"I Tried To Be A Good Girl. I Tried To Be Your Wife..."

Guest Not4Pussies

Yeah but sometimes when writing a song it's powerful to capture the moment. That doesn't make it literal. Or more accurately it doesn't make it a comprehensive picture. It's dangerous to take one song capturing what could be one tiny moment and turning it I to a lifetime of explanation. I'm not denying that there's truth in the song but it's like taking one still frame from a film and developing a film synopsis from it...

Yeah but sometimes when writing a song it's powerful to capture the moment. That doesn't make it literal. Or more accurately it doesn't make it a comprehensive picture. It's dangerous to take one song capturing what could be one tiny moment and turning it I to a lifetime of explanation. I'm not denying that there's truth in the song but it's like taking one still frame from a film and developing a film synopsis from it...

I don't think IDGA is reflective of how she felt during the Ritchie years, but more about how she felt after them. I'm sure she was content with being the woman Guy might've wanted her to be at the time, but after the divorce, she was like "What was it for?" I've heard complaints of a divorced mother many times before, so it all seems plausible imo.

There have been many great points made in this topic. Naturally, I don't know what Madonna was feeling but through experience, I know that people do change and compromise when they are in love and especially when they are married. That is not the sign of weakness that people think it is either, without some sort of compromise, relationships would never work. I also remember an interview that Madonna did with Molly Meldrum in 1985 discussing her marriage to Sean Penn and she said being in love makes you less selfish and you have to think of the other person and what they feel. In general, people are always more carefree to do whatever they want when they are single.

Guest Not4Pussies

You just had to go there. :1251:

*leaves thread before another US vs. UK debate*

I'm not starting anything. People shouldnt take things personal just like I didn't take some of the bitchy comments personal.

There have been many great points made in this topic. Naturally, I don't know what Madonna was feeling but through experience, I know that people do change and compromise when they are in love and especially when they are married. That is not the sign of weakness that people think it is either, without some sort of compromise, relationships would never work. I also remember an interview that Madonna did with Molly Meldrum in 1985 discussing her marriage to Sean Penn and she said being in love makes you less selfish and you have to think of the other person and what they feel. In general, people are always more carefree to do whatever they want when they are single.

Great points as always, Jan. :thumbsup:

I'm not starting anything. People shouldnt take things personal just like I didn't take some of the bitchy comments personal.

Just kiddin, papito. Calm down.

I don't think it's any of my business, so I won't comment on Madonna's personal life, but I doubt that "diminishing her light" had anything to do with her work. I mean, while she was married to Guy Ritchie, she did the following:

- WIFLFAG video, directed by Ritchie, which got banned on MTV & VH1 for violent content

- WIFLFAG remix interlude during the Drowned World Tour

- American Life music video

- 2003 MTV VMA performance w/Britney & Christina

- Reinvention Tour (American Life performance, political statements, etc.)

- Live to Tell performance from the Confessions Tour

- Sorry remix interlude from the Confessions Tour

My point is, she never stopped being controversial, political, or provocative. So, that leads me to believe that whatever she's referring to in that lyric was about stuff that happened offstage, in her private life.

Edited by MrMojoRisin

I was reading the posts here & I realized that I really enjoyed her creative output during the so called Ritchie years. Actually, the eras for Music, AL, & COAF are my favorites from her. I also noticed she looked happier & was almost glowing in many of the photos from those years. I always had the impression she really cherished the stability and love she received from their relationship, but what WTF do I know

Guest Rachelle of London

Maybe I'm desensitised but I dont see how the MDNA era was controversial at all. Everything we had seen before

Maybe I'm desensitised but I dont see how the MDNA era was controversial at all. Everything we had seen before

I think a lot of these opinions come from how you experience Madonna. I don't read media output on the whole but American media turns people into caricatures. It's really black and white and everything is simplified into a sound bite. Maybe that's why Americans remember things different to how they actually happened. Oh and I wasn't being bitchy n4p. :lol::kiss2:

She likes playing roles and for a while she enjoyed the lady of the manor role, chicken feeding included.

But it was said back in the day that Guy told her to cover up and that he didn't like COADF because it was too gay. Maybe in a unconcious way she tried to please him, it's very normal to try to please the person you love, because you fear you can lose his love. And she knew it deep inside and later she let herself free.

Guest Rachelle of London

I think all husbands want their wives to cover up, unless they want a trophy wife. Outside of work Madonna is always covered up, even on the beach looool.

However, I think Guy was extremely proud of her and would attend red carpet events with her in revealing dresses. Wasnt Guys favourite era of Madonna's "Erotica" anyway?

So many things about the marriage are about what was said in tabloids... we don't really know what really happened. A days ago i remembered when it was said that he called Madonna "it" and "old" and "ugly" and it made me real sad. Then, a nanosecond later i remembered that it was said in a tabloid, so probably is not true.

My point is, she never stopped being controversial, political, or provocative. So, that leads me to believe that whatever she's referring to in that lyric was about stuff that happened offstage, in her private life.

I agree with this, I don't think it had much to do with her work, it was more about what happened on a personal level. It's interesting how MDNA is way more about her marriage than HC ever was. Songs like Love Spent goes to show how deeply affected she still is by the whole thing, or was when she made the album. "Would you have married me if I were poor?", I think this is one of her biggest fears, to be taken advantage of and not be loved for who she truly is. Sure you could say they are just lyrics and have nothing to do with her, but I'm inclined to believe otherwise tho.

I think all husbands want their wives to cover up, unless they want a trophy wife. Outside of work Madonna is always covered up, even on the beach looool.

However, I think Guy was extremely proud of her and would attend red carpet events with her in revealing dresses. Wasnt Guys favourite era of Madonna's "Erotica" anyway?

:clap: The proof is in the pudding as they say.

I don't know who is responsible (i tend to believe it was Madonna herself ) but this is unforgivable :

FUCKING POOL SANDALS !

la_catalina_boat1.jpg

:lol: I love the coordination. The thing is...the clothes may not be my taste but the photograph and the moment itself is beautiful.

Guest Rachelle of London

I preferred the Ritchie years to be honest. I think a lot of this is just American sour grapes that she went to live in England.

But she lived in England way before she met Guy. In fact ever since Evita she's had a base here, and obvs before Guy there was Andy bird.

Andy Bird! I had totally forgotten about Andy Bird!!!!

madonnas-past-lovers--1224066596-5-0.jpg

I wonder why she didn't give a chance to Carlos León? I don't recall some romance there, just that he was the father of her child. And he seems to be a good guy.

Guest Rachelle of London

The pictures of Madonna and Carlos are so cute. It seems they were so in love at that point in time but then it fizzled out. There are pics of them at some event and they can't keep their hands off one another. Also Evita must've got in the way.

Ahhh I love Carlos.

Me too. He's been such a gentleman all these years, not a single word about Madonna and always there whenever Lola goes to visit. I wonder if Lola and Carlos see each other frequently. It's such a nice thing that they meet usually without any press.

Guest Rachelle of London

It seems they do. Quite a few of the paparaZi shots Lola walking in NYC she is with Carlos and his wife. I even think Madonna sees Carlos a lot. He attended a few of the WE events and MDNA shows, and doesn't she occasionally work out with him?

Ahh Ms got a good baby daddy!

Me too. He's been such a gentleman all these years, not a single word about Madonna and always there whenever Lola goes to visit. I wonder if Lola and Carlos see each other frequently. It's such a nice thing that they meet usually without any press.

She sees him all of the time. She also went to his recent wedding and he was at her performance of Grease.

Madonna also has commented on how much she wants both Rocco and David to spend time with Guy Ritchie. She has a wonderful attitude with wanting her children to have a great relationship with their fathers.

Guest Rachelle of London

Oh yes. Rocco and David visit their Dad every two weeks don't they. Following Rocco on Instagram it's clear how often he's in London.