Madonna Super Bowl thread continued

Guest groovyguy

Well, "Leebert", it's difficult to take you seriously when you have the Titanic film poster as your avatar.

What can I say, I'm a sucker for sinking ships! That said, what my taste in movies has to do with my ability to have an opinion on Madonna is beyond me but whatever floats your boat (pun intended!). :angel:

Guest bluejean

I don't have an issue with WHAT she wears but WHY she feels she needs to wear it.

Maybe she wants to wear that (if she even is.) It's a sporting event and her song has a cheerleading theme. It's a tad predictable imo, that's my only objection, but I have no issue with Madonna dressing young and/or sexy. I used to think it was inappropriate and she should act her age but Madonna herself has changed my mind about that. Quotes like this for example....

"Not only does society suffer from racism and sexism but it also suffers from ageism. Once you reach a certain age you're not allowed to be adventurous, you're not allowed to be sexual. I mean, is there a rule? Are you supposed to just die?"

Guest bluejean

What can I say, I'm a sucker for sinking ships! That said, what my taste in movies has to do with my ability to have an opinion on Madonna is beyond me but whatever floats your boat (pun intended!). :angel:

:lol:

Maybe she wants to wear that (if she even is.) It's a sporting event and her song has a cheerleading theme. It's a tad predictable imo, that's my only objection, but I have no issue with Madonna dressing young and/or sexy. I used to think it was inappropriate and she should act her age but Madonna herself has changed my mind about that. Quotes like this for example....

I agree with you, really I do, I couldn't care what she wears or how young her fella is, but unfortunately we live in a society that isn't always as open minded and if she dresses like a highschool cheerleader, she will be ridiculed. Now..if Madonna genuinely didn't care what people think then I wouldn't have an issue, I'd say fair do love, good on you! But the simple truth is she's been despearately trying to appeal to a younger audience for the last few years so she obviously does care. Without being inside her head we can't really be sure if she dresses the way she does because she wants to or if she feels she has to in order to remain relevant and succesful within the 'pop' world, therefore reinforcing the built in agesism this society displays by suggesting that youth is desirable and ageing is repulsive.

Guest groovyguy

I agree with you, really I do, I couldn't care what she wears or how young her fella is, but unfortunately we live in a society that isn't always as open minded and if she dresses like a highschool cheerleader, she will be ridiculed. Now..if Madonna genuinely didn't care what people think then I wouldn't have an issue, I'd say fair do love, good on you! But the simple truth is she's been despearately trying to appeal to a younger audience for the last few years so she obviously does care. Without being inside her head we can't really be sure if she dresses the way she does because she wants to or if she feels she has to in order to remain relevant and succesful within the 'pop' world, therefore reinforcing the built in agesism this society displays by suggesting that youth is desirable and ageing is repulsive.

Sounds like you have an issue with how she dresses. Do tell how she should dress to show that aging is desirable and not repulsive.

Sounds like you have an issue with how she dresses. Do tell how she should dress to show that aging is desirable and not repulsive.

Well not dressing like a 15 year old school girl would be a good start. :thumbsup:

Guest bluejean

I don't agree. Firstly, as much as Madonna does things to try and stay "relevant" I think she's made her points of view on the matter abundantly clear which indicates that a big part of what she is doing is a finger up at ageism. The notion that she's displaying herself as a sex object to be popular makes no sense. It's more about pushing boundaries, as it has always been with her. If she stops pushing boundaries and starts conforming, that's when she'll become irrelevant. There is no way she's reinforcing ageism, she's just proving that it exists by evoking a response.

Guest groovyguy

I don't agree. Firstly, as much as Madonna does things to try and stay "relevant" I think she's made her points of view on the matter abundantly clear which indicates that a big part of what she is doing is a finger up at ageism. The notion that she's displaying herself as a sex object to be popular makes no sense. It's more about pushing boundaries, as it has always been with her. If she stops pushing boundaries and starts conforming, that's when she'll become irrelevant. There is no way she's reinforcing ageism, she's just proving that it exists by evoking a response.

Agree. And right now, it's pretty clear that she's fighting ageism, and once again opening the path for the younger pop female stars.

Madonna

"Not only does society suffer from racism and sexism, it also suffers from ageism. Once you reach a certain age you're not allowed to be adventurous, you're not allowed to be sexual. I mean, is there a rule? Are you supposed to just die? I've never been a conformist."

Guest groovyguy

From Lighthouse (Madonnatribe Forum):

I just got the bulletin from The AP Wire and i did sign up for live coverage for us all to enjoy here, as this event is not broadcast on TV.

The AP says they'll have writers, photographers and video from the event. I signed up for all three.

Images will be delivered in real time.

Madonna will preview what's coming up in her show and take questions.

Final date and time is TBA, for now it looks like to be on Friday, Feb. 3rd.

Actually, you make a good point! It's not that I have a problem with the way she dresses, and let's remember I was only referring to the cheerleading outfit that she MIGHT be wearing, it's that I know what's going to come if she does.

Guest groovyguy

Actually, you make a good point! It's not that I have a problem with the way she dresses, and let's remember I was only referring to the cheerleading outfit that she MIGHT be wearing, it's that I know what's going to come if she does.

Saying "but by God, if I so much as get a whiff or a cheerleading outfit on her I will throw something at the TV" sounds like you're the first person to have an issue if she does. That actually sounds ageist. She's 53 and she shouldn't wear a cheerleader outfit. If she does, I'll throw something at the TV.

Guest bluejean

Well it's the same as people worrying about her being critisised for her singing abilities. She's never done a major event and being slated for it because she always brings it with a great performance. Yes there will be haters saying negative things, but I can't imagine the overall buzz being negative. Everything about it we've heard so far sounds like the biggest one off performance she's ever done.

Guest bluejean

Saying "but by God, if I so much as get a whiff or a cheerleading outfit on her I will throw something at the TV" sounds like you're the first person to have an issue if she does. That actually sounds ageist. She's 53 and she shouldn't wear a cheerleader outfit. If she does, I'll throw something at the TV.

Perhaps he doesn't want Madonna to be ridiculed. Meanwhile Madonna herself continues not caring for the 30th year in a row :lol:

I'd be surprised if she didn't sing live (at least for most of it)- I'm sure she wouldn't want to give Sir Elton much ammo. :vogue: She's going to have a lot of dancers, whatnot, who probably will do much of the dancing in and of itself. She may use prerecorded music, though, unless she just has a couple of basic band members up there.

Then again, it's usually the non-spectacle performers who sing live, so who knows. I just don't think M would want to have a lip-synch cloud hanging over her performance.

I'd be surprised if she didn't sing live (at least for most of it)- I'm sure she wouldn't want to give Sir Elton much ammo. :vogue: She's going to have a lot of dancers, whatnot, who probably will do much of the dancing in and of itself. She may use prerecorded music, though, unless she just has a couple of basic band members up there.

Then again, it's usually the non-spectacle performers who sing live, so who knows. I just don't think M would want to have a lip-synch cloud hanging over her performance.

Brian Frasier-Moore (Drummer from S&S) posted on his Facebook that he was part of the show. Seems like she's gonna use her tour band.

Guest groovyguy

Brian Frasier-Moore (Drummer from S&S) posted on his Facebook that he was part of the show. Seems like she's gonna use her tour band.

Monte Pittman too.

I really like that Hard Candy wrestling look except for her hair. Her hair ruins what could have otherwise been a photo I'd love.

IT IS NOT WRESTLING!!!!!!!!!!!!1111 IT IS BOXING!!!!!

did you not see S&S :hurt:

oh my bad... it's just that the S&S DVD audio is quite so polished it sounded pre-recorded... I hope she sounds a little like that live at the Superbowl...

IT IS NOT WRESTLING!!!!!!!!!!!!1111 IT IS BOXING!!!!!

LMAO true. I don't know why I put wrestling.

The only reason I wouldn't want Madonna in a cheerleading outfit is because they're ugly and tacky. I would love for her to wear a look that will become iconic, not something that already has a sort of iconography to it. Like the Hung Up leotard.

Leotards already had iconography to them. Fame, flashdance, the seventies etc. Madonna is an expert with postmodern references. She even managed to reference herself several times. Her postmodern referencing of MTV vma 1984 at the 2003 vmas was pure genius. I get annoyed with that wrestling thing as a common misconception Hipster. No offense. :inlove: