Madonna was the bottom selling People cover of '08...

Guest dicktracy

People Magazine Still Has a Bikini Body

by MICHAEL WINERIP

Published: May 22, 2009

The difference between the top-selling People cover of 2008 (Angelina, Brad and their twins) and a bottom seller of 2008 (Madonna divorcing another husband) was 1.5 million newsstand copies and $6 million in revenue.

You may wonder which one was more profitable in the end, considering that People had to pay a few million dollars for the baby pictures. And how stupid to compare those issues. C´mon the baby one was an exclusive and the divorce one was the cover story on all gossip publications that week.

Guest harbors
its not had to figure that out. its the "angel" vs "devil" here; the angel being angelina. fuck, even her name says it. i wish she and brad would just go away for a few years. i cant stand all the positivity, gushing, cant do no wrong attitude towards them. its pure discrimination to madonna; heck, they even call their adopted kids by their last name and theyre not even married. they still call david "david banda" its all in the details.. and it seems that this is an image the press wants to create of her, the image we now see of people walking down the street, or queuing in a line to buy a magazine... they got exactly what they want, another american sweetheart and the american devil.

I agreed with you, Nikki. :thumbsup:

I think the Madonna cover didn't sell was not because people don't care about her but because there was nothing new in the article. It was just rehashed gossip. Their best selling covers are usually when they actually interview the person that's on the cover or have some exclusive information from them.

I'm a Madonna fan and I didn't buy the magazine with her on the cover. Obviously, I care about Madonna, but I'm not going to waste my money on boring gossip with no new information or a new interview.

I think the Madonna cover didn't sell was not because people don't care about her but because there was nothing new in the article. It was just rehashed gossip. Their best selling covers are usually when they actually interview the person that's on the cover or have some exclusive information from them.

I'm a Madonna fan and I didn't buy the magazine with her on the cover. Obviously, I care about Madonna, but I'm not going to waste my money on boring gossip with no new information or a new interview.

So true :thumbsup:

its not had to figure that out. its the "angel" vs "devil" here; the angel being angelina. fuck, even her name says it. i wish she and brad would just go away for a few years. i cant stand all the positivity, gushing, cant do no wrong attitude towards them. its pure discrimination to madonna; heck, they even call their adopted kids by their last name and theyre not even married. they still call david "david banda" its all in the details.. and it seems that this is an image the press wants to create of her, the image we now see of people walking down the street, or queuing in a line to buy a magazine... they got exactly what they want, another american sweetheart and the american devil.

Why are you so fixated on this Angelina VS. Madonna thing? Madonna will never be america's sweetheart. She has no chance in hell given the way her career has panned out and the way she has manipulated the media for so long. I don't even want her to be america's sweetheart, fuck that. That's not who she is.

And the only people who gush about Angelina & Brad are entertainment reporters. B+A are in the tabloids on a weekly basis with negative stories continuously written in hopes that the two will split up. Not only that, their children are written about as well, always with a negative headline following them. Trust me, I have to look at these magazines DAILY. And most people I talk to hate Angelina. Granted, its never for valid reasons, but so many women hate her. Usually its because "OH SHES A HOMEWRECKER!" or "OMG SHE'S SKINNY" or "OMG I CANT STAND HER CHARITABLE FAKENESS" And guess what that sounds like? The same criticisms people have been saying about Madonna for years. Most gossip blogs are fully ready to give Angelina a reaming as well. So I think you're overexaggerating. Angelina is overexposed in the way that we're always seeing her on some red carpet at some event, but people do give her hell. There is no such thing as america's sweetheart these days in hollywood. If you want one, look to American Idol or Michelle Obama.

As for why Madonna was the lowest seller, I think its because of what Glinda said and because Guy Ritchie is way less famous than Midge. All the other rags having the same cover wouldn't affect it at all, if anything it would help it :lol: People magazine tends to always share a similar cover with the trashier mags like Us and Star when a big story breaks. So that's a wimpy excuse. I think its primarily because of Guy's lack of established fame here in the USA.

Was Madonna on the cover of People when the A-Rod scandal broke? If so, I bet that sold way more. No one cares about Madonna's english divorce. Madonna + a baseball player is way more juicy.

Guest harbors
Was Madonna on the cover of People when the A-Rod scandal broke? If so, I bet that sold way more. No one cares about Madonna's english divorce. Madonna + a baseball player is way more juicy.

:dramatic:

People always hate her because she is a smart, strong, talented, beautiful and successful woman who refuses to become victim of ageism and public's criticism.

I must say- being a pretty big Madge fan, I didn't care too much about the divorce. I blogged about it, but Ididn't buy any of the magazines (when I used to try to get almost all magazines with her on the cover).

Guest dicktracy

People will buy something that they do not expect. Madonna getting divorced after years of the press claiming that it would happen is almost a non-story. Now, if that was Tom Hanks.... that would be unexpected. However, Madonna adopting a child was something unexpected at the time and it created major interest. I think it has more to do with what is really 'news' instead of what has been predicted over and over.

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

:lol: @ you guys pulling such bullshit out of your asses. It's tabloid trash, if people didn't buy it, it's because *SHOCK* they didn't CARE ABOUT WHAT WAS HAPPENING WITH HER. I know it's hard for some of you to comprehend that Madonna CAN actually be the lowest seller when it comes to some things, just get the fuck over it :rolleyes:

All you people ever do is cry and point fingers when the world doesn't put her on a pedestal. I'm surprised some of you are taking this TABLOID sales thing so bloody seriously, God get a grip you dumb poofs.

Why are you so fixated on this Angelina VS. Madonna thing? Madonna will never be america's sweetheart. She has no chance in hell given the way her career has panned out and the way she has manipulated the media for so long. I don't even want her to be america's sweetheart, fuck that. That's not who she is.

And the only people who gush about Angelina & Brad are entertainment reporters. B+A are in the tabloids on a weekly basis with negative stories continuously written in hopes that the two will split up. Not only that, their children are written about as well, always with a negative headline following them. Trust me, I have to look at these magazines DAILY. And most people I talk to hate Angelina. Granted, its never for valid reasons, but so many women hate her. Usually its because "OH SHES A HOMEWRECKER!" or "OMG SHE'S SKINNY" or "OMG I CANT STAND HER CHARITABLE FAKENESS" And guess what that sounds like? The same criticisms people have been saying about Madonna for years. Most gossip blogs are fully ready to give Angelina a reaming as well. So I think you're overexaggerating. Angelina is overexposed in the way that we're always seeing her on some red carpet at some event, but people do give her hell. There is no such thing as america's sweetheart these days in hollywood. If you want one, look to American Idol or Michelle Obama.

As for why Madonna was the lowest seller, I think its because of what Glinda said and because Guy Ritchie is way less famous than Midge. All the other rags having the same cover wouldn't affect it at all, if anything it would help it :lol: People magazine tends to always share a similar cover with the trashier mags like Us and Star when a big story breaks. So that's a wimpy excuse. I think its primarily because of Guy's lack of established fame here in the USA.

i know and you're totally right. i have noticed those negative comments about brangelina aswell. i was really cranky when i wrote that post. i still dont take back what i said though. (especially about the last name issue of the adopted children. i stand by that. its discriminating).

:lol: @ you guys pulling such bullshit out of your asses. It's tabloid trash, if people didn't buy it, it's because *SHOCK* they didn't CARE ABOUT WHAT WAS HAPPENING WITH HER. I know it's hard for some of you to comprehend that Madonna CAN actually be the lowest seller when it comes to some things, just get the fuck over it :rolleyes:

All you people ever do is cry and point fingers when the world doesn't put her on a pedestal. I'm surprised some of you are taking this TABLOID sales thing so bloody seriously, God get a grip you dumb poofs.

^ + it featured the new face. :fag:

Guest Johnkm

I, personally wouldnt buy a magazine just because shes on the cover, especially not for something that, as others have said, was almost non-news it had been so long coming.

You may wonder which one was more profitable in the end, considering that People had to pay a few million dollars for the baby pictures. And how stupid to compare those issues. C´mon the baby one was an exclusive and the divorce one was the cover story on all gossip publications that week.

I CAN'T AGREE MORE..OF COURSE, EVERY MAGAZINE AND NEWSPAPER ON THAT WHOLE MONTH COVERED THE DIVORCE..

The People cover story was just a rehash of everything else on the newstands that same week.

EXACTLY THE WHOLE POINT..MAYBE THE EDITOR OF PEOPLE MAGAZINE FORGOT TO CONSIDER THAT BEFORE MENTIONING MADONNA AS THE BOTTOM SELLER..I MEAN, COMPARING THE EXCLUSIVE COVER OF BRANGELINA'S TWIN TO MADONNA'S DIVORCE COVERED BY EVERY OTHER MAJOR MAGAZINE IS NOT FAIR..IS IT?

Guest nothingfails0603

I don't understand this "Saint Angelina" thing. Bitch was a homewrecker yet the media loved her so much they painted Jennifer Aniston as the villain. She adopts kids from the left and right and she's painted as this Mother Theresa type while Madonna does the same thing and people call her a baby-snatcher, it's disgusting

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

Yeah, it's a real issue of the world isn't it. How dare Angelina live her life when Madonna isn't getting any coverage over hers. It really is DISTURBING and APPALLING that such an awful thing has happened, i can't believe it.

AMERICA HATES MADONNA BECAUSE SHE IS A GODDESS AND AMERICANS ARE CHRISTIANS AND CANT ACCEPT HER.

I mean HONESTLY.

:lmao:

Guest nothingfails0603
Yeah, it's a real issue of the world isn't it. How dare Angelina live her life when Madonna isn't getting any coverage over hers. It really is DISTURBING and APPALLING that such an awful thing has happened, i can't believe it.

I know you're a Jolie fan but you don't get what I was driving at. Angelina breaks up a marriage and people love her and actually give Brad the thumbs up for "trading up" (and most of these people are happy because they hate "Friends" so they're happy to see Aniston be a victim), Madonna was only rumored to be the catalyst of A-Rod's breakup and she's seen as a homewrecking whore. Angelina adopts kids from the other side of the world and the media treats her as this amazing philanthropist who is out to make the world a better place, Madonna does the same thing and she's seen as a babysnatcher.

Seriously you don't see this double standard people have when it comes to Madonna? I think Madonna should actually hire Angelina's PR person, Angelina could pull an OJ Simpson and still come out looking like a strong brave amazing woman.

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

The media has always hated Madonna. Why complain about it now after 25 years? build a bridge.

Guest nothingfails0603
The media has always hated Madonna. Why complain about it now after 25 years? build a bridge.

well, I would love to hear these people explain why they think Angelina is such a great human being for adopting kids from third world countries yet Madonna's a horrible baby-snatcher. It's a double standard and I don't think Madonna's done anything better or worse than Angelina has, yet it's "Saint Angelina" and "Witch Madonna"