MDNA Press Reviews

Guest groovyguy

Guest groovyguy

MDNA is the many shades of Madonna finally brought together on one album. :bow::inlove:

Madonnatribe

The Australian press was treated with a first listen to Madonna's new album yesterday, and the first reviews are in!

Check out what Kathy McCabe at The Daily Telegraph has to say about MDNA - she wraps her comments with a "Fans should get the deluxe version which includes other bonus tracks including Best friend, B-Day Song and I F...ed Up which are some of her stronger songs."

New Madonna album 'reaffirms' her pop diva status

MDNA is the many shades of Madonna finally brought together on one album.

Opening track Girl Gone Wild reaffirms her mission to be a dancefloor diva who is one step ahead of the pack.

While her pop princess peers have been riding the 90s Euro house bandwagon for the past three years, Her Madgesty takes a defiant detour into darker, edgier and harder territory. Less wave your hands in the air and more get down and get dirty.

You can hear it most strongly on the underground hardcore of Gang Bang which finds Madonna shooting her lover dead and heading straight to hell. It sounds like The Kills if they went electronic and you'll be hearing the lyrical hook "Drive bitch!'' everywhere for the rest of the year.

Those who grew up with poptastic Madonna need not fear - she has not forsaken you.

Like any song with "radio'' in its title, you can expect to hear Turn Up The Radio all over the airwaves. Co-written with French electronic DJ and producer Martin Solveig, it is one of the bigger pop songs on the album and follows a similar template to his smash hit Hello.

Superstar features her daughter Lourdes on backing vocals, I'm A Sinner sounds like Donna Summer doing a less bombastic version of Bollywood while Falling Free is a heart-striing ballad with stripped-back strings and simple synths and the album's bravest vocal performance.

One of the standout tracks is Beautiful Killer, which is earmakred for the deluxe version only.

Inspired by French film star Alain Delon, the songs sounds like it was plucked from a Cafe Del Mar compilation circa mid 1990s.

Fans should get the deluxe version which includes other bonus tracks including Best friend, B-Day Song and I F...ed Up which are some of her stronger songs.

Why they didn't make the "standard'' version is a mystery unless you are one of those cynical types who suspect her record label may be trying to get a few more bucks out of her fans.

MDNA is out on March 23.

Guest groovyguy

http://www.madonnatribe.com/news/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=6713

Forget the different formats, the clean, the explicit, the standard, the deluxe.

MDNA is one single album. It starts with "Girl", and goes up to "Best Friend". It is probably a perfect son of the digital era, as the only place where it will be a continued run is the digital download (can you imagine those iTunes servers, shaking and trembling and getting ready to serve hundreds of thousands of digital pre-orders when the album finally drops?).

As for me, one of the first things I'll do when I'll get my hands on the CD - poor little old fashioned kid of the PCM Wave era - it will be grabbing all 16 tracks from the two discs of the Deluxe package (sorry LMFAO, I love you anyway), grab the acoustic "Love Spent" from the iTunes pack (which will be a first listen to me), and burn them together on a single disc.

Because MDNA is a flow.

It is not sequenced (sorry, it didn't happen after all), but it's like if it was. The songs do not fade, they all have cold ends (thanks, Magnus, for letting me know how to call them), and the space in between may serve to listen to some chattering teeth. Because after some tracks you will be actually wondering "what's next?"

There are a number of first impressions I was left with, and a week later some are stronger than before, and only a few disappeared.

First of all, the reason for I loved MDNA so much is that this album is SO Madonna. I know, it is a lot cliché to say so, but forgive me, it is still very true.

The, I love it is because this record is nothing like you've heard from Madonna before. If it would not sound so bad, I would say it's 2012 Madonna. Reductive, uh?

The key I came up with is: do not compare.

There will certainly be things that will remind you of other things she's done. It can be a certain beat, an instrumentation, the mood of a song or the meaning of some lyrics. But they all blend together as out-of-focus memories of a dream when you wake up in the morning.

Expectations for this album are incredibly high from every point of view.

Working again with William Orbit - who is one of the two people I've always heard the fans say M should collaborate again with - certainly didn't help keep the anticipation at a reasonable level. I really don't want to bring Mother Monster in, but MDNA being the first Madonna album after a certain little (?) something counts, too.

Still, I had the impressione that Madonna was completely free doing this record.

She certainly knew she was going to have everyone waiting for her on the line, ready to take notes and make judgements.

And she did what she does best: She didn't give A.

You'll be able to figure her working her ass out in the studio, sometimes having fun, putting her best into it, and torturing her producers, too (and we all would love to be tortured that way, wouldn't we?).

I didn't take many notes on my paper sheet while listening to the album, but one I certainly want to keep is "She has nothing to prove".

The RollingStone review good or bad is the worst review i have read from them EVER. It's terrible.

Really though :confused: It sounds like it was written by a 13 year old crackhead.

Could that Rolling Stone review be more pretentious and stupid ?? Was he smoking the good shit when he wrote that ?

It's like he reviewed 1 song. Anyone who calls this review decent is f*cked up.

And what was with that opening line...

"Early one morning the sun was shining and she was lying in bed, wondering why he had her cash and if her hair was still red"

WTF IS THAT SHIT?! :lmao::lmao::lmao:

And what was with that opening line...

"Early one morning the sun was shining and she was lying in bed, wondering why he had her cash and if her hair was still red"

WTF IS THAT SHIT?! :lmao::lmao::lmao:

This is the review they are going to publish in the magazine? LOL

Ray of light 4.5 stars

MUsic. 4 Stars

American life 3 stars

COADF. 4 stars

HC. 4 stars..

MDNA deserves more than 3.5..

I agree that the review could have been more substantial, but it's extremely favorable and forgives many of the flaws we know are probably there. But how can you say it "deserves" more than 3.5 when you haven't even heard the whole thing? Based on the snippets, 3.5 sounds about right. That's above average.

Rolling Stone

Early one morning the sun was shining and she was lying in bed, wondering why he had her cash and if her hair was still red. An idea for a song bubbled, and she wasn’t sure if this one should be about heartbreak, revenge or the old get-into-the-groove thing. And then – light bulb! – why not multitask it? That was her therapy, after all. Failure? Not an option. Resistance to her will? Futile. The husband who was no longer there? Well, it was nice sometimes to imagine his head popping like a melon. Till death and all that. Now — where did she put her phone?

Yup, MDNA is our lady’s divorce album. Seven out of 16 songs address her split directly, and that’s low-balling if you think the chick with “fake tits and a nasty mood” in “Some Girls” could be the lingerie model who became Guy Ritchie’s new baby mama.

Revealing herself has always been part of her art, and this is hardly her first album that’s dark, messy and conflicted. But MDNA stands as Madonna’s most explicit work. Only who would have expected her to be this explicit with her… feelings?

How explicit?

“Wake up, ex-wife/This is your life.”

“I tried to be you wife/Diminished myself, I swallowed my light.”

“Lawyers/Suck it up/Didn’t have a prenup.”

“Every man that walks through that door will be compared to you for evermore.”

She’s been personal, but never this detailed before. In part, it’s an old punk-rock impulse: Show the world no one can hurt you more than you hurt yourself. Except she has cross-wired exposure and pain, which gives this set of confessions their discomforting immediacy.

As the beats swirl, Madonna pursues release, vows to rise above and wishes things had turned out differently. She also sings about new love (fits like a glove), and asks for someone to lick the frosting off her cake on “B-Day Song.” The music chases the latest articulations of club land ecstasy, but often returns to the blend of synth-driven electro and Sixties-pop classicism she’s staked out since “Like a Prayer.” Back after a 12-year layoff is William Orbit, who handles the most pained tracks (including “Gang Bang,” which bitch-slaps Ritchie’s shoot’em -up aesthetic with a nod to Kill Bill). New in town is Martin Solveig, the French producer behind the cheerleader fantasy of “Give me all your Luvin’” who is forced to curb his love of Prince, in service of sounding like William Orbit. Handling the big dance-floor tracks are Italian duo Benny and Alle Benassi, who put the empty boom of the club into songs like “Girl Gone Wild.”

Hooks emerge quickly; there’s lots of naughtiness for the DJ to bring back, and the music has depth that rewards repeated listening. The first impression is a desperation most people will mistake for Madonna’s old impulse for commercial connection. That’s never far away, but this is something far more personal. There’s something remarkable about Madonna’s decision to share her suffering the way she once shared her pleasure. Her music has always been about liberation from oppression, but for the first time the oppression is internal: loss and sadness. Stars – they really are just like us.

Key Tracks: “I Don’t Give A,” “B-Day Song,” “Love Spent”

Joe Levy – 3.5 / 5

Read more: http://www.madonnarama.com/posts-en/2012/03/07/madonna-mdna-reviews/#ixzz1pHe3XTLd

Yeah, 3.5 to the divorce and her loss and sadness feelings but how about the freaking record?

I agree that the review could have been more substantial, but it's extremely favorable and forgives many of the flaws we know are probably there. But how can you say it "deserves" more than 3.5 when you haven't even heard the whole thing? Based on the snippets, 3.5 sounds about right. That's above average.

I agree that none of us can really say it "deserves" any less or more since we haven't heard it, but at the same time how can you say "3.5 sounds about right" if you hadn't heard it as well? The difference is... this Rolling Stone writer obviously heard the full album. In my personal opinion, his review doesn't necessarily review the complete album properly. I can say that because between the three full songs I've heard and the number of clips we heard, I can come up with something far more substantial. And yes, some of what he said especially at the beginning makes no sense to what he's reviewing. I'm baffled by the Sun and red hair comments and how that even relates? That all said; ROLLING STONE is hardly the magazine it used to be. I wouldn't be bothered by it too much because in the end, I suspect most of us will enjoy the album far more than any of these reviewers who got an advanced listen.

I agree that none of us can really say it "deserves" any less or more since we haven't heard it, but at the same time how can you say "3.5 sounds about right" if you hadn't heard it as well?

He did say "based on the snippets"...

You haven't heard the whole thing too, and you have the nerve to say BASED ON THE SNIPPETS 3.5 SOUNDS ABOUT RIGHT. :vomit:

Please invent a time machine, go back to 1989, and never return. Thanks.

Guest LeJazzHot!

Yeah it's a great rating. Sade's Lovers Rock and Lady Gaga's Fame Monster both got 3.5 stars and they both won the Pop Vocal Album Grammy

Guest Pud Whacker

You haven't heard the whole thing too, and you have the nerve to say BASED ON THE SNIPPETS 3.5 SOUNDS ABOUT RIGHT. :vomit:

:rotfl:

:clap:

Guest Pud Whacker

and just to educate the ma-idiots - LIKE A PRAYER got 3 1/2 stars from RS, as well.

this is joe levy - a real music journalist WITH CREDENTIALS. thank god.

RS sucks and has for years. I am glad they gave the album a high rating just to keep the good review streak unbroken, but in recent years they have become more of a political magazine than a music one. Their review of American Life similarly failed to talk about the music.

Guest Xanthium

and just to educate the ma-idiots - LIKE A PRAYER got 3 1/2 stars from RS, as well.

LAP is not my favorite Madonna album by a long shot but to give it only 3.5 is a TRAVESTY. The album is a MASTERPIECE and despite needing to be remastered it sounds to this day as brilliant as ever.

Guest Pud Whacker

usually i stay away from these discussions because the idiocy level is so high BUT what are you people talking about?

its a great review. WHAT ELSE DO YOU WANT?

BEST :lmao: