Immaculate mixes question.

nightcutter

Where the song had a 12" remix, Shep used that as the template for its version on The Immaculate Collection.

Except for Open Your Heart and La Isla Bonita. It's always puzzled me. Any thoughts?

Madonna always said she gets bored of songs quickly so I suppose that's why she put remix versions on the album. Also, give the public something different as so many people had the original versions. All the songs were remixed and reedited though so they could fit all the tracks on the album as well as for the Q sound format it was released in.

I think the 7" mixes were the basis for many of the IC versions, for example Borderline which removed the "keep on pushing me baby, don't you know you drive me crazy" bits.

I do like the Q-Sound mixes - by removing the old 80s mixing, they show that the songs were actually recorded very cleanly and at high quality, and it is the old 80s mixing style that gave the originals that muddy, compressed sound like most pop music from that time.

I think some of TIC versions have a more timeless sound than the originals (not in all cases). At least it wasn't an album of dance mixes in place of the originals- outside of LAP and EY, most of them are just have subtle tinkerings that casual fans probably wouldn't even pick up on.

I was more familiar with the Borderline TIC version. So when I first heard the original album, I was surprised to hear extra lines. But yes, I love the TIC versions. I think they add something else to the songs.

What I mean is that if the song had a counterpart 12"mix (nearly all of them) those songs had the 12" version effects added to them on TIC. But OYH and LIB didn't. Why?

I was more familiar with the Borderline TIC version. So when I first heard the original album, I was surprised to hear extra lines. But yes, I love the TIC versions. I think they add something else to the songs.

That was a flop fan moment for me, too! When I first heard the album version somewhere, I thought it was a demo with extra lyrics.

What I mean is that if the song had a counterpart 12"mix (nearly all of them) those songs had the 12" version effects added to them on TIC. But OYH and LIB didn't. Why?

Can you give some examples of these 12" version effects?

Yeah they used the remixes, however in some songs, they kinda scaled the "remix sounds" down. They used the remixes for Material Girl and Like a Virgin, but they scaled down the drums, which are much louder in the remixes found on the singles. They also used the dance remix of Papa too, but in an edited form.

Slightly off-topic, but here is an interesting forum post on the versions/mixes of each song that actually appeared on the singles, and their availability on CD: http://top40musiconcd.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=84

I would really love a compilation featuring all these original 7"/single/radio versions in chronological order (and not fake re-created edits like on the Celebration album).

That was a flop fan moment for me, too! When I first heard the album version somewhere, I thought it was a demo with extra lyrics.

Can you give some examples of these 12" version effects?

Yes! I also was originally familiar more to EY's opening ba-ba-ba-baby!!

So when I heard the other two versions, I was like "where's my baby?"

They were Blond Ambitioned.

Very true. It was like a soundtrack to ToD. There was a sticker on the release stating something similar.

^ It is fantastic, and I realize the looped ending was in keeping with the Blond Ambition arrangement, but I miss the orgasmic finale the original dance mix radio edit had using the full vocals from the original version:

http://youtu.be/C7w36xIK6ek

(around 3:57 and especially starting at 4:32)

This part wasn't included on the the full 12" dance mix either. I really miss those vocals she does at the end whenever I have TIC on.

Very true. It was like a soundtrack to ToD. There was a sticker on the release stating something similar.

That was funny when they started putting that sticker on the cd. It had already been out for 6 months before TOD was released.

I'm glad that TIC had those mixes, it updated the sound of some of the older tracks and made JML and RM seemlessly blend in as "future hits" on a "greatest hits".

The versions of Like A Prayer & Express Yourself alone made buying the Immaculate Collection worth buying. Even though I didn't care for the shortening of some songs (Like A Virgin, Crazy For You), I understood it was to make room for other songs. I played the HELL out of all my copies of TIC. That said. I LOATHE the mix of "Into The Groove" that was included. The piano worked GREAT on the You Can Dance album but, as a 7" edit, it just did not work. I remember being so pissed that the original version wasn't used. I had been wanting that mix on CD forever. Oh well. At least I was able to buy it on those yellow import CD's in 1994.

The versions of Like A Prayer & Express Yourself alone made buying the Immaculate Collection worth buying. Even though I didn't care for the shortening of some songs (Like A Virgin, Crazy For You), I understood it was to make room for other songs. I played the HELL out of all my copies of TIC. That said. I LOATHE the mix of "Into The Groove" that was included. The piano worked GREAT on the You Can Dance album but, as a 7" edit, it just did not work. I remember being so pissed that the original version wasn't used. I had been wanting that mix on CD forever. Oh well. At least I was able to buy it on those yellow import CD's in 1994.

I agree about Into the Groove, but to have those remixes in cd quality (at the time) felt like a miracle! lol

Guest Madomination

Actually, La Isla Bonita is also patterned about the 12" remix. In the extended remix, near the end, Madonna sang the chorus three times, and the same thing on the Immaculate Collection as well. I think Open Your Heart is also based on the extended version but less obvious given the Q Sound treatment it got.

I love rescue me!

I've been listening to it on repeat the last couple days, along with the TIC mixes of LAP and EY. And the LAP album mixed in for good measure. But I keep hitting repeat on Rescue Me the most!

Is there an actual Q sound mix of rescue me?

I know the q sound mix for Justify My Love was ont he single I've always wondered if one existed for Rescue me.

Is there an actual Q sound mix of rescue me?

I know the q sound mix for Justify My Love was ont he single I've always wondered if one existed for Rescue me.

The whole album is In Q sound so the album version?