Elton John and Mick Jagger's review of the Drowned World Tour

XXL

^ If you listen carefully they are clearly referring to DWT :gent:

This footage was shot in July 2001 for a Jagger documentary

Elton's mentioning of the 8-year hiatus is sufficient indication

Elton also said about DWT something about he doesn't go to concerts with dancers pretending to be a tree or some shite.

He's just jealous. How many years did he do that red piano tour for with no new ideas??

He's just jealous. How many years did he do that red piano tour for with no new ideas??

When was Pig Smelton "artistic"? :rotfl:

:chuckle:

Elton also said about DWT something about he doesn't go to concerts with dancers pretending to be a tree or some shite

:rotfl:

Actually that was Noel Gallagher's "assessment" of Madonna's DWT London Earl's Court date :chuckle:

The quote was: "I don't go to a concert to see someone hanging from the ceiling"

He has recently praised her

These people are so dull

I remember in the 1985 Time magazine article that Mick Jagger said that Madonna's music was characterised by a central dumbness. Later when she was asked if she was offended, she said that Mick Jagger did not know her well enough to call her dumb so she was not offended. She said she had met him and shook his hand.

I love the way, she never buys into any criticism of her. Debbie Harry admitted in an interview recently that even though she had made unflattering comments about Madonna in the past, Madonna had always listed her as a major inspiration. Debbie said that a lot of her angst against Madonna was because she felt she had stolen her career as Debbie took time out at the height of her fame to care for her sick boyfriend. The way Madonna always turns the other cheek and does not respond to nasty comments from other celebrities shows class and restraint.

The way Madonna always turns the other cheek and does not respond to nasty comments from other celebrities shows class and restraint

:clap:

I remember in the 1985 Time magazine article that Mick Jagger said that Madonna's music was characterised by a central dumbness. Later when she was asked if she was offended, she said that Mick Jagger did not know her well enough to call her dumb so she was not offended. She said she had met him and shook his hand.

I love the way, she never buys into any criticism of her. Debbie Harry admitted in an interview recently that even though she had made unflattering comments about Madonna in the past, Madonna had always listed her as a major inspiration. Debbie said that a lot of her angst against Madonna was because she felt she had stolen her career as Debbie took time out at the height of her fame to care for her sick boyfriend. The way Madonna always turns the other cheek and does not respond to nasty comments from other celebrities shows class and restraint.

So true! :thumbsup:

It's because she's secure about herself.

And yet she's supposed to be a "nasty jealous old bitch", the irony :lmao:

Guest whatatramp

:rotfl:

Actually that was Noel Gallagher's "assessment" of Madonna's DWT London Earl's Court date :chuckle:

The quote was: "I don't go to a concert to see someone hanging from the ceiling"

He has recently praised her

These people are so dull

Your single came out at a time when Britain was engrossed in the chart war between Blur and Oasis. Were you aware of all that?

“No. All I know about Blur is that they exist. I’ve listened to the Oasis CD but it doesn’t appeal to me. I know everyone’s into them in Britain but everyone listens to Mariah Carey here and I’m not into that either.”

Weren’t you supposed to go and see Oasis at Earls Court?

“I was invited to the show but I said, ‘I’m not going to go just because they’re a big deal. I have to like their music’. So they gave me a CD, and I listened to it, and I wasn’t interested “

Did the rock-based aspect put you off?

“Yeah, I just can’t relate to it. I have a hard time relating to male artists anyway… unless it’s the blues, R&B, that kind of stuff. Rock seems to me to be a lifestyle kind of stance, hiding behind this whole macho thing. It just doesn’t touch me. I listen to Oasis and I don’t know what the f*** they’re singing about and I don’t care.”

One of the Gallagher brothers, Noel, was quoted as saying that he was looking forward to meeting you and would only be too pleased to help you to have a baby.

Madonna starts. “REALLY?…”

Do we know that this is DWT? I always thought they were speaking about a performance that she did at one of Elton's benefits, presumably with a different setlist and staging.

They are undoubtedly talking about the Drowned World Tour.

It was so nice to see a legend like Mick Jagger to actually praise Madonna... Elton was unusually nice about M... he didn't even mention lip-synching lol

They are undoubtedly talking about the Drowned World Tour.

It was so nice to see a legend like Mick Jagger to actually praise Madonna... Elton was unusually nice about M... he didn't even mention lip-synching lol

He wanted to see where Mick would go before revealing himself too much.

I know how these shady queens work.

enhanced-6131-1400068422-1.jpg

It was so nice to see a legend like Mick Jagger to actually praise Madonna...

Elton was unusually nice about M... he didn't even mention lip-synching lol

I am not sure, maybe we have watched a different clip but Elton wasn't complimenting her at all even on this one to be honest. He said she should stick to doing "the Holiday numbers" and avoid trying to be artsy-fartsy. That doesn't sound much of a compliment. It's the usual Elton's baseless diarreha of the mouth only graded differently. Back-handed at its best

Madonna has an impeccable sense of aesthetics and is virtually the only mainstream megabuck act that has successfully merged ART and performance, not to mention that she's one of few people to have actually gone through an evolution of their stage persona. Not many people can pride themselves on willing to be as adventurous, outside of the schemes and the formula that works for them while remaining consistenty commercially successful and appealing to the public as she has in this regard

To call that tour artsy-fartsy shows how much you actually know about art and in his case it merely served as an intro to the tired "stay in in your no-frill dance number" rethoric. That tour was another example of Madonna putting her whole heart into a project and she delivered possibly the finest vocal performance of her entire career

He wanted to see where Mick would go before revealing himself too much.

I know how these shady queens work.

Bingo.

Shady queens is a perfect way to state it.

There is a blatant passive-aggressiveness to the way they're discussing her...like Madonna is somehow below their level.

"Oh, did you see what she did? Like please...stay in your lane... it was cute..." ...... These old rockers are such shady queens.

And ten years later Pig Smelton is singing Madonna covers while a parade of twinks sourced from the local day club are paid a tenner to strip down to their undies to dance a ring-around-the-rosy type routine in some school cafeteria. PLEASE :newspaper:

I REALLY hate this mentality most rock artists seem to have when it comes to pop artists, the whole "rock is a superior genre to pop so we are by definition more artistic and important than pop artists". Some rockers aren't like that but an AWFUL lot are.

I really think this whole "rock is better than pop" gimmick should stop, there's nothing admirable and truthful about it. Some rockers are full of fakery and gimmicks and some pop artists are truly artistic (Madonna being a good example). It's also sad to see quite a few pop stars calling themselves "rock stars" because it would apparently make them look more "cool".

I never understood where this whole mentality came from. I always felt that a lot of people are brainwashed since birth to think that it's cool to like rock music but liking pop music is "gay". Fuck that mentality, seriously.

Guest whatatramp

I REALLY hate this mentality most rock artists seem to have when it comes to pop artists, the whole "rock is a superior genre to pop so we are by definition more artistic and important than pop artists". Some rockers aren't like that but an AWFUL lot are.

I really think this whole "rock is better than pop" gimmick should stop, there's nothing admirable and truthful about it. Some rockers are full of fakery and gimmicks and some pop artists are truly artistic (Madonna being a good example). It's also sad to see quite a few pop stars calling themselves "rock stars" because it would apparently make them look more "cool".

I never understood where this whole mentality came from. I always felt that a lot of people are brainwashed since birth to think that it's cool to like rock music but liking pop music is "gay". Fuck that mentality, seriously.

I've actually noticed a trend where ironically liking a pop artist is considered cool, people that are suddenly into beyoncé and say she 'inspired the new record' for example or Alt-J sampling Miley Cyrus, it's not sincere at all

Well Breaking News, Elton John just announced during concert in France he was retiring ( publicity stunt since music business has already retired him 40 years ago)

(in french)

http://culturebox.francetvinfo.fr/musique/pop/en-concert-a-carcassonne-elton-john-annonce-quil-prend-sa-retraite-159945

Speaking of Debbie Harry

(Madonna never stole anything from Debbie Harry, i'm a huge Blondie Fan but Debbie's solo material was shit. If she had produced a half decent album nstead of the turds she released throughout the 80's and 90's she would have been huge. She tried to steal Madonna sound but Feel the spin with Jellybean is absolutely uninspired and flat. She tried house with in love with love but even though the video is great the music was already dated as fuck when it was released. Her first album with Nile Rodgers is shitty. She should have make an album with Moroder and release her version of Mind over matters)

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The same could be said for the alternative genre...or hip-hop/rap...or whatever else.... but what they all fail to realize is that if they become "popular" enough, and commercially successful enough, they are essentially "Pop". (As in popular music). For a good while, "rock and roll" was the pop music of its day.

This idea that because you play instruments, or are of a certain genre, or "indie", somehow makes you and your "art" superior, or more authentic, is nothing but the ego talking. It's bullshit.

I think a hell of a lot of it has to do with what a predominately hetero/masculine culture gets to deem as "cool" (acceptable/real/genuine). I see the same kind of judgements when it comes to artists that have a strong visual/theatrical and dance element to their work...god forbid they don't play an instrument, then somehow it's not "real" (hence why dance is still often seen as the 'red-headed step-child' of the arts).

It reeks of a kind of silent, in-between the lines kind of prejudice...

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The same could be said for the alternative genre...or hip-hop/rap...or whatever else.... but what they all fail to realize is that if they become "popular" enough, and commercially successful enough, they are essentially "Pop". (As in popular music). For a good while, "rock and roll" was the pop music of its day.

This idea that because you play instruments, or are of a certain genre, or "indie", somehow makes you and your "art" superior, or more authentic, is nothing but the ego talking. It's bullshit.

I think a hell of a lot of it has to do with what a predominately hetero/masculine culture gets to deem as "cool" (acceptable/real/genuine). I see the same kind of judgements when it comes to artists that have a strong visual/theatrical and dance element to their work...god forbid they don't play an instrument, then somehow it's not "real" (hence why dance is still often seen as the 'red-headed step-child' of the arts).

It reeks of a kind of silent, in-between the lines kind of prejudice...

Totally agree, mostly on the instruments part :clap: :clap:

A good example is Gaga: HOW MANY TIMES people have called her a "pop genius superior to Madonna" just because she can play the piano? Her music has been the exact same electropop so many artists have already done yet she's somehow "superior" because she play an instrument, that doesn't make ANY sense :manson:

And when it comes to rock artists, do you have ANY idea about how many times i saw Nirvana above Madonna on "best artists of all time" lists? I like some Nirvana songs but putting them above Madonna is beyond ridiculous. Madonna's career is WAY more vast and diverse yet because they were a rock band and Kurt killed himself (thus adding a tragic side to their story) they are apparently "superior" too. It's just ridiculous, biased and a good example of this "rock is better than pop" mentality.

Maybe one day it will stop. But this snubism is still very much alive. Like with females artists who are constantly considered inferior to male artists, you can easily see it with all those "best albums" and "best artists" lists, who are ALWAYS full of men and with very little women.

They said what tons of fans were saying about the show.

I remember leaving the DWT and a few bitter people complained she didn't sing Vogue.

Well Madonna doesn't have to sing Vogue if she don't want to. She was fresh from the success of two albums, it was only logical for her to concentrate on that and not old classics.

I am not sure, maybe we have watched a different clip but Elton wasn't complimenting her at all even on this one to be honest. He said she should stick to doing "the Holiday numbers" and avoid trying to be artsy-fartsy. That doesn't sound much of a compliment. It's the usual Elton's baseless diarreha of the mouth only graded differently. Back-handed at its best

It is true but we can always look at the bright side cus he did say how fierce and great she is when she performed Holiday! That was Elton's speaking... and to be fair to both Elton John and Mick Jagger they kind of gave the same criticism a lot of people gave of the Drowned World Tour.. as not having many hits form the past.

Speaking of Debbie Harry

(Madonna never stole anything from Debbie Harry, i'm a huge Blondie Fan but Debbie's solo material was shit. If she had produced a half decent album nstead of the turds she released throughout the 80's and 90's she would have been huge. She tried to steal Madonna sound but Feel the spin with Jellybean is absolutely uninspired and flat. She tried house with in love with love but even though the video is great the music was already dated as fuck when it was released. Her first album with Nile Rodgers is shitty. She should have make an album with Moroder and release her version of Mind over matters)

Bingo Babe!! :thumbsup:

JEALOUSY IS UGLY.

They should take their evil eyes and turn them into birds that fly.

Fucking fat dickhead Elton & skeletal coke-fiend Mick.

We will never forget what they both said about her on other occasions. Add them to the Slanderers of the Throne thread please.

Also -

Mick and Elton? I thought those whores DIED.

I don't think you can generalize about rock or all rock fans. Rock is my favorite genre, but I also love pop. Rock is a really wide genre. Some of it is great and someone of it isn't just like pop. But it is odd she talked about rock being a male dominated genre. Maybe that was true back then at the time of the interview, but today the most interesting coolest rock and guitar based music is being created by women. Their rock is of course quite different than Oasis which I can understand why she wouldn't like. I hate them too. You have people now like St. Vincent, this new duo from Scotland called Honeyblood which I'm in love with, and so many indie acts featuring women. I think it is just as closed minded to say all rock is bad and uncreative as to say all pop music is. I don't like traditional old school classic rock but I love more modern indie/alternative leaning rock mostly coming from the 1990's which women have played a large role in, such as Hole, the Breeders, Throwing Muses etc.

I really don't know what clips y'all r watching but it's fantastic, cuz it basically illustrates how

HUGE Madonna is...that these two Icons of the rock era r talking about someone who is essentially

a collegue with the same interest & perception that the general public has.

It's about her God-like status in the world of pop :fag:

It's not shady at all. :rolleyes: