Would you care if she never had another "big hit"?

Apples388

I wish this was written later this week to include Gaga's flop sales for her massively overhyped album :chuckle:

Katy Perry’s ‘Prism’ a Good Example of How Albums Don’t Work Anymore

The album is dying in front of our very eyes.

In other words, what kind of screwed up world do we live in where Katy Perry’s new album “Prism” sells only 287,000 copies in its debut? One in which everybody’s interested in the single, and no one’s got time to sit and hear your hour-plus statement.

This is not emotion, this is statistics. The shelf life of news is shorter than ever. The shelf life of art. … You blink and it’s done.

I’m fine with you preaching to the choir, making an album for your fans. You gotta go where you wanna go, do what you wanna do. But if your plan is to increase your audience, spread the word and make money, suddenly the album just isn’t working anymore. The youngsters are streaming singles and the oldsters are staying home.

How do I know? Elton’s album isn’t even in the top 50, and McCartney’s album barely broke 20,000 this week, and there wasn’t a better oldster hype than for these two projects. People just don’t want ’em.

So what’s the industry to do? Have a rethink.

In other words, hype doesn’t work.

No one had more hype than Miley Cyrus, but “Bangerz” didn’t even sell 45,000 copies in its fourth week of release. She can go on “SNL,” tweet her life away, but it’s not moving the needle. Lorde is selling as much as Miley without the benefit of scorched earth, proving quality music is as good as hype. But Lorde isn’t burning up the chart either.

We’ve turned into a nation of grazers. And the artist’s job is to constantly be at the smorgasbord. Not to deliver one big meal that is picked at and thrown away, but to constantly provide tantalizing bites to the public.

Media cannot be limited to the album release date. It must be a 24/7, 365-day-a-year effort. Same with creativity. If your track gets traction, more power to you. If it doesn’t, go back in the studio and make more. In other words, if you’re sitting at home bitching that you’re not making any money because the Internet stole your business, you’re RIGHT! There are so many diversions that no one’s got time for mediocre anymore.

If you’ve got a concept album, go ahead and record it. If you’re only interested in selling a little, be my guest. But if you want to penetrate the consciousness of a large group of people and grow the pie, an album isn’t working. Hell, it’s not even working as a revenue model!

Labels are no longer in the record business, they’re in the star business. How to maximize the revenue of an individual or band in as many media as possible, in as many ways as possible. Yes, while you were bitching about piracy, your whole business model disappeared.

You put out these albums, and in almost every case, the public moves on in a matter of WEEKS. A few bought it, they heard it, and they’re satisfied — and left waiting for years until you grace them with a new release. The rest of the public is just waiting for a hit single to burble, and if it does, they’ll tap their toes and snap their fi ngers and ask, “WHAT ELSE HAVE YOU GOT?” And what you’ve got had better be just as good as the hit.

No one wants album tracks anymore unless they’re every bit as satisfying as the hit.

So it’s not only classic rock acts who have stopped putting out albums; eventually, no one will do it. Oh, it won’t be soon, because artists think making albums is part of their DNA, going into the studio and making a 10-track statement.

But that’s like saying typewriters have to be an office fixture. And you can’t post online unless you write in multiple paragraphs. And texting must be abandoned because it’s not in-depth enough.

The goal of a musician is to be AHEAD of the audience. Right now everybody’s behind.

So true

I wish this was written later this week to include Gaga's flop sales for her massively overhyped album :chuckle:

Katy Perry’s ‘Prism’ a Good Example of How Albums Don’t Work Anymore

The album is dying in front of our very eyes.

In other words, what kind of screwed up world do we live in where Katy Perry’s new album “Prism” sells only 287,000 copies in its debut? One in which everybody’s interested in the single, and no one’s got time to sit and hear your hour-plus statement.

This is not emotion, this is statistics. The shelf life of news is shorter than ever. The shelf life of art. … You blink and it’s done.

I’m fine with you preaching to the choir, making an album for your fans. You gotta go where you wanna go, do what you wanna do. But if your plan is to increase your audience, spread the word and make money, suddenly the album just isn’t working anymore. The youngsters are streaming singles and the oldsters are staying home.

How do I know? Elton’s album isn’t even in the top 50, and McCartney’s album barely broke 20,000 this week, and there wasn’t a better oldster hype than for these two projects. People just don’t want ’em.

So what’s the industry to do? Have a rethink.

In other words, hype doesn’t work.

No one had more hype than Miley Cyrus, but “Bangerz” didn’t even sell 45,000 copies in its fourth week of release. She can go on “SNL,” tweet her life away, but it’s not moving the needle. Lorde is selling as much as Miley without the benefit of scorched earth, proving quality music is as good as hype. But Lorde isn’t burning up the chart either.

We’ve turned into a nation of grazers. And the artist’s job is to constantly be at the smorgasbord. Not to deliver one big meal that is picked at and thrown away, but to constantly provide tantalizing bites to the public.

Media cannot be limited to the album release date. It must be a 24/7, 365-day-a-year effort. Same with creativity. If your track gets traction, more power to you. If it doesn’t, go back in the studio and make more. In other words, if you’re sitting at home bitching that you’re not making any money because the Internet stole your business, you’re RIGHT! There are so many diversions that no one’s got time for mediocre anymore.

If you’ve got a concept album, go ahead and record it. If you’re only interested in selling a little, be my guest. But if you want to penetrate the consciousness of a large group of people and grow the pie, an album isn’t working. Hell, it’s not even working as a revenue model!

Labels are no longer in the record business, they’re in the star business. How to maximize the revenue of an individual or band in as many media as possible, in as many ways as possible. Yes, while you were bitching about piracy, your whole business model disappeared.

You put out these albums, and in almost every case, the public moves on in a matter of WEEKS. A few bought it, they heard it, and they’re satisfied — and left waiting for years until you grace them with a new release. The rest of the public is just waiting for a hit single to burble, and if it does, they’ll tap their toes and snap their fi ngers and ask, “WHAT ELSE HAVE YOU GOT?” And what you’ve got had better be just as good as the hit.

No one wants album tracks anymore unless they’re every bit as satisfying as the hit.

So it’s not only classic rock acts who have stopped putting out albums; eventually, no one will do it. Oh, it won’t be soon, because artists think making albums is part of their DNA, going into the studio and making a 10-track statement.

But that’s like saying typewriters have to be an office fixture. And you can’t post online unless you write in multiple paragraphs. And texting must be abandoned because it’s not in-depth enough.

The goal of a musician is to be AHEAD of the audience. Right now everybody’s behind.

This makes no sense. Especially because the biggest selling artist from this decade: ADELE, sells loads and loads of albums. It's not the album what is dying, it's the record companies that don't have a clue about marketing artists anymore and are relying on stupid chicks with high heels that can't sing a note.

This makes no sense. Especially because the biggest selling artist from this decade: ADELE, sells loads and loads of albums. It's not the album what is dying, it's the record companies that don't have a clue about marketing artists anymore and are relying on stupid chicks with high heels that can't sing a note.

A la Kylie Minogue?

Guest bluejean

I don't think that that's entirely true. I think it's true in the case of shit artists who make throw away albums and rely on perfume sales and tabloid PR to make money. Katy Perry and Rihanna being prime examples. But if a band or real artist release a real album people buy it and they listen to it and enjoy it. Of course they don't sell as well as they use to but why would anyone expect Katy Perry to shift albums. Just listen to her album and you'll know why its not selling.

But Adele is the exception from the rule. For whatever reason the album managed to go on and on and on. You know, like the heart from the Titanic. I have always said 21 had this universal attraction at the time it was released. It's a depressing album at a depressing time hence the worldwide economic crises. And of course almost everone can relate to being left by a lover. That formula (intended or not) worked. I would even go so far to say that the fact she is a voluminous girl worked too. At a different, happier time, this kind of album would have flopped. It's the typical "at the right place at the right time". It made her everybodies darling. Getting all the major awards. Culminating in an Oscar for Skyfall. Undeserved from my perspective as it should have never been eligable to be nominated for Best ORGINAL Song considering the song consists heavily of arrangements that are familiar from Bond scores or songs. Original? Don't know. And I would like to question if she manages to have another album that sells that much. Especially if she changes her tune. Now that she has a baby and a man on her side. So continue singing about the tragedies of life might come across a little bit hypocritical. We'll see.

numbers may be low, but these are 2012 world charts. And some artists there aren't about the singles:

01.jpgAdele - 21
XL Recordings - 9,2 million copies

02.jpgTaylor Swift - Red
Big Machine - 3,8 million copies

03.jpgOne Direction - Up All Night
Syco Music - 3,6 million copies

04.jpgLana Del Rey - Born To Die
Stranger / Interscope - 2,9 million copies

05.jpgOne Direction - Take Me Home
Syco Music - 2,9 million copies

06.jpgMumford & Sons - Babel
Glass Note / Island - 2,7 million copies

07.jpgPink - The Truth About Love
RCA - 2,4 million copies

08.jpgJustin Bieber - Believe
Island / Def Jam - 2,3 million copies

09.jpgColdplay - Mylo Xyloto
Parlophone / Capitol - 2,2 million copies

10.jpgMaroon 5 - Overexposed
A&M / Octone - 2,0 million copies

To some degree, at least in the USA and other territories, there probably will be some level of interest (sales-wise, anyways) in the first single from an album, at least but, that won't last for years and years to come. She's 55, so can't expect the hits to keep on comin'.

I'm past being all that concerned, especially with these newer gals racking up chart entries/hits at a rapid pace, either because of the digital age (i.e. Taylor Swfit) or featurings (i.e. Rihanna).

numbers may be low, but these are 2012 world charts. And some artists there aren't about the singles:

01.jpgAdele - 21

XL Recordings - 9,2 million copies

02.jpgTaylor Swift - Red

Big Machine - 3,8 million copies

03.jpgOne Direction - Up All Night

Syco Music - 3,6 million copies

04.jpgLana Del Rey - Born To Die

Stranger / Interscope - 2,9 million copies

05.jpgOne Direction - Take Me Home

Syco Music - 2,9 million copies

06.jpgMumford & Sons - Babel

Glass Note / Island - 2,7 million copies

07.jpgPink - The Truth About Love

RCA - 2,4 million copies

08.jpgJustin Bieber - Believe

Island / Def Jam - 2,3 million copies

09.jpgColdplay - Mylo Xyloto

Parlophone / Capitol - 2,2 million copies

10.jpgMaroon 5 - Overexposed

A&M / Octone - 2,0 million copies

But the only truly impressive number there is Adele. The rest of those are normal for the time we are in, but Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift, One Direction.....they are the biggest "teen idols" out there right now and they are "only" shifting around 2.5-4 million WORLDWIDE. Think about what N'Sync, Britney and BSB were shifting at their peak. Justin Bieber's third studio album only sold 500,000 more than MDNA.....yet he's considered a huge success and Madonna is considered a "flop".

To some degree, at least in the USA and other territories, there probably will be some level of interest (sales-wise, anyways) in the first single from an album, at least but, that won't last for years and years to come. She's 55, so can't expect the hits to keep on comin'.

This is exactly why I say she should only release *one* single from her albums from now on.There is always interest and excitement for the first single and these songs typically reach the Top 10 ("Hung Up","4 Minutes","GMAYL" all went Top 10 in the US).Instead of releasing follow-up singles that will surely flop,just send a few exclusive club-only/promo singles to the clubs (with fresh remixes).This way,she can avoid playing the "chart game",which is a losing battle for her.

But that would be de demise in music in general, not only the albums. Singles are now 99c while just 5 years ago they were 3-5 euro each (8 euro for maxi cd), that's why more singles are sold nowadays and that's why some artist sell more singles than albums. Because albums are 9-12 euro each and some people don't bother. But there are other artists out there that are abou the albums and not the singles, for example MADONNA

This is exactly why I say she should only release *one* single from her albums from now on.There is always interest and excitement for the first single and these songs typically reach the Top 10 ("Hung Up","4 Minutes","GMAYL" all went Top 10 in the US).Instead of releasing follow-up singles that will surely flop,just send a few exclusive club-only/promo singles to the clubs (with fresh remixes).This way,she can avoid playing the "chart game",which is a losing battle for her.

NO! She should make at least 4 videos to be the most importan visual artist, no matter the charts. She's been lazy about the music video visuals for at least 7 years and that means that she's no longer a reference in terms of videoclips. For years and years a new Madonna video was an event

NO! She should make at least 4 videos to be the most importan visual artist, no matter the charts. She's been lazy about the music video visuals for at least 7 years and that means that she's no longer a reference in terms of videoclips. For years and years a new Madonna video was an event

True, I agree. Up till Nothing Really Matters all her videos were magnificent. Something happened after 2000, like she stopped caring. The most horrible period was COADF: perfect music with underwelming videos...

Yes, and she really made a big effort with GMAYL and GGW and what happened? That a silly clip from Rihanna got more views than a Madonna video. And that's because regular public (the one that makes a hit in YouTube) stopped caring about Madonna as video artist.

Remember when she premiered Erotica? And when she premiered Frozen? And when she premiered Music? Even when she premiered Hung Up there was big expectation. Sorry was lazy, GT was not up to her standards, Jump is a joke, 4 Minutes isn't what it should be, Give it To Me is another joke, Celebration is another lazy video... GMYL came and many people didn't care.

And i wonder why Madonna who relied so heavely on visuals from the very beginning (she really made MTV) stopped caring. She still loves visuals, because her tours are incredible, and she has directed a film. Then why thinking that putting on a blond wig and dancing in front of a chroma was enough to promote Jump?

And i wonder why Madonna who relied so heavely on visuals from the very beginning (she really made MTV) stopped caring. She still loves visuals, because her tours are incredible, and she has directed a film. Then why thinking that putting on a blond wig and dancing in front of a chroma was enough to promote Jump?

Actually I kind of like the Jump video (or does this have to do with the fact that I adore the song: probably one of my fav. M songs ever), but she had so many half assed videos post 2000 that it isnt funny:

Music: kind of cool, but its nothing like the ROL videos, its ok I guess;

DTM: cool video, love it;

WIFLFAG: her last great video;

DAD: not impressed, its just wasnt anything grand;

AL: what we got in the end was joke;

Hollywood: stylish, yet cheap;

Love Profusion: cute, yet cheap;

Hung Up: kind of good, but cheap;

Sorry: a pure trash, probably her worst video;

Get Together: wtf, is this a video?

Jump: cute, but cheap

4 minutes: its kind of there, not impressed;

Give It To Me: horrible and cheap

Miles Away: what the hech

Celebration: white wall? really? cheap, cheap, cheap

GMAYL: great video, first in years

GGW: really good, but its obviouslly on a tigh budget

TUTR: not many ideas there, but I like the feel and the retro Italian look. Again the budget was not what it should be for a Madonna video...

Agree that some of the videos have not been great since 2000, but she did definitely release some of my favorite ones since the Music album was released. JML and Nobody Knows Me had visually amazing videos, and the remixes for the songs were great.

I think any future singles need to definitely have better videos since she has some of the most iconic music videos of all time

What?? she had some great videos after 2000:

Hollywood: bliss for the eyes

Americal Life (original version): her last great video

Die Anotehr Day: major budget and nice original concept

Don't tell Me: cheap but totally iconic

and some of those 90's videos weren't that great to be honest:

Ray of Light: talking about cheap..

Beautiful Stranger: even cheaper

Drowned World: alright video, nothing special

It's obvious that the low cost of singles today is the reason they're more popular. Why buy the whole album unless you're purchasing the physical CD? Just download the singles as they become hits if you like them.

And that whole article about Katy Perry is silly. Even in the 90s she wouldn't have sold 10m. She's just not the kind of artist that has that kind of loyal obsessive fanbase. People "like" her. Maybe I'm wrong. But either way, 250K is nothing to scoff at. Prior to the late 90s, early 2000s, that kind of opening number would be celebrated.

Actually I kind of like the Jump video (or does this have to do with the fact that I adore the song: probably one of my fav. M songs ever), but she had so many half assed videos post 2000 that it isnt funny:

Music: kind of cool, but its nothing like the ROL videos, its ok I guess;

DTM: cool video, love it;

WIFLFAG: her last great video;

DAD: not impressed, its just wasnt anything grand;

AL: what we got in the end was joke;

Hollywood: stylish, yet cheap;

Love Profusion: cute, yet cheap;

Hung Up: kind of good, but cheap;

Sorry: a pure trash, probably her worst video;

Get Together: wtf, is this a video?

Jump: cute, but cheap

4 minutes: its kind of there, not impressed;

Give It To Me: horrible and cheap

Miles Away: what the hech

Celebration: white wall? really? cheap, cheap, cheap

GMAYL: great video, first in years

GGW: really good, but its obviouslly on a tigh budget

TUTR: not many ideas there, but I like the feel and the retro Italian look. Again the budget was not what it should be for a Madonna video...

You're bandying around the word "cheap" quite a bit here, don't you think? "Jump," "Give It 2 Me," "Celebration," etc. are definitely cheap - low budget, soundstage, etc. But "Hung Up" is not cheap looking at all. And it's gone down as one of her iconic, classic videos. "Sorry" definitely looked cheap in comparison. And I bet you "Love Profusion" was NOT cheap. CG animation is expensive. Her DRESS was cheap! :laugh:

But I don't think budget has anything to do with it. These days videos can be made really cheaply with digital video and effects. It's not just about money. It's about the idea/concept. I think that's where she's lacking recently. But I do think the MDNA videos were a step in the right direction.

Guest Not4Pussies

Guys remember the days where her 4th and 5th video releases had a high budget video? Oh Father, Rain, Human Nature. Damn even her 3rd video releases weren't low budget like they are now.

It's obvious that the low cost of singles today is the reason they're more popular. Why buy the whole album unless you're purchasing the physical CD? Just download the singles as they become hits if you like them.

And that whole article about Katy Perry is silly. Even in the 90s she wouldn't have sold 10m. She's just not the kind of artist that has that kind of loyal obsessive fanbase. People "like" her. Maybe I'm wrong. But either way, 250K is nothing to scoff at. Prior to the late 90s, early 2000s, that kind of opening number would be celebrated.

You're bandying around the word "cheap" quite a bit here, don't you think? "Jump," "Give It 2 Me," "Celebration," etc. are definitely cheap - low budget, soundstage, etc. But "Hung Up" is not cheap looking at all. And it's gone down as one of her iconic, classic videos. "Sorry" definitely looked cheap in comparison. And I bet you "Love Profusion" was NOT cheap. CG animation is expensive. Her DRESS was cheap! :laugh:

But I don't think budget has anything to do with it. These days videos can be made really cheaply with digital video and effects. It's not just about money. It's about the idea/concept. I think that's where she's lacking recently. But I do think the MDNA videos were a step in the right direction.

I'm sorry, but would 250k be nothing to scoff at 2 weeks ago before Artpop sales projections came in?? lol Not directed at you necessarily, but I'm starting to read in different places now how 250k REALLY isn't that bad (and it's not within context....I just wonder if people would say that if Madonna opened with those numbers) Katy is more of a singles artist so 250k for her isn't bad. However, 250k for a woman who is "the biggest pop star on the planet", promoted the album everywhere for 3 months, hyped her album for two years, has a hit single attached to it, released several songs pre-release, has discounts galore and has released the album right as peak sales season is kicking off then that is not so good.

I'm sorry, but would 250k be nothing to scoff at 2 weeks ago before Artpop sales projections came in?? lol Not directed at you necessarily, but I'm starting to read in different places now how 250k REALLY isn't that bad (and it's not within context....I just wonder if people would say that if Madonna opened with those numbers) Katy is more of a singles artist so 250k for her isn't bad. However, 250k for a woman who is "the biggest pop star on the planet", promoted the album everywhere for 3 months, hyped her album for two years, has a hit single attached to it, released several songs pre-release, has discounts galore and has released the album right as peak sales season is kicking off then that is not so good.

I see the relevance of Artpop, but I really have no interest in discussing Lady Gaga on here anymore. It's pointless. I was more so making the point that if you compare to, say, the Erotica era, opening with 250K wouldn't be so shabby. It's only since the teen-pop boom of the late '90s that first-week sales turned into a pissing contest. I was surprised by Katy's number after the longevity of her last album, but I was just trying to put it into perspective.