MJ: Airplay, Sales Aftermath

hesser

"Man in the Mirror" is a good song, and one with a positive message. I love how toward the end there's that pause after "take a look at yourself and then make that..." and then the key changes when the choir crashes back in with "change!" Such a perfect moment -- singing the word "change" and changing the key. A little stroke of genius.

Let us remember that songs like Billie Jean are on multiple collections and Thriller re-releases, so this explains why it's not #1 at itunes. But that aside, next week we'll see how his singles sold when all 'versions' are counted together. Right now 3 Billie Jean's are charting and 2 Man in the Mirror's. lol

I can only imagine the revenue his estate will collect for the month of June alone because of all these album & single sales + the airplay. I believe he owns te publishing to his songs and many of the Jacksons songs too.

choir arranged by the same person on Man In The Mirror & Like A Prayer - Andrae Crouch

you´ve said everything with that.The funny thing is that I think Siedah garreth wrote the song, not him.Siedah is the woman that sang I just can´t stop loving you

Stores have completely run out of MJ albums and DVDs in Australia. According to staff at the main store in Melbourne, people were lined up when the store opened at 9am (after the heart attack news had been announced but before he was pronounced dead) and made a beeline for the MJ section and started grabbing product. They were telling people by Friday afternoon that it would be at least Tuesday before they would have new stock. Ironically, most of his DVDs and many of his CDs had been on sale for $10 for the best part of a year - no doubt they'll be selling at full price next week when new stock enters the stores, which is pathetic.

MITM is the most popular MJ track on iTunes Australia, too, which is odd.

Guest bluejean
you´ve said everything with that.The funny thing is that I think Siedah garreth wrote the song, not him.Siedah is the woman that sang I just can´t stop loving you

Yes, you are right. And she was also backing vocals on Reinvention.

Anyway, MJ didn't write all his biggest hits. Even though he was a great songwriter, he would always include other songs simply because he wanted the best collection of songs possible.

Guest bluejean
Stores have completely run out of MJ albums and DVDs in Australia. According to staff at the main store in Melbourne, people were lined up when the store opened at 9am (after the heart attack news had been announced but before he was pronounced dead) and made a beeline for the MJ section and started grabbing product. They were telling people by Friday afternoon that it would be at least Tuesday before they would have new stock. Ironically, most of his DVDs and many of his CDs had been on sale for $10 for the best part of a year - no doubt they'll be selling at full price next week when new stock enters the stores, which is pathetic.

MITM is the most popular MJ track on iTunes Australia, too, which is odd.

Yes, I actually went in to get 'Thriller 25' because I only have it from itunes and also the Dangerous tour because my DVD is scratched and I knew it was only $10 or so. I thought "I better buy them before they bump up the prices."

But by the afternoon when I got there all the MJ CD's and DVD's were completely sold out. All of them.

Michael Jackson Poised To Make Billboard Chart History, Again

Next week, Michael Jackson will once again make music history as many of his albums are poised to shake up the Billboard charts with incredible sales increases.

The impact of Jackson's passing was felt immediately in the marketplace. Industry sources report that the demand for Jackson's albums were so high, many brick and mortar retailers simply ran out of whatever Jackson stock they had on hand on Thursday (25) night.

The albums with the greatest sales increases -- at least on the physical side of things -- look to be his greatest hits packages "Number Ones" and "The Essential Michael Jackson" along with the expanded reissue of "Thriller." The sets, released between 2003 and 2008, were the three Jackson albums that perhaps had the most stock available in stores.

In the digital realm, where the supply problem doesn't exist, Jackson's songs and albums swarmed the top of the constantly-updating best sellers lists in both the iTunes' and Amazon's online music stores. At one point on Friday in the iTunes Store, nine out of the top 10-selling albums and 40 of the top 100-selling songs were by Jackson.

The three aforementioned albums, along with Jackson's classic studio sets "Off the Wall," "Bad" and "Dangerous" all will likely zoom into the upper region of Billboard's Top Pop Catalog Albums chart next week. Initial reports of Jackson's album sales from Thursday alone indicate that one of his albums -- possibly "Number Ones" -- will easily fly to No. 1 on the chart next week. Last week, the set -- which also was his top-selling album of the week -- was at No. 20 on the Catalog chart with 4,000 sold.

To compare, last week's No. 1 on the Catalog chart was TobyMac's "Portable Sounds" with 9,000 copies sold. Sources say that at least one of Jackson's albums sold more than double that amount just on Thursday.

Nielsen SoundScan's tracking week ends at the close of business on Sunday (28). Billboard and SoundScan's new weekly charts will be released on Wednesday, July 1.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/michae...003988531.story

Guest nothingfails0603

To be honest, I'm surprised so many people waited until this to buy his stuff. I haven't made a rush to buy anything of his since he died because I had everything of his I wanted before it happened. Although I would be very interested if they release some of his stuff from the vaults as he had such a small amount of output for a man of his stature and a career as long as his. I hope they open the vaults now much like they did after John Lennon died.

Guest FrozenLight

My god these sales are truly mind blowing!! It seemslike in every major country his sales are dominating most of the top 40. Someone said in the ukmix forum that according to his estimates MJ had possibly sold 6 million singles in a single day!! (worldwide) I know those are just predictions but his analysis seemed relatively well researched. Apparently ovr the past 2 days 60 percent of all music sales have ben MJ sales! I that is the case then sales will be truly surreal by th time they get published.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if he sales over one million albums in the US alone on the first week

To be honest, I'm surprised so many people waited until this to buy his stuff. I haven't made a rush to buy anything of his since he died because I had everything of his I wanted before it happened. Although I would be very interested if they release some of his stuff from the vaults as he had such a small amount of output for a man of his stature and a career as long as his. I hope they open the vaults now much like they did after John Lennon died.

Isn't there somehting like 100 songs in the vaults according to some reports? Wouldn't surprise me if we get a major retrospective in the next couple of years.

I already owned all of his stuff, save the compilations which I didn't see as necessities (other than "The Ultimate Collection" because of the unreleased tracks).

since man in the mirror (his best song IMHO) is the song getting the most play, I wonder what Madonna's will be (MORBID I KNOW) Live To Tell?

since man in the mirror (his best song IMHO) is the song getting the most play, I wonder what Madonna's will be (MORBID I KNOW) Live To Tell?

it'll be the biggest, most popular hit of her career.....like a prayer. and very fitting. ach, i dont wanna think about that. please die at age 100 in peace!

Not only does Jackson have many old songs fully mastered that were never released but he has current songs that are halfway finished. Hell, I remember back in '94 Janet said to Ebony or Essence that MJ even composes classical music that he doesn't release. I'm sure there are fans willing to check it out if it ever made it to iTunes.

What I don't get are who are these nuts overpaying for new MJ CDs over at ebay? Can't they wait for Target or Walmart to get stock in next week?

Guest nothingfails0603
What I don't get are who are these nuts overpaying for new MJ CDs over at ebay? Can't they wait for Target or Walmart to get stock in next week?

The night he died, I checked ebay for the hell of it... and people were bidding $300 for used vinyl copies of Thriller!!! I couldn't believe how ridiculous it got. If something was autographed, I can understand, but these are just typical copies that up until 2-3 days ago were available in all used bins.

For the state of music sales, it's really sad that it has to take a tragedy to draw people back into record stores.

Die Another Day?

til death do us part?

The night he died, I checked ebay for the hell of it... and people were bidding $300 for used vinyl copies of Thriller!!! I couldn't believe how ridiculous it got. If something was autographed, I can understand, but these are just typical copies that up until 2-3 days ago were available in all used bins.

For the state of music sales, it's really sad that it has to take a tragedy to draw people back into record stores.

I was discussing this with a good friend of mine when he upted and told me he actually went and bought HIStory & Off The Wall on Friday morning because he realized he never got around to buying them. Strange because I know he never bought HIStory because he didn't really like it and he could always borrow mine. But now he's wants his own copy and actually listened to Childhood. LOL

Interesting that so many people want a physical CD to remember someone in passing. Guess holding those mp3's just aren't the same.

That Billboard catalog chart rule always annoyed me. That and the UK compilation chart rule make a mockery out of the charts.

I see that Invincible is low down the sales ranking. People aren't digging deep enough though beyond the usual stuff, as well as the multiple versions of Thriller and all the Greatest Hits there's also Destiny and Triumph.

The only person I know who said he was gonna go get some MJ CDs is usually over dramatic.

I worked in a record store years ago and a woman came in and bought 2 copies of Whitney's greatest hits and said Whitney was dead... we were getting calls about it too- turned out to be an internet rumour and the woman returned both copies the next day... I felt like saying, she will die one day should we put them on hold for you?

dO YOU EVER THINK mADGE WILL HAVE THE SAME EFFECT ON THE CHARTS WHEN SHE FINALLY GO TO HEAVEN..? GOD FORBID..i MEAN, JUST A HYPOTHETICAL..WHAT IF?

^ maybe , maybe not. theyll DEF be a major sales surge ESP in Europe etc for M..,but dunno if it will be as big a MJ in the U.S and overall.Anyways, people are so whacked. really, 'why' most so many people be cliches and HAVE to have something --only when someone dies -- RIGHT away , even its not remotely rare and something that most people probably already own in some way lol? Once this all settles down, youll easily be able to spend a respectable amount of money on one of his CDs. Then, easily in less than a year, his albums will probably even be back to getting discounted lol!

Guest nothingfails0603
^ maybe , maybe not. theyll DEF be a major sales surge ESP in Europe etc for M..,but dunno if it will be as big a MJ in the U.S and overall.Anyways, people are so whacked. really, 'why' most so many people be cliches and HAVE to have something --only when someone dies -- RIGHT away , even its not remotely rare and something that most people probably already own in some way lol? Once this all settles down, youll easily be able to spend a respectable amount of money on one of his CDs. Then, easily in less than a year, his albums will probably even be back to getting discounted lol!

look at this or this

Seriously. A used copy of Dangerous on CD and Thriller on vinyl should cost you about $10-12 max for both.

WTH. LOL I'm about to consider selling my copy of HIStory. It has a limited edition SECOND color booklet that has extra photos plus lyrics to the new songs.

Guest nothingfails0603

I do have a t-shirt from the Bad tour somewhere that is in fantastic shape, plus the Bad tourbook, and a copy of HIStory on vinyl which has a giant book with it. These all could get some good $$$$ right now but to be honest, I'd rather hold onto them, I've had the shirt and tourbook since March 1988 and it's nice to hold on to.

live to tell, Like a prayer, or...Promise to try!!!!! if people knew, general people i mean, that this song exist, this will be the one.Anyway, I will never know becaue she will that after me, when shé´s 139!