Rebel Heart (Demo)

Guest rocketman

Rebel Heart (Demo Version) could`ve been a massive hit in most European countries... it would`ve saved the album saleswise... a potent lead single is everything to a strong selling album... Living For Love was just too cold and generic...

I do believe next to Hung Up it is the song with the biggest mainstream appeal from her catalog in the last ten years...

The time in her life, the place that she resides in in terms of the persona she carries, all of that was channeled into sheer gold with the Rebel Heart demo. To me it's magic in a bottle and it was not used like it should have been.

That song followed by Ghosttown and then maybe LFL or BIM or UB would have been huge

The time in her life, the place that she resides in in terms of the persona she carries, all of that was channeled into sheer gold with the Rebel Heart demo. To me it's magic in a bottle and it was not used like it should have been.

That song followed by Ghosttown and then maybe LFL or BIM or UB would have been huge

Agreed!!! I also think the BS demo would have been a great single. But yeah, the RH demo was a perfect pop song. Just perfect. I have envisioned the video in my mind a million times and, like Beautiful Killer from MDNA, it was a tragic mistake not to release it.

Of course, it's the greatest. That and Wash All Over Me.

YEP! Absolute instant, classic M songs. Possibly two mega smashes or mega smash potential that were butchered for the album. Would still love to know to this day what *truly happened? Avicci said many, many months later how salty he was and 'claimed' he was clueless to why she made made the changes.

The overall/universal consensus seems to be she was simply so irate w/ the original 'demo' (but prob 99% final versions) leaking that it was a punishment in a way to everyone/the whole situation (regardless of how much she loved them or not) and was already over it all by that point. Was like an F U for putting the songs out which she prob. super loved waay before they were meant to be heard. Plus, there was prob. a bit more tweaking up needed to be done but she was so pissed that seems she scrapped them last minute out of pure frustration. Those demos are 100% Madonna- NOT the final, vapid/dreadful B side quality final album cuts. Almost seemed like a bad joke.

No doubt RH (demo) and WAOM woulda done some major damage in Europe- the most she's done in many years.

YEP! Absolute instant, classic M songs. Possibly two mega smashes or mega smash potential that were butchered for the album. Would still love to know to this day what *truly happened? Avicci said many, many months later how salty he was and 'claimed' he was clueless to why she made made the changes.

The overall/universal consensus seems to be she was simply so irate w/ the original 'demo' (but prob 99% final versions) leaking that it was a punishment in a way to everyone/the whole situation (regardless of how much she loved them or not) and was already over it all by that point. Was like an F U for putting the songs out which she prob. super loved waay before they were meant to be heard. Plus, there was prob. a bit more tweaking up needed to be done but she was so pissed that seems she scrapped them last minute out of pure frustration. Those demos are 100% Madonna- NOT the final, vapid/dreadful B side quality final album cuts. Almost seemed like a bad joke.

No doubt RH (demo) and WAOM woulda done some major damage in Europe- the most she's done in many years.

I agree with you Pud

But i think she scrapped most of the avicci work and decided to do a more RnB record at some point before the leaks and decided to scrap all dance songs/avicci sound in favour of the new producers (kanye, bloodiamonds

But Avicii's tracks did not become urban at all. Isn't the album version of Rebel Heart almost identical to one of the demos? There was also a piano version of Wash All Over Me that sounds similar to Kanye West/Mike Dean version. DJ Dahi & Blood Diamonds barely changed Devil Pray, mostly that post-chorus bit with weird vocals. It's not like any of the album versions sound completely different to what Avicii did!

Plus Avicii gets a lot of credit from the fans while the tracks related to him were co-written and co-produced by a slew of other people like Carl Falk so let's not act like he was a Shep Pettibone to her who then got "betrayed" by reworked demos.

But Avicii's tracks did not become urban at all. Isn't the album version of Rebel Heart almost identical to one of the demos? There was also a piano version of Wash All Over Me that sounds similar to Kanye West/Mike Dean version. DJ Dahi & Blood Diamonds barely changed Devil Pray, mostly that post-chorus bit with weird vocals. It's not like any of the album versions sound completely different to what Avicii did!

Plus Avicii gets a lot of credit from the fans while the tracks related to him were co-written and co-produced by a slew of other people like Carl Falk so let's not act like he was a Shep Pettibone to her who then got "betrayed" by reworked demos.

RH had all dance elements taken off and had the more urban beat added and Waom was produced by kanye which was not dance anymore together with illuminati

He was clearly not betrayed and it seems he was also having health problems at the same time, but he got all credit on the tracks

What still bothers me is that her camp/Guy O have been making weird first single choices since they left warner

There's nothing urban in that campfire guitar-like album version, Illuminati has nothing to do with Avicii as it's a Toby Gad/MoZella track and like I said Wash All Over Me still sounds like one of the demos done by Avicii & co.

Plus Messiah & HeartBreakCity also remain mainly unchanged from the demos and Avicii is credited for both alongside nearly a dozen of people...

Avicii is still on the album though. Heartbreak City, Messiah, Rebel Heart, Addicted, all produced by him. Devil Pray has a co-production from Blood Diamonds, but still has a lot of Avicii's elements.

I was told this was the real WAV.

And it does sound a bit better than the original demo 2 leak.

Anyone have the REAL wav then?

Cuz I thought this was it.

:)

I still can't understand her problem with this version... If they were able to keep Addicted so polished yet so close to the Avicii demo, why not Rebel Heart? It was the best song from the initial look and made love the album instantly... And what about the BIM Diplo mix? How idiotic was that not to release it on its own?

Gosh I can't believe I have to explain the whole situation again in Dec 2015 :rotfl:

1. Kanye has already reworked WAOM way before the demo leaked. Read the Mojo Magazine interview. How many times do I have to repeat this?

2. Avicii got really ill halfway through the production of the record and she had to look for another producer to finish the record, which means a NEW sound.

3. RH was meant to be a double album. I do think the heart record was meant to be Avicii/dance-oriented and the rebel side would be more Diplo/urban-electro. But since the label didn't allow that, she had to tweak the songs so that they had a more cohesive sound. RH/WAOM(demos) would've sounded so out of place on the final record.

However, if she were still under Warner, they would've never let her change the RH demo. They always had a good ear for lead singles.

Let's not forget that Avicii actually produced the version of RH that ended up on the album - he just personally preferred the one that sounded more like his own style (from memory, Madonna reverted to an earlier version of the track that they had produced, rather than Avicii's "final" version). It's not as though Madonna gave the track to someone else to produce, who then turned it into something completely different (a la "Frozen"). WAOM, on the other hand, was reworked by Kanye (as outlined above).

Let's not forget that Avicii actually produced the version of RH that ended up on the album - he just personally preferred the one that sounded more like his own style (from memory, Madonna reverted to an earlier version of the track that they had produced, rather than Avicii's "final" version). It's not as though Madonna gave the track to someone else to produce, who then turned it into something completely different (a la "Frozen"). WAOM, on the other hand, was reworked by Kanye (as outlined above).

It's actually the other way around! I use to say the same thing too, but people had the files mislabeled.

Demo 1 03-2014 (3:29) (Acoustic)

Demo 2 05-19-2014 (4:00) (Uptempo) [First Leaked Demo]

Demo 3 07-2014 (3:27) (New Vox)

Demo 4 (3:16) (End Cuts)

Demo 5 (3:29)

In bold is what leaked. Demo 5 is the one closest to the album version.

It's actually the other way around! I use to say the same thing too, but people had the files mislabeled.

Demo 1 03-2014 (3:29) (Acoustic)

Demo 2 05-19-2014 (4:00) (Uptempo) [First Leaked Demo]

Demo 3 07-2014 (3:27) (New Vox)

Demo 4 (3:16) (End Cuts)

Demo 5 (3:29)

In bold is what leaked. Demo 5 is the one closest to the album version.

Yes that's right! The labels were wrong.

I wonder what 3&4 sound like

Thanks Whoop! How did we find out that the labels were wrong?

The acoustic demo and Demo 5 are more similar than the dance version. The fact still remains that Avicii produced the final album version :)

In the end, I like both demo and album version of RH.

But one thing is sure: it should have been the 1st single.

The minute it leaked, it should have been on Itunes and pushed to radios.

What a missed opportunity.

Avicci demo is far superior for WAOM and RH. If there one demo Madonna should use for her next album is Heaven. This track is pure gold. I really don't understand the final cut of RH... but well it's been 1 year now, I moved on, but still.

In the end, I like both demo and album version of RH.

But one thing is sure: it should have been the 1st single.

The minute it leaked, it should have been on Itunes and pushed to radios.

What a missed opportunity.

As much I love Living for Love, I agree with this. Everyone was raving the song when it leaked.