Happy 21st Birthday "A League Of Their Own"

horn

I adore this film. I watched it so many times when I was a kid that I can't watch it too often now, but I don't love it any less :) I think Madonna is perfect for the role she played, and everyone else is fantastic as well. And of course, the film spawned one of the best ballads she ever released, and a gorgeous video. I think the best part was that it was the perfect distraction to get me through the agonizing wait for Erotica :)

I remember seeing this in the theater. It was kind of fun back then to get a Madonna movie every so often...usually followed by a new album. Apparently now we just get never-materializing "secret projects."

Love this film. When it was released, my parents, sister and I were in NYC on a trip and I forced them to go see it with me. I refused to wait until we got home. So we saw it at a theater near Macy's. I was all teenage-brat-attitude about it until they agreed to go too. :lol:

Love it. It's kinda become an Amercian classic here in the states, because of it's constant re-airings on cable.

I use to watch the VHS all the time back in the day.

I adore this film. I watched it so many times when I was a kid that I can't watch it too often now, but I don't love it any less :) I think Madonna is perfect for the role she played, and everyone else is fantastic as well. And of course, the film spawned one of the best ballads she ever released, and a gorgeous video. I think the best part was that it was the perfect distraction to get me through the agonizing wait for Erotica :)

+1

The story is great. Who wrote the story for this film? I saw it with my cousin who heard This Used To Be My Playground before I did. I mignt have been on one of my mini breaks. Madonna is wonderful in it. I think she makes a good supporting actress. Too guarded to be a lead. She doesn't let herself go nearly enough. In Evita she did and it shows.

I think TUBMP was the first sign of the shitstorm that was about to come. She looked sickly in the video (too thin and no eyebrows), and the song's lyrics were so sad and disempowered (none of her usual panache and confidence). Then came the whole Sex book, the Heidi and the gold tooth look, the bad movies, the HIV rumours, the truckload of crap people said about her, David Letterman, etc, etc...

Edited by tek75

What about "Music"? Is that considered a sign of the 00s shitstorm?

She looked plastic in the video, and the song's lyrics were so senseless (none of her usual panache and confidence). Then came the whole AL, the GAP and the Me-Against-The-Music, the bad movies (Swept Away), the plastic surgery rumours, the truckload of crap people said about her, the kiss of death etc etc...

What about "Hung Up"? Is that considered a sign of the mid-00s shitstorm?

She looked 60s in the video, and the song's lyrics were so senseless (none of her usual panache and confidence). Then came the Hey You, the whole HC and the divorce, the A-rod rumours, the Gaga, the truckload of crap little monsters said about her, the gym, the coconut drink etc etc...

Guest Not4Pussies

i remember seeing this when i was a little kid on tbs.

probably around 94 or 95.

i remember loving the movie and loving M's character the most

BUT back then i had no idea, NO IDEA, that Mae was played by Madonna

Doris: Hey Mae, Mae, your date's here.

Mae: How do I look?

Doris: Where'd you get that dress?

Mae: Borrowed it.

Doris: It don't fit you, Mae, it's too tight.

Mae: I don't plan on wearing it that long.

Doris: Ohh. I don't know why you get dressed at all.

Aw. Now ALOTO can go to the Suds Bucket and get a drink legally! :laugh:

Love this film, and love TUTBMP. Somehow, I missed the film in the theaters when I was a kid -- but we got the VHS when it came out, and that's when I fell in love with the movie.

The story is great. Who wrote the story for this film?

A duo of writers created the script. One of them is named Babaloo, I think? They also wrote the script for City Slickers, if I recall.

Yes -- just Googled -- Babaloo Mandel and Lowell Ganz.

Of course, the AAGPBL really existed in the U.S. during WWII, and so it's based somewhat on a real league and real players. Every so often, there's an obituary for one of these great ladies who played in the original league -- and they'll mention who her "counterpart" was in the film. I think the inspiration for Mae's character may have passed away several years ago.

Penny Marshall directed the film. I'm sure she deserves much credit for the film's development, too. I believe she was very passionate about telling this story -- and, so it goes, she was very particular about the casting. Every actress had to be able to play ball -- and Madonna obviously threw herself into this aspect, too.

Holds up very well on repeat viewings. Love it. Added to the National Film Registry in 2012.

What's this, HG?

^ Never mind ... Looked it up myself. Awesome that it has been included. (Hope a Madonna music video gets added someday! Unlikely, but ... since "Bedtime Story" is included in MOMA's permanent collection, there's hope!)

Great movie, funny and moving. It's been ages since last time I see it.

I guess if Madonna would have continued playing secondary roles, her actress career would not been so criticized.

• 8 months later...

Her best film and most famous one as well.

EVERYONE in the US knows this film too a lot of 10-13 year olds who are getting into playing baseball, this is their introduction to Madonna

It's shown here on TV all the time, especially start of baseball season and during playoffs/World Series in October.

Saw this recently on a bus trip to Citi Field to see the Mets, EVERYONE on the bus was quoting this film line by line.

The impact!

I watched this last night. I love this movie more and more every time I see it. I am really glad that Madonna was a part of it and she is wonderful in it.

I saw this on youtube and don't know if anyone has seen it. It is a behind the scenes look and Madonna is in the video a few times throughout.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=LpDZiycrUlo

^ I agree and I usually never cry at films, but the scene where Jimmy Dugan tells Betty that her husband George died in war in the locker room gets me everytime!

I also love the "reaction" shots of Madonna and Rosie