Many insiders say Gaga's VMA performance tops Madonna

Guest dicktracy

The buzz around GaGa is INCREDIBLE - she's the biggest female act in the universe right now - it had to happen some day - Madonna couldn't hold the crown forever.

Please have a seat :lmao: Gag still has loads to prove.

coming off a successful debut album doesnt entitle anyone to any kind of "crown"

kezywj.jpg

How many different singers have been called the new Queen of Pop in the past 20 years? Too many to mention! And usually by people who can’t comprehend that Madonna wasn’t given the title because she sold a lot of records. She could never sell another record and the title would still be hers.

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

51261274.png

I love you :inlove:

:vanitybonet:

Well you have to ask yourself; If this performance had nothing to do with Madonnas presence, why does everybody seem to bring her up whenever they discuss it? You can't even say it's just Madonna loons, because Gagas fans bring it up too.

You're going off track again. That isn't what i'm talking about. I don't care that there's comparisons, this is a Madonna forum, it's gonna happen.

As I said earlier in the thread, Madonna changed the world! :rotfl:

No. You indicated that her VMA performance changed the world, which is what we were talking about, but as usual you went off track and gave me another 25 YEAR CAREER SPANNING ANALYSIS that had nothing to do with what i was actually referring to.

Madonna popularised singing in your video without a microphone

What? :lmao:

and brought high concept performances into the mainstream.

Some may say Michael Jackson did that.

When Madonna released her first album, there was nothing high concept about it. The Thriller video was released around the same time and changed the face of mainstream music video concepts forever.

You ramble, GU.

Guest sanctuary

The buzz around GaGa is INCREDIBLE - she's the biggest female act in the universe right now - it had to happen some day - Madonna couldn't hold the crown forever.

maybe in FANTASYLAND.

GAGA has a long long way in front of her

she made only 1 album, even Britney Spears who is the best selling female artist of the decade deserves the crown more than her. Madonna will be forever the queen of pop, because today nobody can sell 200 milions albums or make a cultural impact as she did

here in Italy there's no buzz for Lady gaga, nobody has spoken about her or her performance: no newspapers, no televisions, NADA!!!!!!

Here in Italy the most important news talked about Madonna' speech, not about Gaga.....

Well people are properly FREAKING OUT about in here :horn:

Because we are all so threatened by Gaga's shining light. She's a force of nature. The loons here have heard ".....is the next Madonna" many times before. This time we all know it's real though. Gaga brings her own unique brand of star quality and musicianship/stage presence that the world has never seen before, much like Madonna did in her early years. Just Dance is a classic. The coat of many Kermits will be a fashion staple amongst the young, hip crowd that Gaga courts and The Fame has already sold a little over 4 million copies WW, completely SHATTERING the sales of Madonna's flop Hard Candy which sold around 3.5 million WW. Obviously, it's Gaga's world we just live in it.

What else is there to say? Gaga is a phenomenon. A trendsetter. A true artist and just an all around Goddess damnit. She is the real deal and that really threatens me as a Madonna fan. I know Madonna's reign is now over and yes....that's terrifying. :crazy:

Because we are all so threatened by Gaga's shining light. She's a force of nature. The loons here have heard ".....is the next Madonna" many times before. This time we all know it's real though. Gaga brings her own unique brand of star quality and musicianship/stage presence that the world has never seen before, much like Madonna did in her early years. Just Dance is a classic. The coat of many Kermits will be a fashion staple amongst the young, hip crowd that Gaga courts and The Fame has already sold a little over 4 million copies WW, completely SHATTERING the sales of Madonna's flop Hard Candy which sold around 3.5 million WW. Obviously, it's Gaga's world we just live in it.

What else is there to say? Gaga is a phenomenon. A trendsetter. A true artist and just an all around Goddess damnit. She is the real deal and that really threatens me as a Madonna fan. I know Madonna's reign is now over and yes....that's terrifying.

Kurt you're just kind of proving his point now :lol: Although I don't really think you (or anyone else here) is threatened by Gogga. Once she starts consistently outselling Madonna around the world I'm sure the chart brigade will flip out. But other than that, nah.

Personally I'm not obsessive enough about Madonna's LEGACY to feel scared when I see Gaga. To be incredibly PC for a moment - they do different things. Gaga has her thing going for her and I hope she enjoys it because it seems like she's painting herself into a corner. Marilyn Manson, who I love, did the same thing and his career eroded slowly but surely.

Guest SuperPop

What else is there to say? Gaga is a phenomenon. A trendsetter. A true artist and just an all around Goddess damnit. She is the real deal and that really threatens me as a Madonna fan. I know Madonna's reign is now over and yes....that's terrifying.

:clap::clap:

'The world has never seen before'? This is exactly the kind of blinkered hyperbole that turns people against Gaga for no good reason. Aside from Madonna, there are huge HUGE dollops of Grace Jones and David Bowie in there. Not to mention people like Roisin Murphy. I can't say it enough that anyone who thinks Gaga is a trailblazer really needs to learn more about popular music.

And 'true artist'? She is the most calculated creation in a long, long time. An extremely talented one of course, but let's not pretend that she just makes music for her own sake. She is obsessed with being...well, being the next Madonna.

I'm sorry, I like the gaga record but in no way, shape, or form is she the next madonna and who cares that the fame sold 4 million records and outsold hard candy. Madonna has sold over 200,000,000 million records in 25 years. Gaga will be around for a few years and then die out... just like many of the countless other "next madonna" that have disappeared.

I thought gaga was kind of cool and different in the beginning but it's all become so very forced, fake, and contrived in the past six months. She is a distraction to what is really important, the music. Hey trying to shock people is really just making her look like a fool.

I thought gaga was kind of cool and different in the beginning but it's all become so very forced, fake, and contrived in the past six months. She is a distraction to what is really important, the music. Hey trying to shock people is really just making her look like a fool.

same here

This is kind OT...slightly...but I just realized how the SERIOUS contenders for "next Madonna" always seem to pop up the year before the start of a new decade:

1989- PAULA ABDUL-- I know this incites major LOL'Z these days but seriously....Forever Your Girl trampled over Like A Prayer in terms of sales and chart success and Paula racked up something like 6 number ones in 2 years. The media was indeed labeling her the "next Madonna"....I think that even showed up on the cover of a People magazine back in the day. If I'm not mistaken Paula actually debuted in 1988 but EXPLODED in 1989.

1999- BRITNEY SPEARS-- Do I even need to go into this one really?? lol. And again, if I'm not mistaken, Britney actually debuted in 1998 but everything EXPLODED for her in 1999.

2009- LADY GAGA-- Like the others, she started gathering some serioius buzz in '08 and had a small following but everything has exploded for her this year.

Guest dicktracy

This is kind OT...slightly...but I just realized how the SERIOUS contenders for "next Madonna" always seem to pop up the year before the start of a new decade:

1989- PAULA ABDUL-- I know this incites major LOL'Z these days but seriously....Forever Your Girl trampled over Like A Prayer in terms of sales and chart success and Paula racked up something like 6 number ones in 2 years. The media was indeed labeling her the "next Madonna"....I think that even showed up on the cover of a People magazine back in the day. If I'm not mistaken Paula actually debuted in 1988 but EXPLODED in 1989.

1999- BRITNEY SPEARS-- Do I even need to go into this one really?? lol. And again, if I'm not mistaken, Britney actually debuted in 1998 but everything EXPLODED for her in 1999.

2009- LADY GAGA-- Like the others, she started gathering some serioius buzz in '08 and had a small following but everything has exploded for her this year.

Hmmm... very observant. Now the questions is: will Lady Gaga have another hit album, then a flop and disappear by 2015 only to come back as a judge on a reality show like Paula OR will she have two more huge albums, then a third not so big, then a meltdown, a missed comeback, and then a real comeback by 2018??

What else is there to say? Gaga is a phenomenon. A trendsetter. A true artist and just an all around Goddess damnit. She is the real deal and that really threatens me as a Madonna fan. I know Madonna's reign is now over and yes....that's terrifying. :crazy:

Oh the sarcasm is back. *hides*

But misguided attempts at humour aside, the most active thread in the Madonna forum is one about Lady GaGa. And Madonna has just released/is about to release her career retrospective. HMMMMMM.

That's because journalists/bloggers feel the need to insert Madonna's name in every other article regarding Gaga. Of course it's going to spark discussion in the Madonna forum.

That is right. But in two years time the media will be comparing some other up and comer to Madonna. Please don't confuse your personal feelings with the facts. If you like GAGA, great for you. But why try and force some idea that she is something that she isn't? She will never be able to do what Madonna does, did or will do. Them's just the breaks. Unless you can somehow Turn back time (like Cher wants to) and put GAGA into 1980 [somewhere she would fit right in] then GAGA will never have the chance to do what Madonna did. Maybe if GAGAs fans stop repeatedly coming up with this bullshit, it may give GAGA a chance to be remembered for her own work and not her comparison to someone elses.

Did you IMAGINE I said stuff again? All I said was that this thread is POPPIN. Or did you just look for an excuse to spew your verbal diarrhea rambling pointless observations ONCE MORE