MADONNA'S MUSIC VIDEO DIRECTORS SPEAK!!! THE MAKING OF MADONNA's ICONIC MUSIC VIDS

MLVC82

"I had kinda talked Madonna into releasing 'Oh Father' as a single and we did this video and we were very happy with the video and nobody ever saw it because the song wasn't a hit," Fincher told The Guardian, "so she came back to me and said, 'You screwed me up. You wanted to make this video for the song and no one liked the song and I went to bat for you and now I have to make a video by Tuesday.' And I said, 'What's the song called?' And she said, 'Vogue.'"

Still one of my favorite Madonna stories ever.

My one tiny bit of criticism: couldn't they have grabbed a couple of quotes from the director(s) of Living for Love? It's a great video and given the fucked up schedule I'm sure has a great story behind it. Not to mention, of course, that it's her current video.

My favourite part : from the director of Burning Up

The piece of paper was addressed as the "penthouse suite" so I thought she was rich or had a rich family. When the doors opened [on the top floor of her building], it was crumbled staircases and a paper plate that said "Penthouse Suite" with an arrow pointing up the stairs stuck with tape to a cracked wall.

Classic Madonna.

wow!! beautiful, thanks!!!!

now i like him even more:

Jean-Baptiste Mondino, director: All I know is...my main problem is I don't like videos when somebody's dancing, that the camera is moving a lot. I'm more like an old-time, classic guy, because I remember most of the video you had shot with the crane, some Steadicam, plus some panning. So you have about five different cameras shooting a performance, and after they edit like crazy. It gives you a lot of freedom, but I feel very frustrated because I like to see somebody dancing. I hate when there's too much editing. I like the steadiness of the performance because then you can really enjoy the movement of the body. You see the skill.

Bad Girl is missing from that list! Fever is sort of bland for her standards, and exhausting color... Even GGW is better.

Sedanoui is a legendary music video director.

Sedanoui is a legendary music video director.

Agreed, his video for Björk's Possibly Maybe, is amazing (and the song is about him too!)

Fever is probably one of my favourite M vids, it really takes the song somewhere new.

My favourite part : from the director of Burning Up

The piece of paper was addressed as the "penthouse suite" so I thought she was rich or had a rich family. When the doors opened [on the top floor of her building], it was crumbled staircases and a paper plate that said "Penthouse Suite" with an arrow pointing up the stairs stuck with tape to a cracked wall.

Classic Madonna.

And of course, her being naked except for the pair of knickers :laugh: