Did Madonna hit on the Pharrell sound before it became big ?

markm

Yes, Id say so.

She made Pharrell.

This was their 1st masterpiece:

Who said Madonna made Pharrell?

I think what some of us are saying is the songs that Pharell produced and the sound he created on HC are very "now". So did Madonna's instincts tell her that the urban R&B sound with big baselines was going to be big again?

Dollhouse did.

When I listen to Hard Candy, I hear....

Stevie Wonder, Billy Preston, Sam Cooke, King Curtis, Al Green, Syreeta.... This is the inspiration for HC.

Pharrell only borrowed from all of the above, and then some.

Pharell did work with other artists before MADONNA around 2007 but the sounds they made in Hard Candy is the one that is evident in Pharrell's sound today... His works with other artists in the 00s are different from the HC... so we could say that HC was indeed ahead of its time... Give It To Me, The Beat Goes On, She's Not Me are those sounds prevalent in Pharrell's works nowadays...

Beat goes on is soooooo good!!! I love it!!!

Heartbeat with a killer video would've been huge!

GITM is awsome and the video is just so update.

4 Minutes is the only track from HC that i don't listen to anymore. Latte and Across the Sky should have been on the album.

Wow at all this love that HC is getting...six years later. You gays just had to catch up to the queen, always ahead of the curve.

Guilty!

I was so not into HC when it first came out. I felt like Timbaland and Pharrell took over Madonna's sound. I only liked Dance 2Night, Heartbeat and Devil... I apreciate it more now.

I still can't stand Spanish Lesson though...

Wow at all this love that HC is getting...six years later. You gays just had to catch up to the queen, always ahead of the curve.

I love HC since the release of it! Along with Erotica, ROL and BS.

There were like 3 people that I recall liking HC back then Isaac, Pud and Kurt, and me of course. Kurt was the biggest defender of HC lol

And Spanish Lesson is life it self

I Love Spanish Lesson, but maybe if Latte was on the album, it would've made more sense to have it in there.

Edited by Humby

Erotica/BS/HC is the trifecta of groove. Where you around MNation circa '08?

I wasn't here. I was a lonely fan grooving at home all alone!!!! I found Mnation in 2012 and loved it!

Neither his 'current' sound, nor anything on HArd CAndy ever sounded NEW. Regardless of the trend du jour.

I find this topic kinda ridiculous, it's like some of u never heard a pop song before.

Neither his 'current' sound, nor anything on HArd CAndy ever sounded NEW. Regardless of the trend du jour.

I find this topic kinda ridiculous, it's like some of u never heard a pop song before.

:rotfl:

But I agree. Just because something is successful or in the mainstream doesn't mean it's actually 'current'-sounding at all.

I still get mad when I think about Beat goes on not being released as a single. Here in Italy a big radio station even started to play it regurarly as the fourth single. Her biggest missed opportunity probably.

There were like 3 people that I recall liking HC back then Isaac, Pud and Kurt, and me of course. Kurt was the biggest defender of HC lol

Lol yes!

The hate that album got was so ridiculous and over the top. It was dismissed before it was even released just because people didn't like the names Timbaland and Pharrell being associated with Madonna.....yet everybody seemed to like their work with everyone else at the time. But God forbid Madonna works with someone we've actually heard of before.

I loved HC then and love it now! The Pharrell songs were always my favorite.....I really would've been completely fine with them doing a full album together. Of course now, even if they hit the studio tomorrow, the album wouldn't be out for a year and people would be saying the same damn thing they did in '08.....that she's behind the curve....lol.

I miss Pharells grittier sounding stuff. I can't deal with this happy clappy crap he's just released

OMG RIIIIGHT!?

He's a genius and one of my ALL TIME FAVORITE PEOPLE but I'm not twelve and I don't listen to twelve-year-old kiddie sing-a-long music.

TELL EM'

I will forever be an M-Dolla LOON :wow:

The only song on Hard Candy that sounds like the signature Pharrell sound is candy shop, the rest have a Madonna 70's/80's rnb dance flair. I love Mdna but I find that I still play hard candy to this day it's an album that makes you feel good is funky & makes me want to groove. Perfect pick me up or to get in the mood for going out. The Pharrell sound you hear now was created during the making of hard candy.

The hate that album got was so ridiculous and over the top. It was dismissed before it was even released just because people didn't like the names Timbaland and Pharrell being associated with Madonna.....yet everybody seemed to like their work with everyone else at the time. But God forbid Madonna works with someone we've actually heard of before.

I loved HC then and love it now! The Pharrell songs were always my favorite.....I really would've been completely fine with them doing a full album together. Of course now, even if they hit the studio tomorrow, the album wouldn't be out for a year and people would be saying the same damn thing they did in '08.....that she's behind the curve....lol.

LOL...I agree :) I loved HC when it was first released and I still listen to it all the time."Miles Away" is one of my favorite 'recent' Madonna songs.It's funny,though....seems like,after MDNA,many fans are re-visiting HC and they now seem to like it more than they did in 2008.