UK CHART - THE SHOW IS OVER SAY GOODBYE!

horn

The public wants SUBSTANCE. You just divorced from the father of your son who you said you would be with forever, have you LEARNED anything to share with us? Have you plumbed emotional depths and found redemption and been INSPIRED by it? No? Ok, cheerleader chanting and Nicki Minaj it is then.

She probably has. But if she doesn't feel like sharing it with the world then that's ok, she is not obliged to dish her personal issues on her music. Of course i would rather hear her sing about her life experiences than telling us to dance our lives away. But if she doesn't want to then it's fine. She is a pop singer anyway. :|

This really reminds me of Janet's Discipline era and Kylie's Aphrodite era. After rocky patches, EMBRACED by the industry, getting 'hit' songs penned for them, working with all the in producers, wearing all the right things, getting all the right facelifts, but yet, the public just wasn't interested. And the same reason is getting used to explain all of them -these ladies are too old.

Are they too old?

Or are they just too old to be prancing around in bondage gear/hotpants/leopard print bras whilst singing about spanking/casual sex/LUV, when Adele has just hit the industry like a rotund h-bomb wearing high collared dresses and a nice manicure and singing about lost love. I mean do these people not GET how to make MONEY? :manson:

The public wants SUBSTANCE. You just divorced from the father of your son who you said you would be with forever, have you LEARNED anything to share with us? Have you plumbed emotional depths and found redemption and been INSPIRED by it? No? Ok, cheerleader chanting and Nicki Minaj it is then.

Madonna did a deep,introspective,personal album called 'American Life' and look what happened.The record flopped and everyone said she needs to get back to dance music again.And now that she's back to dance music with fun,catchy lyrics,people are saying that she needs to grow up and do "mature" music.She can't win either way.Nothing she does is gonna please everybody.

If she doesn't feel like sharing it with the world then that's ok, she is not obliged to dish her personal issues on her music. Of course i would rather hear her sing about her life experiences than telling us to dance our lives away. But if she doesn't want to then it's fine. She is a pop singer anyway. :|

I agree.I don't want a depressing album in which she sings about her divorce,broken promises and broken hearts.Let Adele do that kind of music!

And now that she's back to dance music with fun,catchy lyrics,people are saying that she needs to grow up and do "mature" music.

She just needs some GOOD music. That's all. Hung Up is not mature and it's great! The problem is not that she is doing dance music, it's that she is doing LOW QUALITY music. Not because it's dance, dance can be great just as much as mature music.

She just needs some GOOD music. That's all. Hung Up is not mature and it's great! The problem is not that she is doing dance music, it's that she is doing LOW QUALITY music. Not because it's dance, dance can be great just as much as mature music.

So,you've heard the new album already?? ;)

No i'm telling having HC in mind, Celebration, Revolver, GMAYL and the snippets of MDNA. :lol:

Oh stop it....HC had several quality songs,like "Miles Away","Devil","Give It 2 Me","Heartbeat".I don't think there's anything wrong with the music Madonna does these days.It's just that,at age 53,she faces obstacles in getting the same type of airplay and attention that young artists receive.

Oh stop it....HC had several quality songs,like "Miles Away","Devil","Give It 2 Me","Heartbeat".I don't think there's anything wrong with the music Madonna does these days.It's just that,at age 53,she faces obstacles in getting the same type of airplay and attention that young artists receive.

HC is good, but not as much as COAD. The later songs (Celebration, Revolver and i dare to say GMAYL) are really low in comparisson, not that they are terrible, but just doesn't have the quality some would expect of Madonna. They are ok for any other artist, but for Madonna we always expect something more even if it's dance music. But i'm ok with her doing dance, but better dance music.

Bingo!! Just because Adele is on top of the charts and highly sought out doesn't mean the whole music scene is looking for the same sort of demeanor in music. Certainly, her success will spawn off a lot of sound of likes, but she's not what is the norm in pop music right now. In fact, Adele herself has said she's shocked at the attention she's getting She doesn't consider her music to be what is the normal pop scene. And it isn't. Not only that, there are so many other artists and songs out there who is getting massive attention that sounds nothing like Adele.

Anyone saying "age" isn't a huge factor to why she's not getting radio exposure is being totally unrealistic. I'm not saying I like that our popular music scene is catered to youth, but it's been like that for decades. When Madonna was the hot young act, there were very few older acts still trying to find success again. Some succeeded... some didn't. But very few 50 year old pop acts get any exposure on radio and has been like that for a very long time.

Madonna did a deep,introspective,personal album called 'American Life' and look what happened.The record flopped and everyone said she needs to get back to dance music again.And now that she's back to dance music with fun,catchy lyrics,people are saying that she needs to grow up and do "mature" music.She can't win either way.Nothing she does is gonna please everybody.

I don't think AL comes across as a personal album. Lyrically I find it underwhelming and dumb in places.

But on personal albums such as LAP, ROL (and Erotica to an extent) the songs can be magic - because those were just great tunes solidly produced. AL was a mess of an album with few radio friendly tracks. It didn't fail becasue it was personal, it failed because it was dumb and had an awful lead single. I think the press releases which described AL as 'her most personal album yet' were ridiculously inacurate.

Lyrics don't have to be personal to make a song succesful. But it helps if they are at least sensible and not random fluff like the lines to GMAYL which have little strategy to them.

I don't think AL comes across as a personal album. Lyrically I find it underwhelming and dumb in places.

But on personal albums such as LAP, ROL (and Erotica to an extent) the songs can be magic - because those were just great tunes solidly produced. AL was a mess of an album with few radio friendly tracks. It didn't fail becasue it was personal, it failed because it was dumb and had an awful lead single. I think the press releases which described AL as 'her most personal album yet' were ridiculously inacurate.

Lyrics don't have to be personal to make a song succesful. But it helps if they are at least sensible and not random fluff like the lines to GMAYL which have little strategy to them.

Agreed. The production was also too clinical overall. There are some great songs on AL but it's not a relaxing listen.

Leave that to Adele. Madonna can bitch about life when she's no 80 and having a hip replacement or when she's no longer relevant.

Yeah like Kelly Minong's X album.

This really reminds me of Janet's Discipline era and Kylie's Aphrodite era. After rocky patches, EMBRACED by the industry, getting 'hit' songs penned for them, working with all the in producers, wearing all the right things, getting all the right facelifts, but yet, the public just wasn't interested. And the same reason is getting used to explain all of them -these ladies are too old.

Are they too old?

Or are they just too old to be prancing around in bondage gear/hotpants/leopard print bras whilst singing about spanking/casual sex/LUV, when Adele has just hit the industry like a rotund h-bomb wearing high collared dresses and a nice manicure and singing about lost love. I mean do these people not GET how to make MONEY? :manson:

You looked at the tracklist for MDNA lately? Doesn't exactly sound like a cutesy fun Kylie album to me...

Maybe shed rather not try to get a hit out of a divorce like Katy Perry just did? After all, the divorce album (LAP) relegated those personal tracks to album tracks. Maybe she didn't feel like vomiting up her depression for the world to feast on for the first 3 singles?

I think that Madonna expected a VERY big hit with GMAYL, because this new song is not a bombastic "first single" at all. And that robotic voice doesn't help at all. I didn't like GMAYL much, but at least it was fun and tongue in cheek and has that Madonna feeling. This new song may have much more success (I really hope) but it's so generic and Rihannesque. It's Getta galore!

I know that Celebration wasn't very loved by fans, but i find that song a zillion times better than this GGW.

I think that Madonna expected a VERY big hit with GMAYL, because this new song is not a bombastic "first single" at all. And that robotic voice doesn't help at all. I didn't like GMAYL much, but at least it was fun and tongue in cheek and has that Madonna feeling. This new song may have much more success (I really hope) but it's so generic and Rihannesque. It's Getta galore!

I know that Celebration wasn't very loved by fans, but i find that song a zillion times better than this GGW.

THIS.

Last week's UK sales for Give Me All Your Luvin' at 93 (2,956 sales).

Dire.

For Madonna in the UK, things are dire.

Lead single off her first album in 4 years charts 37 then 51 and now 93!

Even flop singles by the likes of Nicola Roberts have done better.

The problem for Madonna is that her work is just getting ignored by the broadcast media. Whether you like Radio 1 or not, in the UK it is IMPORTANT and for whatever reason, since Celebration they've decided Madonna's not for them. To make matters worse, Radio 2 aren't even bothering with GMAYL either (they did playlist Celebration)!!

So GMAYL is just completely not getting on radio here. Therefore it's not being heard in cars, shops, hairdressers, on building sites etc. etc. No-one is getting to hear the song and since she's not been doing any promo stuff or TV shows (Superbowl aired in the middle of the night here and so no-one saw it) - her work is just getting lost.

I have a very strong feeling same will happen with GGW.

Radio 1 won't playlist that one at all and I fail to see how it will therefore get noticed.

For someone who's been a fan since the 80s, it's very very strange seeing this situation unfold!

For Madonna in the UK, things are dire.

Lead single off her first album in 4 years charts 37 then 51 and now 93!

Even flop singles by the likes of Nicola Roberts have done better.

The problem for Madonna is that her work is just getting ignored by the broadcast media. Whether you like Radio 1 or not, in the UK it is IMPORTANT and for whatever reason, since Celebration they've decided Madonna's not for them. To make matters worse, Radio 2 aren't even bothering with GMAYL either (they did playlist Celebration)!!

So GMAYL is just completely not getting on radio here. Therefore it's not being heard in cars, shops, hairdressers, on building sites etc. etc. No-one is getting to hear the song and since she's not been doing any promo stuff or TV shows (Superbowl aired in the middle of the night here and so no-one saw it) - her work is just getting lost.

I have a very strong feeling same will happen with GGW.

Radio 1 won't playlist that one at all and I fail to see how it will therefore get noticed.

For someone who's been a fan since the 80s, it's very very strange seeing this situation unfold!

I agree. People keep posting that we're making excuses for GMAYL being poor but it's a good pop song and would have performed better with more support. It all started at Miles Away. It got little radio play. Then Radio 1 didn't play Celebration until it charted highly. Revolver got no support. Radio 1 now say they won't play Madonna and I can see why. There are too many other female artists much younger, hipper and more relevant to their core audience who are delivering the same sort of songs. As for Radio 2, we'll have to see if they support it but I doubt it. I heard GMAYL once.

So after years of key radio support, things have ground to a halt and it's quite a shock. She doesn't seem to fit in anywhere. Too old for Radio 1, too poppy for Radio 2. Will she start doing TV promo again like the Lottery and X-Factor?

I agree. People keep posting that we're making excuses for GMAYL being poor but it's a good pop song and would have performed better with more support. It all started at Miles Away. It got little radio play. Then Radio 1 didn't play Celebration until it charted highly. Revolver got no support. Radio 1 now say they won't play Madonna and I can see why. There are too many other female artists much younger, hipper and more relevant to their core audience who are delivering the same sort of songs. As for Radio 2, we'll have to see if they support it but I doubt it. I heard GMAYL.

So after years of key radio support, things have ground to a halt and it's quite a shock. She doesn't seem to fit in anywhere. Too old for Radio 1, too poppy for Radio 2. Will she start doing TV promo again like the Lottery and X-Factor?

That's the problem yeah - it's a real tough one for her.

I really like GMAYL and now also GGW - but they're not earth-shatteringly good - they're just good catchy pop songs.

I DJ in nightclubs and people aren't asking for Madonna and if I play a GMAYL remix the reaction is just OK. When I play "Titanium" or "We Found Love" or "Domino" the place goes nuts.

I felt Madonna needed to come back with some totally mindblowing stuff in order to matter. Fact is her new songs are just almost as good as stuff by Rihanna, Jessie J, Pixie Lott, etc. etc.

When I first heard GMAYL I remember I thought "if that were Pixie Lott's new single I'd say it's not as good as her last one". That is NOT a compliment - but GMAYL and GGW are in the same vein as pop songs from all those younger hit-single girls, yet not any better! "We Found Love" totally wipes the floor with GMAYL and GGW for instance.

Madonna putting out decent dance-pop songs just isn't good enough any more - and the way things are going for her here, it's gonna dawn on her pretty soon.

yeah, like that.

That's the problem yeah - it's a real tough one for her.

I really like GMAYL and now also GGW - but they're not earth-shatteringly good - they're just good catchy pop songs.

I DJ in nightclubs and people aren't asking for Madonna and if I play a GMAYL remix the reaction is just OK. When I play "Titanium" or "We Found Love" or "Domino" the place goes nuts.

I felt Madonna needed to come back with some totally mindblowing stuff in order to matter. Fact is her new songs are just almost as good ]as stuff by Rihanna, Jessie J, Pixie Lott, etc. etc.

When I first heard GMAYL I remember I thought "if that were Pixie Lott's new single I'd say it's not as good as her last one". That is NOT a compliment - but GMAYL and GGW are in the same vein as pop songs from all those younger hit-single girls, yet not any better! "We Found Love" totally wipes the floor with GMAYL and GGW for instance.

Madonna putting out decent dance-pop songs just isn't good enough any more - and the way things are going for her here, it's gonna dawn on her pretty soon.

I agree.

Play both songs on a piano.

I'm sorry but the Celebration remix is WAY better than GGW. And it's a song from 2009. Now she's making the same song all over again, just with worse lyrics and dead robotic vocals. Wow.

LUV was way better, at least it sounded fresh.

I'm sorry but the Celebration remix is WAY better than GGW. And it's a song from 2009. Now she's making the same song all over again, just with worse lyrics and dead robotic vocals. Wow.

LUV was way better, at least it sounded fresh.

To me, the Benassi remix and GGW sounds very similar. Benassi pressing one night repeatedly. I listened to one of his remixes for Flo + the Machine. It pretty much sounded the same. Like Guetta who starts many of his songs with a similar guitar riff, Benassi seems a one trick pony. Any word on remixers?

That's expected since she has been working with DJs for over a decade now.

Stuart Price is an exception even though you can feel his DJ core in the songs he produced but when she works with DJs like Benassi or Oakenfold you can totally tell. The sound is very remixed orientaded.