesn't give a shit about her just because of this one single? Please... Madonna's career is much more than the downloads for 4 Minutes, which really doesn't really say us anything anyhow.

4 Minutes is nothing compared to Madonna's previous work and those downloads in the US doesn't say shit. Hard Candy kind of flopped and atleast I would rather see a great album from Madonna again than some throwaway cheap single.

I didn't say that. That's you putting words in my mouth. Simply put, I was addressing the fact some are making these critical comparisons to her selling 2 million in physical sales versus digital. To me, it is no different. Both songs were sought out after and both got a lot of radio play. I never said once "4 Minutes" is on the same level as "Vogue", because I do agree years down the line "4 Minutes" will probably be less remembered than "Vogue". But we can't diminish the impact it still had.

As for catering to the U.S. market, you are fooling yourself if you don't think it matters. It's every musicians dream who is looking for global success to conquer the U.S. market. It's a vast land, and it can make or break a lot of careers. I also believe Madonna is always looking to dominate the U.S. market again as she has in the past. It doesn't mean she's resorting to producing poor quality music. You can't really believe she goes in the studio and thinks... "I'm going to produce a crappy song with a crappy producer that will work in the U.S., to gain a big hit". That is just ridiculous. HARD CANDY may not lived up to some expectations, but to me it's just Madonna trying to mix it up a bit. It's not my favorite album, but like every album there are some awesome songs I like on the album. And no doubt, Madonna was hoping to bring on some popular U.S. producers to help get her groove back in the U.S., but I'm sure she knows there is no guarantee.

In any event, it's not so much that her music is the problem. Hard Candy should have done well in the U.S. Many of the songs on that album should have been big smashes on American radio. And you can bet, if she was 20 years younger, people would be all over it. The proof is in the pudding. The many female acts (whether you like them or not) who have produce similar pop music as she has throughout the years and are getting great exposure. Some would say these acts are producing "crap music" as well, but it isn't stopping them getting huge airplay and exposure.

Anyway, I think we're getting way off topic here. I don't believe the quality of her work has diminished. And I don't think it's being further diminished simply because she chooses to work with a producer or song writer some fans do not like. And I agree with some others here that it's quite ridiculous to judge the work between her and Jason Derulo before anything has even been heard. And even if you don't like Jason's music, it doesn't mean the two can't make good music together.

I also agree that if she listened to most of the fans here, she probably wouldn't even have a career in music at this point. She's always done her thing, and she manages to still do pretty damn good for herself even thirty years later. Certainly, she could lose some fans, but it seems with each album she makes up that up by gaining new fans. She isn't going anywhere. And this idea that fans have that she has to produce another album on the level of "Ray of Light" again, is only setting some fans up for a let down. You don't go in the studio and manufacture a great album. It just happens. And like with EVERY artists who tend to stay a float in the music business, they will definitely produce some great albums and some that aren't so great. But of course, that simply is individual opinions. Since her very first album, I haven't been disappointed. Certainly, there have songs and videos I didn't particularly like, but all in all, I still enjoy her. I don't spend time bitching about what she could've and should've done and just enjoyed/appreciated what she did do.

Guest groovyguy

... Since her very first album, I haven't been disappointed. Certainly, there have songs and videos I didn't particularly like, but all in all, I still enjoy her. I don't spend time bitching about what she could've and should've done and just enjoyed/appreciated what she did do.

thumbs.gif

@ neutrocks

Just face it; The US radio DOESN'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT MADONNA! The faster we acknowledge this, the faster we could drop it as an argument. She tried it, it didn't really work out. Let's not go there again.

Why declining in quality to cater to these radios that never will bother!? It's a waste of time really and it'll just hurt her career in the long run. People expect quality music from Madonna and not some shallow cater to US teens shit that won't get US airplay anyways.

and again the US hasn't been her strongest market since prior Ray of Light... and never will be again it seems no matter if she brings in all those "hot producers of yesterday".

I know the US is still the biggest market (although I'm really questioning if it really can be considered that since album sales are better in Europe these days in general)... but still... but Madonna is way more than just some throwaway singles artists... if she releases a great album, the sales will be good enough for these times... but if she will focus on easy on the ear singles and not enough quality albums, her career will really start to hurt.

I know she needs hits aswell, but since US radio doesn't bother about her music, she should just focus on doing great music and not what could appeal to radios that doesn't bother no matter what she does. Atleast her album sales will be better I think. In the past she managed to make quality music hits, she doesn't need to lower herself to cater to some ignorant US radio programmers that will not play her anyways.

You already have a copy of the next lp?

Stop acting like Pud, there's only one Pud :inlove: You're just a wannabe.

Based on what he already did, this producer IS SHIT.

Timbaland did his usual stuff with Madonna, so don't play the "with Madonna it's going to be different" card :lmao:

Um. I'm not trying to be anyone. I just don't get why anybody would waste their time judging a record before even hearing it. I mean, I don't like EVERYTHING that M has done, but I do think she is pretty amazing and that's why I'm a fan. Not because she unearths the latest and greatest. Timbalands sound on Hard Candy was formulaic and old, but that doesn't mean it was bad material and she certainly performed the hell out of those songs when I saw her live. Tell me, hearing she was working with which producer would make you happy? I am actually super fucking excited for a new album.

Well, it is VERY understandable if she is linked with a producer who makes shitty music. I'm not saying we should all bring out the pitchforks, but there is nothing wrong with disagreeing with a possible collaboration. Though it looks like this will turn into nothing. Thankfully.

@ neutrocks

Just face it; The US radio DOESN'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT MADONNA! The faster we acknowledge this, the faster we could drop it as an argument. She tried it, it didn't really work out. Let's not go there again.

I have nothing to "face". I am totally aware US radio will probably not give her the time of day unless it's a fluke interest or tied to another popular artist of the day. And that is why I'm sure Madonna knew working with Timbaland and Timberlake could boost interest in her work. And it worked for "4 Minutes". Unfortunately, it didn't seem to work for the full album. Does that mean I think the album is trash. NO. It's purely opinion anyway. The fact I think some people need to face here is that no matter what music she produces, she's still going to have a hard time pushing it, especially within sales. Why? Because we unfortunately live in an ageist society. More so, in the U.S. than anywhere else. But to just assume she should just give up all together in trying to appeal to the U.S. market is ridiculous to suggest when it's known to the world to be the biggest entertainment market, even if album sales aren't that great anymore. It still doesn't negate the fact that most musicians would give their left tit or left nut (or both) to gain any U.S. recognition. And we're talking about Madonna here... she defies whatever placed in front of her. She's proved it time and time again. It's just going to take a lot of work on her part as well as her backers/promoters to keep people interested and not having people think... "Oh gawd, why is that old hag still trying to make music?" And the sad fact is that a lot of people think that. Even though, some of the greatest musicians are our veteran ones. In fact, most produce their best work as they get older.

Why declining in quality to cater to these radios that never will bother!? It's a waste of time really and it'll just hurt her career in the long run. People expect quality music from Madonna and not some shallow cater to US teens shit that won't get US airplay anyways.

You do realize most of the entertainment world (WHEREVER) caters to teens and young adults? It's been like this for decades, so I am not sure why you even bring up U.S. music/entertainment caters to "teens" when that is exactly where Madonna started over 25 years ago and where music is mostly aimed at... the younger generation. Again, I am not the one having issues facing facts here. I am full aware that less and less people under the age of 30 are interested in Madonna. And that unfortunately is due to her own age. Teenagers and young adults do not wish to enjoy (even great music) from some 50 year old (who are the ages of their parents or grandparents) when they can enjoy entertainers (no matter how awful some may think they are) that are closer to their age bracket. And let's be clear... I am not saying it's fair, nor do I think it should ever be this way, but it's a sad sad fact in our society. Madonna is unfortunately falling into an age bracket that the majority of the public will not pay attention to in the entertainment business.

and again the US hasn't been her strongest market since prior Ray of Light... and never will be again it seems no matter if she brings in all those "hot producers of yesterday".

I actually don't disagree, but that is simply do to the fact of her age, not because the quality of her music. But of course, everyone has their opinion, but I don't think Madonna would be even as popular as she is today if all she did is produced crappy music since RAY OF LIGHT. And that isn't the case, because enough people still love her and enjoy her. Her back catalog helps out a lot too. People shouldn't necessarily look at the producers and such she hooks up to... to determine if her music is going to be crappy. And honestly, I find it rather funny how a lot of fans base how great she is or her album is by how many albums she can sell or who she does or doesn't hook up with when producing these records. It seems to me that with every album that comes out the fans are raving about it (which a lot of fans did rave about Hard Candy), but after so many weeks and seeing the album wasn't selling very well, it seemed fans decided to jump on this band wagon in trashing the album.

The thing is... I go to the torrent sites. Madonna's HARD CANDY is still heavily downloaded/shared. I have to wonder if we didn't have the access to transferring her music so easily, that her albums would have sold more. That goes for other artists as well.

I know the US is still the biggest market (although I'm really questioning if it really can be considered that since album sales are better in Europe these days in general)... but still... but Madonna is way more than just some throwaway singles artists... if she releases a great album, the sales will be good enough for these times... but if she will focus on easy on the ear singles and not enough quality albums, her career will really start to hurt.

It is the biggest market. It is also the biggest crossover as well genre span as well. This is why sometimes it can be tough to become a success in the U.S. We have so many genres of music that you have a lot of competition. It seems the Country music and Pop/rock are two of the biggest. I guess Hip/hop and R&B fits in the latter group these days as well. But again, releasing a "great album" doesn't guarantee a successful album. Again, "quality of an album" is simply "opinion" anyway. One man's garbage can be another's treasure.

I know she needs hits aswell, but since US radio doesn't bother about her music, she should just focus on doing great music and not what could appeal to radios that doesn't bother no matter what she does. Atleast her album sales will be better I think. In the past she managed to make quality music hits, she doesn't need to lower herself to cater to some ignorant US radio programmers that will not play her anyways.

Why do you assume she doesn't focus on trying to produce "great music"? Just because she doesn't work with the producers you like, etc?? And answer me this? When has Madonna EVER listening to her fans regarding who she worked with, even within the beginning of her career? She's never!!! As someone stated earlier in this thread, if she listened to her fans, she'd be nowhere right now.

And I am not too worried regarding her not getting radio succes, because the fact is that Madonna has a huge fan base. Will always have one. Some fans will always be picky. Some will love simply her past, other's will enjoy her newer work, while others will enjoy it all. Nothing wrong with that at all. What I just find irritating is how some measure the success or quality of an album based on how many albums she sells or who she collaborates with. Yeah... well... she's human. She'll produce some stinkers, but over the years, she's generated enough interest to herself and her music that there are too many people who just enjoy listening to her. Unfortunately, her biggest market (the U.S.) is slimming down. It's not the quality of her work is the problem. I think she sets out to produce great work with each album. Doesn't mean it will catch on, and fans will love it as much as the last album or previous one. Nor does it mean it's going to always appease the fans.

The fact I've faced is that Madonna is unfortunately loosing people's interest, not based on quality of music. It's based mainly on her age. You can keep screaming... "no, it's the quality of her music", but that's just not true because back in her hey day, her audience were those same "shitty teenagers" who got her where she is today. And I was a teenager back then, and I recall the older generation bagging on Madonna as you are today of the "teens" you claim have shitty taste.

It's an ageist society we live in... especially the U.S.

Well, it is VERY understandable if she is linked with a producer who makes shitty music. I'm not saying we should all bring out the pitchforks, but there is nothing wrong with disagreeing with a possible collaboration. Though it looks like this will turn into nothing. Thankfully.

Thank you.

According to chart rules 1 digital sale is equal to 1 CD. It does not matter what we the people think and we can argue over it all we want. People should not discriminate between CD's, casettes, records, digital sales - digital sales might be cheap but still plenty of people dont bother downloading legally. Theres no need to be snobbish about it.

Thank you.

Look, of course you have your right to an opinion, but I just don't understand that way of thinking. Were you a fan of Mirwais before music, of William before Ray of ligt, of Stewart before Confessions? I understand that with Timbaland, the sound was VERY prevalent in the charts at the time and it can be very annoying. I just don't obsess over her producers.

Yes, I loved those producers as soon as there were rumors about a collaboration with Madonna. I bought the albums, so I loved what they did before Madonna.

I like Justin, and I was actually very happy about him, but the results are not so great (I love Miles Away and the other songs they did on the album but it's Timbaland's production the problem for me and I liked the stuff he did with Nelly Furtato and even better Aaliyah and Missy). I just adore Pharrel and thank god, I really like what he did with Madonna.

So yes, this new producer sounds like shit to me.

she should collaborate with gaga

She wishes! Beyonce got there first!

As for people jumping to conclusions about the new producers - go ahead, that is what the forum is for. Jason Derulo has produced some shitty records for tweenies but I don't believe he's doing anything with M. If he does, I'll see how it turns out but I reserve the right to bitch and moan on a forum for shits and giggles.

@ neutrocks

I think you missed my point. She doesn't have to work with producers "I" like. As a matter of fact most of the people she worked with prior were mostly unknown (to me atleast) and what was so great with her is that I as a fan knew I could trust her choice and not at all because I knew what would come, but the total opposite.

I had no clue really what to get and I liked to be surprised and I liked her taking chances and challenges. What made her so great is that she came with something unexpected. Guetta/Timbaland/Timberlake and whoever though is not the Madonna I love atleast and many would agree with me, just reading those names... don't have to say much more than that.

With that said, Hard Candy is not a bad album, but it remains her least inspired one though.

And don't start with something like "But Madonna was never underground", because I'm not one of those who has been saying that. But she had that sense to still make pop music exciting and fresh and she often found that middle path contemporary and yet not contemporary and the power to make it well; contemporary and that's unique. She didn't really jump the bandwagon, atleast she was current when joining trends, not as with Hard Candy and what a Guetta thing would be.

Madonna is over 50, she doesn't need to cater to American teens even if this is your opinion. When she makes quality exciting music again; the word of mouth will work it's magic. Do you think the "Ray of Light" album cater to teens? Not really, but still alot of youth loved many of the songs because of the high quality and that it had something that set it apart from other contemporary music. A good album will always find its way to people (if the act is somewhat known atleast) and she is, her name is already out there and it's better for her to attach that name that so many still respects to yet again one of those exciting fresh albums that doesn't try to be anything else but just pure quality and freshness.

It's a matter of choice. I want her to surprise and excite us all again and well, I'm happy for you if you'd be excited with a Guetta/Derulo album, but I know she's capable of so much more and it's like throwing it all away and accepting it knowing she is SO much better as an artist is kind of sad.