Where to after Live Nation?

mtzlplk

I'm gonna play devils advocate and say that the last LN album will be her final album and the tour will be a massive farewell extravaganza!

Don't be silly. And you shouldn't play devil's advocate instead you should make the devil pray.

She signed a contract with Interscope for 3 studio albums and Live Nation for 3 tours. The year 2017 is the date by which the contract is supposed to be fulfilled. We've had MDNA and now we're on album 2. That means she will have to release the 3rd one in early 2017.

Yes under her LN contract she needs to do one more studio album... question is, is 2017 really the deadline? i doubt she can have another studio album in 2017, she intends to start on her new movie after the tour...

2017 is the deadline - she signed the deal in 2007, and it was a ten year contract.

What I'm confused about is the album aspect of things, as Interscope distributes the album, and post Celebration, all releases have been under Boy Toy Inc. I don't think Live Nation demands new studio albums, I think she has to fulfil the four tours - the first tour under the contract was Sticky & Sweet.

It's looking like the Rebel Heart Tour will go into 2016, and if her last tour of the contract has to be completed by 2017, I can see her doing some kind of greatest hits tour....

Yes under her LN contract she needs to do one more studio album... question is, is 2017 really the deadline? i doubt she can have another studio album in 2017, she intends to start on her new movie after the tour...

I thought it was another album, not necessarily studio. She will prolly do GHV3 to shut them up with zero promo.

That's just it isn't it? All the big names that signed up to 360 deals like U2, Madonna and, erm, Shakira have faced difficulties in selling records as a consequence.

I wonder if she'll go for a more conventional / flexible / independent route this after this deal is over, especially if she wants to carry on directing films and exploring other avenues..

Definetely flexible so she can direct/etc without having to make a rushed album/tour for next year

But not independent, she will always be a big cash cow for tours/shows

Going back to a traditional recording deal? Never. It would be quite silly and pointless at this point after everything that's happened within the industry in the past 10-15 years and even more so since the inception of her Live Nation run in 2008

She's definitely remaining in the touring/performance department. CDs and record companies are over for everyone. And she doesn't need another 360 deal (you bet if there still were such deals they'd offer it to her). She can have another type of deal with LN that accomodates her future needs. What is certain is that it will be a top tier type of deal, I can't see her doing less than the lanscape of vapidness surrounding her, commercially speaking she's still not only the most bankable pop star out there but the most bankable celebrity period.

She has several other passions/interests and the ability to carry out her vision. Remember when Rupert asked her in 98 what she envisioned herself doing at age 50 when she was 40? Right, well she's almost 60 now and look what she's achieved in the past 14 years touring/endorsement/merchandising/licensing wise alone. I don't think anything is a good or accurate enough prediction when Madonna is involved.

Going back to a traditional recording deal? Never. It would be quite silly and pointless at this point after everything that's happened within the industry in the past 10-15 years and even more so since the inception of her Live Nation run in 2008

She's definitely remaining in the touring/performance department. CDs and record companies are over for everyone. And she doesn't need another 360 deal (you bet if there still were such deals they'd offer it to her). She can have another type of deal with LN that accomodates her future needs. What is certain is that it will be a top tier type of deal, I can't see her doing less than the lanscape of vapidness surrounding her, commercially speaking she's still not only the most bankable pop star out there but the most bankable celebrity period.

She has several other passions/interests and the ability to carry out her vision. Remember when Rupert asked her in 98 what she envisioned herself doing at age 50 when she was 40? Right, well she's almost 60 now and look what she's achieved in the past 14 years touring/endorsement/merchandising/licensing wise. I don't think anything is a good or accurate enough prediction when Madonna is involved.

Great post! :clap: :clap:

2017 is the deadline - she signed the deal in 2007, and it was a ten year contract.

What I'm confused about is the album aspect of things, as Interscope distributes the album, and post Celebration, all releases have been under Boy Toy Inc. I don't think Live Nation demands new studio albums, I think she has to fulfil the four tours - the first tour under the contract was Sticky & Sweet.

It's looking like the Rebel Heart Tour will go into 2016, and if her last tour of the contract has to be completed by 2017, I can see her doing some kind of greatest hits tour....

It's a "10-year deal" for three studio albums and four tours

It doesn't necessarily mean that the third studio album and fourth tour have to be put out within the end of 2017

Maybe Sticky & Sweet leg 2 was considered second?

ok maybe not.

but maybe the next tour she'll do less shows to just end it, if she had to end it in 2017.

Or maybe it will start late 2017-2018.

she very well could go on a talking tour because maybe she has already fullfilled her contract money wise. she can now afford to go on a tiny speaking tour charging insane amounts of money putting babs to shame.

another album can be done & released right until dec. 2017. so....done. lol

GO BACK TO WARNER MADONNA MUSICALLY and LIVE NATION TOUR WISE.

If she steered clear of the traditional 'recording contract' route, it would be interesting to see whether she would be willing to stump up the cash to fund her own album releases. Releasing independently would give her full control over single releases, marketing strategy, etc without any outside influences. She'd be a one woman band!

I THINK: She'll re-sign with LiveNation for more money than she'll ever be able to enjoy, make commercial (sounding) music for diminishing returns, and continue to be a huge touring force.

I WISH: She'd not sign with anyone, release music on her own label, make music that is daringly different but (as always) with a strong pop sensibility, and continue to be a huge touring force (when she wants to).

she should never have left Warner.

There were big tensions between Warner and Madonna after a major restructuration of the company in early 2001. They had a HUGE court fight because of Maverick records. They wanted to shut it, she had a contract to pursue it. She sued them and they counter sued her. She was mad to see how they treated her after all the money they earned thanks to her. They finally bought her out of Maverick.

from wiki :

By the early 2000s, Maverick saw its commercial fortunes decline and business operations financially unravel. In March 2004, the label filed suit against Warner Music Group (and its former parent company, Time Warner); claiming that mismanagement of resources and poor bookkeeping had cost the company millions of dollars. Warner filed a countersuit, alleging that Maverick had lost tens of millions of dollars on its own.[2][3] On June 14, 2004, the dispute was resolved when Maverick shares owned by Madonna and Dashev were purchased — which effectively exiled the two of them from the company, as it then became a wholly owned subsidiary of Warner Music Group. Then Maverick CEO Guy Oseary, meanwhile, would retain his position until WMG purchased his label shares in 2006.

She's gonna stay with Guy O and wherever he goes. Rebel Heart is the first Madonna album to have the Maverick logo printed on it since American Life.

^ I agree

Warners were great in many respects and it was her "safe" nest for a quarter of a century which is like 600 years in the extremely fickle world of pop music. However she has made them close to $4bn in album sales alone and let's face it the Bronfman dude played her like a fool. She understandably didn't appreciate that treatment AT ALL

And let's not forget that Maverick brought into Warners coffers at least an extra $1bn of sales thx to Morrissette and a long list of other successful acts, however shortly or not. It was definitely not run as a vanity label. Madonna has always been extremely serious and professional. First thing she said to the press in 92 when she got the deal was "WB didn't hand me $60m so that I could go shopping at Bergdorf & Goodman"

The $20m she got in that settlement is absolutely not reflective of what she put of herself in the whole Maverick affair.

That said, fans still have a hard time digesting the fact that after 25 years it doesn't make a difference what recording company was behind her in 2007, she would have left them anyway, the paradigm had changed indeed. People that 8 years later still think that record companies actually have any future need to let go of that notion.

I'm just grateful she's still performing and putting on amazing elaborate shows with good new music and older stuff smartly reworked. I don't care if she's since been making $100m a year when you sum 90% of net touring gross, merchandising, licensing, gyms, Dolce and Gabbana/Versace etc, the gyms, footwear and perfume as long as I get what I've paid for as a fan

I would imagine LN will only resign her to a touring contract, if the Rebel Heart tour is a success.

She is getting multimillion dollar album advances, and barely going platinum.

She could easily release music herself, but I just don't know if she even wants to keep making albums.

if she inks another deal with live nation, the album and tour by 2017 could easily be extended. i'm expecting the deal to be much lower in value though, since it would likely be a 3 album and 3 tour deal, (or maybe even less), and that they would not pay her $17.5 million per album anymore. probably a $100 million, 10 year, 3 album 3 tour deal. but still i hope that she cuts live nation out of the albums part of the deal completely, and have it handled fully by a record company, so that both live nation and the record company can pull full effort into their expertise to help madonna create another golden era.

I would imagine LN will only resign her to a touring contract, if the Rebel Heart tour is a success.

She could easily release music herself, but I just don't know if she even wants to keep making albums.

Hardly anybody is these days! Album sales keep declining each year. Going gold is the new platinum! :crazy: Albums with multiple popular smash singles struggle just to hit gold!

I am not sure why people are implying that she does not want to continue making music. Look at how many songs she recorded for Rebel Heart and how excited she is talking about making music in every interview she has done. The only thing that might have turned her off slightly was having her music stolen and leaked which she has said upset her greatly. However, we all know that Madonna always moves on, does not dwell on negative things and seems to me that she is thrilled with the album. She probably won't make another album for a few years but that is normal. Plus only Adele ( a rare one off ) and Taylor Swift - ( young girls absolute idol at the moment ) are selling multi platinum albums.

Sure, I agree that Live Nation/Interscope are a poor excuse for a record company but can't fault Madonna herself.

I wasn't knocking her record sales, just suggesting LN won't be giving her such huge advances in the future -- I think 15 million?

I think she will always be able to grab some sort of record deal, I don't see her ever selling less than one million albums, at least WW.

so new billboard article says this will be her last tour with livenation as per contract and still has one more album left. so the second half of sticky & sweet mustve counted.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop-shop/6487508/madonna-to-launch-rebel-heart-world-tour-in-august?mobile_redirection=false

I wasn't knocking her record sales, just suggesting LN won't be giving her such huge advances in the future -- I think 15 million?I think she will always be able to grab some sort of record deal, I don't see her ever selling less than one million albums, at least WW.

That's not how that deal works. That is not a "huge advance" at all when that figure gets properly analysed. The $17m advances agreed on back in 2007 are obviously not for the album themselves but instead representative of an advance of what the album will generate in parts of the business that are still making money. That is because it was conceived as a reversal of the old business model to begin with, a model where the album is a vehicle for the tour and not the other way around.

Also people and fans (not referring to you, a general consideration) need to stop suggesting her sales are weak. Anyone who's been around for 30 years and is constantly at least among the top 15 records of the year (Celebration, MDNA #12 - ROL and Music Top 10, COADF at 47 Top 5) is definitely not doing LESS on the CDs sales front than younger counterparts are.

Especially whe you think of the kind of promotion she reserved to releases like HC, Celebration, MDNA: almost nothing at all, compared to what most acts do. MDNA sold 2m copies, so did FafaFLOP in triple the amount of time with a $25m budget, Katy and Miley sold around 3, etc etc. Look at U2, Coldplay, Springsteen sales and it's the same deal. CDs and the old record company models are well and truly over with but clearly some people have yet to get the memo.

Anyway as Horn and others have suggested I see her continuing her relationship with LN for the touring, licensing, merchandising aspect of her career. Even in a different capacity or with a different type of show but still with them and maybe until there is such a thing as a CD, having a separate distribution deal with a record company.

And like Roland said the Madonna Oseary combo is here to stay for quite a while, he's got his fingers in too many juicy pies business and communication wise. And :chuckle: at the irony of the resurgence of Maverick.

so new billboard article says this will be her last tour with livenation as per contract and still has one more album left. so the second half of sticky & sweet mustve counted.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop-shop/6487508/madonna-to-launch-rebel-heart-world-tour-in-august?mobile_redirection=false

This article is a joke for a publication like Billboard

"Madonna will then go to the UK and Europe" :semifunny: