Most 'artistic' Madonna songs of all time?

realityisalways

artistic
ɑːˈtɪstɪk/
adjective
  1. 1.
    having or revealing natural creative skill.

Which would you say are the ultimate Madonna songs in terms of displaying her full artistry and potential?

Which are her most riské/soul-bearing/no-holds-barred/creative and/or most powerful pieces?

Which are the songs that separate Madonna the popstar, from Madonna the artist?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I would say (in no particular order):

Secret Garden

Bedtime Story

Waiting

Skin

X-tatic Process

Love Tried to Welcome Me

Live to Tell

Words

Bad Girl

YES! Have you heard the production?

Yes the production is amazing, kinda cosmic and dreamy, it's weird how they could achieve a certain level of 'warmness' through electronic sounds.

It's even weirder that when I bought the ray of light album and played it for the first time I was thoroughly disappointed, I thought it was really boring, I was hoping for some Vogue type of bops somewhere in there :rotfl: . I was also very young at the time and wasn't able to appreciate the deepness and richness of the lyrical content and production.

Now it has become one of my favorite albums ever.

I think Madonna's most 'artistic' albums are Like a Prayer, Erotica and Ray of Light. With American Life being a close runner-up.

I'm just a bit sad I couldn't find a single track on her last three albums that I could honestly call artistic. Maybe 'Fallling Free', 'Voices' and 'Forbidden Love' (COADF). But wouldn't be fair to the rest of my list to have placed them next to them. I wish she could open herself up and explore more in the next album.

"artistic" can't be easily defined,certainly not by a dictionary....Her whole body of work is a testament to her artistry,obv.

What It Feels Like For A Girl - for the backward loops (which is the whole song).

Don't Tell Me - for the cord breaks.

Intervention - for the backing vocals.

Push - for the pulsating rhythm. <--- my second favorite M song of all time solely based on its artistic execution.

So many more......

Erotica.

Like, WHAT is that sound?

Its Spoken word poetry over a droning, hip-hop beat with Middle Eastern chanting in the background sung by Madonna, in character as a sultry mistress. What kind of MIND FUCK? :wow:

Completely unexpected, unparalleled, and original. It's more than a song, it's a moment. And yet it sounds so effortless & cool. No one else has ever or could ever.

Love Song

Act of Contrition

Like a Prayer

Erotica

Secret Garden

Where Life Begins

Waiting

Bedtime Story

Sanctuary

Drowned World / Substitute for Love

Mer Girl

Has to Be

Frozen

Shanti / Ashtangi

Cyberraga

Paradise (Not for Me)

Gone

American Life

Easy Ride

Isaac

Devil Wouldn't Recognise You

Is This Love

Voices

It's so Cool

Falling Free

Gang Bang

artistic
ɑːˈtɪstɪk/
adjective
  1. 1.
    having or revealing natural creative skill.

Which would you say are the ultimate Madonna songs in terms of displaying her full artistry and potential?

Which are her most riské/soul-bearing/no-holds-barred/creative and/or most powerful pieces?

Which are the songs that separate Madonna the popstar, from Madonna the artist?

She has many...and interestingly enough, they are often the album closers:

"Mer Girl"

"Secret Garden"

"Falling Free"

"Easy Ride"

I think the more commercial/pop aspects largely overshadow her greatness in this area, however decades from now when people actually take more time to absorb her contributions, I think her legendary status will only get stronger. She is a Grade A creative artist.