What was the last Madonna album that lived up to your expectation?

johnnox

Oh, toots. If you think that "Confessions" is "dark, gloomy, murky and experimental" you must live in a world of pastels, pinks and neon lights! The odd track on it is reflective, but it is an unabashed pop album. She was hardly stepping on PJ Harvey's toes with it, was she?

Which is why I said "by mainstream pop standard" hon :lol:

Guest Danny86
Hard Candy is her lightest album since the Who's That Girl soundtrack. Almost everything from Like a Prayer to COADF is pretty dark, gloomy, murky and experimental.

Dark doesn't mean you can't dance to it. I guess you'd call the Calderone remix of "Beautiful Stranger" as dark and experimental because has heavier beats than "Celebration"? :doh: A lot of European club music is as "dark" as the album, there are dozens of "trance" songs that sound identical to "Get Together" for example. I don't see what's misleading in the sticker, it reflects that the songs are mixed together and it's all uptempo. The sticker didn't say all the songs are about partying or something like that.

Also, that's quite a stretch to call 20 years of Madonna music being dark, gloomy and experimental. I'd even go as far as saying AL is very light with the acoustic guitar overplay except NKM, DAD and ER of course, I certainly don't see how SNM, Incredible, Dance 2Night, DWRY or Voices would be lighter than stuff like "Runaway Lover", "Love Profusion" or "Hung Up". I'd say only MA, BGO and SL are the real light moments on HC (since the majority of the album relies on heavier beats than COADF).

Confessions is a little bit darker and more laid back than the sticker on the album would lead you to believe, I agree with that. It's not a dark album though. Hard Candy is more of a dance album than Confessions when I listen to it, though some people hear an R&B album there.

Guest bluejean

Confessions has a dark vibe to it on alot of the tracks, I agree. Dark doesn't have to mean down tempo.

I would say Hung Up is a "gay coma" record, but overall the album is not as gay as say, Kylie's Light Years album or Geri Halliwell doing It's Raining Men.

Confessions has a dark vibe to it on alot of the tracks, I agree. Dark doesn't have to mean down tempo.

I would say Hung Up is a "gay coma" record, but overall the album is not as gay as say, Kylie's Light Years album or Geri Halliwell doing It's Raining Men.

This. THIS.

Well, of course it's darker than Alcazar performing Crying at the Discotheque or Krystel Carrington brushing her hair, but if you compare it with Madonna's albums, it's bright and joyful and full of glitter.

I think there are dark and seedy undertones to COADF, but the overtones are very much woo woo! I mean that's the whole reason that it is called CONFESSIONS on a DANCEFLOOR. It's what disco was...a paradox of dark and light.