Killing of gorilla to save boy at Ohio zoo sparks outrage

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ohio-gorilla-idUSKCN0YK0OT

The killing of a gorilla at the Cincinnati Zoo after a 4-year-old boy tumbled into the ape's enclosure triggered outrage and questions about safety, but zoo officials called the decision to use lethal force a tough but necessary choice.

RIP this Gorilla

What is that kid doing in a dangerous cave ? Where were the parents ? And why do they have to KILL that gorilla instead of tranquillise it or shoot its leg or arm ?

I am sorry but I dont understand this whole story. The parents need to be denonced fot not caring their kid !

The kid fell on the zone.

the thing is that if the gorilla had killed the kid, people would be outraged.

I know what some people mean. I do feel too that it was maybe unnecesary. I do feel for the gorilla, because it seems that it was not attacking the kid, but kind of taking care of him.

But those Social Warriors that surely will be screaming for days, should be on that man's shoes. If a kid may be killed, you protect the kid. PERIOD. If you don't, not only you extinguish a life and cause incredible pain to the family, you ruin your life too.

They should've just let the little boy die. There're are so many kids. Gorillas are going extinct.

society and social media are so sad right now that i can't even tell if this is a joke or not. I've seen so many people stick up for that animal that nothing surprises me anymore

The idiot parents need to be fined. And trust me I have a little brother and it's easy to lose them sometimes but not at a fucking zoo. The only reason they were AT the damn zoo was so that their kid could see all the animals. They should be glued to your side at all times it's not like going to Walmart or something where they often wander to the toy section as you look at dvd's or something.

Idiot people. Ugh.

Guest Mauro

society and social media are so sad right now that i can't even tell if this is a joke or not. I've seen so many people stick up for that animal that nothing surprises me anymore

Ain't that the truth.

There were concerns that a tranquilizer would have enraged the gorilla and he would have ripped the kid to shreds. They are not instant and the kid was literally right beside him. So yea.

Such a sad story. Dreadful that a beautiful endangered animal had to die because parents did not watch their child like a hawk after he was saying he wanted to be with the gorilla and climbed through a barrier. There was nothing else they could have done sadly as they can't allow a child to be harmed, let alone maybe killed. Why there needs to be child proof barriers that kids can't crawl through. Another sad thing is that the gorilla may not have even harmed the little boy but they could not take that chance. Feel so sorry for that beautiful gorilla, who has lost his life because of human stupidity.

Guest Rachelle of London

Am I the only one wondering why it was so easy for the kid to get in there in the first place?

They should've just let the little boy die. There're are so many kids. Gorillas are going extinct.

Humans really are a plague on this planet. We're responsible for the failing health of the environment and the rapid extinction of animals and plants.

Just can't have enough humans.

Am I the only one wondering why it was so easy for the kid to get in there in the first place?

Have you ever been to a zoo? You just basically jump into these types of enclosures.

article-0-16983C6E000005DC-693_634x379.j

This isn't the same zoo, but they're not designed to make it impossible for people to walk in. They require a little common sense.

Yes, of course I was kidding about the kid being ripped to shreds. I do think kids like these are stupid, though. Like some kid who came to my restaurant the other day. He walked into the kitchen, walked up to the fryer and started playing with it. This happened all within 10 seconds. Could've burned his face off. Of course I would've been the monster had that happened. His mom was too drunk to realize it and didn't give a shit when I started scolding him.

15mo46p.jpg

:cries: I love Gorillas, they are such proud, magnificent and beautiful animals. The fact they are endangered makes this even worse.

Parents should be watching their young children at places such as the zoo. I don't blame the little boy, he is just 4 years old. People were saying that they over-heard the child saying he wanted to get in the enclosure with the gorilla. What was his parents doing ? All of this could have been so easily avoided. Now the little boy has been through a frightening ordeal and getting hate from people and the gorilla has been killed. Awful situation and should never have happened in the first place.

I mean this is a zoo, so you have to take care of your child.

Even in a children playground parents has to take care of their children.

I hope the parents are now very very proud that a beautiful gorilla which is dangered died because of their stupity.

There is no room for animals in wild-life and so is in zoos.

What a sad world for them.

And yes, if you want to commit suicide go to a zoo in a lions cave ......

It's a shame that the gorilla had to die...why can't those parents look after their child?

We had a similar thing happening here in the zoo where a zoo keeper was attacked by a tiger. They had to shoot the tiger too. Someone forgot to close the door of the tigers cage...so sad.