What was the last Madonna album that lived up to your expectation?

johnnox

Guest gloriesbarcelona

American Life I loved instantly.

Confessions I HATED the first few listens and the Euro-Dance-Trash-Crap sound to it. If it hadn't been Madonna I wouldn't have bothered a second listen. Then I got used to it and I now think it is a strong album/era.

If the next album is as lacklustre and as uninspired as Hard Candy, then I don't think she will ever be a creative and vital force in music anymore.

Unfortunatly I'll have to agree. HC is a pleasant listen but as a whole I got tired of it very quickly. I've not played it in months, I think it was quite a lazy effort.

Confessions I HATED the first few listens and the Euro-Dance-Trash-Crap sound to it. If it hadn't been Madonna I wouldn't have bothered a second listen. Then I got used to it and I now think it is a strong album/era.

The same thing exactly happenned to me with COADF.

Guest ursaminorjim

Whoa. :shock: So HC has outdone Erotica and Music in your book?

Yeah, it has. Don't get me wrong - those are both incredible albums, and the high points of both are greater than the ones on []Hard Candy[/i]. But in terms of consistency? Hard Candy is just a much more coherent album for me.

Yeah, it has. Don't get me wrong - those are both incredible albums, and the high points of both are greater than the ones on []Hard Candy[/i]. But in terms of consistency? Hard Candy is just a much more coherent album for me.

I agree totally. I'd take the best tracks from Erotics over anything on Hard Candy, but Erotica has a lot of tracks that I skip all the time. I can play Hard Candy all the way through without skipping and enjoy everything... actually, I don't like 4 Minutes but if I let it play I always think "oh not as bad as I think it is...."

I dont think I was ever really let down as much with American Life. I've reached an all time low with American Life to be honest. Looking back to it though, it had some good melodies, American Life(the song) had an amazing melody, first time I heard it I was in a hostel in San Francisco(that was the day it leaked online, or a few days after)I was there for spring break and the guy that worked the front desk must have been a big Madonna fan coz he was playing it. Xstatic Process is another that I appreciate in terms of melodies.

Good thread :)

Hard Candy...for many reasons, among them these:

Beat goes on...damn great vibe and beat(damn pitty was not released as a single)

She's not me...great lyrics and great tune(damn it never being a single!)

Heartbeat...sweet and rythmic

Miles away...adore it

Voices...haunting, although it's similarity with thief of hearts, which is one of my all time faves from her

Devil wouldn't recognize you...so sweet and mysterious and would have been wonderful on AC radio

Incredible...first didn't like it, but then i grew up on it...now i love it!

the other tracks are fine as well

I totally agree. The songs in HC used to be in my Top 25 Most Played in my iTunes. #1 & #2 now are both from Hard Candy.

^Caked Up Abe Shit in his TIMID mode :lmao:

Im feeling so sentimental right now. I'm listening to the Avenue songs Ursula Jemima posted. :) I feel so lush and plush like a poodle plush toy. I cant help it :inlove:

Guest bluejean

Everytime a new album comes out I'm overwhelmed with excitement because it's new Madonna music, and I get into it straight away. It's only as time passes that I can start to judge the album more honestly.

I would say the most underwhelming initial response was to Confessions. It seemed like an album with 5 stand out songs and the rest filler. But over time it grew on me as a whole and I would say it's the strongest of the past decade.

Ray Of Light I LOVED immediately, and to this day I still love it.

Music I loved immediately but 10 years later I would say it has some fantastic songs with quite abit of filler.

American Life I was really into at the time but these days I'd say it's one of the weakest albums and nothing stands out on it.

Hard Candy I LOVED as soon as it came out and thought it was better than Confessions, but now the dust has settled I'd say it's a great album overall but lacks the classic pop songs/singles Confessions had.

Bedtime Stories I wasn't that into as it seemed abit too laid back but these days it's one of my favourites to listen to.

Everything prior to that i would say I was too young to really have strong expectations. I wouldn't say I've really ever been hugely disappointed with any album, every album seemed exciting at the time.

Probably "Music" was the last one that truly lived up to what I hoped for.

As much as I loved "Confessions" it wasn't the album that I hoped a collaboration between her and Stuart Price would generate. I expected something far more creative and ground breaking, but they went down the "fun" route. Nothing wrong with that, and they delivered what is probably Madonna's most consistently enjoyable album ... but I expected to be staggered. (So it's doubtful anything could have lived up to that.)

Guest ElectricFeel

Probably "Confessions". A great pop album.

Madonna hasn't released an overly bad album. Sure, Some are weaker than others, but her albums never go below being good and are always worth the money.

Edited by ElectricFeel

Probably "Music" was the last one that truly lived up to what I hoped for.

As much as I loved "Confessions" it wasn't the album that I hoped a collaboration between her and Stuart Price would generate. I expected something far more creative and ground breaking, but they went down the "fun" route. Nothing wrong with that, and they delivered what is probably Madonna's most consistently enjoyable album ... but I expected to be staggered. (So it's doubtful anything could have lived up to that.)

COADF is NOT a fun album :lol: Musically, it's quite dark by mainstream pop standard. Who on earth would dance their asses off to "Forbidden Love", "How High", "Isaac" or "Like It or Not"? No one.

But then you put inverted commas there.

I think it was Ray of Light.. I was impressed on first listen, from beginning to end..

The others that followed after, such as Music and American Life, took me a while to get into at first, and there are some songs on those records which I like better than the Ray of Light material now.

Confessions turned out to be good as well.. Initially, I was a little unsure when I heard a small preview of "Hung up", but I was happy with it when I heard the record in its entirety for the first time.

COADF is NOT a fun album :lol: Musically, it's quite dark by mainstream pop standard. Who on earth would dance their asses off to "Forbidden Love", "How High", "Isaac" or "Like It or Not"? No one.

But then you put inverted commas there.

Er, honey, it has a sticker on it saying "The non-stop, all-dance, tour de force"! Some of the songs may have emerged as rather reflective but make no mistake, this was conceived as an uptempo record. Even three of the songs you've mentioned there as being non-dance ARE dance-influenced: "How High" and "Forbidden Love" have a very euro-disco production and "Issac" could have come straight off a Cafe Del Mar compilation.

Besides, the great majority of the album you could easily dance to.

Er, honey, it has a sticker on it saying "The non-stop, all-dance, tour de force"!

A rather MISLEADING sticker that is. :queenbitch:

Hard Candy is her lightest album since the Who's That Girl soundtrack. Almost everything from Like a Prayer to COADF is pretty dark, gloomy, murky and experimental.

A rather MISLEADING sticker that is. :queenbitch:

Hard Candy is her lightest album since the Who's That Girl soundtrack. Almost everything from Like a Prayer to COADF is pretty dark, gloomy, murky and experimental.

Oh, toots. If you think that "Confessions" is "dark, gloomy, murky and experimental" you must live in a world of pastels, pinks and neon lights! The odd track on it is reflective, but it is an unabashed pop album. She was hardly stepping on PJ Harvey's toes with it, was she?