Jump to content
MadonnaNation.com Forums

The promo campaign for Ms new album


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Roland Barthes said:

I remember reading that the promotion for Celebration only in the UK had a million pounds budget. 

It was heavily promoted on TV with adverts when it was released. That alone must of cost a fair bit!

Im guessing the promotion budget ALL comes out of her own pocket now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets face it:
MDNA SKIN was 10 x times bigger promo campaign than the next album will have.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Confessit said:

Yeh your right ! 

It will be telling if she goes back to a traditional record company after this! 

But I agree with your example.

The example wasn't great, but iasonas summed it up pretty well. Labels have years/decades building relationships with retail, radio, and press. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dollhouse said:

Lets face it:
MDNA SKIN was 10 x times bigger promo campaign than the next album will have.

The power of her LN contract !

And that’s the contract that matters they shelled out air of money for her to go out and give them a good return. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, vocalism said:

The example wasn't great, but iasonas summed it up pretty well. Labels have years/decades building relationships with retail, radio, and press. 

Yeh that’s true I wonder how she herself truly feels about it.

I’d love to know!! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Confessit said:

Yeh that’s true I wonder how she herself truly feels about it.

I’d love to know!! 

Me too. Part of it must be ignorance. Surely she couldn't have expected MDNA to do as badly as it did, especially worldwide. Maybe Guy convinced her that her success had less to do with Warner Bros. that it actually did and that she could continue on name recognition alone. Sadly, based on what she's said in interviews and such, I think she probably chalks is up to ageism, not terrible management. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, vocalism said:

Me too. Part of it must be ignorance. Surely she couldn't have expected MDNA to do as badly as it did, especially worldwide. Maybe Guy convinced her that her success had less to do with Warner Bros. that it actually did and that she could continue on name recognition alone. Sadly, based on what she's said in interviews and such, I think she probably chalks is up to ageism, not terrible management. 

I agree I think she holds ageism to account like calling out the radio and such.

But she must know she had all that promo for 25 years she’s launched album after album with WB so it must of been obvious she was getting no where near the same perks with Interscope !

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Stephen said:

She should do Spotify Sessions! Live tracks that can double the streaming of the single. 

I think she should concentrate on digital promotion to boost streaming over the usual talk show spot.

Change things up abit and look at what’s going to achieve a commercial return.

Go to iTunes and offer to work out a deal. Do a YouTube exclusive, link into online radio stations and such....

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hire a young, street smart, hungry project manager.  Guy O has brought lot of cash to her but now he is so stale... He is reppin' U2!!!  And they feel so old now.

And stay away from social media until the single/album drops.  She is awful at it!

PS.  Please do not use Akerlund again! he sucks!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone Guy reps has seen their star power tank.  U2 has gone downhill since Guy.  Alicia Keys, Amy Schumer, and alas, Madonna.  I doubt she will hire a new manager though. 

 

I think she can turn the tides if she does a high caliber tv performance.  Not what she's been turning out lately.  She needs to do something at the level of GGW MDNA.  No one in the GP knows she's still capable of things like that. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/01/2018 at 4:43 AM, iasonas said:

Without a proper label nothing is going to change. It will be like MDNA and Rebel Heart all over again.

No manager has the connections a label has.

A label like Warner has local marketing, promotion and radio teams in every single developed country in the world. How could Guy push the song in Germany, France, Brazil etc..? We're talking about a global superstar. He can't do anything from some office in LA.

If you count how many employees Warner has in every country, we're talking about THOUSANDS of people who worked hard on a LOCAL level to promote her singles and albums. People who spoke the local language, with connections and a budget they had from each country's Warner subsidiary.

This post is very depressing but ultimately true. Although I wouldn't say that noting is going to change. Improvements could be made to at least try to outperform the promo for the last two albums. But it's not gonna come close to what would be possible with a company like Warner & a better deal.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Despite what a lot of people on this forum say, I think trying to increase streaming for an older artist like Madonna is a losing battle. What she really needs to do is think outside of the box and give people an incentive to buy the physical by including some extra bonus you can't get by streaming. For example. What if she wrote her autobiography and it had never before seen rare pictures and it was bundled with the new album? Something very unique like that is the only way to really increase her sales. Not the standard perform on some tv show. That isn't going to make a huge difference.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ill say it again. She needs a Funko Pop line with all her iconic looks!!!!!!! Lol

I made a comment on their Facebook page about it and expected alot of wtfs and blowback, but shockingly I got alot of thumbs up from alot of females at the idea.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Glindathegood said:

Despite what a lot of people on this forum say, I think trying to increase streaming for an older artist like Madonna is a losing battle. What she really needs to do is think outside of the box and give people an incentive to buy the physical by including some extra bonus you can't get by streaming. For example. What if she wrote her autobiography and it had never before seen rare pictures and it was bundled with the new album? Something very unique like that is the only way to really increase her sales. Not the standard perform on some tv show. That isn't going to make a huge difference.

Why increase both?

I do agree that to sell physical copies (whoever the artist is) they do need to give people some kind of incentive. But I also think that there are ways to promote streams & there are probably ways to give fans incentive to promote online, if there is nobody else to do it. But it would be GuyO's job to come up with that kind of plan. I won't be holding my breath.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Skin said:

Ill say it again. She needs a Funko Pop line with all her iconic looks!!!!!!! Lol

I made a comment on their Facebook page about it and expected alot of wtfs and blowback, but shockingly I got alot of thumbs up from alot of females at the idea.  

That’s a cool idea. Her official store could sell them. 

My big hope for this era is that there’s no leaks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing with streaming is just because someone streams something doesn't mean they like it or are a big fan of the artist. A lot of times I stream something because I read about it or are curious about what an artist sounds like. I stream it and then decide I don't like it.  So that's why personally I don't agree with including streaming in the main charts. They should have a separate chart that just includes streaming. 

Everyone here expects Guy or any manager to be some kind of magician. I think with a promotion plan you have to be practical and realistic for it to work. With an artist like Madonna any plan to increase streaming is going to have only a limited effect. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 11 months later...
2 hours ago, just!ce said:

the release of the new masterpiece comes closer. let's share our new ideas for the promo campaign. 🙂

Great idea! We haven't covered this topic in some time! Here is what I think:

  1. I think M's first single must drop with the video at the same time to surprise us all... with a big streaming push on all platforms. She needs to keep all the focus on that one song/video (and maybe a second), but don't release anything else from the album for a couple of months.
  2. She needs to do Live streaming's on Instagram. While shooting videos, chatting with her kids, prepping for live appearances on talk shows, whatever... she needs to be live as much as she can stand,  creating buzz!! and saying controversial things.  If the musing is great, controversy only helps. Look at Kanye West and at M's previous famous promo campaigns over the decades.
  3. Some live performances - are a must. First must be on the same day as the song release.
    • Jimmy Fallon (New York) show - a  live performance is a must! She can talk about her butt too
    • Stephen Colbert is a second great late-night talk shows option in New York 
    • SNL makes sense only when she has two songs out (two songs must be performed live between comedy sketches), but M needs to do it prior to the summer hiatus that starts in late April. It is a big deal here in US to do SNL.
    • Ellen DeGeneres day time show is a must - live performance and fun chat... for the stay home moms (LA show). 
    • James Corden and Jimmy Kimmel are two other great late-night talk shows in Los Angeles that are great options (both famous for great live performances!). She will be after all hosting her own Oscar after party on Feb 24th, so it can take place around that time.
  4. She needs to do radio interviews in the big four markets - LA, NY, etc.  These days are video taped and are released on YouTube (no longer can she do them from her bad on the phone). She is the only one that can get herself back on the radio if she wants it bad enough.
  5.  In terms of awards, I think M needs to be at the Grammy Awards and Brit Awards.
  6. She MUST do Coachella Festival both her buddy Diplo and Ariana G are performing. She can be part of both or one of their sets. :)

I'll stop here. :)

 

List of 2019 Awards options (and known dates):

February, 2019:

  • Super Bowl LIII 2019: Sunday, Feb 3rd

  • 61st Annual GRAMMY Awards (on CBS): held on Sunday, Feb 10th at 5:00 PM PST

  • The Brit Awards will be held on Wednesday, Feb 20th at the O2 Arena in London. 

  • Oscars (on ABC): Sunday, Feb 24th 5:00 PM PST (M will be throwing her annual party).

 March, 2019:

  • iHeartRadio Music Awards (on FOX): Thursday, Mar 14th at 8 PM EST at Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles

April, 2019:

  • Billboard Latin Music Week and Awards: April 22-25 in Las Vegas

  • Coachella Festival Dates (artists need to commit to a date on both weekends):

    • April 12 to 14th

    • April 19 to 21st

May, 2019:

  • Billboard Music Awards (on NBC): Wednesday, May 1st at 8 PM EST

June, 2019:

  • MTV Movie Awards: Jun 15th at Barker Hangar, Santa Monica, CA

  • Glastonbury Festival: June 26th to 30that Worthy Farm, United Kingdom

  • World Pride, New York City celebration: Sunday, June 30 at 9:00 AM PDT

August, 2019:

  • MTV Music Awards (in NY City): Sunday, August 18th

October, 2019:

  • American Music Awards

  • Latin American Music Awards

NOVEMBER, 2019:

  • MTV Europe Music Awards

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CalinB said:

Great idea! We haven't covered this topic in some time! Here is what I think:

  1. I think M's first single must drop with the video at the same time to surprise us all... with a big streaming push on all platforms. She needs to keep all the focus on that one song/video (and maybe a second), but don't release anything else from the album for a couple of months.
  2. She needs to do Live streaming's on Instagram. While shooting videos, chatting with her kids, prepping for live appearances on talk shows, whatever... she needs to be live as much as she can stand,  creating buzz!! and saying controversial things.  If the musing is great, controversy only helps. Look at Kanye West and at M's previous famous promo campaigns over the decades.
  3. Some live performances - are a must. First must be on the same day as the song release.
    • Jimmy Fallon (New York) show - a  live performance is a must! She can talk about her butt too
    • Stephen Colbert is a second great late-night talk shows option in New York 
    • SNL makes sense only when she has two songs out (two songs must be performed live between comedy sketches), but M needs to do it prior to the summer hiatus that starts in late April. It is a big deal here in US to do SNL.
    • Ellen DeGeneres day time show is a must - live performance and fun chat... for the stay home moms (LA show). 
    • James Corden and Jimmy Kimmel are two other great late-night talk shows in Los Angeles that are great options (both famous for great live performances!). She will be after all hosting her own Oscar after party on Feb 24th, so it can take place around that time.
  4. She needs to do radio interviews in the big four markets - LA, NY, etc.  These days are video taped and are released on YouTube (no longer can she do them from her bad on the phone). She is the only one that can get herself back on the radio if she wants it bad enough.
  5.  In terms of awards, I think M needs to be at the Grammy Awards and Brit Awards.
  6. She MUST do Coachella Festival both her buddy Diplo and Ariana G are performing. She can be part of both or one of their sets. 🙂

I'll stop here. 🙂

 

List of 2019 Awards options (and known dates):

February, 2019:

  • Super Bowl LIII 2019: Sunday, Feb 3rd

  • 61st Annual GRAMMY Awards (on CBS): held on Sunday, Feb 10th at 5:00 PM PST

  • The Brit Awards will be held on Wednesday, Feb 20th at the O2 Arena in London. 

  • Oscars (on ABC): Sunday, Feb 24th 5:00 PM PST (M will be throwing her annual party).

 March, 2019:

  • iHeartRadio Music Awards (on FOX): Thursday, Mar 14th at 8 PM EST at Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles

April, 2019:

  • Billboard Latin Music Week and Awards: April 22-25 in Las Vegas

  • Coachella Festival Dates (artists need to commit to a date on both weekends):

    • April 12 to 14th

    • April 19 to 21st

May, 2019:

  • Billboard Music Awards (on NBC): Wednesday, May 1st at 8 PM EST

June, 2019:

  • MTV Movie Awards: Jun 15th at Barker Hangar, Santa Monica, CA

  • Glastonbury Festival: June 26th to 30that Worthy Farm, United Kingdom

  • World Pride, New York City celebration: Sunday, June 30 at 9:00 AM PDT

August, 2019:

  • MTV Music Awards (in NY City): Sunday, August 18th

October, 2019:

  • American Music Awards

  • Latin American Music Awards

NOVEMBER, 2019:

  • MTV Europe Music Awards

AMAZING LIST

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Dr Lecter said:

I love the funko pop idea 

 

look how huge the Golden Girls ones are . Imagine a load of M looks and eras.

 

It'll never happen, Madonna doesn't think like that

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, CalinB said:

Great idea! We haven't covered this topic in some time! Here is what I think:

  1. I think M's first single must drop with the video at the same time to surprise us all... with a big streaming push on all platforms. She needs to keep all the focus on that one song/video (and maybe a second), but don't release anything else from the album for a couple of months.
  2.  She needs to do Live streaming's on Instagram. While shooting videos, chatting with her kids, prepping for live appearances on talk shows, whatever... she needs to be live as much as she can stand,  creating buzz!! and saying controversial things.  If the musing is great, controversy only helps. Look at Kanye West and at M's previous famous promo campaigns over the decades.
  3.  Some live performances - are a must. First must be on the same day as the song release.
    •  Jimmy Fallon (New York) show - a  live performance is a must! She can talk about her butt too
    • Stephen Colbert is a second great late-night talk shows option in New York 
    • SNL makes sense only when she has two songs out (two songs must be performed live between comedy sketches), but M needs to do it prior to the summer hiatus that starts in late April. It is a big deal here in US to do SNL.
    •  Ellen DeGeneres day time show is a must - live performance and fun chat... for the stay home moms (LA show). 
    • James Corden and Jimmy Kimmel are two other great late-night talk shows in Los Angeles that are great options (both famous for great live performances!). She will be after all hosting her own Oscar after party on Feb 24th, so it can take place around that time.
  4. She needs to do radio interviews in the big four markets - LA, NY, etc.  These days are video taped and are released on YouTube (no longer can she do them from her bad on the phone). She is the only one that can get herself back on the radio if she wants it bad enough.
  5.  In terms of awards, I think M needs to be at the Grammy Awards and Brit Awards.
  6. She MUST do Coachella Festival both her buddy Diplo and Ariana G are performing. She can be part of both or one of their sets. 🙂

I'll stop here. 🙂

 

List of 2019 Awards options (and known dates):

February, 2019:

  • Super Bowl LIII 2019: Sunday, Feb 3rd

  • 61st Annual GRAMMY Awards (on CBS): held on Sunday, Feb 10th at 5:00 PM PST

  • The Brit Awards will be held on Wednesday, Feb 20th at the O2 Arena in London. 

  • Oscars (on ABC): Sunday, Feb 24th 5:00 PM PST (M will be throwing her annual party).

 March, 2019:

  • iHeartRadio Music Awards (on FOX): Thursday, Mar 14th at 8 PM EST at Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles

April, 2019:

  • Billboard Latin Music Week and Awards: April 22-25 in Las Vegas

  •  Coachella Festival Dates (artists need to commit to a date on both weekends):

    • April 12 to 14th

    • April 19 to 21st

May, 2019:

  • Billboard Music Awards (on NBC): Wednesday, May 1st at 8 PM EST

 June, 2019:

  • MTV Movie Awards: Jun 15th at Barker Hangar, Santa Monica, CA

  • Glastonbury Festival: June 26th to 30that Worthy Farm, United Kingdom

  • World Pride, New York City celebration: Sunday, June 30 at 9:00 AM PDT

August, 2019:

  • MTV Music Awards (in NY City): Sunday, August 18th

October, 2019:

  • American Music Awards

  • Latin American Music Awards

NOVEMBER, 2019:

  • MTV Europe Music Awards

No to all of these except possibly Billboard Latin Awards, Glastonbury and World Pride. The rest can eat it 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Suedey said:

No to all of these except possibly Billboard Latin Awards, Glastonbury and World Pride. The rest can eat it 

 

Actually any PR co. worth its salt would be making her do EVERY SINGLE ONE of em (and more!) That's the point we're at now I'm afraid...

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2018 at 11:26 PM, White Heat said:

This post is very depressing but ultimately true. Although I wouldn't say that noting is going to change. Improvements could be made to at least try to outperform the promo for the last two albums. But it's not gonna come close to what would be possible with a company like Warner & a better deal.

yeah i agree with that post also .....

Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...