Rose McGowan and Dee Dee from Dum Dum Girls talks about Madonna

MerGirl

Rose McGowan:

What was your first musical obsession?
The Ink Spots. Nobody's gonna know who the hell I'm talking about, but [sings in a smooth, '30s-ballad style] "I don't want to set the world on fire....' That kind of a thing. Also, I became super obsessed with, duh, Madonna. She was very inspirational. She was homeless at one point, as was I, and I remember listening to her and thinking, 'She could do it!' I like strong women.

When were you homeless?
When I was 13. It was awesome. [Laughs.] Just kidding. I was taken in by transgenders and a transvestite — that part was dope.

What else about Madonna inspired you?
She gets knocked for her voice, but if you try to do scales and you go up octaves, you crack at a certain point and then you skip higher — she sings in that weird sweet spot, and I find that not a lot of people do her at karaoke because of that. Also, unlike Gaga, whose look changes every day, Madonna is quite smart with her image — it's a new look for each period of her life. You need to keep evolving with your fans, because if you're different every time you leave the door, where do you go? What's left? Do you dress like a businesswoman?

Dee Dee:

Madonna: The Immaculate Collection

Madonna was my first big pop icon. Everything about her was so cool. I was raised Catholic, which was weird. My mom was Catholic and my dad was agnostic, and Catholicism was a really big deal to her even though she was very liberal. I spent maybe the first eight years of my life thinking that everyone went to church. When I was 10 I developed strong friendships with girls who weren’t Catholic—one of them was Mormon, one was Jewish—and I started realizing that it’s a choice.

I really liked the subversive stuff that Madonna would do visually and lyrically. My parents were pretty conservative in terms of looks, but I definitely tried to push the envelope in that direction, as age-appropriately as I could, in middle school. But I also was a goody two-shoes, so I didn't really create any waves. I was into dancing from a really young age—I danced Modern and Jazz for years, and I probably danced to all of the songs off that album.

http://pitchfork.com/features/5-10-15-20/9316-dum-dum-girls/

Madonna fan or not, I will never not love Rose McGowan! That woman is beyond fabulous.

It was so cute when the MDNA tour was in LA she was there tweeting pics all night long, total fangirl.

So cool! Glad they love Madonna! I actually just got their new record. It's really good. It has a cool 80's vibe sort of like the Cure and Siouxsie. Everyone should check it out.

Rose McGowan:

She gets knocked for her voice, but if you try to do scales and you go up octaves, you crack at a certain point and then you skip higher — she sings in that weird sweet spot, and I find that not a lot of people do her at karaoke because of that. Also, unlike Gaga, whose look changes every day, Madonna is quite smart with her image — it's a new look for each period of her life. You need to keep evolving with your fans, because if you're different every time you leave the door, where do you go? What's left? Do you dress like a businesswoman?

:thumbsup:

Love it. And Rose is right about M's voice. I've noticed that nobody can really imitate her singing voice like they can with others. It's completely unique.

Exactly!

Most pop melodies contain 4 notes in total

Ask anybody else to sing ROL or DW and it's not easy at all

Mer Girl, thank you so much for posting some positive words from real Madonna celebrity fans. I have always loved Rose right from Scream and Jawbreaker and she was also my favourite Charmed one -Paige.

I loved Paige too! Esp her 1st season

Mer Girl, thank you so much for posting some positive words from real Madonna celebrity fans. I have always loved Rose right from Scream and Jawbreaker and she was also my favourite Charmed one -Paige.

I loved sharing something positive after all the negativity lately <3

Rose McGowan:

What was your first musical obsession?

The Ink Spots. Nobody's gonna know who the hell I'm talking about, but [sings in a smooth, '30s-ballad style] "I don't want to set the world on fire....' That kind of a thing. Also, I became super obsessed with, duh, Madonna. She was very inspirational. She was homeless at one point, as was I, and I remember listening to her and thinking, 'She could do it!' I like strong women.

When were you homeless?

When I was 13. It was awesome. [Laughs.] Just kidding. I was taken in by transgenders and a transvestite — that part was dope.

Dee Dee:

Madonna: The Immaculate Collection

Madonna was my first big pop icon. Everything about her was so cool. I was raised Catholic, which was weird. My mom was Catholic and my dad was agnostic, and Catholicism was a really big deal to her even though she was very liberal. I spent maybe the first eight years of my life thinking that everyone went to church. When I was 10 I developed strong friendships with girls who weren’t Catholic—one of them was Mormon, one was Jewish—and I started realizing that it’s a choice.

I really liked the subversive stuff that Madonna would do visually and lyrically. My parents were pretty conservative in terms of looks, but I definitely tried to push the envelope in that direction, as age-appropriately as I could, in middle school. But I also was a goody two-shoes, so I didn't really create any waves. I was into dancing from a really young age—I danced Modern and Jazz for years, and I probably danced to all of the songs off that album.

http://pitchfork.com/features/5-10-15-20/9316-dum-dum-girls/

Dum Dum Girls are fabulous! <3 <3

Rose McGowan is SO DAMN AMAZING. I loved her in Jawbreaker, Devil in The Flesh, Nip Tuck and Charmed. And the fact that she's a big Madonna fan is even more awesome, i'm not surprised she got great taste.

I love that she praised Madonna's voice. And the little Gaga dig was great as well :chuckle:

Guest Not4Pussies

you know who else loved madonna the same way rose does? brittany murphy. she was a huge fan of hers. i remember seeing brittany at one of the LA shows for CT. she was so tiny and wearing her Madonna shirt proudly.

you know who else loved madonna the same way rose does? brittany murphy. she was a huge fan of hers. i remember seeing brittany at one of the LA shows for CT. she was so tiny and wearing her Madonna shirt proudly.

I miss Brittany :(

This song is so great

Isn't there a video of Brittany at the premiere of one of her movies that Madonna assisted? The interviewer was telling her about that and she was SO excited. Can anyone find it?