Video Music Awards '09 - new thread

Apples388

Guest ursaminorjim

I actually loved seeing the audience watch Madonna during her speech. I love seeing the respect from her contemporaries.

That and the napping Pete Wentz. Being a stone-cold douche takes a lot out of a dude.

VMA are very respected here in Portugal. All TV prime time news talked a lot about VMA and was one of the main news of the days. They showed almost all Madonna speech, a few seconds of Janet Jackson dueting Scream, a bit of "This is It" teaser and talked about Beyonce winning best video of the year. This was more than 5 minute newspiece in EVERY Portuguese tv news - and on prime time!

Now tell me that VMA are not important! All Madonna, Michael, Janet and Beyonce were heavily promoted today worldwide! (and positive news which it's even more difficult to get too)

Guest Topaz Scorpio

VMA are very respected here in Portugal. All TV prime time news talked a lot about VMA and was one of the main news of the days. They showed almost all Madonna speech, a few seconds of Janet Jackson dueting Scream, a bit of "This is It" teaser and talked about Beyonce winning best video of the year. This was more than 5 minute newspiece in EVERY Portuguese tv news - and on prime time!

Now tell me that VMA are not important! All Madonna, Michael, Janet and Beyonce were heavily promoted today worldwide! (and positive news which it's even more difficult to get too)

Poor Pink is the one who really got shafted here. She put on one of her coolest performances ever and wound up getting more press for tweeting Kanye is an asshole.

Why did you think she would walk away with the show? she isn't the only capable performer there :dazed:

Not sure what stuff you guys are reading, but GaGa, Beyonce, Kanye and Madonna are all over Entertainment news today :dazed:

GaGas album and new single has been rising fast on iTunes too after yesterday. I'd say the whole show was a good impact for everyone :dazed:

I guess pretending like no impact is happening helps the delusion though. It's a bit weird.

Those smilies are annoying! :evil:

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

Those smilies are annoying! :evil:

Sorry, can't help but shrug at a lot of the weird stuff that comes out of peoples brains in here.

Like GaGa says, "Eh Eh" :dazed:.

Whatever....she didn't get lost in any shuffle. The bitch was wack. End of

Deal with it.

LOL! There isn't nothing to "deal with" dude. While Madonna may be getting some press, it's nothing to the level Kayne West, Beyonce and Taylor Swift is getting.

You tend to enjoy tossing the smart ass remarks, but if you're going to pull that shit on me, I'm done discussing this with you.

Their level? They sit and talk about people who are DOING.

Okay, I misworded. I didn't mean it in that sense. I just feel that these gals are quite outspoken. Whoopie and Madonna have had some big big moments in the 80's and 90's. I just think of these three more like friendly colleagues. I am a little annoyed Whoopie dissed her if that's what she did. I like Whoopie and she's has had a number of controversial moments in her career. I just expected a little more compassion and respect from her. She's always seem to have pretty decent common sense.

This whole MJ thing hits home for her... and I think she was trying to make a case for people being nicer to her, too. Better than acting like they were so close or sounding like a typical MJ "Artist Of All Millenium" lead-in.

I actually kinda felt the same. Not sure if she was intentionally aiming for that, but I think at least subconsciously, I can see her doing this.

The show is actually interesting and they have great/lively discussions usually.

But they usually have negative things to say about Madonna. Barbara Walters, who wasn't on today, has defended the adoption but little else concerning Madonna.

It just struck me how they completely missed the point and were so negative about her today. Then, they didn't even rip Kanye a new one at all. Whoopie kind of even excused it a bit. I mean, if ANYONE deserved to be ripped it was Kanye. Yet Madonna was the one they really ripped on. LOL. She just can't do anything right I guess.

They seem to be really unfair to Madonna though and it boils down to that stupid cliche of bitter bitties. If there's something that really makes me shake my head it's jealous women. I know it sounds kind of loony of me to say that since one big reason The View annoys me is because they give it to Madonna, but let's not forget that Madonna showed up there in 2005 and those women practically pissed their pants talking to her. Forgive me for my GetUnconscious moment but it's so obvious that they're intimidated by her. There they sit on their wide butts discussing hot flashes, housewife cooking and celebrity gossip, and there's Madonna with her concerts, iron thighs, and 22 year old sex slave. They probably feel so horribly unsexy in comparison. Can't blame them really.

Well, when Madonna is so constantly (and often accurately) portrayed as being this strategic genius w/r/t her career, it's easy to see why people would suggest that. I mean, after all, her talking about how we should appreciate our heroes while we can - after drawing several parallels between her and Michael Jackson - could've just as easily led into a shill for her new 2-disc, career spanning retrospective, on shelves this month, pre-orders available through Amazon now. :lol:

And yet it didn't segue into a convenient plug for her forthcoming projects at all. Which is why I agree with you (and I think most of the rest of us here) who feel the speech was heart-felt and struck just the right balance. Seriously, though, they didn't play any Madonna track to introduce her -- heck, she didn't even NEED any introduction! She just walked out cold and started talking about MJ. And there was no hint of trying to plug her GH or anything, so I think that really speaks to the level of class and the genuinely unselfish motivation she had for being there and speaking well of the human being she knew (if only as a friend for a brief time) and of the superstar she understood so well from her experience.

Ugh. Whatever. I should just ignore the hateration but it gets so irritating sometimes. (Not talking about you, ursa, just the View hosts!) And yeah, I was thinking the same thing 12:51 -- what the heck?! I mean, when she was there PROMOTING A CHILDREN'S BOOK they were so polite and all. If they truly felt that way about her all the time, they ought to have the courage to treat her that way on the show -- and see how long that lasts. M will NOT be amused. (And she'll save her few promotional appearances for Kelly Ripa and Reg! Haha!)

Guest jamesshot

They seem to be really unfair to Madonna though and it boils down to that stupid cliche of bitter bitties. If there's something that really makes me shake my head it's jealous women. I know it sounds kind of loony of me to say that since one big reason The View annoys me is because they give it to Madonna, but let's not forget that Madonna showed up there in 2005 and those women practically pissed their pants talking to her. Forgive me for my GetUnconscious moment but it's so obvious that they're intimidated by her. There they sit on their wide butts discussing hot flashes, housewife cooking and celebrity gossip, and there's Madonna with her concerts, iron thighs, and 22 year old sex slave. They probably feel so horribly unsexy in comparison. Can't blame them really.

Whoopie wasn't on then so I guess it comes down to Whoopie just not liking her. As someone pointed out ( neutrocks?) that of all people, you would think Whoopie would respect her. They seem like they would hit it off. Both are unapologetically themselves- controversial, outspoken and so on.

Joy is Joy and she is bitchy about everyone.

Do you really think they are jealous? I dunno. I guess if I thought that, their reaction to Madonna would make sense to me and it wouldn't bother me so much. I can't figure out why they are always so cynical and willing to think the worst of Madonna. Today the criticism just really seemed harsh to me.

Not like I am going to lose any sleep over it but I was just like "COME ON ladies. Really?"

Whoopie wasn't on then so I guess it comes down to Whoopie just not liking her. As someone pointed out ( neutrocks?) that of all people, you would think Whoopie would respect her. They seem like they would hit it off. Both are unapologetically themselves- controversial, outspoken and so on.

Joy is Joy and she is bitchy about everyone.

Do you really think they are jealous? I dunno. I guess if I thought that, their reaction to Madonna would make sense to me and it wouldn't bother me so much. I can't figure out why they are always so cynical and willing to think the worst of Madonna. Today the criticism just really seemed harsh to me.

Not like I am going to lose any sleep over it but I was just like "COME ON ladies. Really?"

Oh they are jealous. Whoop aside, look at how Joy and Elizabeth handled Madonna in '05 and look at what they say about her now. That kind of two-facedness implies one thing really. Barbara Walters probably would have said something stupid too, I can just hear it. I guess she's excused though for being a zillion years old now though.

And can I just say how ridiculous the entire premise of THe View is? 4-5 women (3 of them middle aged) sitting and .... talking? About... things? Sometimes inviting a celebrity? Look, there's Oprah, there's Ellen, there's Larry King, Diane Sawyer, Matt Lauer... do the opinions of 5 c-listers really matter? Whoop's not really c-list, but there's a reason she's on The View. Let's not lie to ourselves.

I actually was waiting to hear what Whoopie would say In the past when they mention Madonna she never spoke of her in a nice way. I remember it was during the divorce. Whoopie was praising Guy Ritchie, I remember she called him a gentleman for not wanting anything from Madonna. The next day or so the word was out that he was trying to get millions and she never commented on that. Usually she is good about retracting something, if she say something and something proves her wrong she would take a stand but with the Guy thing she never bothered to correct herself.

I don't really watch the view but I tivoed it today just to hear what they would say about Madonna. I really thought they would be nice but this proves me right that Whoopie doesn't like Madonna.

Guest jamesshot

I do like Joy. She is pretty much the same with everyone.

Sherri is just.....stupid.

Barbara doesn't like Madonna because Madonna has never given her a one on one. The only thing she got was the 5 of them interviewing her. Maybe it has something to do with her being Rosie's good friend????

Still, for Whoopie to say Madonna sounded silly when 99% of people praised her speech shows something is up with Whoops opinion of Madonna. Yet she casually defended Kanye!

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

Sherri is just.....stupid.

She IS fucking stupid. She's annoying.

Joy is awesome, the whole show should just be her talking her crazy middle aged Italian ass off. Love her big hair.

Still, for Whoopie to say Madonna sounded silly when 99% of people praised her speech shows something is up with Whoops opinion of Madonna. Yet she casually defended Kanye!

Yeah, you know, it will be interesting to hear how Whoopi handles talking about her former costar (and, I presume, friend), the late Patrick Swayze.

She better not talk about how she feels about it and about how her life and his life touched, because -- ya know -- that would be self-centered. If she so much as says, "When we were in 'Ghost' together,..." I don't think I'll be able to take the hypocrisy. And if she repeats that he was the first person she thanked when she won her Oscar because she wouldn't have won it without him, I would then like to say, "Whoopi, isn't that a little silly? Does that Oscar mean that much in comparison to Patrick's battle with pancreatic cancer?"