Mariah vs. Madonna

Guest dicktracy

Guest jamesshot

If Madonna and WBR do some bad ass promo, really whip up the nostalgia factor, Madonna would easily be #1. No doubt. Since that is unlikely to happen................

Guest hot revolver

I'm sure she'll do fine. Immaculate Collection did not reach #1, but I'm sure it outsold whomever album that went to #1 at the time. It has sold nearly 30 million copies currently. Madonna is a world-wide seller as Mariah is mostly a U.S. artist. Whether Madonna reaches #1 (which I doubt being it's a collection), she will most likely outsell whomever is at #1 again in the long run. I'd rather have a lower charting album, selling a shit load throughout time than a high charter that outsells the current albums of the week only to tank in sales in the long run. We've seen that with albums from Madonna (American Life and Hard Candy) which reached #1 when it was first released, but never reached selling a million copies in the U.S.

Why cant she have both a huge opening week and steady sales??

Can Barbra Streisand compete with Whitney, Mariah and Madonna?

There is a fourth name to add to the diva competition this fall: Barbra Streisand. She is scheduled to release s new studio album titled Love Is the Answer a month after Whitney releases her new disc. It's also the same day Madonna releases her greatest hits set and Mariah releases her "delayed" Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel.

Let's face the truth: Barbra Streisand has more vocal talent than Madonna, Mariah and Whitney rolled up in a ball and multiplied by ten. But will people download and buy a Barbra Streisand album in multiple numbers?

It remains to be seen whether or not Streisand's new venture is a success, but the fact remains that she is the biggest selling female artist ever (at least in America) and Madonna is an extremely close second. Mariah Carey claims to be the biggest female artist ever, but that's just record company hype.

It should be an interesting autumn with all these new diva releases. Having all these releases around the same time can only help, not hurt, the already ailing record industry.

http://www.examiner.com/x-15033-Memphis-Celebrity-Examiner~y2009m8d14-Can-Barbra-Streisand-compete-with-Whitney-Mariah-and-Madonna

Can Barbra Streisand compete with Whitney, Mariah and Madonna?

There is a fourth name to add to the diva competition this fall: Barbra Streisand. She is scheduled to release s new studio album titled Love Is the Answer a month after Whitney releases her new disc. It's also the same day Madonna releases her greatest hits set and Mariah releases her "delayed" Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel.

Let's face the truth: Barbra Streisand has more vocal talent than Madonna, Mariah and Whitney rolled up in a ball and multiplied by ten. But will people download and buy a Barbra Streisand album in multiple numbers?

It remains to be seen whether or not Streisand's new venture is a success, but the fact remains that she is the biggest selling female artist ever (at least in America) and Madonna is an extremely close second. Mariah Carey claims to be the biggest female artist ever, but that's just record company hype.

It should be an interesting autumn with all these new diva releases. Having all these releases around the same time can only help, not hurt, the already ailing record industry.

http://www.examiner....iah-and-Madonna

Babs may have better vocals than all of them, but I would say she's the most boring to me. Her new album sounds like a lounge album full of standards. You can preview 30 seconds of all her new songs at her official site. I'd buy a Mariah and/or Whitney new album before a Streisand one. I also think Streisand has a totally different fan base than the others. I highly doubt that there is a large enough group of people who will be choosing between Babs and/or the other three. Each artist has a strong following.

What is interesting is... I don't see any talk of a lead single from Streisand. And I can't imagine any of the current top 40 stations playing her stuff with the exception of maybe the Adult Contemporary stations. So if she can pull off a top ten album and/or higher, I'd say she really has the advantage since all the other women are banking on their singles to sell the album.

Guest ursaminorjim

Given that the last decade-or-so has seen a lot of improbable smash-hit albums of covers (Rod Stewart and Barry Manilow spring to mind), I'd say Babs should be raking it in pretty good her first week out.

I think Madonna has nothing to lose even if Pariah steals the #1 'cos it's a GH VS studio album, moreover, double CD GH, more expensive than Pariah studio album.

If I'm not mistaken, GH hardly goes #1 in US. When was the last time a GH tops the US album chart?

2007 - The Notorious B.I.G. GH

2005 - Destiny's Child "#1s"; Eminem "Curtain Call: The Hits"

The only person who needs to worry is Pariah. If a GH tops her studio album, she's in deep trouble.

Meh, Mariah's album is going to sell 1 million worldwide (or probably less) anyway. Something tells me it might be delayed yet again if her second single flops.

Babs may have better vocals than all of them, but I would say she's the most boring to me. Her new album sounds like a lounge album full of standards. You can preview 30 seconds of all her new songs at her official site. I'd buy a Mariah and/or Whitney new album before a Streisand one. I also think Streisand has a totally different fan base than the others. I highly doubt that there is a large enough group of people who will be choosing between Babs and/or the other three. Each artist has a strong following.

What is interesting is... I don't see any talk of a lead single from Streisand. And I can't imagine any of the current top 40 stations playing her stuff with the exception of maybe the Adult Contemporary stations. So if she can pull off a top ten album and/or higher, I'd say she really has the advantage since all the other women are banking on their singles to sell the album.

I know what you mean. Barbara's music is in a different music genre than the other three. Totally different fanbase and age group for the most part too. Anything could happen. No doubt all four strong Divas in their own right.

Guest jamesshot

If Madonna really wants the #1 she can get it. Easily. She will have to do some serious promo and WBR will have to do their part. Whip up that nostalgia. Like I have said, I know MANY casual/non fans who want this GH. One of my friends, who isn't a huge M fan at all, said "I have to get it. It's all her hits. It's Madonna. It's kinda epic".

With the holiday season coming up, a GH from Madonna should be a very good seller through January 1st.

Guest nothingfails0603

With the whole explosion of downloading, I'm interested to see how this does. Celine and Christina's GH albums were major underperformers

Guest jamesshot

With the whole explosion of downloading, I'm interested to see how this does. Celine and Christina's GH albums were major underperformers

But they are not Madonna. They don't have the back catalogue of smash/culturally relevant hits that Madonna has.

WE CAN'T COMPARE MARIAH VS MADONNA CD... ALL WE KNOW THAT MARIAH HAD ALWAYS OPENING NUMBERS THAN MADONNA!!!! AND MARIAH CD HAVE NEW MATERIAL AND OBSESSED IS ON #11 IN bb WHILE MADONNA IS A COMPILATION AND CELEBRATION SINGLE IS 100000 ON BB ???? IHIHIH

Madonna is #71 on HOT 100... but her song was released 2 weeks later to radio, the song was just released earlier 'cause it leaked. Video is only out in 2 weeks time... give it time...

On dance charts Madonna is #16... and Mariah is #30 with 2 weeks advanced release...

Regarding GH debuts... well I do think that pos-Michael dead will be diferent...

Guest nothingfails0603

But they are not Madonna. They don't have the back catalogue of smash/culturally relevant hits that Madonna has.

well, you're right about Christina. But Celine's certainly one of the only female artists who truly rivals Madonna in sales.

Well, all it takes is one great appearance on Oprah, and Babs would hit #1. Since Madonna and Mariah's singles appear to be underperforming (to varying degrees) I think it will be all about who does the best/most effective promotion. By default, I think Mariah could win based on that factor since she pimps herself to every media outlet the week of her albums' release.

dont forget that in addition to the 2 disc set, Madonna is also releasing a single disc of Celebration. if hardcore fans buy 100k of the 2 disc and casual fans buy 100k of the single disc that adds up to 300k in sales.of course we won't know until all 1st week sales are tallied but 300k doesn't sound out of the question.

ill probably ending up buying all of Madge's release and Babs. Definitely not Mi moo's with the shit that she had been releasing its not worth it.Madge because i love the bitch , Babs because i do respect her talent and im sure its gonna be a good one

MrPeter2.jpg

well, you're right about Christina. But Celine's certainly one of the only female artists who truly rivals Madonna in sales.

I have to agree. Celine has been making records longer than Madonna. Though, she was mostly popular in her home country up until the late 80's and then she exploded in the late 80's and early 90's. She's been doing quite nice for herself especially with the gig she had in Las Vegas. But I still think Madonna has had more of a cultural impact than Celine.

Given that the last decade-or-so has seen a lot of improbable smash-hit albums of covers (Rod Stewart and Barry Manilow spring to mind), I'd say Babs should be raking it in pretty good her first week out.

My sentiments EXACTLY.

Listening to the clips of her new material, she's def. returned to that slinky jazz nightclub sound of the 60s that the most faithful sector of her fanbase still clamors for. This will do MUCH better than "Guilty Pleasures," which has the unfortunate distinction of always being in the shadow of "Guilty" despite being a solid pop album in its own right.

My prediction:

1) Barbra

2) Mariah

3) Madonna

Madonna will probably have the legs for the holiday season, though. And if the album scans more than a million, I am totally fine with her losing #1 for that.

Guest jamesshot

I have to agree. Celine has been making records longer than Madonna. Though, she was mostly popular in her home country up until the late 80's and then she exploded in the late 80's and early 90's. She's been doing quite nice for herself especially with the gig she had in Las Vegas. But I still think Madonna has had more of a cultural impact than Celine.

But Celine doesn't have nearly the level of smashes Madonna. Let's not even talk about cultural relevance since Celine isn't anywhere near Madonna's league. When you compare Madonna and Celine's catalogue Madonna blows her out of the water. It ain't even close.

...if hardcore fans buy 100k of the 2 disc...

Is there ANY left? I foresee some fans will give the following excuses for not buying the GH...

- Too expensive

- I'd already had all the song, I can get the new song from MNation for free

- All edit version, what's the point?

- Some of my fav songs were not included, I'm boycotting this GH

- The cover sucks therefore I'm not buying

- I'm sure WB will release a 100 disc boxset which includes all her songs, concerts, B-sides, unreleased songs, advertisements, documentaries, remixes in next year according to some fansite, therefore I'll skip this.

- I dislike shit song Celebrate and/or Revolver, the demo sucks, therefore I'm boycotting this GH.

The list goes on and on and on and on...

dont forget that in addition to the 2 disc set, Madonna is also releasing a single disc of Celebration. if hardcore fans buy 100k of the 2 disc and casual fans buy 100k of the single disc that adds up to 300k in sales.of course we won't know until all 1st week sales are tallied but 300k doesn't sound out of the question.

It doesn't quite work like that. That would add up to 200k in sales. If Warner ships 250k of the double disc to stores (as long as the album is long enough to count as a proper double disc), then it would count as 500k shipments and it would be certified Gold. If 250k copies are sold, then they'll be reported as 250k.

wow, im surprised so many of you are underestimating 50 cent here lol - he clearly has a major shot at #1 and beating all of them,.

It'll be hard for a GH to compete with a studio album in these days... especially since Mariah has radio and others on her side while Madonna basically has got nothing.. in the US that is

in the rest of the world no one cares of Mariah... so Celebration will probably peak higher in most other markets

Is there ANY left? I foresee some fans will give the following excuses for not buying the GH...

- Too expensive

- I'd already had all the song, I can get the new song from MNation for free

- All edit version, what's the point?

- Some of my fav songs were not included, I'm boycotting this GH

- The cover sucks therefore I'm not buying

- I'm sure WB will release a 100 disc boxset which includes all her songs, concerts, B-sides, unreleased songs, advertisements, documentaries, remixes in next year according to some fansite, therefore I'll skip this.

- I dislike shit song Celebrate and/or Revolver, the demo sucks, therefore I'm boycotting this GH.

The list goes on and on and on and on...

Well, it's true, why buy something you already own? I bought "Celebration" and I'll buy "Revolver". That's it. As for her DVDs of her tour and GH, of course I'll snap those up.

Guest Danny86

^While I do think there will be enough hardcore fans who buy this release (collection purposes, preferring a physical product), I don't see the issue with any of those "excuses" either, when it's clear the GH is not aimed the hardcore fans (even though a certain someone who's supposedly considered reliable kept saying that) and I think most of the people here don't even play CDs anymore.

^While I do think there will be enough hardcore fans who buy this release (collection purposes, preferring a physical product), I don't see the issue with any of those "excuses" either, when it's clear the GH is not aimed the hardcore fans (even though a certain someone who's supposedly considered reliable kept saying that) and I think most of the people here don't even play CDs anymore.

And yet there's so many threads about what should be included and what should not. :confused: