The Official UK Charts Thread

Guest Hafo

UK radio has dropped GI2M like a bad habit. I'm forgetting- did it reach top 10 aiprlay (like No. 8)? Not a bad run on the main singles chart, though.

Yeah, peaked at #8 on UK radio, one of its TWO whopping weeks in the Top 10 airplay. I hope "Miles Away" does better.

Guest Danny86
^ Simply because it isnt a great song

Because everything Kylie puts out and goes Top 3 Airplay is so "great" right? :rolleyes:

UK radio is being unfair with Madonna in this era. "Give It 2 Me" did like "Get Together" while "4 Minutes" peaked at #3. In comparison, "Hung Up" spent 7 weeks at #1. Yet, their sales will be nearly identical at the end of the day...

Because everything Kylie puts out and goes Top 3 Airplay is so "great" right? :rolleyes:

UK radio is being unfair with Madonna in this era. "Give It 2 Me" did like "Get Together" while "4 Minutes" peaked at #3. In comparison, "Hung Up" spent 7 weeks at #1. Yet, their sales will be nearly identical at the end of the day...

Lol You are right in a way. But the question will be: Why radios play kylie songs? not, Why radios dont play GI2M?

Again, we cant compare sales of singles from 2005 and 2008. Sales in 2008 are much higher in singles. HOW MANY TIMES THIS HAS TO BE SAID?

it is funny how people blame the market to justify low sales of HC, but dont realise that the singles market has increased.

Hung up would have sold more than double of 4 minutes if it were released in 2008

Tina Turner could easily do it

Madonna was the first female act to play/sell out Wembley in the 80s and 90s - Tina Turner was the only other solo female and the Spice Girls did it at the height of Spice Mania.

Tina Turner is playing the 02 on her current tour.

I'm pleased Madonna has played the new Wembley but after this tour, I'd be happy if she stuck to the 02.

Guest Danny86
Lol You are right in a way. But the question will be: Why radios play kylie songs? not, Why radios dont play GI2M?

Again, we cant compare sales of singles from 2005 and 2008. Sales in 2008 are much higher in singles. HOW MANY TIMES THIS HAS TO BE SAID?

it is funny how people blame the market to justify low sales of HC, but dont realise that the singles market has increased.

Hung up would have sold more than double of 4 minutes if it were released in 2008

You forgot to take it into account that "Hung Up" sold most of its sales in a holiday season, so your argument about selling double if it was released in 2008 does not stand. Especially because in 2005 physical sales still mattered, today the digital sales make up for the missing sales of physical. No matter what, "4 Minutes" was meant to sell the same as "Hung Up".

And funny that you say you can't compare the sales, yet you're the first who point out how low the sales of HC are, without remembering that it's not the holiday season, sales are much lower for albums and Madonna usually does not have a clear blockbluster with a spring release with the exception of Ray Of Light.

How much extra does an album sell in the holiday season? Hard Candy will also be around druing November and December so it can also benfit from Xmas sales.

In reality HC is under-performing in the UK on the backof COADF and a 4 week mega no1 hit - whether its holiday season or not - a Madonna album should have gone way past platinum by now in the UK. It looks like it could take 20 weeks for HC to sell what COADF sold in 2 weeks - yes the market has changed yet Duffy and Coldplay can still sell and Amy Winehouse is stilll in the top 20 with over 18months of being released and its been 12 months since the last single was released from it. There ARE albums selling good numbers still and Madonna should be part of that elite group by now.

Both Hung Up and 4mins are mainstream songs - big hits - bothspending multiple weeks at no1 - something Madonna did nt achieve since 1990 in the UK. HU gave enough confidence to Madonna fans to buy the album - it was head to head with Take Thats greatest hits and their media machine and it managed a 2 weeks at no1 - something very strong in the Xmas period when so many artists release or promote current albums to get a boost in sales. Reagrdless of the low market and it not being XMAS - HC is nt something fans will invest in.

Anyway its not the flop people make it out to be - its still top 20 and might scrape it to 450,000 - crikey even Kylie's X may outsell it LOL but who gives a Fuck?

You forgot to take it into account that "Hung Up" sold most of its sales in a holiday season, so your argument about selling double if it was released in 2008 does not stand. Especially because in 2005 physical sales still mattered, today the digital sales make up for the missing sales of physical. No matter what, "4 Minutes" was meant to sell the same as "Hung Up".

And funny that you say you can't compare the sales, yet you're the first who point out how low the sales of HC are, without remembering that it's not the holiday season, sales are much lower for albums and Madonna usually does not have a clear blockbluster with a spring release with the exception of Ray Of Light.

How much extra does an album sell in the holiday season? Hard Candy will also be around druing November and December so it can also benfit from Xmas sales.

This will depend on how subsequent singles perform and whethey they do some sort of promo push for the album.

It's pointless comparing the album with COADF - in comparison with American Life, it's doing fine and isn't in the bargain bins as people were predicting it would be at this stage. Warners/Madonna could have done more however in terms of marketing and promo.

So lets stop making comparisons cause albums/singles are always going to be released in different circumstances

And Danny, I did NOT say one can compare HC with COADF what I said was "it is funny how people blame the market to justify low sales of HC, but dont realise that the singles market has increased."

We will never know how 4 minutes would have done in 2005 or HU in 2008, but time will tell us which song will become a M classic

there's a bit of media coverage about her birthday already, so i hope that helps sales. itunes should offer her tunes for 50p on the day as a gimic hehehe if warners gave a shit they would have set up loads of tv stuff to coincide

The truth is that HC has underperformed regardless of the time of year or because sales generally are lower. The better comparisons can be made at the end of the year as HC may pick up good sales if the final singles do well.

Coldplay have managed very high sales with their latest effort so they have shown it can still be done with the right release and promo.

Guest FuckBuddy

HC is underperforming cause this time around the music appeals to people who buy singles and not albums. she may have hired timbaland and pharrell to come up with the goodies, only she forgot her main audience are 30 year olds who may dance to timbaland records on a night out but would rather pick duffy or coldplay when visiting hmv. she probably targeted a younger audience this time around, only she failed big time. the youngsters downloaded the single and cared shit about the album, that's the truth.

The truth is that HC has underperformed regardless of the time of year or because sales generally are lower. The better comparisons can be made at the end of the year as HC may pick up good sales if the final singles do well.

Coldplay have managed very high sales with their latest effort so they have shown it can still be done with the right release and promo.

Isn't it the 15th biggest seller of the year - that proves it's in line with the trend. I'm not defending it, the whole project was misjudged and sales *would* be better had there been some sort of *noticeable* marketing campaign and promotion however, it's nowhere near as CATASTROPHIC as American Life which was as BONAFIDE a flop as one of her movies.

The bulk of the album sales should have been over and done with by now. It will probably slip from being the 15th biggest seller over the year. i doubt it will get past 15 unless one of the songs turns out to be a miracle 3rd or 4th hit. For an m album released so early in the year it should be in the top 10 best sellign this year.

Isn't it the 15th biggest seller of the year - that proves it's in line with the trend. I'm not defending it, the whole project was misjudged and sales *would* be better had there been some sort of *noticeable* marketing campaign and promotion however, it's nowhere near as CATASTROPHIC as American Life which was as BONAFIDE a flop as one of her movies.

Guest Danny86

Tuesday Top 40 Midweeks

Singles

1 Katy Perry

2 Verve

3 Kid Rock

4 Script

5 Dizzee Rascal

Top 10

Rihanna

Madcon

Coldplay

Top 15

Ida Maria

Top 20

Bloc Party

Top 30

Nelly

Spoon, Harris & Obernik

Sara Bareilles

Flo Rida - Low

Top 40

Go:Audio

Taio Cruz

Albums

1 Script

2 Abba

3 Noah And The Whale

4 Duffy

5 Coldplay

Top 10

Jane McDonald

Top 15

Levellers

Top 20

Gabriella Cilmi

Top 30

Late Of The Pier

Top 40

Fightstar

Bob Marley - Legend

Madonna update: Single Top 20, Album Top 25

I guess HC is gonna fall a lot this week and next week, but after that it's gonna climb again.

Yes, hence why "underperformed" is a better term than "flop" as it is the 15th biggest seller so far, as you say. Chart wise it has done much better than AL. That was dead soon after Hollywood.

It may still pick up sales throughout the year but it will need to maintain a high chart position to even get to 500,000 overall sales. I think 500,000 would be viewed as ok in the current market versus other albums etc. Perhaps 900,000 would be a comparable success versus COADF etc as sales are lower now but I doubt that is going to happen.

Re the promotion, it did have the initial hype but with sales like they are, the efforts now go towards touring rather than expending promo with diminishing sales opportunities.

Re the promotion, it did have the initial hype but with sales like they are, the efforts now go towards touring rather than expending promo with diminishing sales opportunities.

Oh please - it had NO hype apart from that stupid Maidstone gig broadcast on a low ratings channel. I said when it was reported that she was doing those usual launch gigs that they needed to come up with something new - they're beyond being of interest anymore. She needs to stop releasing new stuff if she sees it as secondary to touring.

Oh please - it had NO hype apart from that stupid Maidstone gig broadcast on a low ratings channel. I said when it was reported that she was doing those usual launch gigs that they needed to come up with something new - they're beyond being of interest anymore. She needs to stop releasing new stuff if she sees it as secondary to touring.

I kinda agree...but then I would rather prefer that she wouldnt try to do commercial music. She should experiment.

If it doesnt sell anyway, then why not?

The initial hype being the usual media reviews. Since then, apart from Maidstone, it has all gone quiet.

How did Rihanna's "Disturbia" fly into the top 10 if its not a proper single release? "Rehab" was on the schedule for the follow up to "Take A Bow".

Disturbia is getting a lot of airplay and the video is getting a lot of play too, quite impressive for a non release. :scared:

Guest FuckBuddy

lack of promotion for HC, are u fuckin kidding me? madonna herself may cared shit about promoting it, but warners did everything in their powers to make sure everyone in the western world knew there was a new madonna album out. the hype was there, it's just that casual fans felt indifferent about the project and chose to download the lead single instead. it's as simple as that. if a killer single such as gi2m cannot even make it to the top5, there's no reason to believe why any other album track can revive this album's fortunes. hC will definitely go platinum but i cannot see it passing the 400k mark really soon, which is a good thing as she'll probably be alarmed to step over to the pop/dance genre again cause that's where she fits.

Guest Danny86
it's just that casual fans felt indifferent about the project and chose to download the lead single instead

Maybe because that's how the music industry works now except for a few acts here and there? Madonna has always been a singles artist and now the iTunes accentuates that. It's so obvious that you're disliking the album and trying to believe that the "casual fans" listened to the album and did not buy it because it sucks. It's not like COADF would be above 5-600,000 today if it was released on April 28th, 2008 yet "Hung Up" would most definitely be over that.

which is a good thing as she'll probably be alarmed to step over to the pop/dance genre again cause that's where she fits.

Read above, a so called pop-dance album would not have sold loads more than HC anyway (even though HC is quite pop and dance, but not COADF enough for your taste, you probably meant). And thanks but no thanks, I'd rather have Madonna try out different genres once in a while to get new fans instead of doing the same kind of music to her aging fanbase as if she was Kylie Minogue. Besides, "4 Minutes" is one of her biggest US & UK hits, she's definitely not "alarmed" about anything. Not to mention that when Madonna is going to have a $250 million gross with the tour, she won't care if HC is Platinum or 4x Platinum in the UK.

Madonna has had plenty of million selling albums in the UK - she is strong as a singles and albums artist. She was one of the few acts in the COADF era who managed to get all single releases into the top 10. Scissor sisters had a big lead single but the rest dived. i think even JT and Beyonce's final singlers probably missed the top 10.

COADF came with a good positive buzz - HC did not. COADF was released 5 years after her last commerical success. I have not bought the HC album and i would not even it it did the Kylie X £2 bargain bins. I just dont like the album. it reminds me of Nelly Furtado, Gwen Stefani, Fergie, Britney music - in fact I liked britney's last album and Piece of Me I prefer to any HC song except Miles Away maybe. the only other Madona album I disliked was BS. I love the flop that was American Life - some of the songs on it are true gems to me. many fans hate it because it under-performed (I wont call AL flop)

I do believe a significant amount of Madonna fans may have not bought the album because they did nt like it - i can put my hand up and say i am one of them. I know others who wont be buying it too. The album has alienated some fans - i doubt its attracted a new younger fanbase, sales speak otherwise.

I dont think Madonna has ever made the same kind of music - she has done vastly different styles of music - most of her dance songs are very distinct from one another. HC is a dance album with an urban flavour. i wish it would go past 600,000 in the UK but thats going to be a hard slog and wold need some good promo around XMAS time.

Maybe because that's how the music industry works now except for a few acts here and there? Madonna has always been a singles artist and now the iTunes accentuates that. It's so obvious that you're disliking the album and trying to believe that the "casual fans" listened to the album and did not buy it because it sucks. It's not like COADF would be above 5-600,000 today if it was released on April 28th, 2008 yet "Hung Up" would most definitely be over that.

Read above, a so called pop-dance album would not have sold loads more than HC anyway (even though HC is quite pop and dance, but not COADF enough for your taste, you probably meant). And thanks but no thanks, I'd rather have Madonna try out different genres once in a while to get new fans instead of doing the same kind of music to her aging fanbase as if she was Kylie Minogue. Besides, "4 Minutes" is one of her biggest US & UK hits, she's definitely not "alarmed" about anything. Not to mention that when Madonna is going to have a $250 million gross with the tour, she won't care if HC is Platinum or 4x Platinum in the UK.