Is Lady Gaga The New Madonna?

TOUR2008

Ugh. You just DONT GET IT. Again. Comparing Madonna to a start-up just lowers her status. Britney Christina and GaGa are all in the same league. I am actually being complimentary to Madonna here. Surely it cant be THAT difficult to understand. And please try to use your own words next time, surely it cant be THAT hard either.

9b4ef7c9.jpg

There is no NEW Madonna. There never will be. Madonna changed the world with her music, sexual politics, fashion, views and BALLS to say FUCK YOU to anyone who told her what a "woman" was supposed to be. The most Britney, Pink, Lady GaGa blah blah blah can do is carry the torch Madonna earned. Madonna already changed the world. I don't see Lady GaGa ever coming close to what Madonna has done.

Guest HydroTrippin
There is no NEW Madonna. There never will be. Madonna changed the world with her music, sexual politics, fashion, views and BALLS to say FUCK YOU to anyone who told her what a "woman" was supposed to be. The most Britney, Pink, Lady GaGa blah blah blah can do is carry the torch Madonna earned. Madonna already changed the world. I don't see Lady GaGa ever coming close to what Madonna has done.

Exactly. :thumbsup:

There can be other iconic female popstars.

There is only one Madonna.

I Wonder, was Madonna the "NEXT SOMEONE" in the 80's?

No there was nobody ever like Madonna and I don't remember her being labeled as the "next someone" she was truely unique.

Lady Gaga to me is the new Dale Bozzio-- Dale was big in the 80s but never in league with Madonna, same with Gaga

dale1.jpg

September has just SLAMMED her so yes, Lady Ga Ga MUST BE the new Madonna.

September: 'Lady GaGa stole my look'

Friday, June 19 2009, 11:34 BST

By Mayer Nissim, Entertainment Reporter

Eurodance artist September has accused Lady GaGa of stealing her look.

The 'Can't Get Over' singer told The Sun that she is upset by people comparing her to her fellow artist.

She said: "I've been wearing similar outfits to Lady GaGa for years across Europe while I've been promoting my records.

"Now when I wear outrageous costumes people say I'm copying her. It really annoys me. She stole my look and I want it back."

Guest Drowned Bedtime

My dad (who is a Madonna fan, and whose Cd's got me into her) said that he saw Holiday on TV when it first came out in the UK, and dismissed it as another pop tart. And tbf, I've never got the love for the song. It's pretty bad. Anyway.

However, as she got bigger and bigger, he said he realised she was brilliant. So I assume at the start, she was sort of just..dismissed as another (insert pop singer here0"

Guest nothingfails0603

I wish people would judge Gaga on her own merits and not compare her with Madonna. If you don't like any female artist because they can't compare to Madonna as an icon or superstar, then can you really rave about any female artist to come since? I think Gaga is kind of overrated and people seem to be overcrediting her so soon in her career, but would you rather someone like The Jonas Brothers or Brooke Hogan doing well? Gays were bitching for years when dance music was AWOL on US radio and then their wish comes true with Gaga, Rihanna and a few others and people still aren't satisfied.

It's fine to enjoy her music and be amused by her outlandish looks. I will even say that the supersized video of "Paparazzi" was interesting and so grand in scope -- like a short film with an overwhelming soundtrack or something. I like music videos like that, actually.

HOWEVER, it is ridiculously premature to be crowing her the Queen of Pop. I don't mean to insult anyone who's calling her that -- but seriously. Just because she's racked up some hits quickly and has a successful album -- that does not pop royalty make. The reason people called Madonna and Michael Jackson the Queen and King of Pop, respectively, was because of their considerable talent -- AND 'longevity.' Longevity in the pop realms is extremely relative -- and Madonna has proven to be possess more staying power than most of her contemporaries. If Lady Gaga is on top of her game twenty -- even ten -- years from now, then people can start thinking about labels. Heck, Kylie's been around a lot longer and she's still referred to as a Pop Princess. (Same with Britney and Christina -- who haven't been around as long as Kylie. And Gaga's not been around as long as Britney and Christina. Though I understand she's been songwriting for some time now -- but still, just because Paul Anka's written a lot of music, no one calls him the King of Pop.)

Guest nothingfails0603
It's fine to enjoy her music and be amused by her outlandish looks. I will even say that the supersized video of "Paparazzi" was interesting and so grand in scope -- like a short film with an overwhelming soundtrack or something. I like music videos like that, actually.

HOWEVER, it is ridiculously premature to be crowing her the Queen of Pop. I don't mean to insult anyone who's calling her that -- but seriously. Just because she's racked up some hits quickly and has a successful album -- that does not pop royalty make. The reason people called Madonna and Michael Jackson the Queen and King of Pop, respectively, was because of their considerable talent -- AND 'longevity.' Longevity in the pop realms is extremely relative -- and Madonna has proven to be possess more staying power than most of her contemporaries. If Lady Gaga is on top of her game twenty -- even ten -- years from now, then people can start thinking about labels. Heck, Kylie's been around a lot longer and she's still referred to as a Pop Princess. (Same with Britney and Christina -- who haven't been around as long as Kylie. And Gaga's not been around as long as Britney and Christina. Though I understand she's been songwriting for some time now -- but still, just because Paul Anka's written a lot of music, no one calls him the King of Pop.)

That's good and all. I'm talking about people who literally hate her and refuse to give her a chance because of the whole "she absolutely cannot compare to Madonna, so I'm not going to even give her a chance". It's like this one guy I was friends with but had a major falling out with. He loves dance music and divas and still loves him some SAW, Bananarama, Expose, Jody Watley, Stacey Q and all the other dance music from 20 years ago, but he HATES Gaga, Rihanna, Beyonce, Mariah, Mary J (and these last two have been around nearly two decades themselves) and 90% of the other r&b and pop princesses out there. He might think he looks "cool" for disliking all of the female stars of the past few years, but if anything, still loving Stacey Q and Expose but refusing to listen to Beyonce or Lady Gaga makes him look more like a faggot version of one of those old hippies who absolutely hates all music made after Woodstock or the breakup of The Beatles. Too many people are afraid to like something that's currently popular even if it's the genre they love, and it's sad people limit themselves.

^ ^

You both make valid points. Sorry, nothingfails, I wasn't actually aiming any comment at you, actually. (I think you're right -- people who refuse to embrace anything new musically are closing themselves off from the opportunity to enjoy anything else. On the other hand, someone like Madonna tends to introduce new sounds throughout her career, so I think one could be happy be a Madonna fan to exclusion of many others. But Madonna's also always appreciated other artists' work and shared her opinions... Goldfrapp, Bjork, William Orbit, Massive Attack, Beth Orton, etc.) It's just that, in the other Lady Gaga thread in the Pop Princesses section (well, and probably pages back in this thread), there are some who are deeming Joanne "The Queen of Pop." I don't want to insult them and ask if they're kidding -- but seriously? That's extremely premature. If she's your thing, go for it! Enjoy it! But don't hand over the keys of the pop kingdom just yet. The crown can't be handed over that easily. (And especially not to someone who's already wielding her own scepter... that looks like a toilet-cleaning brush. :demonic::blink::nocomment: Sorry! That's just the way that appears to me. Is that the "disco stick" of which she is fond of singing?!)

I can enjoy some of it in the way that I enjoyed Ricky Martin in the summer of 1999. But I rarely spin his album today (though I do still like Be Careful / Cuidado). Frothy pop fun, but it's too early to tell if it will have any staying power.

And so clueless. She serious reminds me of Mirandasings08 from YouTube (and no, this girl isn't for real btw :lol: ). A person who is so blinded and convinced that they're the baddest thing ever that they don't know how fucking retarded they really look (go to 2:45... or watch the whole thing if you want to be truly confused :lol:)

Miranda sings Imogen Heap!

Guest Sephyr

I'm sorry but she and her songs do NOTHING for me!! She tries so hard to me and it's not a natural evolution for her because she's forcing all these images. I don't know who she is or have any connection or tie to her. She's not accessible IMO! Madonna came out with some songs that had a human quality to them while still being larger than life. And Gaga doesn't...

I'm actually pleased with Gaga, not because she's pleasing or awesome, but because she's proving (along with Britney, Christina, Pink, etc.) the predominance of the MADONNA WAY. She and the rest of them are playing by the Madonna playbook, so it's cool. I agree though, that she forces her imagery and the strains are showing, and her insistence to be taken as an avant-garde artiste is hilarious. But she's fun!.. I wonder if she'd sooner or later present herselt as an astronaut with aliens clinging on her back, or have her own geisha version complete with lighted lanterns hanging from her head :lol:

She's not THE new Madonna; she's A new "the new Madonna", among the many before her that has come and gone since even the 80s.

Guest Pud Whacker
I'm actually pleased with Gaga, not because she's pleasing or awesome, but because she's proving (along with Britney, Christina, Pink, etc.) the predominance of the MADONNA WAY. She and the rest of them are playing by the Madonna playbook, so it's cool. I agree though, that she forces her imagery and the strains are showing, and her insistence to be taken as an avant-garde artiste is hilarious. But she's fun!.. I wonder if she'd sooner or later present herselt as an astronaut with aliens clinging on her back, or have her own geisha version complete with lighted lanterns hanging from her head :lol:

She's not THE new Madonna; she's A new "the new Madonna", among the many before her that has come and gone since even the 80s.

perfection.