Madonna Apparel Line For MACYS

TOUR2008

http://www.wwd.com/markets-news/madonna-said-in-talks-for-apparel-line-2480030?src=nl/newsAlert/20100216&browsets=937049807159#/article/markets-news/madonna-said-in-talks-for-apparel-line-2480030

Madonna Said in Talks for Apparel Line

by David Lipke

Posted Tuesday February 16, 2010

From WWD Issue 02/16/2010

In the growing love affair between celebrity and fashion, one of the biggest names out there is close to getting into the groove: Madonna.

The pop icon is in talks to launch a contemporary women’s collection with a group of licensees that would be sold exclusively at Macy’s, according to sources. The merchandise would include apparel, accessories, intimates and footwear. Label names under serious consideration for the product lines include Material Girl for the apparel and Truth or Dare for the lingerie and underwear.

“Truth or Dare” was the title of a 1991 film, which documented Madonna’s groundbreaking Blonde Ambition worldwide concert tour.

Madonna’s longtime publicist, Liz Rosenberg, did not return calls Monday seeking comment. A Macy’s spokesman also declined comment.

Iconix Brand Group Inc. is involved in the negotiations for the venture, according to sources, and Madonna has made visits to the company’s New York offices. Iconix is a brand management firm, which owns and licenses 21 brands, including Candie’s, Bongo, Rampage, London Fog, Rocawear, Danskin and Badgley Mischka. The brands ring up $10 billion in retail sales in total, according to the company.

An Iconix spokeswoman declined to confirm or deny a potential Madonna deal. “Iconix has no comment on this story,” she said.

However, sources said a deal is close to being signed.

Iconix has experience working with pop superstars, having re-signed Britney Spears last month to a second year representing the Candie’s brand, which is sold exclusively at Kohl’s.

If a Madonna-Iconix deal with Macy’s does come to fruition, it would be the latest in a string of recent tie-ups between celebrities and fashion brands. Sarah Jessica Parker has invested in Halston and been named its chief creative officer and president; Lindsay Lohan is artistic adviser at Ungaro, and Victoria Beckham, Beyoncé Knowles, Jay-Z, Gwen Stefani and Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen have prominent fashion lines of their own. Knowles also just launched a fragrance of her own, Heat, with Coty Inc., which is expected to generate revenues of more than $100 million worldwide in its first year.

Yet the misses in the celebrity fashion game far outnumber the hits. Jessica Simpson has a successful footwear collection with Camuto Group, but has had troubles in the sportswear category, recently signing a license with Jones Apparel Group Inc. for a jeanswear collection. Jennifer Lopez was never able to build a sustainable business with Sweetface and JLO; Eve repeatedly relaunched her Fetish brand only to have it lapse; Paris and Nicky Hilton’s fashion collections petered out, and lines from the likes of Whitney Port quickly fizzled.

Madonna is Madonna, however, and she remains one of the world’s most recognizable stars. The 51-year-old’s previous forays into the fashion business have been numerous and memorable. She currently appears in the Dolce & Gabbana spring advertising campaign, and has previously appeared in ads for Louis Vuitton, Versace and Gap. Madonna walked the runway topless for Jean-Paul Gaultier in 1992 and has cropped up in the front row of shows on occasion, including Marc Jacobs last season.

In spring 2007, Madonna created a co-branded women’s collection with H&M, under the M by Madonna label. “Madonna has an impressive feel for fashion and trends. She was extraordinarily style conscious, passionate and was involved in even the smallest details of every design,” said Margareta van den Bosch, head of H&M design at that time.

She clearly is eager to branch out from performing, with reports that she may write and direct a film about the romance between Wallis Simpson and Edward, the Prince of Wales, called “W.E.” She also is said to be preparing a worldwide tour for later this year.

The singer is known to demand total creative control over her projects, which is one of the reasons she has yet to launch a fragrance, even though she has tried to do so for more than a decade. Beauty companies have been reluctant to meet her financial demands, while many question whether her appeal remains as strong as it once was.

Add Note Clip Add a Comment Send to a friend Print A- A A+

Read the full article by SUBSCRIBING today!

Subscribe now to WWD.COM, for complete access to breaking news, events and trends that shape the world of fashion and retail markets, including Accessories, Intimates, Sportswear, and more.

Subscription includes:

Immediate access to breaking news 24/7, now via WWD Mobile.

Market-specific content everyday on the dedicated Markets channel.

Markets coverage in WWD Morning Report daily email newsletter delivered right to your inbox.

Downloadable PDF of WWD daily issues including special sections of FAST, Accessories, Intimates and more for immediate worldwide access.

Full access to all of WWD.COM now including 12months of Archived content.

Search, comment on, clip and save articles and images.

Read it anytime, anywhere.

Start your subscription now for only 27 cents per day!Click to SUBSCRIBE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sign in to your accountUsername (Cannot be empty)

Lost Username/Password? Password (Cannot be empty)

Remember Me

LOGIN

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DOWNLOAD PDF

RSS url=_markets_news_madonna_said_in_talks_for_apparel_line_2480030_decorator_zero_confirm_true;

login=n;

kw=;

true

Sending...CloseSend to a Friend

Your Name (Cannot be empty)

Your Email (Cannot be empty)

Send me a copy of this email

Your Friend's Email (Cannot be empty)

(Place semi-colons between multiple addresses)

Your Message (0/2000) (Please remove all HTML code)

CancelSend

Success!Your Email was sent succesfully.

DoneSend Another Error!Your Email was not sent.

DoneSend Another 0 Comments 2480030

:manson: When you copy/paste web articles, delete all of that irrelevant crap and coding from the page. A bunch of that makes it annoying to read here.

The part about the tour later this year is the best information here. Just further confirmation to the Fall Tour that is happening as of right now.

Hmmm...I am not sure it is hardcore confirmation. After all they did say "she may write and direct..." and we know she has already written her script and completed it (per her ICON letter in Oct/November). I don't think they know anything more than we do.

erm, it's lourdes who wears (american) apparel all the time so it would make more sense if she'd make a clothing line for them (i'm not saying she should of course, but it would make more sense than M doing it, it's more of a teenage clothing line)

Guest ursaminorjim

American Apparel - overpriced hipster slut wear. Ugh.

Still, it's a step up from her proposed collaboration with Ed Hardy, at least. :lmao:

Stick to music and raising children, Madonna.

Guest dicktracy

http://www.design-training.com/news/20100216/909/madonna-may-become-macys-latest-fashion-designer.html

Pop icon Madonna could become the latest entertainer to enter the world of fashion design, as the singer is currently in talks with Macy''s to launch an exclusive collection, Women''s Wear Daily reports.

The self-proclaimed material girl will have the opportunity to express her love for all things worldly by lending her design skills to a line of apparel, intimates, accessories and footwear, according to the media outlet.

Insiders say that Truth or Dare - the name of a 1991 film that documented Madonna''s Blonde Ambition tour - is under consideration for the name of the underwear and lingerie collections.

The news source says that Iconix Brand Group - which owns and licenses brands such as Candie’s, Bongo, Rampage, London Fog, Rocawear, Danskin and Badgley Mischka - is involved in negotiations for the line, which is expected to be contracted soon.

A deal with Macy''s would not be the artist''s first project in the fashion world, as she previously designed a line for H and M called M by Madonna, according to TransWorldNews.

Guest bluejean

I don't agree, I think it's a good business venture for her. I mean obviously she's doing it for the money. I'm surprised she didn't do this 5 or so years ago.

Already posted?

http://forums.madonnanation.com/index.php?showtopic=30504

Anyway, isn't Macy's more upscale than H&M? I really don't care what she does in this realm as I won't be buying any of it.

Yes, Macy's has a wide variety of clothes from cheap discount stuff to more upscale designer things, whereas H&M is all cheap and discount. In some places in the US, Macy's is the only department store people have access to, so they cater to a wide range of tastes and incomes.

I would never wear American Apparel's actual regular clothes as they are kind of tacky, but I have bought their dance/athletic clothes to wear to the gym. They are very reasonably priced, well made and stylish for that.

• 3 weeks later...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703701004575113343704834562.html?mod=WSJ_latestheadlines

Madonna, Iconix Form Joint Branding Venture

By TESS STYNES

Iconix Brand Group Inc. and an entity controlled by entertainer Madonna and her manager Guy Oseary are forming a joint venture to develop and acquire brands.

The company, a brand manager whose holdings include Candie's and Roca Wear, said the MG Icon venture entered into an exclusive license and services agreement that allows the use of Madonna's name and personality in connection with apparel, footwear and other products. The entertainer agreed to provide creative services related to development and promotion of the venture's brands.

Iconix said MG Icon will soon announce a direct-to-retail agreement with Macy's Inc.

Iconix launched five direct-to-retail partnerships in the U.S. last year, while renewing four. It also formed a third international joint venture and acquired stakes in Ecko and Ed Hardy.

Madonna said in a release, "Joining forces with Iconix to bring my fashion ideas to consumers is very exciting for me." She said she looks forward to working closely with Iconix "to create and translate my vision and ideas for MG Icon."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703701004575113343704834562.html?mod=WSJ_latestheadlines

Madonna, Iconix Form Joint Branding Venture

By TESS STYNES

Iconix Brand Group Inc. and an entity controlled by entertainer Madonna and her manager Guy Oseary are forming a joint venture to develop and acquire brands.

The company, a brand manager whose holdings include Candie's and Roca Wear, said the MG Icon venture entered into an exclusive license and services agreement that allows the use of Madonna's name and personality in connection with apparel, footwear and other products. The entertainer agreed to provide creative services related to development and promotion of the venture's brands.

Iconix said MG Icon will soon announce a direct-to-retail agreement with Macy's Inc.

Iconix launched five direct-to-retail partnerships in the U.S. last year, while renewing four. It also formed a third international joint venture and acquired stakes in Ecko and Ed Hardy.

Madonna said in a release, "Joining forces with Iconix to bring my fashion ideas to consumers is very exciting for me." She said she looks forward to working closely with Iconix "to create and translate my vision and ideas for MG Icon."

* MG Icon to announce direct-to-retail with Macy's

March 10 (Reuters) - Iconix Brand Group Inc (ICON.O) said it formed a joint venture with pop icon Madonna to launch fashion brands in the United States as well as in international markets.

The joint venture, called MG Icon, will be 50 percent owned by Iconix and 50 percent by Madonna and Guy Oseary, her long-time manager.

MG Icon has an exclusive license and services agreement with Madonna to use her name for apparel, footwear and other products.

The joint venture will also announce a direct-to-retail agreement with Macy's Inc (M.N) imminently, Iconix said.

Madonna is best known for her hit singles like "Like a Virgin" and "Material Girl."

Iconix owns and licenses brands including Candie's, Joe Boxer and Badgley Mischka, and has licensing deals with retailers like Target Corp (TGT.N), Wal-Mart Stores Inc (WMT.N) and Kohl's Corp (KSS.N).

"Our strategy is to introduce brands formed through the joint venture in multiple countries and organically expand worldwide," Iconix Chief Executive Neil Cole said.

REUTERS:

March 10 (Reuters) - Iconix Brand Group Inc (ICON.O) said it formed a joint venture with pop icon Madonna to launch fashion brands globally, starting with a juniors collection to be sold at Macy's Inc (M.N) this August.

The fast-fashion juniors collection, aptly called "Material Girl," will be launched in about 200 Macy's stores and online in time for the back-to-school season.

The collection was designed by Madonna and her teenage daughter Lourdes Leon in collaboration with Iconix's in-house fashion department, the company said.

As part of the direct-to-retail license agreement, Macy's will have the opportunity to launch additional brands in the future with the joint venture, MG Icon.

MG Icon, which will be 50 percent owned by Iconix and 50 percent by Madonna and Guy Oseary, her long-time manager, has an exclusive license and services agreement with the singer to use her name for apparel, footwear and other products.

Fifty-one-year-old Madonna's first major hit was "Like a Virgin" in 1984, followed by other chartbusters such as "Material Girl" and "Papa Don't Preach."

Iconix owns and licenses brands including Candie's, Joe Boxer and Badgley Mischka, and has licenses its products to retailers like Target Corp (TGT.N), Wal-Mart Stores Inc (WMT.N) and Kohl's Corp (KSS.N).

"Our strategy is to introduce brands formed through the joint venture in multiple countries and organically expand worldwide," Iconix Chief Executive Neil Cole said.

Shares of New York-based Iconix were trading down slightly at $15.21 Wednesday morning on Nasdaq.

Looks like she's shepherding Lola into the business world (and possibly fashion design - much like Stella McCartney).

More from NY Mag:

Madonna just signed a giant fashion deal that will enable her to have hands in multiple existing brands as well as start new ones. Along with her manager, Guy Oseary, she forms MG Icon with brand-management firm Iconix, which owns labels like Candie's and Rampage along with stakes in other labels, such as Ed Hardy. Madonna and Guy (the "G" in "MG Icon," which surprisingly doesn't stand for "Material Girl Icon") will own a 50 percent stake in the company while Iconix owns the other half.

This new deal should enable Madonna, whose control-freak tendencies are said to have gotten in the way of fashion and beauty deals in the past, to finally get a fragrance off the ground. She could also endorse labels like Danskin and always-scary Jersey Shore favorite Ed Hardy. But this doesn't just mean she'll wear the stuff: Control freak that she is, "she'd probably be involved in design, photo shoots, everything," says the CEO of Iconix.

But before she can straddle "the Situation" in a music video (Jesus who?), she's rolling out a juniors' lifestyle collection for Macy's, inspired by her 13-year-old daughter Lourdes. The line will start with apparel, footwear, handbags, and jewelry ranging in price from $12 to $40 and will hit stores in time for back-to-school.

Lourdes is heavily involved in the line, and goes to design meetings with Macy's executives, such as chief merchandising officer Jeff Gennette. "Lourdes has an incredible sense of style," he told WWD. No details on what the line will actually look like have been provided.

Read more: Madonna to Launch Lourdes-Inspired Juniors’ Line at Macy’s -- The Cut http://nymag.com/daily/fashion/2010/03/madonna_to_launch_lourdes-insp.html#ixzz0hmxkDhuo

Can I just say that I'm glad some of you aren't in charge of Madonna's career. :manson: Anyway, I love Madonna's fashion adventures as much as her music!!! She's got great taste as well as Lourdes! This will jump start Lourdes' career in fashion if that's what she wants to do.

Guest chatty kathy

Madonna’s Next Role: Fashion Designer!

March 10th, 2010

From global pop sensation to high fashion model, is there anything Madonna can’t do? Apparently not. Joining forces with Iconix Brand Group, Inc. (the company behind such labels as Candie’s and Badgley Mischka), the Queen of Pop is set to take the fashion world by storm with the launch of her own style empire, called MG Icon. “Joining forces with Iconix to bring my fashion ideas to consumers is very exciting for me,” says Madonna in a press release. First up will be a junior collection, appropriately labeled Material Girl. Launching exclusively at Macy’s stores and Macys.com in August 2010, Material Girl will include apparel, footwear, handbags and jewelry — all retailing from $12-$40. The collection was inspired and designed by both Madonna and her daughter Lourdes along with the in-house fashion team at Iconix Brand Group. And come 2011, Madonna plans to add beauty and fragrance options to her juniors line, so stay tuned for more details on Madonna’s growing fashion brand. For now, we’re counting down the days till we see what cutting-edge designs this quirky mother-daughter team come up with!

Source: http://stylenews.peoplestylewatch.com/2010/03/10/madonnas-next-role-fashion-designer/?xid=rss-topheadlines