Many insiders say Gaga's VMA performance tops Madonna

Guest dicktracy

The problem I have is how many artists these days are spoke about as if they are icons and legends in the making after a handful of hits, an album and some press. I'm not just referring to Gaga. Maybe Gaga will indeed have a Madonna sized impact on music/pop culture in the coming years. However, I don't see how this VMA performance and her (thus far) "dime a dozen" hit songs are any indication of that. All this "Gaga is a legend in the making" crap just seems so premature. The bitch has one album let's not get ahead of ourselves here...lol. Yes, the girl has a knack for theatrics on stage.....I guess that's SHINY AND NEW to Gaga's demographic who have grown up with a bunch of "superstars" that all want to look and sound alike....but let's be real here, anybody who is over 25 has seen what Gaga is doing done better by other artists.

M's VMA performance has been listed as one of the most important pop culture moments because according to an Entertainment Weekly editor: "What Madonna did with that song was to make the visual sell of the song maybe even more important than the song itself. And that was a revolution that has lasted for 20 years and counting."

What revolution did Gaga start with her performance?? :)

The problem I have is how many artists these days are spoke about as if they are icons and legends in the making after a handful of hits, an album and some press. I'm not just referring to Gaga. Maybe Gaga will indeed have a Madonna sized impact on music/pop culture in the coming years. However, I don't see how this VMA performance and her (thus far) "dime a dozen" hit songs are any indication of that. All this "Gaga is a legend in the making" crap just seems so premature. The bitch has one album let's not get ahead of ourselves here...lol. Yes, the girl has a knack for theatrics on stage.....I guess that's SHINY AND NEW to Gaga's demographic who have grown up with a bunch of "superstars" that all want to look and sound alike....but let's be real here, anybody who is over 25 has seen what Gaga is doing done better by other artists.

M's VMA performance has been listed as one of the most important pop culture moments because according to an Entertainment Weekly editor: "What Madonna did with that song was to make the visual sell of the song maybe even more important than the song itself. And that was a revolution that has lasted for 20 years and counting."

What revolution did Gaga start with her performance?? :)

Honestly, I don't think of Ga Ga sounding or looking like anyone. I mean; very few entertainers dress like the way she does. In the 80's, we had a lot of flamboyant acts, but by the end of the decade, either those entertainers proved to be a flash in the pan or disappeared. If anything, L. Ga Ga brings a little bit of that nostalgia back from the 80's, just like the many re-incarnations Madonna went through that was a throw back to early screen legends, etc.

I just find it interesting, some are saying Madonna didn't pull stunts for attention. She did!! Maybe there was some initial statement behind it, but isn't that what most artists do anyway? It's really quite contradictory to say any entertainer (even Madonna) isn't looking for attention, when that's their whole act. To gain attention, so people will pay attention to what they have to say, or the music they are making, etc. It's all part of the process. Very few acts can just simply release an album and not assert themselves and gain the popularity Madonna or Ga Ga has.

I don't know where Ga Ga will be in 10 or 20 years. I am not claiming she's going to be a "legend" and I think much of that talk is do to some people just trying to make silly comparisons. Make it a competition of some sort. The truth of the matter is; Ga Ga has made a culture impact in this age. It may be a small one or it may expand to something huge in later years. We'll just have to wait and see. We wouldn't be having this discussion if we didn't really think Ga Ga may actually stick around for just one album. But again, that will remain to be seen. I personally enjoy her music. Her costumes are quite eccentric and ridiculous. I see it as part of the act. I don't take it so seriously that I would think that this woman is nuts and perceive her personal life to be a mess, etc? I just think she's just trying to make a huge splash and luckily, she's created some very catchy pop/dance songs that have had a great impact on radio these days. And if Ga Ga is gone in a year or two, another female artist will emerge and people will try to make comparisons as well. In the end, it means squat to me because I enjoy these newer artists for whom they are, not because I think they compare to any other artist I like.

yeah, and i think freddy said something like, "i'll never let her do live television again".

oh, little did they know what happened the next day. of course they found out when the song was released and went straight to number one. dont forget, the song wasnt out yet - that was the first the public had ever heard it and we had a good month more to wait for it to be released to radio and as a single. longest wait in history. :lol:

Man, that was like torture waiting for the "official" release, the term leak wasn't even around back then, not in my vocabulary! All I can remember was that I was sooo pissed I didn't have a VCR yet, they were too expensive, I do however remember you could "rent" them from video stores but I didn't have enough foresight to do that either....thank God for digital video nowadays.

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

ahahhahahahahh. It DID change the world!!! Popular artists before that just didn't have that ethos. It was totally different and she introduced a lot of new ideas to the world. The fact that everybody thought her career was over because of it says everything. She changed the opinions of not only what is acceptable, but what people want to see. It's kind of hilarious to think of her is this spoiled young artist (who just wanted her freedom and for everybody to see it) getting her own way because she suddenly has 98798738383683763008002980282098 fans in the world. I love her soooooooooo much.

That happened over time deary, not with ONE VMA performance of a woman rolling around in a dress. It was a nice moment for M and MTV, but i'm sure if you asked people outside of this place they'd simply shrug their shoulders at the performance. It didn't CHANGE THE WORLD. Get some perspective please.

The "ENTIRE WORLD" doesn't involve only Gays and their little popstar fantasy wrist flopping lives. tks.

Madonna doesn't make media stunts for attention. I really believe that. Or should I say SOLELY for attention.

Delusions.

Madonna herself has stated she's done things for her own entertainment and nothing more. People thought SEX was this huge statement about female power, but it wasn't :lmao: When Diane Sawyer asked her about the important message behind the book, she simply shrugged her shoulders and said "There wasn't one. I just wanted to push some peoples buttons" :rotfl:

Plz.

In 10 years if Gag is still doing her thing and topping the charts I will give her props, but until then I will continue to laugh at her and her "fans" for elevating her to the status of a music legend despite the fact that she only has 1 fucking album out.

:lmao:

Believe me I'm laughing right along with you.

I guess what bothers me most about Gaga and all her obsessive "ICON" fans (not singling anyone out) is that they have this snooty air of superiority because THEY GET HER and we don't. Oh I get it alright. It's like a joke that someone tells and they start laughing at their own joke. I laughed the first time. Now the joke is spent.

:rotfl:

TheYoungTurks must have been reading this thread & the Godga thread in Plop Princesses

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Guest Topaz Scorpio

Believe me I'm laughing right along with you.

I guess what bothers me most about Gaga and all her obsessive "ICON" fans (not singling anyone out) is that they have this snooty air of superiority because THEY GET HER and we don't. Oh I get it alright. It's like a joke that someone tells and they start laughing at their own joke. I laughed the first time. Now the joke is spent.

Wow. Still going on about this? Obsessed much?? :wacko:

Guest Topaz Scorpio

As a GaGa Fan, I Must say that HER VMA Performance wasn't better than M's.

I'm the same. Although honestly, I don't think either of them is perfect. M's is also contextually more significant based on when she did it. People really hadn't seen something like that before in 1984. Nowadays it's really hard to shock as we've pretty much seen it all. Gaga's performance certainly got attention, but was it shocking? A bit. But it didn't blow me away. And it most certainly got overshadowed by the Kanye mess, as did Pink's performance.

Well to be fair I guess we'd have to wait for her sophomore outing I mean usually the second album is the make or break meter for any star to gauge if they will have longevity. Madonna did it with Like a Virgin , Lets see how Gaga will do. And if she has something new to offer.

vma-madonna-1984.jpg

Guest Topaz Scorpio

Oooo, something for everyone. Chelsea Handler gives her take on the VMAs. Madonna and Gaga slams all around! :wow:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6x2hva3T6Q&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6x2hva3T6Q&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6x2hva3T6Q&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

"muppet gloryhole" :lmao:

Guest Topaz Scorpio

Seems you're still getting worked up about it. I get it, you love her, you don't like it that I find her abhorrent. If it bothers you, you can show that you think my opinion is bullshit by ignoring it. Move on.

Seeing as I was only replying to a veiled comment that was directed back to our back-and-forth in that other thread, I'd say the only one getting worked up still is you. I never argued your opinions about the quality of her work and you know that. Stop getting so pissy because I disagreed with you. Sheesh.

Topaz, I was not even thinking about you or referencing you when I made that post. I put "not singling anyone out" because I actually MEANT that. I meant in general, from waht I see on YouTube, other music forums, etc. I didn't mean you. So don't get it twisted, I was not looking for a fight with anyone.

Guest Topaz Scorpio

Topaz, I was not even thinking about you or referencing you when I made that post. I put "not singling anyone out" because I actually MEANT that. I meant in general, from waht I see on YouTube, other music forums, etc. I didn't mean you. So don't get it twisted, I was not looking for a fight with anyone.

Well good then as I wasn't looking to fight with you either. The only reason I even went on with you in that other thread is because I generally respect what you have to say. I couldn't even be bothered to waste time with some others in that thread.

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

Whether it TOPPED Madonna's or not...the plain and simple fact is that IT WOULDNT exist if it wasn't for Madonna.

Please explain this logic to me.

I wouldn't go that far but an element of it is definitely true.

Madonna brought bustiers, corsets, 'underwear as outerwear' etc. to the mainstream.

Without Madonna, GaGa wouldn't have been performing in her underwear the way she did. Whether that's good or bad is not the question, but Madonna made that possible.

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

But how did Madonna make it possible? i'm asking this as a genuine question, i'm not being a smart ass. I get that Madonna was provocative in her day, but i'm not really understanding how wearing undies on stage in the year 2009 relates to her in any way?

Bowie wore undies before M did on stage, and he was a man in make up. Leotards have been worn on stage for years. Not every female pop star turns to Madonna for sexual inspiration, there ARE other people out there who inspire artists.

This idea that Gaga's performance wouldn't exist without M is just silly. I've never seen Madonna wear a bunny mask, play a piano with her foot hiked up and then hang herself with blood down her body.

So because GaGa shows a bit of skin or has a high concept behind her performance, all of a sudden it's a "Madonna moment".

Eh?

But how did Madonna make it possible? i'm asking this as a genuine question, i'm not being a smart ass. I get that Madonna was provocative in her day, but i'm not really understanding how wearing undies on stage in the year 2009 relates to her in any way?

Because Madonna took all the flack for it back in the day when she was doing it day in and day out. Being called a slut, whore, talentless etc. while she was wearing 'outrageous' outfits. For God's sake, people used to slag off her "Lucky Star" era look and call her a "tart" because she was showing belly button! Eventually the tide turned, and the intellegentsia finally cottoned on to the fact and then started praising her past antics as brave and feminist.

Bowie wore undies before M did on stage, and he was a man in make up.

Well you said it yourself. He was a man.

Plus, no one is saying Madonna did everything first. What I'm saying is that Madonna made it OK for female performers to be sexual and in control. Before her, wearing for a woman to wear underwear on stage was merely an act to titillate or entice the male audience - nothing more. She made it OK for a female performer to own her sexuality and use it to express control and domination in addition to sexiness.

I really don't understand why we're even debating this. Even people who aren't Madonna fans easily agree with this notion.

This idea that Gaga's performance wouldn't exist without M is just silly. I've never seen Madonna wear a bunny mask, play a piano with her foot hiked up and then hang herself with blood down her body.

So because GaGa shows a bit of skin or has a high concept behind her performance, all of a sudden it's a "Madonna moment".

Eh?

Some loons take it a bit far but I definitely understand their point of view.

Look, ultimately, every female performer today is going to be compared to Madonna by the media and by the public at one stage or the other - for better or worse. There's no escaping it. Madonna's presence has just been that enormous - end of story. I realise how frustrating it might be for some up and coming female stars, but that's just the way it is.

No one is saying that Lady GaGa's performance was a Madonna rip-off, but of course there is a Madonna element in there. It's as simple as that.

And if we're discussing Lady GaGa specifically, then I do have to say that it would be very asinine to suggest that she has not been inspired by Madonna. She may not be her only inspiration, but it's all so very obvious in many aspects of her work that denying it would be just silly.

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

Because Madonna took all the flack for it back in the day when she was doing it day in and day out. Being called a slut, whore, talentless etc. while she was wearing 'outrageous' outfits. For God's sake, people used to slag off her "Lucky Star" era look and call her a "tart" because she was showing belly button! Eventually the tide turned, and the intellegentsia finally cottoned on to the fact and then started praising her past antics as brave and feminist.

Well you said it yourself. He was a man.

Plus, no one is saying Madonna did everything first. What I'm saying is that Madonna made it OK for female performers to be sexual and in control. Before her, wearing for a woman to wear underwear on stage was merely an act to titillate or entice the male audience - nothing more. She made it OK for a female performer to own her sexuality and use it to express control and domination in addition to sexiness.

I really don't understand why we're even debating this. Even people who aren't Madonna fans easily agree with this notion.

Fantastic :thumbsup:

I just wanted to see someone actually explain it properly. It's said a lot around here, i'm just curious to see if people are on defensive autopilot, or if they actually wtf they were saying.

In the bigger picture of things, yes, he is right. But really.......what a random thing to say JUST to discredit GaGa in SOME way. It just seems a bit pointless. It's like me talking about Madonna and then saying "well, everything she did wouldn't be possible without the feminist movement in the 70's". Or, "Beyonce wouldn't be allowed to sing on stage without the Civil Rights Movement". Well duh, obviously.

It's just such a broad reference to use about a VMA performance, you know?

I was just picking up on some douchery, that's all.

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

And if we're discussing Lady GaGa specifically, then I do have to say that it would be very asinine to suggest that she has not been inspired by Madonna. She may not be her only inspiration, but it's all so very obvious in many aspects of her work that denying it would be just silly.

Oh of course. She's wrote it herself in her album booklet anyway.