Sticky & Sweet DVD/CD, Blu-Ray

Guest Danny86

Madonna negotiated a new contract with Warners early this decade. The only details released at the time were that she was "really happy" with the terms. There was nothing more mentioned about her Warners contract until the Live Nation deal. It's highly unlikely that the contract she signed in 1992 was still in force in 2008 (i.e. that HC was released under the same contract as "Erotica").

yikes... you mean the $60M contract making the rounds back in 1992 runs through 16 years?

She was such a bargain...

Guest boytoyville

^ No thats wrong.

Anyways. It's great that we are getting a live CD with it as well. How can anyone complain about that. I love the other live releases, I just wish they were complete and had all live songs and interludes. The music in her tours is usually totally redone so it's so nice to have these polished live versions. Like Warners for this. Her interludes are also masterful. So excited!

Guest Danny86

*sigh*

@guyoseary Sticky & Sweet Tour dvd is going to edit in december, that is true??

about 7 hours ago from web

@madonnateamo it will not be ready by then.. We are working on finishing it.. We will have more info soon on Madonna.com.. Stay tuned..

about 7 hours ago from web in reply to madonnateamo

:thumbsdown:

^ No thats wrong.

I hate to belabor a side argument but...

Copyright The Washington Post Company Apr 21, 1992

Time Warner Inc. and Madonna yesterday announced a new multimedia contract that could be worth as much as $60 million to the Material Girl. That makes it one of the most lucrative deals ever negotiated by a pop entertainer, possibly topping the $50 million-plus agreement Michael Jackson reportedly negotiated last year with Sony Corp.

The communications giant and Madonna have teamed up to form Maverick, an entertainment company to be run by the 33-year-old pop icon and her longtime manager, Freddy DeMann. Maverick will consist of a record company and music publishing company and will also have television, film, merchandising and book publishing divisions.

Terms of the deal were not announced, but Madonna's existing contract with Sire Records (a label owned by Warner Bros.) ran for three more albums, and reportedly the new agreement extends that to seven albums. It also reportedly ups the per-album advance from $3 million to $5 million, and increases Madonna's royalty rate from 18 percent to 20 percent (the same as Jackson's and tops in the music business). In addition, Madonna will receive a multi-million-dollar video budget for each album.

An industry source said Time Warner had requested that Madonna submit to an AIDS test before signing the contract. Responding to a Washington Post reporter's inquiry, Madonna replied through a spokesman: "You're confused. I had to take an IQ test."

Madonna's new album, scheduled for a fall release and rumored to be a return to the dance music that made her a superstar, will be on her new label, Maverick/Sire, as will all future releases. As for the new label, the Los Angeles Times has reported that Time Warner will commit between $2 million and $5 million a year, with Madonna given full authority to sign new artists "no questions asked." The label will have offices in Los Angeles, New York and London.

One act on her wish list apparently got away before the deal was announced. L.A. female grunge band Hole was courted by Madonna but signed with the Geffen label (lead singer Courtney Love recently married Kurt Cobain, lead singer of Nirvana, which also records on Geffen).

Madonna's new deal will find her collaborating with several other Time Warner companies, including HBO (where her "Blond Ambition" concert was the highest rated entertainment event in cable television history) and Warner Books, where she may have her own imprint and where the first publication is likely to increase her legend as a pop provocateur: It's to be a coffee-table book featuring Madonna's erotic fantasies, photographed by Steven Meisel.

Also, scanned from Billboard's May 1992 report on the contract:

billb.jpg

From this we can infer that she most likely had a deal for 7 studio albums and that the deal was extendable beyond 7 years - so it could've feasibly lasted through Hard Candy. I really don't think Time Warner expected her to deliver 1 album every year for seven years and nor did she.

If anyone has hard details from actual news sources about the renegotiation that happened at the beginning of this decade, please share them. I still say she was operating under her contract from 1992. I am not saying it wasn't modified or perhaps additional advances were renegotiated, but from information that has leaked to legitimate news sources, I think it fits.

@madonnateamo it will not be ready by then.. We are working on finishing it.. We will have more info soon on Madonna.com.. Stay tuned..

Didn't he tell everyone who asked on tour this summer, "The DVD is in the can." Meaning it was long since done? I don't get these people.

Hmm, hopefully they are working on incorporating the 2009 changes into the final product...

God, we can only hope.

Guest Danny86

Thanks for the cool info Nightshade, very interesting! I guess the 2001 negotiations might have been about the royalties or compilations then.

And yeah, Guy said the Israel show could not be added to the DVD because when it was filmed the DVD was already finished and produced... Not that it's entirely impossible that they are adding the bonus footage now, but I say he's just trying to make excuses and brush off the fans once in a while. :p

Not all too picky on when it's released- it means I don't have to spend that much more money right now.

Would be more excitred if it were BA or re-Invention that actually got a firm release date.

Okay I really dont mean to sound like an ingrate or anything since I AM grateful that she is releasing this, but why does she think all the latest shows are worthy of an accompanying CD? Is it contractual? Is it a creative decision?

They do this so the release gets stuck on CD racks rather than the nearly non-existant music DVD section of retailers.

Thanks for the cool info Nightshade, very interesting! I guess the 2001 negotiations might have been about the royalties or compilations then.

And yeah, Guy said the Israel show could not be added to the DVD because when it was filmed the DVD was already finished and produced... Not that it's entirely impossible that they are adding the bonus footage now, but I say he's just trying to make excuses and brush off the fans once in a while. :p

Wait, so one of the Israel shows was taped??

I really don't see why this thing is taking so long.The show has already been shown on TV! All they have to do is package it up on a DVD.As for the live CD,that shouldn't take too much time to compile,either.It's November 4th.....there is no reason why this thing can't be in stores by mid-December.They could take advantage of the holiday shopping season.

Guest Danny86

^Most likely some marketing decisions, like it was with CT, they are afraid it gets lost in the Xmas shuffle or something since it won't be promoted with fanfares.

And yes Abraham, Guy said Israel was filmed, but I think it was not filmed the same way as Buenos Aires, no huge cameras etc.

Guest gloriesbarcelona

Oh well... That's my christmas present gone then...

Terms of the deal were not announced, but Madonna's existing contract with Sire Records (a label owned by Warner Bros.) ran for three more albums, and reportedly the new agreement extends that to seven albums. It also reportedly ups the per-album advance from $3 million to $5 million, and increases Madonna's royalty rate from 18 percent to 20 percent (the same as Jackson's and tops in the music business). In addition, Madonna will receive a multi-million-dollar video budget for each album.

I'm assuming that "multi-million-dollar video budget" must have ran dry shortly after the Music album was released....

• 2 weeks later...

DVD is sooooooo 90s :thumbsdown:

I want this in BLU-RAY!

According to Derek78 at the MTRIBE FORUM:

January 26th 2010.

It came up on our nationally purchased list for HMV Canada this past week. Something that we use to plan upcoming releases. It's 99% confirmed for this date based on previous listings with other artists. Although it can be bumped...

Very happy to see a Blu-ray release!

Guest Xanthium

I might get the Blu-Ray edition since I have a PS3. I've never bought Blu-Ray before but since this is a concert it's probably worth it.

oh no, what magic or wisdom do they see in releasing concert CD/DVDs every last week of January... same thing happened to TCT

The only thing I can think of is that there is less chart competition. However, I don't even think Madonna cares about chart position so who knows? I suppose it could generate more attention on its own than have to fight for shelf space during the holiday season? :confused:

Guest nothingfails0603

let's hope they release it in January, any longer and it's going the way of RIT.

I don't see what the delay and hold-up is... this was filmed over a year ago and they got Beyonce and Killers concert releases out so fast.

let's hope they release it in January, any longer and it's going the way of RIT.

I don't see what the delay and hold-up is... this was filmed over a year ago and they got Beyonce and Killers concert releases out so fast.

I have to agree. It's not like they are adding any new footage (unless Guy wasn't truthful or what not). Even still, there's been enough time to put it together and have it out for the Holiday season. And why not take advantage of bigger sales that way? Makes no sense to wait until next year unless it's just a matter of gaining some chart success in the new year. But these releases don't sell as much as the studio albums.

He did say the DVD was in the can so hopefully they are adding the new material as extras.

In the can? As long as it's not the garbage can lmao.

I am so pissing myself to get this. I'm literally going to have an orgasm in the music store when I pick it up. I hope it comes out in January! I love S&S so much, it's at least tied with BA for me. I wish we could have a definite date but time will tell.

Guest Danny86

No it's not. The RIT was always forced to trail behind IMGTTYAS, but there's no standalone S&ST documentary.

Currently "people with sources" did say January, February and even March, so we'll see what happens.