Like A Prayer 25th Anniversary

scrapple

It was a wonderful era that cemented her status as an icon. She's had many wonderful eras, but there's nothing quite like the 89-91 era (LAP album and single, Vogue, The Blonde Ambition Tour, the Justify My Love video controversy, TIC's release, Truth or Dare, etc). She was literally on top of the world and no one at the time was even comparable to her celebrity status.

This was the pinnacle of Madonna's Golden Age where both commercial success and critical acclaim collided in a HUGE way. Not many artists are fortunate to have anything like it.

maybe but she had way more critical acclaim with ROL and way more sales with LAV and TB.

89-91 was the controversy years where it didn't hurt her sales.

Fuse's Videos that Rocked the World "Like a prayer" on Jaime's Madonna-tv.com, documentary with interviews by Mary Lambert & others involved in the making of the video. Interesting :

http://www.madonna-tv.com/2014/03/2007-videos-that-rocked-world-like.html

Like a prayer official remix video

http://www.madonna-tv.com/2010/03/1989-like-prayer-official-remix-video.html

do you think she can ever go on Tour again NOT singing "Like A Prayer"?

I think she should give it a rest for few years..

I couldn't disagree more! It's fine for those who have been able to see her perform it on multiple tours, but if the rumours are true and she's really going to come to Australia next year, then it would be a major letdown for Australians if she didn't include her biggest hit here, especially since she didn't include it in "The Girlie Show". I know there's a huge chance that she'll give it a rest for a while, but I really do think that it's reached the stage where "Like A Prayer" is something that she should work into every show. "Vogue", "Music" and "Hung Up" are three more, and "Into The Groove" or "Express Yourself" should be a staple, too. She's only performed one song from LAP on Australian soil. I'd like two or three next time, please (LAP, EY and OF) :)

Why do some Madonna fans get so fussy about her performing massive hit songs on more than a few tours ? Honestly, I have never heard fans of other stars complain about them performing their huge hit songs. She always performs great new songs as well and performing absolute classics is great for the audience too. It creates huge excitement for a lot of people.

Why do some Madonna fans get so fussy about her performing massive hit songs on more than a few tours ? Honestly, I have never heard fans of other stars complain about them performing their huge hit songs. She always performs great new songs as well and performing absolute classics is great for the audience too. It creates huge excitement for a lot of people.

Maybe because compared to other artists the calibre of M's back catalogue is much stronger and more consistent? The variance amongst her albums mean that many songs are almost unique, while with another artist one song may sound like another that then received a release and is played live.

:thumbsup:

I'm a fan of pop music in general. When I go to see an artist, I want to hear the songs that I know. I'm supportive of their recent stuff, but to be quite honest, unless it's Madonna, I want to hear the hits plus a sampling of whatever is on their latest album (unless their latest album is a blockbuster and has already produced multiple hits - then I want to hear them all :) ). I also don't want to hear obscure album tracks from the past - I want bona fide, crowd goes ballistic because everyone knows them hits.

If Madonna did Holiday, Like A Virgin, Into The Groove, Papa Don't Preach, Like A Prayer, Express Yourself, Vogue, Secret, Frozen, Ray of Light, Beautiful Stranger, Music, Hung Up, 4 Minutes and eight songs from her new album, then the only people who could really complain would be those who wanted her to play songs that weren't known as her signature tunes.

Im sure you knew exactly what I meant

Give this song a rest for a while and play:

Who's That Gilr

Papa Dont Preach

Causinf a Commotion

and countless of others instead..

dollhouse - why should she give one of her biggest (and most popular) hits a rest, though? WTG and CAC don't come anywhere near close to LAP in any criteria.

Im sure you knew exactly what I meant

Give this song a rest for a while and play:

Who's That Gilr

Papa Dont Preach

Causinf a Commotion

and countless of others instead..

Dollhouse, I do know what you mean and without wanting to be rude, just don't agree. I know you are not a fan of Like a Prayer - which is fine as your personal opinion - but the reality is that it's one of her most iconic and biggest hits. I love that Madonna does not cater her concerts for "casual fans'' however it is great for the concert atmosphere to have songs that they long to hear as well. Not an entire set list of course but certain songs. So in saying that, I think it is smart that she includes songs such as Like a Prayer and Vogue because they are just universally loved by people who may not be hardcore fans like us. She can also sing the songs you mentioned as well.

I hope not. LAP isn't such a bad staple to have in her 'must perform' list.

...and you know that the only song she'd replace it with would be La Isla Bonita.

Why would you wish us all such a fate? LOL

Dollhouse, I do know what you mean and without wanting to be rude, just don't agree. I know you are not a fan of Like a Prayer - which is fine as your personal opinion - but the reality is that it's one of her most iconic and biggest hits. I love that Madonna does not cater her concerts for "casual fans'' however it is great for the concert atmosphere to have songs that they long to hear as well. Not an entire set list of course but certain songs. So in saying that, I think it is smart that she includes songs such as Like a Prayer and Vogue because they are just universally loved by people who may not be hardcore fans like us. She can also sing the songs you mentioned as well.

YES!!

Songs like LAP, EY, Vogue, ITG, LAV she could do on every tour and I think the general public would always welcome it, only some diehard fans would ever complain about hearing those songs on every tour. All of those songs are a must IMO if she hits Australia on the next tour.

On the other hand, she could give Human Nature a rest in favor of another lesser known classic (Angel would be great!!).

I'm so jealous of everyone who is old enough to remember when this amazing album was released. I was a toddler when this came out but it was the first Madonna album I ever bought and it's what made me become a big fan of hers. I can't really say anything that hasn't been said about this masterpiece of an album but I'm really enjoying this thread.

I would just love for her to perform "Cherish" and "Oh Father" on her next tour.