Ms most underrated songs

Ciccone's Cheeks

What I mean by underrated are songs that not only were huge #1s or top 10 etc..but also album tracks that def. were super single friendly and were actually spun on the radio (or non released in the States) yet they rarely get that all important AC/recurrent airplay (for whatever the reason) even though their sound and success from that time fits into their playlist.

IMO these are (by miles) the ones that instantly come to mind:

*Who's That Girl (a worldwide smash that's still catchy, doesn't sound that dated and is every bit as good if not better imo and others than La Isla Bonita). *The only factor/reasoning I could think of programmers would rather just play LIB which is from a much more successful *album* and doesnt have the stigma of a flop movie etc..)

Like A Virgin- as iconic as it is, over the last 5-10 yrs I hear almost every other song from the LAV album get repeat airplay (esp. Material Girl zzz) than this song that def. is in the top 5 of most game changing songs of the 80s and catapulted M into super-stardom. For me its just one big :?? Maybe just depends where you live?

Causing A Commotion- yes a very 80s sounding song and a mini me of ITG yet a huge, super catchy top 2 hit (again I think the lack of the love is due to the movie and overall 'impact'/just good for its time).

*Wheres The Party- was basically the Holiday of TB. Got lots of airplay and hands down shoulda been a single.

The Look Of Love- similar production and passion of Live To Tell. Just got f*cked over cause it wasnt released in the states.

Deeper and Deeper- instantly catchy, infectious safe single. I truly believe if this was the 1st single from Erotica (no Sex Book, movie, backlash etc etc..) Wouldve gone waay higher than #7 lol. The video while seedy wasnt 'Erotica' which in 1992 (like 50 yrs ago now) was simply what turned 70% of America against her overnight :#

Other instant shoulda been smashes:

**Gambler**

Beat. Stranger

Wild cards

Im iffy on how well American Pie wouldve done in America. It did so so in airplay but its a VERY American song beloved by their public sung by 'Madonna' lol 50/50 on this one.

Guest Rachelle of London

True Blue - UK no1, a radio hit, still gets airplay to this day, one of her most famous songs...it wasnt even on The Immaculate Collection

These are all "underrated" in one way or another (lack of airplay today or at the time, lack of fan love):

Angel

Dress You Up

Oh Father

Love Song

Keep It Together

Justify My Love

Rescue Me

This Used to Be My Playground
I'll Remember

Bedtime Story

You'll See

Nothing Really Matters

Hollywood

Hung Up

Sorry

Get Together

Jump

Miles Away

Turn Up the Radio

This Used to be My Playground is one of her most underrated to me. But there's quite a few of her songs that are criminally underrated. Hollywood and Love Profusion are others examples.

Burning Up

Angel - was overshadowed by Into the Groove and the previous LAV singles. It would've smashed hard if it had a video!

Oh Father - one of Madonna's best ballads! One of Madonna's best videos!

Rescue Me - This had smash written all over it! This was when Madonna was at her peak where everything she touched turned into gold. If only she had time to promote it...

Bad Girl

Human Nature - one of the best songs, if not the best song from Bedtime Stories. Beloved by Madonna, herself and by her fans.

I Want You - Too bad they were not able to release it as a single.

You'll See - one of Madonna's beloved but often forgotten hits.

Nothing Really Matters - It really is a tragedy that this song didn't do better on the charts

American Life (The album)

^ nice list, but RM was a huge hit at the time. the only reason is didn't go top 5 was because of the timing of the CD single release. the reason it probably seems like a lesser hit (and the reason i put it on my list) is because it's been practically ignored by radio (and madonna) post-1991.

"Angel" was also a pretty big radio hit on its own (did about as well as DYU), but again this seems to be more an issue of it not getting as much love in later years.

Also, I'm obviously talking about U.S. stats here. I don't know international stuff off the top of my head.

Candy Perfume Girl

True Blue

Love Makes The World Go Round

Angel

Jump

Intervention

X-Static Process (every jerk off Madonna critic should listen to this song.)

Impressive Instant

I Deserve It

Nobody's Perfect

In This Life

Forbidden Love 05

Let It Will Be

What Can You Lose

Give It 2 Me

Love Profusion

What It Feels Like For A Girl

Spanish Eyes

Dear Jessie

Why's It So Hard

Nothing Really Matters

Paradise (Not For Me)

Nobody Knows Me

Jimmy Jimmy (It's far down the line of being one of my favorite songs but it's good in a fifties song kinda way and it fits in the album perfectly. I actually think as an album, True Blue is very underrated.

Don't Stop (The lyrics are whatever but it just sounds so good when it comes on. Speaking from how it works on the album its on, it reminds of the break in Like A Prayer with Cherish. Its a lighten up moment.

I think my definition of 'underrated' is different than most of yours. I don't give a shit about airplay or charts. Never have. I'm more interested in what my fellow fans, i.e. you, think of Madonna's music. I want your opinions. They're worth more to me than what Billboard has to say. Whether we agree or disagree, it's just fun discovering people's ideas.

That said, I believe these songs are underrated:

Push (I definitely think this is one of her greatest songs ever written)

Incredible (I likey)

Celebration

Angel

Nobody's Perfect

Turn Up The Radio

Survival

...that's all I can think of right now...

I think my definition of 'underrated' is different than most of yours. I don't give a shit about airplay or charts. Never have. I'm more interested in what my fellow fans, i.e. you, think of Madonna's music. I want your opinions. They're worth more to me than what Billboard has to say. Whether we agree or disagree, it's just fun discovering people's ideas.

That said, I believe these songs are underrated:

Push (I definitely think this is one of her greatest songs ever written)

Incredible (I likey)

Celebration

Angel

Nobody's Perfect

Turn Up The Radio

Survival

...that's all I can think of right now...

I like all of those except Incredible and Celebration (though I do enjoy the remix).

Yes, I'm gonna beat this dead horse until there's nothing left but dust...

BEAUTIFUL KILLER

If ever there was a song that deserved a single release, it was this one. The greatest injustice of her entire career! :lol: Ok, I'm being dramatic, but I do kinda feel that way. This song is 100% everything that is superior and fantastic about a Madonna pop song. It had every element: classic vocals, a good beat, strings, drama, great lyrics, a catchy chorus, fantastic bridge... I love the way the melody of the verses just bounced and flowed right along with the beat. I could go on and on. :dramatic: Maybe I'm just way off base, but that song had SO much potential. It was so overlooked and underrated, in fact, that it wasn't even included on the regular album!!! Blasphemy!!

Angel

Spanish Eyes

Deeper and Deeper

Nobody's Perfect

Love Profusion

Guest SecretGarden
Something to Remember is one of Madonna's most underrated songs, especially in the fan community. It's one of her most well written and sung ballads, completely and utterly touching.

What is interesting to me about reading choices for most underrated songs-- there are so many great songs that M never performs live. Never heard several of my favorite songs even though I've seen five out of the last six tours! Her tours are the best anyway.

Burning Up

Over And Over

True Blue

Jimmy Jimmy

Causing A Commotion

Spotlight

Oh Father

Dear Jessie

I'm Going Bananas

Rescue Me

The whole EROTICA album

The whole BEDTIME STORIES album

Time Stood Still

The whole AMERICAN LIFE album

Sorry

Isaac

Push

Future Lovers

4 Minutes

Revolver

I'm A Sinner

B-Day Song

Something to Remember is one of Madonna's most underrated songs, especially in the fan community. It's one of her most well written and sung ballads, completely and utterly touching.

agree, it would have been a smash it if released instead of hanky panky