So, if David Fincher is making ads and did that Justin vid...

karbatal

Re: Fincher and a falling out, potential romantic relationship, etc. ... I recall reading something on the forum a while back, as well. I think we heard that Fincher had filmed some footage of BA in Japan in preparation for the project that would become Truth or Dare. Suddenly, something pulled the plug, Fincher left, and Alek was brought in. (??? I have no idea whether this is true or not, just repeating what I thought we had heard.) Someone asked about the footage -- the thought was that it should, theoretically, exist somewhere, but perhaps not.

As Loomer ( :blush: ) rightly pointed out, though, "Bad Girl" would have come later, so it cannot be that they have severed all ties and are unwilling to collaborate.

Now, about returning to (fabulous, iconic) directors Fincher and Romanek ... Well, I have always held out a little hope for this myself. But I also kind of have to admit I don't think it's ever going to happen at this point. I say this with a huge caveat and with no criticism behind it, but ... I'm sure it's probably all about money, unfortunately. Yes, Madonna doesn't always like working with new people, but she has for her first singles for the past several albums ("4 Minutes" and "GMAYL"). Later singles, she returns to "safe" people --but also, perhaps, people with less expensive directors' fees. (Again, I say this without criticizing her. I know some people take this as an attack -- and think, "Oh, she's rich, she can afford it..." BUT ... I think she sinks a lot of money into the production values of her tours, too, and filming those videos, etc. So, while she might be frugal, it's not that she is doing everything on the cheap all the time -- she just has to make that dollar stretch quite a bit.) The thing that has made me start to accept this was the comment in the Jimmy Fallon Facebook interview for MDNA -- her comment about not being able to afford a director's fee for Quentin Tarantino. I mean, perhaps she was completely kidding, but ... even in humor, there's usually a kernel of truth.

I recall, years ago, when Romanek was doing press for some project, he was asked about whether he'd work with Madonna again. He said yes, basically. I mean, he qualified it a bit, but he basically said he'd enjoy that. I don't know if Fincher has ever commented on the possibility, except to say that he probably doesn't do much music video work anymore, preferring to focus on feature-length films. (Oh, and Romanek had praise for W.E. before it came out, I think!)

It surprises me occasionally when I read negative comments from music video directors who have not worked with her. Gondry is one ... I think maybe someone else in that circle of directors for that DVD Collection (Romanek, Chris Cunningham, et al.) said something uncharitable in one of the interviews for the liner notes. It seems odd, given her massive contributions to the art form. But then I also think, well, everyone she HAS worked with comments on how specific she is, and how hands-on and involved she is in the process. Perhaps some directors who have strong approaches don't take kindly to someone else who has strong opinions and suggestions. Perhaps they don't like being challenged in that way, and since Madonna's reputation precedes her in that regard, those directors have a negative opinion of her. It's a shame.

As for the question of what directors we might like to see her work with? Other than Fincher and Romanek, of course ... People she hasn't worked with before? I might like to see what Francis Lawrence or Sophie Muller might do. I have liked their work with Gwen Stefani (and Sophie's work with No Doubt). I guess Lawrence has sort of moved on to film now, too, though, right?

I'm pretty sure there was some sort of romantic entanglement and when that ended, the working relationship went with it unfortunately. I love how she once said she considered herself his muse, there was still so much more they could have done together - shame.

Reading between the lines, I think there was some kind of romance or massive attraction between them both. I have read 2 interviews with David where he seemed to be in awe of her and vice versa. Then there was this comment by him below that has often been quoted and talked about.

Madonna is my Vatican.

She's my Sistine Chapel.

Re: Fincher and a falling out, potential romantic relationship, etc. ... I recall reading something on the forum a while back, as well. I think we heard that Fincher had filmed some footage of BA in Japan in preparation for the project that would become Truth or Dare. Suddenly, something pulled the plug, Fincher left, and Alek was brought in. (??? I have no idea whether this is true or not, just repeating what I thought we had heard.) Someone asked about the footage -- the thought was that it should, theoretically, exist somewhere, but perhaps not.

As Loomer ( :blush: ) rightly pointed out, though, "Bad Girl" would have come later, so it cannot be that they have severed all ties and are unwilling to collaborate.

Now, about returning to (fabulous, iconic) directors Fincher and Romanek ... Well, I have always held out a little hope for this myself. But I also kind of have to admit I don't think it's ever going to happen at this point. I say this with a huge caveat and with no criticism behind it, but ... I'm sure it's probably all about money, unfortunately. Yes, Madonna doesn't always like working with new people, but she has for her first singles for the past several albums ("4 Minutes" and "GMAYL"). Later singles, she returns to "safe" people --but also, perhaps, people with less expensive directors' fees. (Again, I say this without criticizing her. I know some people take this as an attack -- and think, "Oh, she's rich, she can afford it..." BUT ... I think she sinks a lot of money into the production values of her tours, too, and filming those videos, etc. So, while she might be frugal, it's not that she is doing everything on the cheap all the time -- she just has to make that dollar stretch quite a bit.) The thing that has made me start to accept this was the comment in the Jimmy Fallon Facebook interview for MDNA -- her comment about not being able to afford a director's fee for Quentin Tarantino. I mean, perhaps she was completely kidding, but ... even in humor, there's usually a kernel of truth.

I recall, years ago, when Romanek was doing press for some project, he was asked about whether he'd work with Madonna again. He said yes, basically. I mean, he qualified it a bit, but he basically said he'd enjoy that. I don't know if Fincher has ever commented on the possibility, except to say that he probably doesn't do much music video work anymore, preferring to focus on feature-length films. (Oh, and Romanek had praise for W.E. before it came out, I think!)

It surprises me occasionally when I read negative comments from music video directors who have not worked with her. Gondry is one ... I think maybe someone else in that circle of directors for that DVD Collection (Romanek, Chris Cunningham, et al.) said something uncharitable in one of the interviews for the liner notes. It seems odd, given her massive contributions to the art form. But then I also think, well, everyone she HAS worked with comments on how specific she is, and how hands-on and involved she is in the process. Perhaps some directors who have strong approaches don't take kindly to someone else who has strong opinions and suggestions. Perhaps they don't like being challenged in that way, and since Madonna's reputation precedes her in that regard, those directors have a negative opinion of her. It's a shame.

As for the question of what directors we might like to see her work with? Other than Fincher and Romanek, of course ... People she hasn't worked with before? I might like to see what Francis Lawrence or Sophie Muller might do. I have liked their work with Gwen Stefani (and Sophie's work with No Doubt). I guess Lawrence has sort of moved on to film now, too, though, right?

I loved Romanek's commentary on working with M on the videos for Rain and Bedtime Story. He seems to have a very high opinion of Madonna and working with her.

Reading between the lines, I think there was some kind of romance or massive attraction between them both. I have read 2 interviews with David where he seemed to be in awe of her and vice versa. Then there was this comment by him below that has often been quoted and talked about.

Madonna is my Vatican.

She's my Sistine Chapel.

:wow: :wow:

Love that quote ... I don't know that I ever heard/read it before?! But yes, I agree, David Fincher has been positive about her in the past. And she, him.

I loved Romanek's commentary on working with M on the videos for Rain and Bedtime Story. He seems to have a very high opinion of Madonna and working with her.

Yes! I bought the DVD basically just for this ... haha! At one time, I think I typed up the notes/comments for a thread on the forum, in case anyone hadn't heard some of the information. Too bad, I could've just listened to it on YouTube. The only complaint I have is that the commentary left me wanting more ... it's such a short time to talk about the making of a video. (It's different when it's a feature-length film.)

Also, it was too bad that they didn't have any interview with M on that DVD. Other musicians/artists were interviewed, Gwen Stefani and Trent Reznor, for example. But we know M doesn't like to look backward.

But, yeah ... Romanek always speaks highly of her, and I love when he says that everything she pointed out, she was right about, and he changed it to agree with her vision. I think that's really telling about her and her instincts, even when she's working with these really talented, accomplished people, she still has thoughts and ideas that improve their vision and increase their creativity. I think that's pretty remarkable.

Thanks for posting the YouTube links -- I might re-listen to the commentary again now.

Slightly off-topic, but re-listening to the Romanek commentaries reminded me of something interesting ... He mentioned that some software had to be written in order to achieve some of the desired visual effects in the "Bedtime Story" video. And I remember reading that the same thing had to be done for "Don't Tell Me," just to get the background video to stutter and jump in perfect sync with the audio track. And we all know her stages are very often on the bleeding edge, too. It just makes me wonder if this often happens with other artists, or if it's just part of the Madonna effect -- because she's a leader, a pioneer, a trendsetter.

I love this line from Pud. And i have always thought the same!!!!! "This is what Body of Evidence should have been and she knows it, hence why we have this superb video."

Yes. I've always found Bad Girl video far more interesting than BOE, which is cliché after cliché.

I watched BOE on the cinema back then. Doesn't interest me anymore. I enjoyed the slut Madonna but i found everything so incredibly ridiculous! hahahaha. I recall people in the cinema laughed at the wrong parts.

As for video directors...am I the only one that finds some of her tour backdrops far more interesting and visually appealing than some of the latest videos? Maybe they're not as story driven as the videos...but I kind of like that they're more visually abstract...

I've always felt some of those directors should be doing some of the actual music videos...

Yes, they are.

I was thinking about it last weekend, i was watching Nothing Really Matters, and that video could easily have been a backdrop for the tour, or some interlude. I think some things that work for tours wouldn't work for regular videos. Some weeks ago somebody opened here a thread about MTV having NRM as one of the worst videos ever. clearly its language is far different, and more simmilar to videos like Paradise, Future Lovers, Bedtime Story (RIT)...

I love this line from Pud. And i have always thought the same!!!!! "This is what Body of Evidence should have been and she knows it, hence why we have this superb video."

Yes. I've always found Bad Girl video far more interesting than BOE, which is cliché after cliché.

That is so damn true! I never put it together until now.

I'm pretty sure that David and M were romantic at some point. Her 'diary' quote from Vanity Fair 1996 could be a referring to Fincher:

Buenos Aires [Thursday, February 22, 1996]:

Last night I dreamed that I was pursuing a director I was once in love with and he invited me into his home to tell me that he couldn’t be with me. I sat at his kitchen table on the verge of tears. Then he said to me, “You once described a man’s body as powerful. What is your definition of power now?” and I replied, “Power is being told you are not loved and not being destroyed by it.”

Anyway, I'd LOVE to see a new callabo with these two.

As for video directors...am I the only one that finds some of her tour backdrops far more interesting and visually appealing than some of the latest videos? Maybe they're not as story driven as the videos...but I kind of like that they're more visually abstract...

I've always felt some of those directors should be doing some of the actual music videos...

Yes! It all started with the Paradise video, which is amazing! Why the hell wasn't that an official video? I loved the RIT video for Bedtime Story. It would have made a great video for NKM. Future Lovers video was awesome! It left me wanting more! S&S DAD video could have been a Hard Candy video, but it doesn't fit with any of the song unfortunately.

I agree. I feel like she has gone the "safe" route with her videos lately, but her tour backdrops are always interesting and more daring. I get that what works for a tour might not work for a music video but I still wish she would do something different.

It's not that I dislike her videos from her more current releases, it's just that they are not that interesting compared to what she has done in the past.

I didn't find his video for JT all that appealing. Did nothing for me. If that's what his music video work has turned into, then just stick to the film making. M is best looking for someone else. I haven't had complaints with any of her recent videos tbqh. I would be happy with Mert and Marcus did another video for her.

Good stuff. I do think $$$ plays a big part. I'm not sure Sophie Muller's style would mesh well with Madonna. Her videos have a very warm/soft vibe, and M is all about being hard these last several years. Maybe during the BS era, but not now.

I would have liked to have seen her work with Chris C. again. I heard he does weird experimental art videos now or something? I think he left the business, which isn't surprising. He's an artist.

I didn't find his video for JT all that appealing. Did nothing for me. If that's what his music video work has turned into, then just stick to the film making. M is best looking for someone else. I haven't had complaints with any of her recent videos tbqh. I would be happy with Mert and Marcus did another video for her.

Yeah, I was underwhelmed by it, and then I saw that Fincher directed and took a second look. It's definitely really well made, just not very interesting. Sort of a throwback to his pre-M videos (like "Straight Up"). Simple, clean, slick. His strength was really the more narrative videos, hence why EY, OF, BG were so good - and why he ended up being a fantastic film director. I would love to see them collaborate again though.

She also once complained to a photographer (Rankin?) that she didn't like working with new people - then again, who does. So that may explain the recurring set of people she's used before.

It was a shame she didn't work more with Matthew Rolston, they never clicked.

Ugh. MR is all style and no substance. I'm glad they never worked together again. Imagine what Fincher could have done with TPOG! smh

I can't believe she hasn't worked with Michel Gondry. I googled a bit and it seems like he isn't a fan of Madonna :(

Michel Gondry has made some of the most indelible music videos of all time for some of the biggest acts of the last two decades, including Radiohead, Björk, Foo Fighters, The White Stripes, Beck and even Paul McCartney and The Rolling Stones. So when Movieline caught up with him today to discuss his forthcoming documentary Thorn in the Heart, it seemed a great opportunity to feel him out on the new vanguard of the form: Lady Gaga, whose epic "Telephone" video has swept popular culture with a fury, frenzy and inspiration not seen since the glory days of which Gondry himself was a part. His response -- which swept through genre monoliths from Michael Jackson to Madonna to Marilyn Manson -- was unexpected to say the least.

"I'm not interested," he said. "To me it's like a form of Marilyn Manson. It's hard for me to talk about it; I've seen a couple of videos of hers, and not for very long. I stop watching them each time because I don't think there's melodies. I'm sorry to be negative. Like I'm not a big fan of Madonna. I respect her very much, but unfortunately the videos didn't help the music in the long run. Well, I guess it helped it to survive to the point where the video was irrelevant. So music has to find its own way, which is good for the music. It becomes smaller and more alive and it's not as crazy, except for some R&B. To me, it's just talking about the surface. I compare it to Marilyn Manson. The music to me is very expected. I don't think there's anything in the tone or the melody that makes me say, 'Oh, there's something going on.'

But then he chose LAP as one of his all-time favorite videos?

http://www.spike.com/articles/owr148/michel-gondrys-top-25-favorite-music-videos

Madonna, ''Like a Prayer'' (1989)

''I'm not a big fan of Madonna,'' Gondry admits. Still, he thinks the story in this controversial clip, directed by frequent Madge collaborator Mary Lambert, ''felt genuine. It was a good take on racial problems. And she was pretty amazing-looking with her [dark brown] hair. At the end, the choir of religious people is all cliché. But it's effective.''

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20208853_20475431,00.html

I guess he prefers BrunetteDonna!

I'm a fan of Gondry, but he's a fucking twat. I don't even understand what he's saying about "the videos didn't help the music in the long run" or "the video was irrelevant." I know English isn't his first language, but come on. The fact that LAP is apparently his favorite M video is telling. It's iconic, but it's NOT her best by a mile.

It's funny she complained about working with new people, when she claimed at that period that she was only interested in working with new and young people on her videos

Ugh. MR is all style and no substance. I'm glad they never worked together again. Imagine what Fincher could have done with TPOG! smh

It's not so much POG, just that he makes people look the best they'll ever get. Fincher was long out the picture by that point and was becoming a Hollywood A-Lister.

Michel Gondry she missed and he doesn't like her despite working with Kylie F'ing Minogue but another person she missed was Tarsem Singh. You can't have em all... ir's like actors who do a directors wish list. So many great producers, artists, bands, remixers, photographers etc she could have worked with but we can hardly complain.

The fact that LAP is apparently his favorite M video is telling. It's iconic, but it's NOT her best by a mile.

Ugh. :zombie: "smh" One thing he got right.