BBC Radio 1 Boycotts Madonna. Fans rally and ANNIHILATE ageist DJs!

lautnerfied

Form Letter bullshit.

"we don't think her new song will be of interest to our young viewers".... how the FUCK would they even know if you refuse to play it due to age discrimination?

And using Paul McCartney as an example on a song where he's basically a backstage prop...??? FUCK you idiots.

As for all the "musical merit and relevance" shit.... BULLSHIT. Like anything of 1D or Taylor Swift has any of the sort...

Don't you know young people are REALLY REALLY interested in Paul McCartney's music ( WITH KANYE AND RIHANNA ) ???

Am being sarcastic .

Just fuck em!! Madonna don't need them anyways! I know that's not the point of it. we

We made our point and they will feel the wrath of Demonna! I hope they will lose more listenerers!!

BBC 1 has sent me a response to my complaint

Dear Mr Martin

Reference CAS-3156984-LFYSJF

Thank you for your comments regarding Radio 1 ‘banning’ Madonna for being ‘too old’.

Firstly, we can assure you that, despite what some newspapers decided to report, Radio 1 has not banned Madonna. However, it is true to say we do not think her new record will be of great interest to our young target audience and have therefore decided not to add the track to our daytime playlist.

With regard accusations of ageism, Paul McCartney, aged 72, is currently on the Radio 1 A-List with his song with Kanye West and Rihanna; and Radio 1 presenter Annie Nightingale, aged 74, is also significantly older than Madonna. Tracks are chosen on musical merit and their relevance to the audience on a case-by-case basis, and whilst around 40% of the country’s 15 to 29 year-olds tune into Radio 1 each week, an artist’s age is never a factor. We will continue to play Madonna tracks which we feel our listeners will appreciate and enjoy.

Thank you again for contacting us, we value your feedback about Radio 1. All complaints are sent to senior management and the Radio 1 controller every morning and I included your points in this overnight report. These reports are among the most widely read sources of feedback in the BBC and ensures that your complaint has been seen by the right people quickly. This helps inform their decisions about current and future programmes.

Kind regards

Andrew Gilfillan

BBC Complaints

Yes, of course. THEY are the arbiters of what people want to hear, the people themselves don't get to decide. Makes perfect sense. God, BBC Radio 1, you are my new favourite fascist radio station.

Oh well, M is smart, and I hope she uses the outrage around this ban to her advantage. Although when MTV banned Justify My Love it resulted in a devastating loss in profits. Oh wait . . .

The Inquisitr was the first to report yesterday that BBC’s Radio 1 had never bannedMadonna for “being too old and irrelevant.” A Radio 1 Spokesperson yesterday told theInquisitr that the Daily Mail, a British tabloid notable for allegedly printing false stories and getting them linked on the Drudge Report, possibly fabricated the story in order to age-shame Madonna.

“First of all, there is no ban on Madonna. Her single ‘Living for Love’ might have been available since December, but the record company didn’t start pushing it until recently. We have played the song — I think more than once. It may not be played a lot on Radio 1 right now and may not be played at all in the future. But to say the song was ‘banned’ is an incredible lie and one that some are pushing to promote an obvious agenda against Madonna.”

Today, Radio 1, dealing with many outraged music fans, went public with their statement on Facebook, according to Digital Spy.

“Radio 1 does not ban anyone — please don’t believe the papers. The tracks played on Radio 1 are chosen on musical merit and their relevance to our young audience on a case-by-case basis, and whilst around 40 [percent] of the country’s 15 to 29-year-olds tune into Radio 1 each week, an artist’s age is never a factor. In fact, Paul McCartney currently has two tracks — ‘FourFiveSeconds’ and ‘Only One’ — on the Radio 1 playlist.”

Perhaps Radio 1 should be a little more honest in that the only reason Paul McCartney is being played on their station is because he is singing with younger artists, which is completely fine in terms of marketing. In their statement, Radio 1 could have indicated that they have been playing Madonna’s “Living for Love,” but that it’s just not at the top of their playlist yet. In fact, it was just played last evening.

The Inquisitr checked the facts, and all it took was five minutes. These are the facts: Madonna is still relevant and her latest single is not only being played on the youth-oriented Radio 1 in the U.K., but on young-adult oriented stations such as Z100 (New York) and KIIS FM (Los Angeles), as well.

http://www.inquisitr.com/1850255/bbc-confirms-madonna-ban-was-false-tabloid-hack-job/

We do not think her new record will be of great interest to our young target audience and have therefore decided not to add the track to our daytime playlist.

Comments on their Facebook page say different. I would like to know what criteria they used to come to this decision.

WE pay for this biased, corrupt and arrogant corporation and it's about time they listened to US..or it should be closed down forever. :rant:

It's contradictory. When Annie Mac played the track on her show last month, she asked for public feedback afterwards. She said on air that she got great feedback and she was very happy about that.

I just hope this doesnt' dies down. This is much more important than Living for Love, this is about being 40 or 50 or 60 and not becoming invisible. This will affect us all sooner or later and powerful people older than 40 have to unite together and fight ageism.

Guest Rachelle of London

I'm surprised Loose Women havent jumped on this, they love to hate on Madonna and her age, even though they are even older than her. Or is Coleen Nolan STILL 42?

I just hope this doesnt' dies down. This is much more important than Living for Love, this is about being 40 or 50 or 60 and not becoming invisible. This will affect us all sooner or later and powerful people older than 40 have to unite together and fight ageism.

:old: Indeed

The BBC have no defence to this. For a company that constantly espouses equality and left-wing values this is shameful.

It won't die down and I look forward to the response to my next email.

Every woman in their 50s and onwards should take this as personal. Every one of them who has been refused after a job interview or considered useless because she's not 22. They all should write and call BBC and make Government to do something there. It would be different if BBC were private.

And they all should buy Living for Love and flash their tits too!

We do not think her new record will be of great interest to our young target audience and have therefore decided not to add the track to our daytime playlist.

Comments on their Facebook page say different. I would like to know what criteria they used to come to this decision.

WE pay for this biased, corrupt and arrogant corporation and it's about time they listened to US..or it should be closed down forever. :rant:

:clap:

Haha they just keep on posting new stuff on their Facebook page and every single post is bombarded by M fans :lmao:

Not sure if this does more damage than good, but it's surely funny as hell :dead:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a629471/madonna-fans-urge-bbc-radio-1-to-play-living-for-love.html

It's great that this is being picked up and the BBC are being exposed as the complete arrogant, hypocrites that they are.

..and let's remember, all good promo for M and the new album :madgemanson:

I'm surprised Loose Women havent jumped on this, they love to hate on Madonna and her age, even though they are even older than her. Or is Coleen Nolan STILL 42?

Oh god Loose Women . I go into MANopause just by watching that program .

I'm loving the support she's getting .

laim

Miriam O'Reilly: "I've been fighting for 14 months."Continue reading the main story

Related Stories

From 2011

BBC boss hits back in ageist row

Presenter 'warned about wrinkles'

Ex-Countryfile host Miriam O'Reilly has won an employment tribunal against the BBC on the grounds of ageism.

The 53-year-old claimed she had been unfairly dropped from the rural affairs show when it moved to a primetime Sunday evening slot in April 2009.

O'Reilly, whose sex discrimination case failed, said the outcome had "implications for all broadcasters".

The BBC has apologised to O'Reilly and said it would like to "discuss working with her again in the future".

O'Reilly said she had endured "an incredibly stressful 14 months" since launching her claim.

"I did this because it was the right thing to do - I couldn't have lived with myself if I'd just walked away," she said.

"I'm so pleased the judges have agreed with me."

O'Reilly added: "It was hard taking on the BBC as I love the BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12161045

Why did the Daily Mail start this "controversy"?

It's 6 years old now:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a173150/madonna-song-not-played-on-radio-1.html#~p4DYlxExK9e0Ik

"Miles Away" was the last Madonna song playlisted on Radio 1 and although I **love** her new single I'm fine with Radio 1 not bothering with it.

I can still remember in the 90s being annoyed that it seemed MTV didn't want Madonna as much as in the 80s and instead VH1 was her new home. I hated that!! But that's life. Her main fanbase gets older (like everyone does) and these channels are trying to target specific age groups.

In the case of Radio 1 - they're bound by law to not deliberately aim for audiences older than 20-somethings. Lets face it, the *majority* of Madonna fans are 30s+.

Is it not a bit like us expecting Madonna's TV appearances to be on the kids or even pre-school channels?

I just saw this on the R1 boycott page...

"Am just about to send email to the BBC hope you like.

The BBC is respected throughout the world for its unbiased reporting but that has just been undermined by your radio service which has in my opinion damaged the BBCs reputation and shown a lack of accountability.

To say that it is not Madonna's age but rather that her new single is not what listeners want to hear is fatuous at best. As an organisation are you seriously saying that the 15 - 35 demographic are need to be told what has merit and considered worthy by you?

World media have praised Madonna's new single but radio 1 have acted in a wholly patronising manner.. everyone one else is wrong and Radio 1 know what is good?

This is not just about Madonna though but a wider issue . All PR is good they say but not in this case. The BBC has a huge platform and as a publicly funded organisation is directly answerable to us the license fee payer. It has no right to carry out discrimination on any basis including age, race, gender or sexuality and that is what you have done. You would not I hope ban a records AirPlay because the trust was black, gay or female?

This is not the first time ageism. has reared its head at the BBC.. Particularly with regards to female news readers.

in a year when not only your charter is up for renewal and a general election is in the offing it would be better for the BBC if they got their house in order. With the BBC having to lose excellent services like BBC three. Perhaps rather you should consider whether Radio 1 is serving any real purpose. It is clear that you have sacrificed your slightly older audience for a younger demographic.

If you reply please do not send me the same patronising email you send everyone else. I expect a considered response.

Stephen Crellin ( very unhappy license payer )"

Ha, a new day a new Madonna controversy, I love it....fresh off the heels from the "racist" Martin Luther King / Nelson mandela pics, comes yet another one .... Madonna is the polarising icon people love to get up in arms about, last they were denigrating her, now they're supporting her, it's quite a whirlwind

i scrolled through about 5 of their Facebook posts and each had Madonna LFL comments nothing to do with the topic.

it's great to see the amount of support. i'm sure M will make a much bigger statement either in an interview or at her live performance on the Brits.

Guest Rachelle of London

Some guy wrote "Here come the Madonna comments" and people have replied to his post requesting Living for Love :dead:

Funniest thing ever