Is American Life M's first real Flop Album?

mad4mad2

Erotica was considered a commercial flop at the time. At least that was the perception. If you want to go by actual financials, it still made money for Warner so it wasn't like a box office bomb that puts a studio in the red. I am pretty sure American Life made Warner money too, but it wasn't much considering how high her record advance was.

MDNA is probably the only album that didn't make any money. 1.8 million sold after a $17-20 million advance? Granted, she had a 360-deal that would compensate for the loss on the advance, but strictly speaking, that's probably her truest flop.

^It would be all configurations.

AL performed just as bad compared to the previous album as Erotica did. But, Erotica had legs- a year on the Billboard 200, compared to just 14 weeks for AL- and multiple hits (if we're talking about USA; the AL singles, while they didn't set the world on fire, performed better outside the USA).

Guest bluejean

No. I think Erotica was a flop. There was a lot of expectation, hype and promotion for that album and the sales were particularly underwhelming in comparison.

American Life appears a bigger flop though imo because it didn't even produce any hits in the US and the reviews weren't great. But it's all very subjective, there is no definite answer to these questions. I think fan perception also comes into play when we talk about flops so one could argue Hard Candy is her biggest flop in that sense because so many fans hated it. Erotica is mainly loved by fans.

Guest bluejean

Erotica did not get the best reviews, even Michael Rosenblatt didn't like it

Didn't it? I wonder how much that had to do with the music.

I don't think it had anything to do with the music, but just cause it had Madonnas name attached.

I was watching her behind the music special awhile ago, and during the erotica special, michael Rosenblatt, the guy who basically discovered madonna, came on to say that Madonna wasn't producing her best work at the time, and that it wasn't just his opinion, but the majority if everyone else. And I was just like, are you fucking kidding me? Did you ever even listen to the album? I don't think any of those people at the time gave the album a chance. They just wanted to rip m to shreds cause she was taking her clothes off.

Now the album has been reevaluated and reviewed by many sites and it's now somewhat regarded as a classis, as it should be tbqh!!

I think AL suffered because America wasn't ready to see the Material Girl bury her old persona the way she did with that album. The beats are a bit jarring, the sounds are disjointed, flowing from electro to folk. As amazing as the album is for me, I can see how people might no be completely into it instantly. Pop music's all about instant gratification, something AL's not. Same goes for Erotica, IMO.

A big flop can also be Hard Candy, as bluejean said, since that album was obviously conceived to ignite American audiences interest, and it didn't. So it all is very subjective, I think.

I think AL suffered because America wasn't ready to see the Material Girl bury her old persona the way she did with that album.

I don't think America was ready to hear a woman rapping about nannies and soy lattes and feeling super dooper.

I don't think America was ready to hear a woman rapping about nannies and soy lattes and feeling super dooper.

LOL :laugh: Forgot about that too.

hmmmmm that is not true Die another day was a top 10 hit in America.

I don't really consider that an American Life single since it was released outside of that project, but I guess you are right if you want to look at it that way.

Hmmm. So I guess Madonna has yet to release an album in America that hasn't produced a top ten hit. Go Madge! :lol:

Guest gang bang

Erotica has sold over 6,000,000 , I don t consider it flop , but yes American life was a flop ..an álbum less than 5 m at that time was a flop , Hard Candy was decent , as well MDNA , considering the industry in 2008 and 2012

I consider American life , the only Madonna s flop

I think AL suffered because America wasn't ready to see the Material Girl bury her old persona the way she did with that album. The beats are a bit jarring, the sounds are disjointed, flowing from electro to folk. As amazing as the album is for me, I can see how people might no be completely into it instantly. Pop music's all about instant gratification, something AL's not. Same goes for Erotica, IMO.

A big flop can also be Hard Candy, as bluejean said, since that album was obviously conceived to ignite American audiences interest, and it didn't. So it all is very subjective, I think.

Hard Candy got great reviews in US.

It spanned her longest Top 10 hit ever, too.

American Life isn't one of Madonna's more commercial albums,but I think it would have done better if different singles had been chosen.Let's face it,"Hollywood" was a boring single.They should have chosen "Nobody Knows Me" instead,and then follow it up with "Love Profusion".

Erotica has sold over 6,000,000 , I don t consider it flop , but yes American life was a flop ..an álbum less than 5 m at that time was a flop , Hard Candy was decent , as well MDNA , considering the industry in 2008 and 2012

I consider American life , the only Madonna s flop

This is probably the closest to the truth.

But AL wasnt a flop, it underperformed.

She doesnt have any flops, yet.

HC and MDNA are definitely not flops, at all.

American Life isn't one of Madonna's more commercial albums,but I think it would have done better if different singles had been chosen.Let's face it,"Hollywood" was a boring single.They should have chosen "Nobody Knows Me" instead,and then follow it up with "Love Profusion".

Er..NO.

But Nothing Fails and Intervention should have been singles.

AND:

France Platinum[81] 300,000

Er..NO.

But Nothing Fails and Intervention should have been singles.

I thought "Nothing Fails" was a single!

One of the problems with AL (the album) is that there aren't many potential singles on the album.I think "Nobody Knows Me" and "Love Profusion" had the best chance of reaching a major audience and becoming hits.

I consider American Life a total flop - M doesn't perform the lead single, it even failed to make Celebration. The whole project was desperate after the singles flopped with The Gap campaign and MATM etc, the Re-Invention tour was created to clean up the mess hence the advertising focused on M performing the hits.

MDNA was a great album and underperformed simply because not many people knew it existed due to "non-traditional promo"

I thought "Nothing Fails" was a single!

One of the problems with AL (the album) is that there aren't many potential singles on the album.I think "Nobody Knows Me" and "Love Profusion" had the best chance of reaching a major audience and becoming hits.

NF was not a proper single.

It should have been the 1st or 2nd single with a story video.

LP was a single and it flopped.