Elton John and Mick Jagger's review of the Drowned World Tour

XXL

I don't think you can generalize about rock or all rock fans. Rock is my favorite genre, but I also love pop. Rock is a really wide genre. Some of it is great and someone of it isn't just like pop. But it is odd she talked about rock being a male dominated genre. Maybe that was true back then at the time of the interview, but today the most interesting coolest rock and guitar based music is being created by women. Their rock is of course quite different than Oasis which I can understand why she wouldn't like. I hate them too. You have people now like St. Vincent, this new duo from Scotland called Honeyblood which I'm in love with, and so many indie acts featuring women. I think it is just as closed minded to say all rock is bad and uncreative as to say all pop music is. I don't like traditional old school classic rock but I love more modern indie/alternative leaning rock mostly coming from the 1990's which women have played a large role in, such as Hole, the Breeders, Throwing Muses etc.

I didn't say that, i know that's not the case. I know there's a lot of quality rock music out there, no doubt about that. But i genuinely think rock became a very overrated genre because of so many people from the medias and the general public always saying how superior it is compared to pop music. They don't even care about the quality of the pop music, in their minds rock is the beginning and the end of all (because, you know, rock is "real music"). It's been like that forever. As i said it became a brainwashing phenomenon.

And yeah, today we have more women in rock being respected (and rightfully so) but when it comes to overall acclamation, men are ALWAYS put in the front line. When you see lists about best albums of all time, it's always: Beatles, Bob Dylan, Michael Jackson, David Bowie,... Always the same men, always.

Both rock and pop deserves credit and i hope we will someday come to a point when people will give credit where credit is due ;)

Mick says "We loved it" and then abruptly changes his tune when Elton says he didn't. WTF? Even Mick fucking Jagger isn't capable of having a mind of his own.

I Was going to say the exact same thing...he started off raving...then Elton quickly made him retract it.

And yeah, today we have more women in rock being respected (and rightfully so) but when it comes to overall acclamation, men are ALWAYS put in the front line. When you see lists about best albums of all time, it's always: Beatles, Bob Dylan, Michael Jackson, David Bowie,... Always the same men, always.

Both rock and pop deserves credit and i hope we will someday come to a point when people will give credit where credit is due ;)

Yes, that's true but that has more to do with men being seen as superior than rock being seen as superior. The Beatles may use live instruments but I would consider them more pop than pure rock. Bob Dylan is more of a folk artist than rock. Michael Jackson has a few rock driven songs, but the majority of his music is R&B. David Bowie's music is very eclectic. He did a lot of glam rock but he also did electronic based albums. If rock is seen as superior. I think sometimes it's because people think playing live instruments is important and it takes more talent to perform everything live, rather than using electronics. I don't agree with that but it's a common opinion even on this very forum. I can't count the number of times I've read on here that Madonna should use more live or organic instruments in her music and her concerts ,not just dance/electronica.

:rotfl:

Actually that was Noel Gallagher's "assessment" of Madonna's DWT London Earl's Court date :chuckle:

The quote was: "I don't go to a concert to see someone hanging from the ceiling"

He has recently praised her

These people are so dull

They always praise her when their careers are in the toilets .

I think it's because Rock is still primarily a man's territory...as well as being a genre that has gotten to define the "rules of the game" when it comes to the music industry and what is deemed as "legit"...and here's comes a woman that has risen above all of them with a style and genre that they think isn't supposed to...

I think a lot of it has to do with projection. These people, particularly the men, project their insecurities, ignorance and ego on a woman that has done it all...in a way they could only dream... breaking every rule... defying the politics....NOT playing into the game the way they have defined it for so long... doing it with a genre of music (and a certain style) they already deem as inferior...

...and something within themselves simply cannot handle it. They simply can't accept it.

Not to mention her style, the kind of music she makes, who and what it's associated with... I think it brings to the surface a kind of hidden prejudice.