The Official UK Charts Thread

Guest Hafo

Leona perhaps has flopped but she has sold more this week than many previous number ones this year. She will also get a major boost from next weeks X Factor.

Britney is doing great. Promotion is only just starting and she has sold 45k downloads in week 1. That is very impressive.

why do you thinking leona flopped? i mean, isn´t this the third single for her album?

oh, so Britney goes against Take That and Katy. How good is Take Thats new song, the hype etc...,and how likely is it that they be will be #1??

one year ago everybody was saying she was a talent, and in november 2008 she´s one the best selling singers

Her album had one a hit single, Bleeding Love. The average person couldnt name a second song... Most of her sales are thanks to that first single and the Xfactor fever, as I imagined, it is already losing strength in the charts...

She is one of the best selling singers because of what she sold last Xmas specially, i the rest of Europe her success is far from being great...

For example, Amy MacDonald is selling much more in the rest of Europe, and still going strong, with much less media buzz and promotion but far more quality. A real artist/composer and not a manufactured product. She is what a call a real talent.

Leona perhaps has flopped but she has sold more this week than many previous number ones this year. She will also get a major boost from next weeks X Factor.

Britney is doing great. Promotion is only just starting and she has sold 45k downloads in week 1. That is very impressive.

You cant possibly compare a single released in July with one released in November. Of course it is going to sell much more in November, but the truth is that 3 more singles sold more than her. 45k is not bad but I was expecting more.

Her album had one a hit single, Bleeding Love. The average person couldnt name a second song... Most of her sales are thanks to that first single and the Xfactor fever, as I imagined, it is already losing strength in the charts...

She is one of the best selling singers because of what she sold last Xmas specially, i the rest of Europe her success is far from being great...

For example, Amy MacDonald is selling much more in the rest of Europe, and still going strong, with much less media buzz and promotion but far more quality. A real artist/composer and not a manufactured product. She is what a call a real talent.

Ok let's not go into who's "talented" or not...

but Leona will end up being one of the best selling artists of this year whether you like or not..

Her album has sold almost 5 million which is pretty good nowdays...

and actually the second single was way bigger than you make it look like...

whether you like her or not you can't deny that she's having a massive commercial success with her debut album worldwide..

As for Amy McDonald... she's good too but they are totally different kind of artists... I wouldn't be so sure that Amy is selling better than Leona though... maybe at the moment but when year-end numbers will come in I bet Leona is gonna be the winner out of those two...

But Leona is successful in the US too, and I think not only with Bleeding love...

http://www.theofficialcharts.com/

Airplay Chart

41 Madonna Miles Away

And I said that I was going to laugh if this happened, so: HA HA HA HA :D

Album Chart

1. (NEW) OUT OF CONTROL (Girls Aloud) 1 wk

2. (1) FUNHOUSE (Pink) 2 wks

3. (NEW) GREATEST HITS (Enrique Iglesias) 1 wk :D

4. (NEW) SLIPWAY FIRES (Razorlight) 1 wk :flop:

5. (2) A HUNDRED MILLION SUNS (Snow Patrol) 2 wks :flop:

I hope Leona fades away - I cant wait for the day X-Factor and these reality TV progs lose their hype. They have hijacked what was a fun Xmas chart - although its always been obvious since the mid 90's who would be no1 but there has always been some surprises - with X Factor you dont get that. They use unfair means and I wonder when the stupid members of the British public will finally have enough of them. Shane Ward, leon Jakcon, are almost dead. Leona has been the only one with some mega success but that too after one album. Her 2nd album will be a shadow of what the 1st did in the USA. i do appreciate they are as manufactured as the rest of them out there but they are so bland as entertainers.

Leona has to constantly appear on X-Factor and has just ripped 2 million people off by re-issuing her album. To guarantee mega sales she did it at Xmas too. Hope the project backfires. Who would be crazy enough to buy another album just because it has 3 extra songs on it? That should be outlawed.

Take that are on a high - their new song is described as their best ever. They will promote it and I think judging how they are doing they have created a very broad base of fans - Their current song sounds very coldplay-ish not very teeny bop. They will get a lot of airplay, coverage and be out their promoting. Katy has no chance. She is just going to be top 5 and thats it. Britney - will she be no1? I doubt it - but stranger things have happened.

oh, so Britney goes against Take That and Katy. How good is Take Thats new song, the hype etc...,and how likely is it that they be will be #1??

I hope Leona fades away - I cant wait for the day X-Factor and these reality TV progs lose their hype. They have hijacked what was a fun Xmas chart - although its always been obvious since the mid 90's who would be no1 but there has always been some surprises - with X Factor you dont get that. They use unfair means and I wonder when the stupid members of the British public will finally have enough of them. Shane Ward, leon Jakcon, are almost dead. Leona has been the only one with some mega success but that too after one album. Her 2nd album will be a shadow of what the 1st did in the USA. i do appreciate they are as manufactured as the rest of them out there but they are so bland as entertainers.

Leona has to constantly appear on X-Factor and has just ripped 2 million people off by re-issuing her album. To guarantee mega sales she did it at Xmas too. Hope the project backfires. Who would be crazy enough to buy another album just because it has 3 extra songs on it? That should be outlawed.

Haha - agree with many of your thoughts but with regards to reissues being outlawed it is not as though people are forced at gunpoint to buy the new version. Of course it is just to get even more album sales by the quickest and easiest means - i.e. produce a couple more songs and tack them on with a new cover.

You cant possibly compare a single released in July with one released in November. Of course it is going to sell much more in November, but the truth is that 3 more singles sold more than her. 45k is not bad but I was expecting more.

Actually singles are not and have never been affected by seasons, except perhaps Christmas week. November is not a month that the public think - "I must buy a single". In the UK the album market alone is affected by certain buying patterns - e.g. Xmas sales, Brits week, Mothers Day.

The reason why sales for singles are high at the moment are due to very strong new releases and the Tesco and Sainsburys offers that I posted about previously. It has nothing to do with it being November.

Last November Gimme More sold 17k first week (download only) and entered at 3. Womanizer sells 45k.

45k is huge for a download only week. Hope much more were you expecting?

^ Downloads are increasing year after year too. itunes have increased like 10-20% at least

Yes I said 45k is very good, but Beyonce has sold much more, and GA in her 3rd or 4th week. I didnt say it was bad, I said I was expecting more. If Beyonce can sell that much, why cant one expect Britney to sell similar numbers?

Haha - agree with many of your thoughts but with regards to reissues being outlawed it is not as though people are forced at gunpoint to buy the new version. Of course it is just to get even more album sales by the quickest and easiest means - i.e. produce a couple more songs and tack them on with a new cover.

The sad thing with Leaonas album is that Spirit is reissued after only 2 singles of her standard album (which shows the poor quality of it). I understand if a record company wants to reissue a very successful album once several singles have been released like in Tihanna's or Winehouse's case. but only after 2 singles....thats desperate

^ Downloads are increasing year after year too. itunes have increased like 10-20% at least

Yes I said 45k is very good, but Beyonce has sold much more, and GA in her 3rd or 4th week. I didnt say it was bad, I said I was expecting more. If Beyonce can sell that much, why cant one expect Britney to sell similar numbers?

The reason I posted was to counter your earlier post that songs sell more in November.

If you expect more than 45k/ number 4 - then absolutely fine.

The sad thing with Leaonas album is that Spirit is reissued after only 2 singles of her standard album (which shows the poor quality of it). I understand if a record company wants to reissue a very successful album once several singles have been released like in Tihanna's or Winehouse's case. but only after 2 singles....thats desperate

Yes very sad as her team took a lot of time before the album was initially released. To only have two (well three if you count Footprints in the Sand) releases before they tack on new tracks implies the initial album has loads of fillers. I haven't listened to it so can't comment on its quality.

Your right - people are not forced, theyare stupid enough to buy them in the first place. I think reissues with new tracks should not be counted towards the original releases sales.

Your right - people are not forced, theyare stupid enough to buy them in the first place. I think reissues with new tracks should not be counted towards the original releases sales.

Well, unless they reissue an album after a few years in a special edition like they did with some of U2 catalog recently.... but a reissue after just 1 year is pathetic

whyare there 2 Back to Blacks backon the UK chart again? Whats the diff between the deluxe version and the original version?

The updated edition has too many new tracks so can only be counted on its own for chart purposes. Still sold shit loads though.

Funkydita is kind enough to provide HC/4M/GI2M positions once midweeks are available. We have no easy access to the Top 200 for the time being.

Some YTD estimates - Katy Perry will jump over 4M next week

1 1 Duffy Mercy 511000

2 12 X Factor Finalists Hero 502844

3 2 Nickelback Rockstar 456000

4 3 Estelle feat Kanye West American boy 444700

5 4 Basshunter feat DJ Mental Now you're gone 434000

6 5 Madonna 4 minutes 422950

7 6 Katy Perry I kissed a girl 422115

8 7 Sam Sparro Black and gold 412800

9 8 Flo Rida feat T Pain Low 380750

10 9 Dizzee Rascal Dance wiv me 363750

And talking about midweeks ... Nov 11 here they are!

Singles

01 X Factor Finalists 37.598

02 T.I. feat. Rihanna 23.682 :dead: Who's buying this crap.

03 Beyonce

04 Killers

05 Girls Aloud

Top 10

Katy Perry

Top 15

Kanye West

Lemar

Top 30

The Script

Kings Of Leon (US)

Bellamy Bros

Top 40

Duffy

Albums

01 Il Divo 19.5K :dead: Who's buying this crap.

02 Stereophonics 15.5k

03 Girls Aloud

04 Pink

05 Kings Of Leon

Top 10

08 Mariah Carey

Enya

Top 15

Christina Aguilera

Top 20

Seal

Smiths

Top 30

Fron Male Choir

Katy Perry

Jonathan Ansell

Top 40

Jason Donovan

Amy Winehouse BTB

---

Astonished about how "bad" Razorlight/Keane/Snow Patrol are doing in albums!

whyare there 2 Back to Blacks backon the UK chart again? Whats the diff between the deluxe version and the original version?

The deluxe edition of the album was released on 5 November 2007 and has a bonus disc of B-sides, covers, and live songs. Due to the difference with the original release, it has charted separately.