BREXIT vote aftermath

Guest Rachelle of London

It's been amazing since Brexit, we've had a fabulous heat wave.

It's all been caused by the nuclear war that would happen if we leave EU duh.

Guest Mauro

Theresa May ‘to further scrutinise student visas’ in immigration crackdown

Prime Minister reportedly sees tougher regulation on universities as way of reducing net migration

theresa-may.jpg

As Home Secretary Ms May attempted to limit the number of visas for students AFP/Getty

Theresa May is set to scrutinise the number of student visas being granted to UK university applicants in a fresh attempt to reduce immigration.

The Prime Minister is reportedly preparing her new government to crack down on higher education institutions, claiming they have become an easy route into Britain for economic migrants.

Government sources have said the Home Office and Department for Education will examine the student visa regime to see where criteria can be tightened, according to The Telegraph.

As Home Secretary, Ms May attempted to limit the number of visas for students coming to study on further education courses.

In a confidential letter to other ministers, she also argued universities should "develop sustainable funding models that are not so dependent on international students".

But she could have wrongly deported up to 50,000 international students after an English test cheating scam at one school was used to incriminate all who had sat the test.

The Upper Tribunal (Asylum and Immigration) ruled in March the then Home Secretary’s evidence suffered from “multiple frailties and shortcomings”.

Mostafa Rajaai, International Officer for the National Union of Students, told The Independent: "Thanks to Theresa May's approach to international students while she was in charge of the Home Office, we have witnessed, for the first time in 30 years, a drop in the number of international students coming to the UK. This is while the number of internationally mobile students has been rising year on year.

"While the inquiry into May's actions in response to the 'ETS scandal' is ongoing, she is preparing to devastate more lives by raising feelings of suspicion and distrust.

"As it stands, the British student visa regime is one of the toughest and least welcoming in the world. By tightening it further, the Higher Education sector will lose out on hundreds of thousands of international students choosing other countries over the UK."

Among the actions being considered are preventing universities from marketing their courses as opportunities for students to work in Britain, tighter controls on so-called “Mickey Mouse” degrees at poor performing universities and further protocols to ensure foreign students return home after finishing their studies.

Ms May last week reaffirmed her target of reducing “net migration” to below 100,000, a goal that David Cameron roundly failed to achieve.

long_term_migration_to_the_uk_thousands_

As Chancellor, George Osborne and officials in the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills tried to resist her efforts because they viewed international students as beneficial to the economy and for universities, given their higher rate of tuition fees, calling for students to be removed from official immigration statistics.

When she became Prime Minister, Ms May sacked Mr Osborne and closed BIS, moving universities under the remit of a revamped Department for Education.

The economy would gain £1 billion from the extra 55,000 foreign students would be coming to Britain every year, according a government report.

The Home Office has estimated one in five foreign students overstays their visa.

Number 10 told The Independent it had no comment at present.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/theresa-may-immigration-student-visas-brexit-uk-degrees-foreign-students-a7153246.html

ok, so the UK is going to control the borders (more),they are going to send back a lot of people that work/study /live in the UK and are foreigners...but do they expect to live as theyw ere living in countries that were in the european union? Im thinking especifically about spain now, because I don´t know about ther countries:how many british people live here? especially, how many ertired people have a second house in here? how many use hour hospitals? (I´m ok with them using the universal healthcare, by the way)

I don´t, it seems the UK wants to get rid off a lot of people, but they are not foreseing that other countries may not be happy with their behaviour,and may start doing similar things to the britsih in the lands...

Guest Rachelle of London

There's 1 million Brits in Spain alone. Clogging up poor Spain and living happily off the Spanish system.

Whilst everyone was concentrating on the immigration status of Europeans the government was planning this. David Cameron already said he was going to get rid of 600,000 non EU migrants and revoke student visas.

It's typical British mindset for them to be in other nations and expect to have everything but god forbid others want to live here. It reminds me of this comedian whos of Nigerian descent but born in London and he said the first time he went to Nigeria he was shocked at the amount of British (English) people living there like kings and queens. So the next time a racist tells him to go back to Africa he can tell them the same :lmao:

A few years ago they stopped visa applications from people from the West Indies. No one cared. They've restricted nurses coming from Asia. No one cared. Theyre even introducing a limit that foreigners will have to earn over £35,000 in order to stay in the UK.

I hate the world at the moment.

yes, it´s not

I hate the world at the moment.

yes, we are not living the best of the moments. Actually, it seems it´s the beginning of a worse era, but...

and it will be interesting to see what happens with the status of the british that live here. I guess something will change for them, but who knows...

Guest Rachelle of London

I don't get it. I have always thought foreign students must pay pretty hefty fees to study at UK universities and colleges? And students spend money on living there. I don't think they live off the social system. They add to the system. Why do they want to rid of them?

Foreign students pay thousands! There's no limit on fees and each uni can pick what fee they charge international students unlike British ones that pay £9,000 a year.

However, there is an issue with illegal education facilities that set up and get people over on student visas and then they disappear into thin air. But why doesn't the Home Office get rid of them! Not make it harder for genuine students.

This has been happening for years under Tory leadership. Qualified people or students coming from the commonwealth being refused to come here.

Guest Rachelle of London

^^^ Thanks Chelle. And you have to pay 9.000 pounds a year for university? Holy shit! Does this include housing and such? In Germany it's almost free, at least the education.

It used to be £3,000. When I was studying it was only £3,000. If I started a year later I would've had to pay £9,000. And guess who was the person that decided to raise the fees.

DAVID CAMERON!!!!

You can see how much I hate him!

And no that doesn't include housing. That's just your fees for your lessons. You still have to pay for rent/halls. Back in 2010 when I started I was paying £110 a week for my student accommodation. I lived with all Chinese international students that paid £500 a week, just for rent!

The university system in Germany was so great as I remember it. Lots of discounts for students, great programs to choose and good teacher. I enjoyed so much that year in Leipzig!

I have to refresh my German a bit and go visit the city again. One of the best years in my life :inlove:

I really loved that whole seminar thing, those little classes with few students and lots of interesting topics. I did two semesters and learned so much about Journalism Law!!!

It used to be £3,000. When I was studying it was only £3,000. If I started a year later I would've had to pay £9,000. And guess who was the person that decided to raise the fees.

DAVID CAMERON!!!!

You can see how much I hate him!

And no that doesn't include housing. That's just your fees for your lessons. You still have to pay for rent/halls. Back in 2010 when I started I was paying £110 a week for my student accommodation. I lived with all Chinese international students that paid £500 a week, just for rent!

A WEEK?! :dramatic:

Guest Rachelle of London

UK economy grows by 0.6%

• 9 minutes ago

• From the sectionBusiness

_86817111_breaking_image_large-3.png

The UK economy grew 0.6% in the three months to the end of June, a period that ended one week after the vote to leave the European Union.

Growth in gross domestic product was stronger than expected in the quarter, and was up from 0.4% growth in the previous three months, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) said.

Any uncertainty ahead of the referendum seemed to have a "limited" effect, the ONS said.

On an annual basis, growth was 2.2%.

ONS chief economist Joe Grice said: "Continued strong growth across services, particularly in retailing, reinforced by healthy growth in the manufacture of cars and pharmaceuticals, boosted output in the second quarter.

"Any uncertainties in the run-up to the referendum seem to have had a limited effect. Very few respondents to ONS surveys cited such uncertainties as negatively impacting their businesses."

This is the first estimate of second-quarter economic activity and is based on less than half the data that will give the eventual figure

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36903164

Guest Rachelle of London

It will be interesting to see what the figures are for the next quarter. This covers the period leading up to BREXIT decision when uncertainty was at its highest and the economy still grew. ANd good to see car sales are on the up.

Guest Rachelle of London

It's too soon to see the full effect of BREXIT. But immediate response of economy growth, stable interest rates. With the pound still shot to shit we do have to be very careful though. Plus as I've always said this will be disastrous for Ireland. The next few months are going to be interesting to say the least.

I dont think the real consequences of Brexit would be felt previous to the real exit of UK. And what the consequences would be would depend on the deal with EU and the relation of Britain to the Single Market.

I dont think the real consequences of Brexit would be felt previous to the real exit of UK. And what the consequences would be would depend on the deal with EU and the relation of Britain to the Single Market.

deal? what deal?the EU can´t give a good deal to the UK, because that would be the beginning of their end!

Why wouldn't Europe want to create fair trade deals with the UK. It benefits Europe greatly to do so. If they chose not to it would be a case of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

deal? what deal?the EU can´t give a good deal to the UK, because that would be the beginning of their end!

There would be a deal that would define the future relationship between EU and Britain unless the parties fail to reach such in 2 years period since the start of the negotiations. Then, immediately the EU treaties would stop applying in the UK (so they ll be forced out of the EU and the single market). Like it or not, some deal would be made. EU would either grant full access to the single market or limited one depending on the demands from UK. If UK wants to limit migration from EU (they already set that goal), I doubt a full access to the market would be granted cause UK wouldnt respect the fourth freedom: freedom of movements of people within the EU. And even if UK accepts this freedom and if a full access to the single market is granted, it would be for (possibly) even more money than the UK is paying now (if they follow Norways example... Norway is paying more than UK per capita now even though they are not in EU). As a result UK may be forced to pay more for literally staying within the EU (in the single market), but without any role in the decision making. I think that would be the end result which would be economically beneficial for both sides, but in reality EU should be harsher to UK (to make an example). We ll see if they ll have the guts.

And in reality the consequences of Brexit would depend on the deal with the EU. In the worst possible scenario for UK, they wont be granted access to the single market which would affect London as the biggest financial centre of the EU.

Why wouldn't Europe want to create fair trade deals with the UK. It benefits Europe greatly to do so. If they chose not to it would be a case of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

I don't know exactly what the UK can offer economically to the EU,I'm sure they produce a lot of things that I don't know about,but they can't leave the union and be treated as good as they were treated before.the most important economies from the union are germany,france and italy's,I don't know where the UK was when they were in.

I think all the investers know that there won't be a Brexit and this was just some stupid politicians doing stupid things :lol::lol::lol::lol:

and that would be IMO the biggest scandal of all,if the citizens of the UK decide one thinv,but the markets decide that they can't do it...I alreadt think that we live in th dictatorship of the market,not in a real democracy,but this would be a huge scandal