Is American Life M's first real Flop Album?

mad4mad2

it was a flop -commercially.

...due to the wrong single choices + the album masterings...

according to the rumours:

M&F was an acoustic track but it was remixed.. i'd prefer the acoustic version...

NKM sounds like an unfinished demo version... very weak.

she really should have release 2 more singles... okay, NF was a single but without a music video i can't count it as single :D

American Life

Hollywood

Love Profusion

Nothing Fails

Intervention

I remember even the editor of Billboard magazine at that time or one of their writers was praising the album when it was being attacked,and he personally said he wanted Intervention released as a single.

I could see M&F being acoustic,the RIT version was amazing,definitely made me love the song more

I remember even the editor of Billboard magazine at that time or one of their writers was praising the album when it was being attacked,and he personally said he wanted Intervention released as a single.

I could see M&F being acoustic,the RIT version was amazing,definitely made me love the song more

"Intervention" was by far the best song on that album for single release. Maybe the whole project would have gone better if it had been the lead single. After "ROL" and "Music," she had such goodwill with the general public and radio heading into this project -- a good first single from the album would have rewritten her entire career.

RIT "Mother and Father" is the definitive version of that song.

I think Madonna sometimes gets too caught up with a particular image, and runs through with it as the whole look of the album, without stopping to think about the whole sound. AL really suffered with that. The album was, deep, personal, there was fear and anxiety there. But she insisted on the war theme, and a very direct, in-your-face one, rather than going less explicit. The public gets divisive when she goes too explicit. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't. Here it didn't.

I think the same happened with RH but in a different way. Her idea of rebeliousness was/is, sometimes, borderline teenager (too by-the-numbers "rebel"). And at others, it's brilliant.

If an album that peaks at #1 or #2 across the planet is a "flop", then God help us when Madonna releases a studio album that doesn't even reach the Top 10.....

I think Ray of Light is her biggest flop. She didn't even reach the number one position on Billboard 200 with this biggest flop of her career. Should open a thread about this flop in the trash bin forum.