Grace Jones comments on Madonna, Beyoncè, Miley, Nicki in her autobiography

XXL

Doris!!!!! Hahaha

To be fair I always found this woman highly overrated. She was the shallow Gaga of the 80s and now only older gays remember her. And parents that were agog at that advertisement she did for that car, vwhere she opened her mouth so much the car went out

Guest Rachelle of London

I could've sworn I read that she also said M went to her concerts & met her and credited her. strange. I don't like that she puts her in the same sentence as the other pop girls but I can understand that she finds it annoying when everyone steals from her and then gets called "bitter" when she talks about it, which reminded me a lil of the EY BTW thing.

This

Never given a f**k about Grace Jones, didn't know who she was until that bumper song recently appeared on an 80s compilation.

The point is as far as aesthetics and props Gaga is the one who stole from her, not Madonna. Grace and Madonna couldn't be two more different artists, androginy themes aside and still done differently. What is offputting about Jones statement is that she is saying Madonna is like Rita Ora :blink:

She's seen Madonna when Madonna was becoming Madonna in the coolest artistic place in the world and in its peak time. Grace knows best than to come out with a list like that, I get that she needs to plug her book but that's hilarious. I'm not even paraphrasing, it's her words

"Be like Rita Ora, be like Gaga, be like Miley, be like Madonna. I can't be like them because they're already being like me" Right :rotfl:

Everything would have made perfect sense if she hadn't lumped Madonna with Rita Ora etc to be honest

Thank you, and doesn't this woman have a thread in the music section? Go stroke her inflated ego there. It's obvious she needs it. I mean seriously, Madonna would be criticized mercilessly if she casually lumped someone of her status with a bunch of that artist's wannabes and from her own fans too.

It's okay to be delusional about someone if you are less successful then they are?

If you are so great go out and get on with it....are some responding to it? Are many responding to it? Is that your reason for your art? Don't you just want to make a statement? Go make it.

All that stuff that I care nothing about, that should have been mine.

Guest Rachelle of London

Thank you, and doesn't this woman have a thread in the music section? Go stroke her inflated ego there. It's obvious she needs it. I mean seriously, Madonna would be criticized mercilessly if she casually lumped someone of her status with a bunch of that artist's wannabes and from her own fans too.

It's okay to be delusional about someone if you are less successful then they are?

If you are so great go out and get on with it....are some responding to it? Are many responding to it? Is that your reason for your art? Don't you just want to make a statement? Go make it.

All that stuff that I care nothing about, that should have been mine.

:dead:

I totally agree. Love me some Grace, but does she really lumps Madonna with all the new girls? On one hand its complimentary, but on the other...

I think she watched "Bitch Im Madonna" video..

Doris!!!!! Hahaha

To be fair I always found this woman highly overrated. She was the shallow Gaga of the 80s and now only older gays remember her. And parents that were agog at that advertisement she did for that car, vwhere she opened her mouth so much the car went out

well you are wrong there

Doris!!!!! Hahaha

:noway:

Grace was never a manufactured nobody with no originality. She may have been a model who was given a recording contract but she's been very influential from a style point of view and she's always been an original personality being a key part of the Studio 54 scene. Her Nightclubbing album is regarded as a true eighties classic and also very influential and I think Chrissie Hynde described Grace's version of Private Life as the definitive version.

Gaga is spoiled rich girl who was given a stage persona by a producer and never been part of any scene. What clubs has she ever been associated with? None! She's just some second rate stage school act with a key to a theatre wardrobe.

Slave to the Rhythm and Pull Up To The Bumper are regarded as two classic eighties songs.

Gaga is nothing more than an updated version of a Stock, Aitken and Waterman act like Sabrina.

:noway:

Grace was never a manufactured nobody with no originality. She may have been a model who was given a recording contract but she's been very influential from a style point of view and she's always been an original personality being a key part of the Studio 54 scene. Her Nightclubbing album is regarded as a true eighties classic and also very influential and I think Chrissie Hynde described Grace's version of Private Life as the definitive version.

Gaga is spoiled rich girl who was given a stage persona by a producer and never been part of any scene. What clubs has she ever been associated with? None! She's just some second rate stage school act with a key to a theatre wardrobe.

Slave to the Rhythm and Pull Up To The Bumper are regarded as two classic eighties songs.

Gaga is nothing more than an updated version of a Stock, Aitken and Waterman act like Sabrina.

Okay but if you're going to go into detail then we could say that gaga had her fair share of rejection as shed'd been trying for 3+ years until she made it big, just a shame she became a parody of herself

XXL, this is what i read and I sorta agreed with it like that. but yes putting M with the names of those girls is a joke. interesting she shut up about debbie harry etc

Then we agree I think :lol:

We're saying the same thing basically. I just don't think she sounds wise or like it makes any sense when she lists Madonna with those other girls, that's my only problem with Grace's statement. And as for the comparison with M fans being outraged at Gargamel thanking Whitney Houston while dressed in BAT gear ...... well no comparisons whatsoever to be honest, that is glaring and more than justified but Madonna didn't lift from Grace Jones sorry, so if Jones needs to shout at someone for "profiting from my ideas and being all about the money" and having no real life is nothings like Stefani etc etc only she should come for

Unless she thinks Madonna is like Rita Ora and Miley etc :blink: which I seriously doubt, sounds more like the usual Madonna name-dropping ploy to get a few extra press inches. I don't care if she said Madonna came to her shows in the early 80s and was "respectful". Oh really? Sounds condescending like hell. Madonna doesn't own Grace Jones anything period. Madonna comes from the underground as much as Grace does which seems to be one of the main points of Jones anyway. She wasn't a model either, so she probably had to work a lot harder to get heard within the industry. She worked so hard in fact that when the time came to switch from a band to a solo deal, in other words "her big moment", she spat in the face of her then management because she didn't want to follow the music genre they had in mind for her.

Guest Rachelle of London

Oh crikey, it's an excerpt from a whole book. I highly doubt Grace thought mentioning Madonna in THIS sentence was gonna get her press inches when she praises her multiple times in the same book. Like seriously guys.

• 2 weeks later...

Grace has been talking a bit more about Doris lol

Lady Gaga might be getting praise for her fearless work on American Horror Story, but Grace Jones has potentially just given Mother Monster a reason to run and hide.

Jones joined Bevy Smith on SiriusXM’s Bevelations over the weekend, and in an excerpt from the talk below, the icon basically rips the ARTPOP singer to shreds (a skill she’s apparently aiming to perfect). Evidently, Jones had Gaga pegged from the moment the two musicians met.

“Gaga came to me, and I just could not find a soul,” she says. “I come from church—maybe that has something to do with it. I like to get to the soul of a person. I just didn’t feel a soul.”

Jones goes on to clarify that she doesn’t believe Gaga is soulless—just that her spirit was hard to spot. Still, future encounters didn’t make it any more visible.

“She might have been freaked out with meeting me,” she explained. “It’s okay, but then we met three times after, and…boy, I got so angry.”

Jones goes on to say that during one run-in, she noticed Gaga was wearing a piece by Philip Treacy—a designer Jones had already been very publicly sporting on tour. Unsurprisingly, this did not please her.

“I know Philip needed to make some money, but you know what, can you just wait until I finish my tour before you repeat what we are working on?”

http://gagadaily.com/topic/165228-grace-jones-on-meeting-gaga-i-could-not-find-a-soul/