Hard Candy - 1 year on...

Guest gloriesbarcelona

I dont think COADF is samey - its all dance music of a similar BPM but most of the songs sound different.

Push is excellent - I love it - it has never grown old on me. It pisses all over anything on HC in my opinion.

Really? i think ROL songs hold up very well outside of the context of the album.

I can see what you mean about Confessions, personally i love it all the way through [yes, even 'Push' you fuckers], but i know a lot of people who find after song 4 it all just gets samey and boring.

Guest Pud Whacker

i get that people dont dig it and i totally respect that but any fan that loves madonna and like a virgin must love this album. its just so in there, throw in a little funk. its not one of her introspective ones (prayer, american life), its not all arty ala music or hip and somber like ray of light. but it is whats been promised for so long - just a beat driven, fun, sexy, feel good dance album. i love all the incarnations of madonna but the latter will always be my favorite. :inlove:

Guest BytheBay
of course there is a consensus. HC is mediocre and forgettable.

I personally only listen to the Miles Away remixes at this point.

you may want to look up the definition of consensus and personal opinion

It's definitely her worst 00's album, and in total, only Bedtime Stories is worse. I haven't listened to the album for months and don't have any desire to do so.

I have to say that I really lost interest in her during the HC era. I enjoyed S&S but it just couldn't hold a canlde to CT ... but tastes are different

thats pretty much how it goes. If u hate BS u probably will not be too fond of HC.

i get that people dont dig it and i totally respect that but any fan that loves madonna and like a virgin must love this album. its just so in there, throw in a little funk. its not one of her introspective ones (prayer, american life), its not all arty ala music or hip and somber like ray of light. but it is whats been promised for so long - just a beat driven, fun, sexy, feel good dance album. i love all the incarnations of madonna but the latter will always be my favorite. :inlove:

100% AGREED!!!

This is One of her more fun "FUN" Albums. It isnt overly Serious.

Even the Beats are Good, and the songs are CATCHY! :thumbsup:

COADF was great, but it was too serious.

Americal Life was...... American Life.

Music had a few catchy songs too.

Hard Candy is a like....eh... Candy.

IT MAY NOT Be a Gourmet Meal (ala "Like A Prayer")

but it is refreshing, current, & sweet. SO Suck on it, Swallow, and just enjoy it. :vanitybonet:

100% AGREED!!!

This is One of her more fun "FUN" Albums. It isnt overly Serious.

Even the Beats are Good, and the songs are CATCHY! :thumbsup:

COADF was great, but it was too serious.

Americal Life was...... American Life.

Music had a few catchy songs too.

Hard Candy is a like....eh... Candy.

IT MAY NOT Be a Gourmet Meal (ala "Like A Prayer")

but it is refreshing, current, & sweet. SO Suck on it, Swallow, and just enjoy it. :vanitybonet:

:thumbsup:

Hard Candy is fun, but REFRESHING? it's about as fresh as 5 years ago.

It's not refreshing in that way really. But aside Madonna's more serious, introspective albums of the past 10 years (and COADF isn't as carefree as it pretended to be at first! That album has always had a dark undertone to it to me) it was refreshing to hear the return of fun, sassy Madonna for an album. It's totally got the spirit of her 80's work in lyrics (GI2M, Heartbeat, D2N, BGO). She's playful on CS and blatantly sleazy on the cover....it's great. Probably her most eye catching in a WTF :confused: kind of way since LAV.

I think it’s one of her best. If it wasn’t for Spanish Lesson and a few of the tracks being too long it would be perfection. But you can’t have everything…

Edited by Enigma

Guest Drowned Bedtime

I have every Madonna album except the first 2. I'm not interested in that, I like her more mature accomplished work. So this album is awful to me.

There's no point in it existing. She made no interesting artistic choices with this, and understandably, it meant she stumbled with this album. It's a mess of production we're sick of (timberlake/land) with mediocre songs that can only be appreciated relative to the rest of the carp like Spanish Lesson.

I'm more forgiving of it a year on, but it's indulgent, vaccuous medocrity compressed and put on a CD.

The tour was killer though. That makes up for it. I thankfully forget this CD came out, and always think of the tour for this era. :)

Guest Pud Whacker
I have every Madonna album except the first 2. I'm not interested in that

its all right there. :thumbsup:

but one question - how is it indulgent?

Guest Drowned Bedtime
its all right there. :thumbsup:

but one question - how is it indulgent?

Oh I know how this one is kind a back to basics thing, but I've listened to the first two and am not a fan. :) (the singles are fun blah blah)

Indulgent's probably the wrong word...the way tracks were 6mins+ just because they had no ending, and so just devolved into nothing. Admittedly the break downs were the best beats of the album (SNM) but songs like Incredible just annoy me so much. There's no end.

Tied into "indulgence" or whatever the right word should be is the fact she's not innovating. Everyone else is pushing electro-pop atm (Thanks Confessions for making that the norm!), but she's just stepped back here.

Guest Pud Whacker
Oh I know how this one is kind a back to basics thing, but I've listened to the first two and am not a fan. :) (the singles are fun blah blah)

Indulgent's probably the wrong word...the way tracks were 6mins+ just because they had no ending, and so just devolved into nothing. Admittedly the break downs were the best beats of the album (SNM) but songs like Incredible just annoy me so much. There's no end.

Tied into "indulgence" or whatever the right word should be is the fact she's not innovating. Everyone else is pushing electro-pop atm (Thanks Confessions for making that the norm!), but she's just stepped back here.

i see. thanks for answering. :thumbsup:

I still think it's a more interesting album that COADF, it's better produced than American Life, it doesn't just descend into sameyness like ROL, it's more fun than Music.

Thinking about it though, I could quite easily remove Candy Story, Incredible, Spanish Lesson and the original mix of 4M. I just happen to love Dance 2night, Beat Goes On, Give It 2 Me and Miles Away. Voices and DWRY are ok too. Repackaged without the ropey boxing theme, this could be a much bigger hit.

I'm thinking of creating Confessions of a Candy Store and combining the songs I like from the two to make one killer album to listen to.

Guest Danny86

:lmao: COADF made no "norms", as I said in this thread already, the all the elecro-pop lately comes from "SexyBack" and guess what, Madonna worked with the people who produced that, except that she had so many electro-pop songs this decade that she was trying something new FOR HER this time around.

Your favourite M track is "Bedtime Story", right? So you think it was an artistic decision to imitate Björk with a song Madonna didn't even write, because you like that, but you personally don't like when she does an urban influenced pop album. That's your prerogative, but I'm shocked at comments like "there's no point in it existing" which assumes it's you who knows how Madonna is supposed to sound like, instead of you following her wherever she takes you sonically...

It isn't a favourite of mine by a long shot. But I listened to it recently for the firsts time in about 6 months and it sounds better than 1 year ago (absence makes the heart grow fonder?).

The thing I like best is that it seems 'crisp' in sound. There's quite a lot of treble on the album. Some of the songs sound quite skeletal - a bit like the Mirwais stuff.

I don't like the Timbaland produced tracks. Dance 2nite possibly the best. Hate 4 Minutes. Really like Miles Away but hate the fucked stereo on it. Voices - WTF?

I far prefer Pharell. Love GI2M. I do wish Incredible didn't wig out so much though.

I love how Pud adores the album. His comments do make me appreciate the album's best bits. He is right when he say it resembles her first two albums. She didn't have to sound anything but competent and easy/fun back then, and I guess that's HC for you. Nothing proud or accomplished. Just an album of something for everyone - if you give it a chance.

Guest Pud Whacker
It isn't a favourite of mine by a long shot. But I listened to it recently for the firsts time in about 6 months and it sounds better than 1 year ago (absence makes the heart grow fonder?).

The thing I like best is that it seems 'crisp' in sound. There's quite a lot of treble on the album. Some of the songs sound quite skeletal - a bit like the Mirwais stuff.

I don't like the Timbaland produced tracks. Dance 2nite possibly the best. Hate 4 Minutes. Really like Miles Away but hate the fucked stereo on it. Voices - WTF?

I far prefer Pharell. Love GI2M. I do wish Incredible didn't wig out so much though.

I love how Pud adores the album. His comments do make me appreciate the album's best bits. He is right when he say it resembles her first two albums. She didn't have to sound anything but competent and easy/fun back then, and I guess that's HC for you. Nothing proud or accomplished. Just an album of something for everyone - if you give it a chance.

nightshade posted a piano version of miles away in the miles away thread - check it out (usually i hate those things). anyway, i started playing hard candy from miles away, and its just flooding all those memories of first hearing it as it was leaking and then going to new york and seeing her at roseland and its just such a good album. it really is.

but then again, i was playing intervention a few days ago and thinking how great american life is so i guess im the wrong person to look to. i pretty much adore all of madonnas catalog. LOON! :rotfl:

It's definitely her worst 00's album, and in total, only Bedtime Stories is worse. I haven't listened to the album for months and don't have any desire to do so.

I have to say that I really lost interest in her during the HC era. I enjoyed S&S but it just couldn't hold a canlde to CT ... but tastes are different

Bedtime Stories and Hard Candy are two of Madonna's <BEST> albums!

:lmao: COADF made no "norms", as I said in this thread already, the all the elecro-pop lately comes from "SexyBack" and guess what, Madonna worked with the people who produced that, except that she had so many electro-pop songs this decade that she was trying something new FOR HER this time around.

Your favourite M track is "Bedtime Story", right? So you think it was an artistic decision to imitate Björk with a song Madonna didn't even write, because you like that, but you personally don't like when she does an urban influenced pop album. That's your prerogative, but I'm shocked at comments like "there's no point in it existing" which assumes it's you who knows how Madonna is supposed to sound like, instead of you following her wherever she takes you sonically...

I do find it funny that some Madonna fans try to site COADF as being responsible for bringing dance music "back." LOL

If that was the case, all (or at least more than 1) of the singles from the album would have been better received at radio than what they were at the time. I think even HU was met with airplay resistance & did what it did based mostly on initial sales. Dance music didn't begin to creep back up until about 2 years after the albums release so how it can be credited as helping to bring dance music back IDK.

Edited by hesser

Bedtime Stories and Hard Candy are two of Madonna's <BEST> albums!

BS and HC are not bad albums, i like them especially HC, but as I already said, madonna´s personality is alittle bit in the shadows in these two albums.In the shadows for a madonna labum, of course, because you can feel her in nearly all the songs

BS and HC are not bad albums, i like them especially HC, but as I already said, madonna´s personality is alittle bit in the shadows in these two albums.In the shadows for a madonna labum, of course, because you can feel her in nearly all the songs

But honestly couldn't we say the same thing about ROL and MUSIC? Orbit and Mirwais musical personalities steer those albums. Same could be said about Pettibone and EROTICA / Price and CONFESSIONS. Just about every album she does is more obviously aimed in the musical personality of the producer she works with. I don't think HC and BS are really any different really. I think when some people just don't like THE personality, it becomes a problem.

Edited by hesser

But honestly couldn't we say the same thing about ROL and MUSIC? Orbit and Mirwais musical personalities steer those albums. Same could be said about Pettibone and EROTICA / Price and CONFESSIONS. Just about every album she does is more obviously aimed in the musical personality of the producer she works with. I think when some people just don't like THE personality, it becomes a problem.

yes, and no...there´s something in the songs, something in the melody and the structure of the songs, that is very madonna-esque...For example, the break down in the middle of Hung Up and she´s not me is not madonnaesque,Miles away´s melody is...I don´t know, I can´t tell you what´s exactly madonnaesque, but i can point it when I hear it (Jump is very madonna too, Hollywood...and yes, ROL has a lot from orbit, but still, more from madonna, listen to Blur´s album, i don´t remember the name, the one with Orbit)