Madonna on the United World Chart

sniper

Guest danielal

Not to mention that for example I haven't even yet bought the album! Here inRomania it's a little bit hard to find it and I still have to raise some money to buy it!

The good news is that because of the weak dollar is way cheaper than Confessions was and I'll be able to buy 2 copies, one for me and one for my sister!

Oh come on. China and India represent 2 of those 6 billion, those are poor countries, she won't sell 1 million copies on first week in those countries.

However I agree with everything else you said, Euro guys here are so lame calling themselves better just because Madonna is bigger there than in the US.

Lol, I agree with u Alexz

Scrapple, this is what I meant by 'to put it into perspective':

USA 300 million inhabitants and 280.000 sold ---> 0.93 albums sold every 1000 inhabitanats

UK 60 million inhabitants and 95.000 sold ---> 1.58 albums sold every 1000 inhabitants

Dont have total European numbers (or time)

Also bear in mind that Most European countries except Ireland and UK speak other languages so they have their own local starts.... It is unfair to expect those countries to sell proportionally similar amounts than their English-speaking counterparts.

And I repeat, HC (as BTS was) is more American-oriented as a whole, and especially 4 minutes..., so a sharp drop in EU markets was expected.

I actually live in Europe and a little dissapointed and surprised!

between US Japan Canada Australia she did 410 k

other countries outside Europe ~ 50 k

so what surprises me is that this means that in Europe she did only~ 300 k just about what she did in US

but in time this will all change cause the album is great it will have long legs there's a tour coming and it will sell just like Amy Winehouse 's album WW

Like Amy Winehouse????????? I wish you are right but I doubt that very much. Amy has sold almost 10 million and she is still selling 100k a week. Nowadays very few albums can achieve those levels. I will be happy if HC sells 6 million, which nowadays is good.

Guest Danny86
Secondly, Hard Candy was recorded thinking of the American market, CODF was very European-oriented. Of course HC wasnt gonna sell as well as CODF in Europe, I think everyone expected that.

Boring.

Guest danielal

The first week's sales for this album are not indicative for what this album will sell in the future. Still Hard Candy sold around 800 k in the world- the biggest debut this year so far and it's absolutely HUGE. But keep in mind that GI2M is in my opinion at least much better than Sorry. Thsi album will have long legs, it will sell a lot but in time. Time will tell the story and of course ''Devil Would't Recognize You'' and Miles Away released as singles not for the chart position but for the videos. Especially ''Devil Would't Recognize You'' is a MUST for the 3RD SINGLE

Guest Ruanrushedin

Hard Candy opened very impressively. I'm VERY positive that the next few singles

will keep the album in profile. GI2M looks set to be huge, and so will Miles Away. After

that, I think HC will start losing momentum.....

However, we should expect a large drop in second week sales I think.....

Guest iMisto

So, did she do 802k in one week, or 758k????

I need to know, cause that's a big difference to me. Somebody tell me!

So, did she do 802k in one week, or 758k????

I need to know, cause that's a big difference to me. Somebody tell me!

802K includes the 44K from the previous week when some countries put it on sale ealier than their normal release day.

She obviously beat all of her acclaimed competitors in the first week worldwide sales. Congratulations Madonna. I'm sure when "Give It 2 Me" released her sales will rise again especially in Europe...

Guest truebluefan

She does have two fantastic singles coming up with Give it 2 Me and Miles Away as second and third single. They will both be smashhits at least in Europe and drive albumsales. Miles Away should be the third single according to rumors and I really want it to be. Miles Away is the best song on the album and the song that nonMadonnafans likes the most, at least the ones I played the album for. I just know that the combo of those two songs will make the album huge in Europe.

It's pretty safe to assume that had France etc. not put the CD out earlier than the rest of the world, those 44k in sales would have happened in the same week as the other 758k, so it's not unreasonable to list her first week sales as 802k (with a 758k + 44k SVD disclaimer attached :)).

Guest SuperPop
Hard Candy was recorded thinking of the American market, CODF was very European-oriented. Of course HC wasnt gonna sell as well as CODF in Europe, I think everyone expected that.

Exactly..although some deluded posters here always blame it on the season period...Duffy ,for example, she released her album in UK in an even worse selling period (2 months ago) and she did amazing numbers (the same applied last year for Mika)...the problem with 'Hard Candy' is the fact that is totally represented from the first urban single..although the whole album is not urban at all (mostly pure pop), casual fans dont know that..all in all, if HC ends up with 5-6 million worldwide it will be a very good number (considering the null Madge promotion)...COADF was a megasuccess (worldwide mostly)...I dont think that numbers can be easily reached anymore..except if she records another ROL (album) or HU (blockbuster single)...

hopefully GI2M will give the album a great boost this summer...

for week 21 / 2008 - May 24

Hard Candy #1 340.000

total: 1.142.000

4 Minutes 5th week at #1

I really don't get how this album is a flop. It's sold more worldwide in 2 weeks than most other acts have all year. And next week, she should outsell Mimi (worldwide, of course).

I hope "Give It 2 Me" takes off in Europe the way I think it will.

Zago's ww estimates:

2008's BEST SELLERS TO DATE

Jack Johnson Sleep Through The Static 2.157.000 2.318.775

Michael Jackson Thriller (25th Anniversary Reissue) 1.848.000 1.986.600

Mariah Carey E=MC2 1.217.000 1.308.275

Duffy Rockferry 1.173.000 1.260.975

Madonna Hard Candy 1.142.000 1.227.650

Soundtrack Juno 929.000 998.675

Lenny Kravitz It's Time For A Love Revolution 887.000 953.525

R.E.M. Accelerate 790.000 849.250

Janet Jackson Discipline 595.000 639.625

Adele 19 542.000 582.650

Guest harbors

Mariah (5 weeks)

US (YTD): 886,020

WW (YTD): 1,320,214

Madonna (3 weeks)

US (YTD): 427,001

WW (YTD): 1,384,000

Mariah (5 weeks)

US (YTD):

Madonna (3 weeks)

US (YTD):

I knew you were gonna post that since I saw you replied here. Talk about a very sad obsession.

Guest harbors
I knew you were gonna post that since I saw you replied here. Talk about a very sad obsession.

r u ok, ugly bitch? i know ur a mariah fan but seriously, who gives a fuck.

Mariah (5 weeks)

US (YTD):

Madonna (3 weeks)

US (YTD):

I am glad you posted this one... ignore Alexz Jay...