Ever since ROL,why such a big change in M's voice?

Guest Rachelle of London

I don't get some answers in this thread. I like the STRENGTH that Madonna showed in her voice years ago and that after ROL it changed.

Precisely, in songs like I'm So Stupid it lacks strength, the same with parts of Jump, even bridge in Hung Up. When i mean strength i mean the POWER that you can feel in Rescue Me, or the feeling in Deeper and Deeper bridge.

If this Strawberry person has his own opinion, WHY ALL THE FUSS? Ugh, i hate it when people can't say anything a bit negative about Madonna.

It is actually ridiculous that someone can't even state their opinion just because they are a Janet Jackson fan.m without 10 million essays on how their opinion is wrong. If you don't agree fair enough but name calling etc is so childish.

OH, this is exactly what i feel. Thanks Skinbabe.

It's actually not an example at all, there's twenty years between those performances. It's called getting older.

The only real beef I have is that when she goes into her higher register now we get that thin sparrow voice that

she let loose circa AL, although strangely enough it was mainly absent during RIT. Get Into The Hollywood Groove is a

perfect example.

She seems trapped in her head voice a lot of the times.

I don't think it's about getting older. Besides, she's incredibly FIT and can dance as if she was 20.

I know that the voice changes, because the body does. But it's as if she decided to leave her "strong" register.

I also miss the deeper / raspy / stronger sound as in Rescue Me, Deeper & Deeper, WTG, etc. I don't think it's completely gone but we do hear it less and it might be due to age or any other number of things. Other than that, I agree with the majority that Madonna has a great range and can pull out almost anything she wants depending on the song.

Some good posts in here about M's voice. I'm enjoying reading these.

Madonna's voice changed in every album.

True Blue's voice is not Like A Prayer's voice. In Erotica she changed dramatically her voice to fit the album idea. Bedtime Stories is also very different from Erotica. The only albums with similar voice is Music and AL.

Madonna is very versatile.

I never said otherwise actually. I said "as of lately". Of course she has a versatile voice. I believe she has a 3 octave range. She is a better singer than the general public gives her credit for.

However, as a fan , I feel that she doesn't push herself or challenge herself vocally THESE DAYS. She seems complacent in that sense. At least recently.

That's my opinion. I'm okay with some of you guys not agreeing. I just don't see the issue with constructive criticism. I'm not bashing Madonna. Never have and never will. I just miss when she sang with more feeling.

Guest bluejean

The way she sang on her early tours singing off her throat was damaging to her voice as seen on BAT toward the end of the tour when she was all hoarse and shit. I know some fans prefer those vocals but believe me, that is not the sound of a healthy vocalist.

I actually felt the last few tours saw abit of a return to that, especially Sticky. The best vocals from a technical aspect were probably Drowned World or Reinvention. Sound wise I also love The Girlie Show and I find it hard to believe she did not have vocal lessons after BAT leading into Girlie because that was a big improvement technically speaking.

I think the worst vocals ever have to be the warbly vibrato of the Ray of Light promo performances (NRM at the Grammys, TPOG etc.) Now THAT is when she was over thinking the technical stuff and trying too hard imo. Thank God she improved a lot for the DWT.

But she sung Rescue Me after BAT. She had that register, no matter how much she sang before.

For me, it's not about that register per se, but about what you express with your voice. And sometimes recently Madonna didn't express what she could because the voice didn't fit the intention. For example with I'm So Stupid or with Miles Away.

Miles Away is the perfect example. Lyrics are so incredibly personal, she's singing about the end of a marriage, and some lines are so sad. But her voice doesnt' fit with the song at all! You need a bit of "angst" there, some "suffering" in the voice, and that song doesn't have the suffering.

Example of what she can do: When she starts "Papa, i know you're going to be upset" you get in the mood of what that girl is feeling. And those first verses go up with that "The one you warned me all about", it's much higher, there's suffering there, she's confessing.

And i think Girlie Show is her best live voice ever. She's incredible in that tour.

Guest bluejean

But she sung Rescue Me after BAT. She had that register, no matter how much she sang before.

Yes and that's in the studio not night after night while dancing and sweating on stage. Love that vocal performance though, definitely one of her all time best.

I've been listening to A LOT of the The Girlie Show lately... and her vocals are fucking amazing on that tour. She was so in her element on that tour. I can't even explain it.

It is actually ridiculous that someone can't even state their opinion just because they are a Janet Jackson fan.m without 10 million essays on how their opinion is wrong. If you don't agree fair enough but name calling etc is so childish.

:thumbsup:

To the OP: are you kidding?

Monotone??!

Voices are hardly ever the same throughout life, growing old, lifestyle, all contribute to a voice change. Fact.

Madonna's voice change since Evita was phenomenal and NOT monotone or flat at all.

Good for her I say!

I personally enjoyed her voice more since she undertook that extensive vocal training for Evita.

Guest Pud Whacker

everyone shut their monotone hole! you will hear madonna's voice at any stage in her career and love it.

I do miss the days when she would BELT out a song before she was "trained" on how to sing for Evita.

I don't understand this comment. Madonna has never been a belter, unless you are using that word to mean something very different than the common everyday definition that I associate with it. When I hear the world belter, I think of people like Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston in their prime, Christina Aguilera, Celine Dion or Kelly Clarkson in some of her songs. Belting to me is very loud singing/screaming hitting ultra high notes. When has Madonna's songs ever been based around that type of singing even in the 80's?

I read a generally awful review of MDNA that referred to her "dried out corn husk" of a voice, and another suggesting she sounds like she's reciting lines, more than passionately singing them. I tend to agree with both these statements.

Obviously, there are exceptions to this, but with both Hard Candy and MDNA I find her best vocal performances are on songs like "Voices" or "Love Spent". She sounds utterly relaxed on the former, and the stiffness of her delivery works flawlessly on the latter.

To me, she generally sounds like she's going through the motions vocally - especially live, which is weird because there's an energy and enthusiasm to her performances now that clearly shows she's still passionate.

I think probably it's a combination of age and that Evita-era vocal training, which works well on songs like "Frozen" but kinda falls flat on songs like "Celebration" or "Give Me All Your Luvin'". For whatever reason, she hasn't found the right kind of material for her voice today.

I don't get some answers in this thread. I like the STRENGTH that Madonna showed in her voice years ago and that after ROL it changed.

Precisely, in songs like I'm So Stupid it lacks strength, the same with parts of Jump, even bridge in Hung Up. When i mean strength i mean the POWER that you can feel in Rescue Me, or the feeling in Deeper and Deeper bridge.

If this Strawberry person has his own opinion, WHY ALL THE FUSS? Ugh, i hate it when people can't say anything a bit negative about Madonna.

I agree. I don't like the way people jump on anyone who says anything even slightly negative about Madonna. The trolls and non-fans make themselves pretty obvious soon enough.

Rescue Me, Deeper and Deeper, Oh Father, Papa Don't Preach, Live to Tell - I think those are all examples of really expressive, deep, soulful vocals that I think Madonna would struggle to replicate today, whether it's because her voice has physically changed or because those vocal habits were not technically correct and were therefore trained out of her for Evita. And like Skin said, the Into the Hollywood Groove track is a good example of the change when it cuts between the 1985 and 2003 vocals.

Having said that, there are lots of wonderful vocal performances post-Evita and I love how her voice can still sound so young sometimes. But I do miss that voice.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not a fan of super deep vocals. I've never been that big a fan of Rescue Me, because I think the vocals sound too deep. I like vocals more in the medium to high range. Madonna sounds much younger than a lot of people in their fifties.

I read a generally awful review of MDNA that referred to her "dried out corn husk" of a voice, and another suggesting she sounds like she's reciting lines, more than passionately singing them. I tend to agree with both these statements.

Obviously, there are exceptions to this, but with both Hard Candy and MDNA I find her best vocal performances are on songs like "Voices" or "Love Spent". She sounds utterly relaxed on the former, and the stiffness of her delivery works flawlessly on the latter.

To me, she generally sounds like she's going through the motions vocally - especially live, which is weird because there's an energy and enthusiasm to her performances now that clearly shows she's still passionate.

I think probably it's a combination of age and that Evita-era vocal training, which works well on songs like "Frozen" but kinda falls flat on songs like "Celebration" or "Give Me All Your Luvin'". For whatever reason, she hasn't found the right kind of material for her voice today.

:headbang:

What a ridiculous and ignorant topic.

1. It's not since ROL. It's since Evita and vocal coaching.

2. Women who have children will have a natural change in their voice due to the diaphragm position changing.

3. Men and women's voice will deepen and change as they get older.

4. Madonna has 'overused' her voice over the past few tours and there's a lot of wear and tear. It's natural. It's called doing your job. She may have vocal cord nodules, she may not.

5. Strawberry Bounce likes to rim unclean assholes.

I think that there are two "problems" here:

01. Her recording studio vocals: I think they sound different because they use so many filters and makes her sound robotic sometimes. When she starts "Girl gone wild" with the "Oh my God I'm..." you can hear Madonna. It's not the same voice from 1985, true, but you recognize her. The problema comes when she starts to sing and you can't say if it's Madonna or a robot or what. Songs like "Falling free" or "Beautiful Killer" sounds Madonna 100%, I think it's not her voice, it's the way they use the filters on the studio.

02. Her live vocals: I prefer her voice from 1983 to 1993, the way she sings, love it. But I have to admit that now she sings in a more profesional way. Again the problema is not her voice, it's the way she's singing. Some (like me) prefer the way it sounded before "Evita", others prefer how she sounds now... She doesn't sing better or worse, she just sing in a different way.

Her voice has gotten deeper with age yes, but i feel that she usually doesn't care to put effort on singing. For instance, she was pressed during Evita to really give her best and it clearly shows. For her pop albums she goes into the studio in a more relaxed carefree environment, she is with her own producers, she is in control and i bet she doesn't do too much preparation for it. She doesn't really care and just have a good time while doing it. I believe that Madonna is the type of singer who genuinely have fun while recording her albuns. If she is pressed then its a whole different story, she knows that she would be in trouble if not deliver what she is told to do.

I think the AL songs worked well with her post-Evita singing style. The problem IMO mostly happens with those tracks that were recorded trying to mimic her 80s voice (i.e. Girl Gone Wild).

I think they sound different because they use so many filters and makes her sound robotic sometimes. When she starts "Girl gone wild" with the "Oh my God I'm..." you can hear Madonna. It's not the same voice from 1985, true, but you recognize her. The problema comes when she starts to sing and you can't say if it's Madonna or a robot or what. Songs like "Falling free" or "Beautiful Killer" sounds Madonna 100%, I think it's not her voice, it's the way they use the filters on the studio.

I agree with this. The mixing of the vocal tracks are very important and can alter how she sounds. Mark "Spike" Stent did an amazing job, while Demo did not.

Guest bluejean

Listen to Like a Virgin, Love Spent, Like a Prayer or I'm a Sinner on that tour, she sounds very passionate to me.

Guest bluejean

4. Madonna has 'overused' her voice over the past few tours and there's a lot of wear and tear. It's natural. It's called doing your job. She may have vocal cord nodules, she may not.

5. Strawberry Bounce likes to rim unclean assholes.

Typical of Janet Jackson fans.

Regarding point #4, if she did have nodules I doubt she'd be able to make it through a tour like that.

What a ridiculous and ignorant topic.

1. It's not since ROL. It's since Evita and vocal coaching.

2. Women who have children will have a natural change in their voice due to the diaphragm position changing.

3. Men and women's voice will deepen and change as they get older.

:thumbsup: