Mariah speaks about Madonna in new interview

Ugly Hecty

She said something like "suddenly you think you're interviewing Mariah Carey" or somebody"? :)

What did she mean by that, exactly, though?

I have to watch that later- I liked some of her comments.

Love when M talks about being the revolutionary she was/is

00:36

I've already translated the exchange with the Italian interviewer in my previous post. It was Celebration promotion time and they are going over Madonna's career timeline. 1992 came up.

It was in response to the interviewer question regarding whether she regretted having put out Erotica, the SEX book and Body Of Evidence since at the time she suffered a major media backlash which caused her sales to suffer as a result and she was obviously very tongue-in-cheek with her answer (who do you think you're interviewing, Mariah Carey or something? *grin*) implying that unlike Mariah who seems to depend on the charts/live for them, it takes a lot more than a decline in sales to get her down or make her regret a certain choice :rotfl:

And we all know too well about Madonna's philosophy of Je Ne Regrette Rien/everything happens for a reason

Besides Madonna took risks with Erotica/SEX etc after major back-to.back 10-year long commercially successful milestones. It was a luxury she could afford and she's always been one to take calculated risks in the first place. Still I love that she doesn't compromise on her choices artistically even when it means less money: see PEPSI-gate in 89, BAT Toronto (or BAT in general), JML, 1992-1994, American Life.

It was somewhat of a partially dumb question to begin with, and I see many fans claiming that Erotica was Madonna's flop era which in truth was anything but, she was still the biggest star on the planet even between 1992-1994, certainly the most fascinating and written about ALL OVER THE WORLD. Europe was much more accepting of and titillated by Madonna's expression and bold statements on sex, sexuality and the hypocrisy of society than the US were, and the 20-40 age bracket here was living for her.

The US are traditionally more conservative and very religion-oriented in many regards, especially at the time anyway.My 43 yo straight cousin was 21 when Erotica came out and he oftens relate how 20-year-olds here in Europe felt about M and how fucking cool, rebellious and innovative she was, musically speaking as much as culturally as to the kind of topic she was bringing into the discussion, the first time a mainstream artist even dared to

1983 - Madonna 8m

1984 - LAV 20m

1986 - TB 20m

1989 - LAP 14m

1990 TIC 26m

In how many years? 8? And that doesn't count the 10m copies combined of You Can Dance and I'm Breathless in 1987 and 1990 respectively

She could certainly afford the Erotica backlash and the plummeting sales as the interviewer rather simplistically refers to them. She came back two years later with one one of her biggest hits in the US and continental Europe Take A Bow. Starred in a movie that took $250m at the box office, won a golden globe for her work in it, a movie whose soundtrack album went on to sell another 11m copies (on top of the 8m that her ballad GH sold the previous year) and had two 15m copies album at 40 and 42 respectively and later a 10m album at 40-fucking-7. I guess her remark is very pertinent in light of all the above :gent:

Mariah is more about finding excuses and justifying herself and like "I need to postpone because everything needs to be perfect for the fans bla blah, for like 20 times". Bitch Please, get some substance in there and truly learn the ART of LETTING GO (and also stop PR-lying yourself).

Its sounds like she is just becoming more bitter as hell by the day that she is an aging singer who is pretty much just a local "star" who cant seem to score a hit for her album to be launched with.She is not iconic. She has done nothing iconic image wise. Most of her hits have all but been forgotten. She doesn't have touring to fall back on as this chick couldn't fill up a stadium if her life depended on it. Her acting career is a flop. Her sting on Idol was a flop.The only thing she has going for her is her team that keeps pushing the "Best selling female of all time" shit in hopes that saying a lie long enough and loud enough will get people to care once again.

I remember always be my baby, fantasy, heartbreaker, my all, dreamlover, one sweet day, emotions, someday, and honey.. don't try it!

Mariah is more about finding excuses and justifying herself and like "I need to postpone because everything needs to be perfect for the fans bla blah, for like 20 times". Bitch Please, get some substance in there and truly learn the ART of LETTING GO (and also stop PR-lying yourself).

THIS

I wanna see this bitch flops SO FUCKING HARD WORLDWIDE and shut all her lambs up.

THISI wanna see this bitch flops SO FUCKING HARD WORLDWIDE and shut all her lambs up.

:shock:

Horn, I thought you loved Mimiphant?!

I remember always be my baby, fantasy, heartbreaker, my all, dreamlover, one sweet day, emotions, someday, and honey.. don't try it!

Um..you came close lol but I never and I mean NEVER hear any of those on any format (at the very most I barely hear My All on some random 90s AC station). Even Fantasy as huge as it was I rarely hear it as well. Positively hear ABMB (from the same album) way more than Fantasy and even OSD (the longest #1 ever lol) :#

I've already translated the exchange with the Italian interviewer in my previous post. It was Celebration promotion time and they are going over Madonna's career timeline. 1992 came up.

It was in response to the interviewer question regarding whether she regretted having put out Erotica, the SEX book and Body Of Evidence since at the time she suffered a major media backlash which caused her sales to suffer as a result and she was obviously very tongue-in-cheek with her answer (who do you think you're interviewing, Mariah Carey or something? *grin*) implying that unlike Mariah who seems to depend on the charts/live for them, it takes a lot more than a decline in sales to get her down or making her regret a certain choice :rotfl:

And we all know too well about Madonna's philosophy of Je Ne Regrette Rien/everything happens for a reason

That was a post of life! <3

Mimi: "Glitter?! What Glitter?"

MOAIA booklet:

2e0o6z4.jpg

That reminds me on The Confessions Tour (Or was I Sticky and Sweet?) Anyway the had this page of stickers or something with all of Madonna's albums on it but left off American Life. The nerve!

Well of course we remember them as we grew up with MTV, but these songs aren't played on the radio today. Hence, they are not being requested on AC/Hot AC stations and are being forgotten by the general public by and large. Most of her hits have no longevity at all.

And I could probably name more than you can, but that's because I literally grew up soaking up MTV and pop culture. Most didnt though as I am sure they had better things to do. :lol:

^ Neither Mariah nor Madonna get play on mainstream Top 40 anymore. I guess once in a while they play "Touch My Body" and "4 Minutes"? I don't even know. But they both get play on AC and Hot AC stations. I hear the following Mariah songs fairly regularly:

Can't Let Go (this is actually the one I hear most on Lite FM in NYC, which is the biggest AC station in the country)

Fantasy

Always Be My Baby

We Belong Together
Dreamlover

I'll Be There

Occasionally I hear Vision of Love, Hero, and My All. To completely write her off, even if you don't like her music, is silly. She has some great songs that still get played, though probably not as much as Madonna obviously. Her personality and obsession with charts and her delusional looks is grating and ridiculous though.

Why is Glitter considered a studio album for Mariah fans but I'm Breathless is considered a soundtrack album by some M fans. ????

It's called a double standard. They're both "studio" albums, because they were recorded in a studio. The question is whether or not they're "soundtracks." I view them both similarly - they fall somewhere in between. What's more, they're both good so I don't know why fans would want to "downgrade" either of them out of their discographies.

^ Neither Mariah nor Madonna get play on mainstream Top 40 anymore

Well that's US radio

In Europe it's a whole different matter for Madonna

Guest Rachelle of London

Mariah gets played on the radio a fair bit over here. Especially heart FM.

Guest SecretGarden

That's nice of her, I guess. Though I have always found her quite passive aggressive.

I've also always considered Mariah and Madonna to be complete opposites, with Madonna being hugely creative, a risk taker, willing to tackle serious issues through her songs and tours, and something far away from being a meaningless music product (something that Mariah exemplifies).

Mariah gets played on the radio a fair bit over here. Especially heart FM

Not as much as Madonna does. Not in the UK nor on continental Europe. In terms of classics and latest songs alike. And the only reason why Mariah Carey always got royal treatment on US radio/Billboard etc etc it's because of her marriage to Tommy Mottola and the corporate payola that continued for a while after it.

She's the worst as far as REAL hit consistency and NATURAL radio exposure go. Madonna did the MDNA redemption thing in the US, allright, but that's 30 years into her career and it is not part of a marriage or anything murky but part of promotional strategies/marketing campaigns of all artists and recording/touring companies these days. And despite the lack of support from US radio she still managed to score the 12th best-selling album of 2012, with a 12-year age disadvantage on Mariah

Guest Rachelle of London

Not as much as Madonna does. Not in the UK nor on continental Europe. In terms of classics and latest songs alike. And the only reason why Mariah Carey always got royal treatment on US radio/Billboard etc etc it's because of her marriage to Tommy Mottola and the corporate payola that continued for a while after it.

She's the worst as far as REAL hit consistency and NATURAL radio exposure go. Madonna did the MDNA redemption thing in the US, allright, but that's 30 years into her career and it is not part of a marriage or anything murky but part of promotional strategies/marketing campaigns of all artists and recording/touring companies these days. And despite the lack of support from US radio she still managed to score the 12th best-selling album of 2012, with a 12-year age disadvantage on Mariah

I hear more Mariah on the radio here than I do Madonna. And I'm in the UK. Heart FM loves her. Heart loves Crazy For You and True blue. Other than that I don't hear Madonna

Maybe when Madonna releases a project it will differ but Mariah is played more.

Chelle :-) maybe you're right about that particular radio station but in general Madonna gets more airplay than Mariah, at least 10 times more :-)

TOP 10 MOST PLAYED ARTISTS ON BRITISH RADIO

1. George Michael

2. Elton John

3. Robbie Williams

4. Kylie Minogue

5. Bryan Adams

6. Madonna

7. Phil Collins

8. Cliff Richard

9. Mick Hucknall

10. Paul McCartney

Source: Radio Academy

Guest Rachelle of London

Chelle :-) maybe you're right about that particular radio station but in general Madonna gets more airplay than Mariah, at least 10 times more :-)

TOP 10 MOST PLAYED ARTISTS ON BRITISH RADIO

1. George Michael

2. Elton John

3. Robbie Williams

4. Kylie Minogue

5. Bryan Adams

6. Madonna

7. Phil Collins

8. Cliff Richard

9. Mick Hucknall

10. Paul McCartney

Source: Radio Academy

Hahaha I know! In fact it was released that Madonna is the most played artist ever. However as of recent she's not being played as much as she used to. No one can deny it. As Mariah is now seen as a nostalgia act and songs 20 years ago are always being played whereas Madonna is current and still selling out stadiums I know which one means more.

I'm not into the whole Madonna vs .... Thing anyway. I don't see why some Madonna fans are considering Madonna is not like that herself and just does her own thing and prevails.

I hear more Mariah on the radio here than I do Madonna. And I'm in the UK. Heart FM loves her. Heart loves Crazy For You and True blue. Other than that I don't hear Madonna

Maybe when Madonna releases a project it will differ but Mariah is played more.

Hhhmmm maybe you don't happen to hear her but statistically Madonna gets played more than Mariah, same in Spain, Italy, France and Germany. Not just in terms of a career overall, I mean in general and recently.