Like A Prayer 25th Anniversary

scrapple

Here are scans from an interview with Paul Zollo taken from the book Songwriters On Songwriting.

This is my favorite interview from the Like A Prayer era conducted in L.A. during a break in filming Dick Tracy.

Enjoy!

SOS0_zps46393962.png

SOS1_zpsbb121df7.png

SOS2_zps7eeee69d.png

SOS3_zpsabf2c68d.png

SOS4_zps2eeaae7b.png

SOS5_zps1dbd382f.png

SOS6_zps8553260f.png

SOS7_zps22b0e7df.png

wow, this interview always amazes me. I think since ROL we haven't got a real interview about how many songs were put into place. And just how much Madonna praises Pat... :inlove:

As the album is fresh in her mind now, hopefully we'll get a few more songs apart from the title-track and "Express Yourself" in the 2015 tour.

I'm hoping for "Keep it Together", "Spanish Eyes" and "Oh Father" please. :wow:

Oh this is the first time I listen to the first version of Dear Jessie! After so long listening to the strip down track, it sounds weird, but at the same time it's so full of life!

As the album is fresh in her mind now, hopefully we'll get a few more songs apart from the title-track and "Express Yourself" in the 2015 tour.

I'm hoping for "Keep it Together", "Spanish Eyes" and "Oh Father" please. :wow:

I'm hoping with you-I would die to hear Oh Father live in full . It's one of my favorite M songs of all time.

And some photos I snapped of the actual magazine layout for those who haven't seen it:

rslap4_zps4c181334.png

]

I remember this article when it came out -thanks for posting it again. I always liked this picture-were there any other out takes from this photo shoot? I know there are some of her in a cemetery in a similar dress but I think it was red and her hair was up.

So she and Pat wrote LAP album only in two weeks?

Why then everyone is insisting MDNA or HC were "rushed jobs"?

Because people have short memories. Also, there is an incorrect assumption that music has to be laboured over for months. Sometimes writing songs is spontaneous and quick, others times it takes longer. There is no rhyme or reason with song writing.

So she and Pat wrote LAP album only in two weeks?

Why then everyone is insisting MDNA or HC were "rushed jobs"?

Orbit complained about not having all the time he wanted then all of a sudden the album sounded "rushed". At the same time Hard Candy went from dated to ahead of its time.

Orbit complained about not having all the time he wanted then all of a sudden the album sounded "rushed". At the same time Hard Candy went from dated to ahead of its time.

Yeah William felt rushed because he thought the experience would be similar to the ray of light experience. Things have changed. M has continued to move forward and absorb different opportunities and recording environments so she did the way she did it. Hard Candy was never ahead of it's time. It was dated but M just wanted to do something fun, hip and dance-driven to fit the mold of the upcoming tour. She doesn't care what people are "doing" or "thinking" of what she is doing. Sometimes that pleases fans (when she finds an unassuming producer and creates something groundbreaking) and in this instance, it doesn't please many fans that feel she's being generic. When you separate all the BS, Hard Candy AND MDNA are solid pop efforts and I actually think they were needed in her discography...(maybe not so much the hard candy cover) it feels straightforward pop of now where Like a Virgin and True Blue was that for the 80's and Bedtime Stories and Erotica (...? Maybe) was the straightforward but maybe more ahead r&b driven sound of the 90's.

Do I make any sense? Anyone agree? Lol

And to further discuss, Like A Prayer and (yes I know Erotica is amazing...)Ray of Light were super inspired and great. Music and American Life were this generic folk/acoustic/electronica sound (if only there were other artists making music within this style) and then came great Confessions...

Actually thinking back...I guess Bedtime Stories and Something to Remember are those generic-ish 90's albums with Erotica being the next great one.

Her first album is just a complete introduction to all this and I wouldn't count it, and I'm Breathless is a concept record for Dick Tracy which is great nonetheless.

Because people have short memories. Also, there is an incorrect assumption that music has to be laboured over for months. Sometimes writing songs is spontaneous and quick, others times it takes longer. There is no rhyme or reason with song writing.

I agree. My best written songs were written in 30-45 minutes. If I had the studio, producer, and experience, my songs would be recorded in a fly.

On that same note, sometimes it takes longer when you are trying to perfect something that usually has a looser style (I was just watching a special on Blondie and this was the case) ...they could record in no time and then with other songs they would do more and more takes which annoyed the band but the producer insisted for the sake of the complete sound.

Guest Pud Whacker

smiley-angelic001.gif

SIR STEPHEN BRAY, GETCHO SHIT TOGETHER AND LEARN HOW TO LEAK A GODDAMN MUSIC FILE!

Okkkkkk!!! The King of Life!!! Stephen Bray.

Guest Pud Whacker

And some photos I snapped of the actual magazine layout for those who haven't seen it:

rslap1_zps3d7c4601.png

rslap2_zps84e3fff6.png

rslap3_zpsd09527cb.png

rslap4_zps4c181334.png

rslap5_zps9b4574ce.png

OMG OMG, its like The Bible. <Beeble> for the german fans.

I agree. My best written songs were written in 30-45 minutes. If I had the studio, producer, and experience, my songs would be recorded in a fly.

On that same note, sometimes it takes longer when you are trying to perfect something that usually has a looser style (I was just watching a special on Blondie and this was the case) ...they could record in no time and then with other songs they would do more and more takes which annoyed the band but the producer insisted for the sake of the complete sound.

Someone is getting off on the smell of his own farts...

Someone is getting off on the smell of his own farts...

What are you talking about? I'm discussing how the time it takes to write a song or record an album varies greatly and has no implication as to whether it will be perceived as great or not.

You obviously have no appreciation in the process of songwriting and recording music. I do. You don't have to be an idiot.

The US cassingles:

lapcassingles_zpsb090160f.png

Like A Prayer (7" Version) b/w Act Of Contrition

Express Yourself (7" Remix) b/w The Look Of Love

Cherish (Fade) b/w Supernatural

Oh Father (Edit) b/w Pray For Spanish Eyes

Keep It Together (Single Remix) b/w Keep It Together (Instrumental)

:wow:

Her first commercial CD single in the US. It measures 12 inches tall and just over 3 inches wide with a folded under tear-off sleeve to house the 3" CD single (a mini-version of the 7" artwork).

PrayerUS3inch_zpsaafd2013.jpg

Like A Prayer (7" Version) b/w Act Of Contrition