WHO chief addresses death threats, racist insults: ‘I don’t give a damn’

horn

WHO chief addresses death threats, racist insults: ‘I don’t give a damn’
PUBLISHED WED, APR 8 202012:37 PM EDTUPDATED THU, APR 9 20209:59 AM EDT | William Feuer

The leader of the World Health Organization, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, said he has received death threats and racist insults while running the global efforts to fight the coronavirus pandemic.
Tedros was responding to a question about whether criticism from world leaders in the midst of a global pandemic makes it more difficult for the Ethiopian leader of the WHO to operate.

The head of the World Health Organization, Ethiopian microbiologist Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, said he has received death threats and racist insults while running the global efforts to fight the coronavirus pandemic.

“I can tell you personal attacks that have been going on for more than two, three months. Abuses, or racist comments, giving me names, black or Negro. I’m proud of being black, proud of being Negro,” he told reporters on a conference call from the organization’s Geneva headquarters on Wednesday. “I don’t care, to be honest ... even death threats. I don’t give a damn.”

Tedros was responding to a question about whether criticism from world leaders such as President Donald Trump in the midst of a global pandemic makes it more difficult to operate the WHO. Tedros commented specifically on insults that he said came from Taiwan.

“Three months ago, this attack came from Taiwan. We need to be honest. I will be straight today. From Taiwan,” he said. “And Taiwan, the Foreign Ministry also, they know the campaign. They didn’t disassociate themselves. They even started criticizing me in the middle of all that insult and slur, but I didn’t care.”

Taiwan, which is not a member of the United Nations, the governing body of the WHO, responded to Tedros’ comments, calling them “baseless” and demanding an apology. Taiwan’s President Tsai Ing-wen added on Facebook that “Taiwan has always opposed all forms of discrimination.” She also invited Tedros to visit Taiwan. 

“Dr. Tedros’s unwarranted charges, made without any attempt at verification, are contrary to the facts and have caused serious damage to the government and people of Taiwan,” Taiwan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a statement. “Such slander is irresponsible, and the government of Taiwan demands that the Director-General immediately correct his trumped-up claims, issue a clarification, and apologize to the people of Taiwan.”

Tedros also referenced remarks made by scientists on French TV that Tedros had condemned on Monday as artifacts of a “colonial mentality.” The scientists were discussing the potential of moving a vaccine trial in Europe and Australia to Africa, according to the BBC. Tedros said Wednesday that the remarks insulted “the whole black community.”

Tedros pleaded for world leaders and politicians to put aside differences and focus on the fight against the pandemic, which has now infected more than 1,452,378 people around the world and killed at least 83,615, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University. 

“Please quarantine COVID politics. That’s what we want. We don’t care about personal attacks,” he said. “We care about the life passing every single minute unnecessarily because we couldn’t unite to fight this virus.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/08/who-chief-addresses-death-threats-racist-insults-i-dont-give-a-damn.html

10 hours ago, horn said:

Taiwan is a US minion.

Since Dumpster has been condemning Tedros for the COVID-19 infection in the US, Taiwan needs to show some form of "support" for Dumpster.

One of the many

Italy and Germany included

Too bad about the racist attacks

That is beyond repulsive

However judging him and the WHO work

They should be talking to scientists

Not give space and attention to Germanotta

Also, the WHO has yet to explain why they're running a Biosafety Level 4 Laboratory (maximum level of biological hazard) together with the Chinese government on Chinese soil, regardless of the origins of this virus. It just feels weird 

They had already warned them about the COVID-19 and they have 2 months grace period to prevent it but they did not.

They are doing what Dumpster is doing i.e. blaming others for their own fault.

The WHO is trying to turn tables but they'll be seriously investigated once this is a bit more clear. They've been doing so many things sooooo wrong. And stupid Gaga is taking part of the pantomime.

10 hours ago, karbatal said:

The WHO is trying to turn tables but they'll be seriously investigated once this is a bit more clear. They've been doing so many things sooooo wrong. And stupid Gaga is taking part of the pantomime.

You sounds like Dumpster.

The virus started in December.

It's a new virus and no one knows the behaviour of such virus and it takes time to evaluate and release findings.

The world was alerted and most of the East Asian & Southeast Asian have started to filter incoming visitors.

The non-Asian countries leaders (including SPAIN) did not take it seriously 'cos they think it's a CHINESE and/or ASIAN virus and wasted the 2 months grace period for them to stop the virus from entering.

You should blame your government instead.

3 minutes ago, horn said:

You sounds like Dumpster.

The virus started in December.

It's a new virus and no one knows the behaviour of such virus and it takes time to evaluate and release findings.

The world was alerted and most of the East Asian & Southeast Asian have started to filter incoming visitors.

The non-Asian countries leaders (including SPAIN) did not take it seriously 'cos they think it's a CHINESE and/or ASIAN virus and wasted the 2 months grace period for them to stop the virus from entering.

You should blame your government instead.

Honey, my government followed ALL of WHO advices and that's the reason we reacted too late. 

Before you say stupid things try to inform yourself.

1 minute ago, karbatal said:

Honey, my government followed ALL of WHO advices and that's the reason we reacted too late. 

Before you say stupid things try to inform yourself.

It's funny that the same advice given by WHO, my country's infection cases are 10 times lower than yours.

My country has been hit hard by SARS back in 2003 and we didn't act fast like what Spain government facing COVID-19 back in January 2020. So when COVID-19 starts, my government immobilizes all emergency action plan to deal with it since January even though COVID-19 had not spreaded like wild fire back then.

Did your government follow WHO advice FULLY? that's the question you need to ask your government. What are they doing back in January?

3 minutes ago, horn said:

It's funny that the same advice given by WHO, my country's infection cases are 10 times lower than yours.

My country has been hit hard by SARS back in 2003 and we didn't act fast like what Spain government facing COVID-19 back in January 2020. So when COVID-19 starts, my government immobilizes all emergency action plan to deal with it since January even though COVID-19 had not spreaded like wild fire back then.

Did your government follow WHO advice FULLY? that's the question you need to ask your government. What are they doing back in January?

We were living our lives like the rest of the EU because the WHO didn't considered the situation an international emergency (not a pandemic) until the 30th of January 🙄

Can we please STOP with the nonsense? 

WHO declares the emergency on 30 January and and said there was no reason to limit trade or travel to China. :manson:

The first death outside of China was 2nd February. 

The name Covid 19'was coined by WHO on 11 February

On 14 February there's the first death in the EU. A tourist in France. The most affected counties in the EU now are the ones with more tourism in the world: Italy, Spain and France. 

February 21 start the rapid spreading in North Italy. 

11 March. The WHO declares a pandemic. 

13 March. Spain starts the most rigid measures of lockdown in the EU. 

3 minutes ago, karbatal said:

We were living our lives like the rest of the EU because the WHO didn't considered the situation an international emergency (not a pandemic) until the 30th of January 🙄

Like I had mentioned earlier, no one knows how lethal such virus would be at the beginning stage but my country government takes no chances.

1 minute ago, horn said:

Like I had mentioned earlier, no one knows how lethal such virus would be at the beginning stage but my country government takes no chances.

Your government maybe had more experience in viral situations. The last time the EU had something like this was 100 years ago, so we followed what the WHO said

1 hour ago, horn said:

My country started airport temp screening on the 3rd week of January.

My country didn't close the border before very late in March and still, there is not too many case here and the death rate is even lower.

We all know it's way more complicated than that.