Rolling Stone: 50 Greatest Live Acts Right Now

HolidayGuy

As usual, it's a man's world- the highest-ranked solo female is at No. 28.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/50-greatest-live-acts-right-now-20130731#ixzz2ah5F5Yfq

50 Greatest Live Acts Right Now
The crowd-pleasing, club-wrecking, festival-killing road rulers
July 31, 2013

Who rules the road in 2013? To find out, Rolling Stone asked a panel of writers, industry figures and artists – from Lars Ulrich of Metallica to Brittany Howard of Alabama Shakes – to vote on their favorite live performers right now. To be eligible for the list, a performer must have toured within the last five years and not announced their retirement. So, from the Stones to Skrillex, from Gaga to Green Day, here they are – the 50 most crowd-pleasing, club-wrecking, festival-killing live acts right now.

1. Bruce Springsteen
2. Prince
3. The Rolling Stones
4. Arcade Fire
5. Neil Young
6. Jay Z
7. Radiohead
8. Jack White
9. Rage Against the Machine
10. My Morning Jacket
11. U2
12. Wilco
13. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
14. The Black Keys
15. Paul McCartney
16. Alabama Shakes
17. Nine Inch Nails
18. Metallica
19. The Roots
20. Kanye West
21. Red Hot Chili Peppers
22. Tom Waits
23. Pearl Jam
24. Dave Matthews Band
25. Phish
26. Leonard Cohen
27. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
28. Patti Smith
29. Muse

30. Madonna

Madonna sets the gold standard for pop tours, combining the precision of a Broadway spectacular with the theatricality of an action flick and the raunchiness of a burlesque show. She always sings live and dances her well-toned ass off, reinventing her catalog with goodies for every drag queen, soccer mom and tween in the house. "My first Madonna show was in 2006, and when she came out I started crying," says Sara Quin of Tegan and Sara. "She is truly the master of the pop-icon show."

Showstopper: "Like a Prayer" isn't in the set every tour, but when the Queen trots it out, it never fails to deliver pure ecstasy – no Molly required.

31. David Byrne
32. Sleigh Bells
33. Beyoncé
34. Foo Fighters
35. Bruno Mars
36. Florence and the Machine
37. The National
38. Queens of the Stone Age
39. Rush
40. Eric Church
41. Tame Impala
42. Skrillex
43. Mumford & Sons
44. Janelle Monáe
45. Lady Gaga
46. Tool
47. Sigur Rós
48. Green Day
49. Taylor Swift
50. Fiona Apple

The Voters:
Trey Anastasio, Phish; Irving Azoff, Azoff Music Mgmt.; Carrie Brownstein, Wild Flag; Cliff Burnstein, Q Prime Mgmt.; Coran Capshaw, Red Light Mgmt.; Jonathan Cohen, Music booker, Late Night With Jimmy Fallon; Alex Ebert, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros; Perry Farrell, Jane’s Addiction, Lollapalooza founder; Marc Geiger, William Morris Endeavor; Jim Glancy, The Bowery Presents; Christian Hoard, Rolling Stone; Brittany Howard, Alabama Shakes; Rick Krim, VH1; Jon Landau, Jon Landau Mgmt.; Alan Light, Author and journalist; Peter Mensch, Q Prime Mgmt.; John Moore, The Bowery Presents; Tom Morello, Rage Against the Machine; Sara Quin, Tegan and Sara; Tegan Quin, Tegan and Sara; Rob Sheffield, Rolling Stone; Patrick Stump, Fall Out Boy; Lars Ulrich, Metallica; Pete Wentz, Fall Out Boy

By Jon Dolan, Patrick Doyle, Caryn Ganz, Andy Greene, Will Hermes and Julian Ring

This list is unfair, it's like making a list of your favorite fruits and including potatoes.....you can't compare the spectacle Madonna provides next to live music shows such as Neil Young and Leonard Cohen....they are musicians, Madonna is a performer.

The artists I cited provide two very different forms of entertainment and would be hopeless if forced to switch places with one another. Madonna provides the grand mutli-sensory stage show that costs a shit-ton to produce whereas Young or Cohen could simply stroll out solo with just a guitar and provide a stellar concert.

Well, at least she's on the list and they say she sings live. Usually people write that she lip syncs the whole show which is not true. Nice to see Fiona Apple on there too. I went to her show and enjoyed it a lot. Although I don't like the music of some of those artists, I think they are all good live performers. The only person I don't understand why they are on there is Skrillex. He's not a live performer, he's a dj. To me that is not a live concert.

what a dumb list. she should be in the top 10 or top 5 at least. 1/2 of those acts shouldn't even be on the list! I like Jigga and Kim's baby daddy but they don't deserve higher rankings than Madonna get da fuck outta here with that shit! if they had more female voters in their panel (and who aren't GRITTY and RAW :1251:) i'm sure the rankings would look a lot different. at least the write-up for Madonna was nice! :sour:

Pathetic list. First female at no 28? Laughable.

Even more so when you look at some of the male performers/musicians they put before Patti and Madonna

Rolling Stone is like buzzfeed : only lists, lists, lists...soon they'll come up with lists of groceries

:chuckle:

Rolling Stones is turning into MTV (former music television) Reality Shows Inc

This list is unfair, it's like making a list of your favorite fruits and including potatoes.....you can't compare the spectacle Madonna provides next to live music shows such as Neil Young and Leonard

Cohen....they are musicians, Madonna is a performer.

The artists I cited provide two very different forms of entertainment and would be hopeless if forced to switch places with one another. Madonna provides the grand mutli-sensory stage show that costs a shit-ton to produce whereas Young or Cohen could simply stroll out solo with just a guitar and provide a stellar concert.

You can't really seperate musical performers by how they present their music. They are all musicians. Madonna's earliest concerts were basically just her and a microphone. I miss how she went around promoting Erotica and the performances from American Life.

I understand what you are saying, Madonna adds dancing and visuals. She also a dancer and an artist but I love Madonna sitting down with a guitar. As a dancer and most likely it's her first love, she is going to want to move.

Rollingstone still focuses on the men and then towards the end they add the women.

But where is Alanis Morrisette? She is an amazing live performer and toured last year.

Lady gaga, Taylor swift, jannel monae ;') my god I see better concerts at the local RSL and rockestedford! I'm surprised they did not vote the Boston bomber as a great show, idiot misogynists.

Where the hell is bjork??? No one puts on a show like her!

And yay for tegan and Sara for voting Madonna.

I'm also tired of all those lists putting men before women ALL THE FUCKING TIME. It's not only Rolling Stones, it's ALL "professional" critics. It's the same when they do lists about the best songs or albums of all time, men are ALWAYS first (mainly the Beatles...).

It's SO predictable, those people should have more imagination. But since those lists are almost always done by white straight men, we shouldn't be surprised...